Suits

• Please log in to reply

3654 replies to this topic

morgankobi

morgankobi

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 7, 2011 @ 3:21 PM

Didn't see a thread yet. Apologies if I missed it!

SUITS - A NEW ORIGINAL SERIES
PREMIERES THURSDAY JUNE 23 10/9C!

Even the best lawyer in New York City can use some help. While running from a drug deal gone bad, Mike Ross (Patrick J. Adams), a brilliant young college-dropout, slips into a job interview with one of New York City's best legal closers, Harvey Specter (Gabriel Macht). Tired of cookie-cutter law school grads, Harvey takes a gamble by hiring Mike on the spot after he recognizes his raw talent and photographic memory.

I know this is odd, but the fact that the two leads look similar to each other is off-putting. They are the same kind of handsome to me, which seems like a waste. (Whereas the leads in White Collar, for example, are different kinds of handsome.)

I'm still in, though, as I think the premise is interesting enough to start with, and Mike seems likable enough (even though I know the actor from when he played a creep in the episode "Murder 2.0" from NCIS).

Edited by morgankobi, Jun 7, 2011 @ 3:29 PM.

swanpride

swanpride

Fanatic

Posted Jun 7, 2011 @ 3:36 PM

The premise reminds me strongly of White Collar, with the difference, that this time around the leads have to reform each other...which means: sounds interesting.

morgankobi

morgankobi

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 10, 2011 @ 1:06 AM

5 minute clip

morgankobi

morgankobi

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 20, 2011 @ 1:41 AM

The reviews I've seen online so far are generally positive. Here's a pretty good one that doesn't give anything away that's not in the ads, but still gives a pretty decent overview of the dynamic.

I'm getting some pretty serious Nathan Petrelli vibes off the still shots of Harvey. (It's definitely the hair and the square chin!)

Also note that this first episode is 90 minutes (well, 82/83 according to USA's schedule...)

Edited by morgankobi, Jun 20, 2011 @ 1:43 AM.

callietwo

callietwo

Fanatic

Posted Jun 23, 2011 @ 10:29 PM

I really liked this first episode though I could do without the disciplinarian partner. He was annoying and I think if they don't tone him down, his schtick will get old, fast.

loriro

loriro

Fanatic

Posted Jun 23, 2011 @ 11:02 PM

I liked it a lot...I find the actor who plays Mike Ross to be really likeable, which is key for that role. Gabriel Macht's character is a bit smarmy, but still underneath it all isn't a bad guy and I enjoyed their rapport.

And I did get a kick out of the "Devlin McGregor" shout-out... someone on the writing staff must have been a "Fugitive" (Harrison Ford version) fan.

I'm in.

Trini Girl

Trini Girl

Stalker

Posted Jun 23, 2011 @ 11:07 PM

Well that wasn't bad. I'm not into lawyer shows, but since this is coming on after Burn Notice I'll probably be watching occasionally.

Catgirl14

Catgirl14

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 23, 2011 @ 11:12 PM

I liked it a lot. I like intelligent, snarky men and this show has them in abundance. Plus, I loved the whole Dean Wormer moment, how could that guy not pick up on the Animal House reference? It reminds me of White Collar, and it one of the few USA shows that I can form an addiction for, so I'll be watching. I hope they can keep up the energy from the first episode and doesn't drag down into stupid town.

The guy Trevor, who I disliked on sight, will undoubtedly be around to temp Mike back to the wrong path. I also like the two woman who work at the firm, sorry I forgot the names. Keep them.

Edited by Catgirl14, Jun 23, 2011 @ 11:14 PM.

loriro

loriro

Fanatic

Posted Jun 23, 2011 @ 11:16 PM

I loved the whole Dean Wormer moment, how could that guy not pick up on the Animal House reference?

Thank you Catgirl14! I knew there was another reference in the pilot besides the "fugitive" one, but couldn't remember it. That cracked me up...

hilaryvm

hilaryvm

Fanatic

Posted Jun 24, 2011 @ 12:25 AM

I didn't like it much at all. Even though I'm a lawyer, I tend to turn a blind eye to the inaccuracies of legal tv shows. However, these were all just so silly. I mean, a case isn't going to go to deposition or trial that quickly at all. While it's true that rooms full of boxes can be turned over as evidence, they don't give the other side just a few days to go through it all. Trials take years sometimes, and I just really didn't like the time pressure of it all which was so ridiculous.

Also, lawyers come out of law school having lots of book knowledge, but not knowing how to fill out a subpoena would not be a surprising problem. Of course, any enterprising new lawyer would just find an old one and copy the form.

I don't know, the whole show just seemed cookie cutter and some of the lines seemed so cliched, I don't know...maybe I'll give it one more show, but I just thought it was pretty bad all around.

BrooklynChick

BrooklynChick

Channel Surfer

Posted Jun 24, 2011 @ 12:41 AM

I liked the show overall. Maybe I'm a little biased because I like Gabriel Macht. This was one of the stronger pilots I've watched recently. I generally think pilots are terrible.

YumYum

YumYum

Fanatic

Posted Jun 24, 2011 @ 1:39 AM

A good pilot, I liked it. I think the "Hey, folks....do you see the great bromance we're setting up here!" at the end was a little overdone. Both guys were well cast -- I kept thinking that Harvey went to the Brian Kinney School of Narcissism. Yes, I liked it.

giovannif7

giovannif7

Fanatic

Posted Jun 24, 2011 @ 3:42 AM

I enjoyed the pilot too, once I got past the ridiculous premise. For me, this one is going to sink or swim on the strength of the two male leads, and their on-screen rapport. I'm engaged by both of them so far, and I like the budding mentor/friendship/bromance possibilities. Plus, Gina Torres is always worth watching. I've just decided to let go of the nonsensical setup that he "never went to law school but now works at a firm that only hires Harvard grads." Most of my favorite shows have some silly part of their premise that I have to overlook anyway, so this is no different.

DashDixon

DashDixon

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 24, 2011 @ 6:20 AM

No. Just no. Gina, I thought I could watch you in anything...guess not.

swanpride

swanpride

Fanatic

Posted Jun 24, 2011 @ 6:22 AM

I'm not blown away, but interested...it was fun, although I couldn't help to see the parallels to White Collar (they even reused one or two locations). But I admit, for the moment I only route for one of the leads....

Accord64

Accord64

Video Archivist

Posted Jun 24, 2011 @ 6:34 AM

I didn't intend to watch this pilot, but sort of found myself there after Burn Notice.

It started with some promise, but after it ended I could only conclude to myself is that these characters are the reason lawyer jokes were invented. I found it difficult to like anyone but the Paralegal who thought showing off was annoying. After second thought, I don't like her much either.

The whole office seemed to be one of those places that made me wonder why anyone would actually want to work there, and thus begged the question if this is a show I really wanted to come back and watch. I think not.

DeadIrishWriter

DeadIrishWriter

Video Archivist

Posted Jun 24, 2011 @ 8:03 AM

I think they should rename this show Snarks. There isn't a single character (besides dumb drug dealer and his dumb girlfriend) who doesn't have a sharp tongue, and I love it. I appreciate that, while the series centers around two smart hot-shot lawyers, these men are surrounded by quick-witted women who take shit and dish it right back out.

I also looooooove Gina Torres and her being in this show was a complete surprise. However, as for weak characters, I also can't help feeling that dumb drug dealer and dumb girlfriend are going to get killed by other dumb drug dealers. Or: dumb drug dealer gets killed (season finale?) and dumb girlfriend sticks around to be another love interest for Mike, since they had to have a Sexual Tension Tie Adjustment together. I hope I'm wrong.

I'm not a fan of lawyer shows, and this one looks to be very case-of-the-week (unfortunately), but if they keep airing it after Burn Notice, and the characters keep being this entertaining, I'm game.

Edited by DeadIrishWriter, Jun 24, 2011 @ 8:12 AM.

swanpride

swanpride

Fanatic

Posted Jun 24, 2011 @ 8:15 AM

I don't know...I mean, everyone is snarking at each other, but most of this talks are lacking wit. The jokes are fairly old, the comebacks I have heard a couple of times. I really hope that they step this up a little bit.

Todd

Todd

Video Archivist

Posted Jun 24, 2011 @ 8:50 AM

Rick Hoffman is a huge ham with cloves sticking out of him. He will always be The Guy At The End Of Hostel (spoiler alert!) to me, and thus he creeps me the hell out.

fashionkills

fashionkills

Fanatic

Posted Jun 24, 2011 @ 10:12 AM

Hmmm, I think I like this show, mainly because the acting and line delivery is sharp. It's really lifting a show that would otherwise be quite ordinary. I really liked the line delivery of "I love you" by Patrick J. Adams who plays Mike Ross. Also, Gabriel Macht is impossibly debonair.

Catgirl14

Catgirl14

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 24, 2011 @ 10:19 AM

Yes, I agree that the show has a ridiculous premise, but I do enjoy the leads and make that the three lead female characters at the law firm. The utterly dickish other lawyer needs to dial it back down because I'm already tired of him, and unfortunately that actor plays the same type all the time.

Right after, I saw Covert Affairs, a show that I cannot get into no matter who is on it, it just bores me. Since it follows Burn Notice and there is little to watch on Thursday, I am very willing to give it a try.

bumblehare74

bumblehare74

Fanatic

Posted Jun 24, 2011 @ 10:27 AM

As far as Pilots go, I thought this was far better than most. It will be interesting to see where they go from here with it. I hope it isn't going to be a weekly case of will he or won't he get outed as a non-lawyer. I hope it doesn't end up being case where his so called friends find out that he is working as a lawyer and they try to blackmail him.

The one thing that I did find that was so unbelievable, was that those drug dealers didn't track him down and try to find out what happened to their marijuana. They would have known that he wasn't arrested, and I don't think they would have simply relied on sending that dude that they held at gun point out to retrieve their marijuana. It would have made more sense for them to hold the dude hostage and then contact the non-lawyer in an effort to get their marijuana back.

gotta love it

gotta love it

Fanatic

Posted Jun 24, 2011 @ 11:28 AM

Usually Pilots are a little ehhhhh, so I stick with a show for a few episodes to see if it will be good. However, this Pilot was pretty good and I hope the show keeps the trend.

I hope it isn't going to be a weekly case of will he or won't he get outed as a non-lawyer.

Yeah, that's what I'm afraid of.

I too see the resemblances to White Collar and only hope that it will turn out as fun as that. Also, whoever said the two leads look alike is right, one is just older and more slick.

Redtracer

Redtracer

Fanatic

Posted Jun 24, 2011 @ 11:45 AM

If nothing else, this show will be a continual reminder of how fashion-challenged I am. I can kinda see how Harvey's suits were better than Mike's first one, but all the talk about the skinny tie? Went right over my head. Ties all look the same to me.

3headedmonkey

3headedmonkey

Fanatic

Posted Jun 24, 2011 @ 1:34 PM

Am I crazy or did it look like they were filming on The Good Wife's sets?

wickedgirl

wickedgirl

Video Archivist

Posted Jun 24, 2011 @ 1:41 PM

Typical USA show, which is not to say bad - love most of them anyway.

I just love how sly it is, and I do not mind the premise at all, because if I did, I would probably NOT watch any USA shows... I mean, a fake psychic gets hired regularly by the police? Ex CIA spy starts working as Superman in Miami? Doctor saves a poor kid instead of rich guy, get fired then hired by sick mega-ultra-rich nobility Europe guy? If premises were the breaking point, I would probably not be passing them.

But with USA shows it is about characters, even when they are exaggerated geniuses that are best in their job, like, always but with one "fatal" flaw that keeps them on edge... but you start, or at least I did, caring about them, and they are entertaining as hell.

Judging by the structure of other USA show, this one will also have a series/season arc that gets addressed 5 minutes each episode. I wonder what it will be - hopefully it is not just "will they find out about Harvard" issue.

Also, I love how polished the production is.

Overall, looking forward to next week's episode.

Am I crazy or did it look like they were filming on The Good Wife's sets?

Oh yes, the courtroom was *totally* from TGW. I thought to myself "where is ALicia?" :)

TigerKitty

TigerKitty

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jun 24, 2011 @ 1:47 PM

This was so much like White Collar that I kept wondering when Matt Bomer would show up.

I guess they missed the point that the only reason a lot of us watch White Collar is because of him--and his looks. Just putting a different guy in great suits doesn't do it for me.

By the way, since there were a few mentions of Burn Notice - does anyone know why there is no forum for that show?

callietwo

callietwo

Fanatic

Posted Jun 24, 2011 @ 1:51 PM

By the way, since there were a few mentions of Burn Notice - does anyone know why there is no forum for that show?

It's here: http://forums.televi...owtopic=3152482

I know it had a WC vibe of sorts but it's still a different show and fun enough so far (with one show down)

I HOPE the drug dealing friend is not the story arc that is going to last all season but I think it's probably the case.

wickedgirl

wickedgirl

Video Archivist

Posted Jun 24, 2011 @ 1:52 PM

There definitely used to be a separate forum for BN, no idea where has it gone.

Maybe a moderator could answer :)

Cosmosgravitati

Cosmosgravitati

Video Archivist

Posted Jun 24, 2011 @ 2:01 PM

I quite liked it. The characters interested me, so I'll be sticking around for awhile.

The premise is a little unbelievable, but that's the point.

Hopefully the weekly cases will be well done. I was a little disappointed they rushed this week's case. I was hoping they would take a new approach and have the same case last several episodes.

As one doesn't need a law degree to take the bar exam, I do wonder why Mike doesn't at least take the bar exam under his real name. I think that way neither he nor the other lawyer could be disbarred for having him practicing law. Fired probably, but not disbarred. Once they were found out and fired three or four years down the road, they could start their own firm.