SillyMamma

Fanatic

Posted Jun 3, 2012 @ 11:28 PM

Wow. Vast improvement. And Saul Tigh!

BooBear

BooBear

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 4, 2012 @ 5:52 AM

Wow this show just delivers. Thank you Jeff Davis for providing quality work. And also, apparently listening to the number one complaint about Scott... HE STOPPED COMPLAINING. Although maybe it doesn't fit with the time line, Scott did seem to grow up overnight and now seems to have accepted his "condition", be actively using his powers to help, and has stopped seeming to think everything is about him. His character seemed much more mature.

Loved the opening credits but wonder what the oil slicked thing is.

I don't love grandpa at the moment. He seemed to be a poor actor.. but maybe he will grow on me. The kid from the cemetery seems like a good character. I wonder why Derek is targeting him. I love that Jackson is still the same ass he always has been.

Although good, I thought it was a bit of a stall. Not a ton happened. But perhaps we will see more tonight.

SillyMamma

SillyMamma

Fanatic

Posted Jun 4, 2012 @ 1:28 PM

Don't love grandpa at the moment. He seemed to be a poor actor.

Problem is bad writing, not bad actor. He's *awesome*. But the "they killed my daughter so we'll abandon our code" is going to get old fast. She murdered. He just murdered. Fine. We're over it. I hope they resolve this next episode at the latest.

I love that Jackson is still the same ass he always has been.

A reformed Jackson would kill the show for me. Love the scary drippy black nose stuff -- some nice tension there that I hope isn't resolved stupidly.

portfino

portfino

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 4, 2012 @ 2:29 PM

Jackson's black blood is the most interesting thing. I think it was smart not to turn Jackson into a werewolf, but I also hope he's not some other kind of supernatural being.

My guess, which will probably be proven wrong tonight, is that he is some kind of Alpha human (which admittedly would be somewhat supernatural) and so his body rejects any attempt at transformation and/or being "beta'd."

Bruinsfan

Bruinsfan

Stalker

Posted Jun 4, 2012 @ 7:26 PM

Wasn't there some weird thing where he was freaking out when the werewolves did last season while the alpha was prowling around?

Submarine

Submarine

Video Archivist

Posted Jun 4, 2012 @ 7:55 PM

The season premiere was so-so...

Derek's relationship with Scott was left up in the air in the finale and I was disappointed to see that their relationship had normalized already without any on screen resolution such as touching on Derek stealing the werewolf cure from Scott. It would have been interesting to see Derek the enemy or at least to have Scott angry with him over that.

Also, no shouty Derek this episode. That was a completely shout free scene between him and Jackson when old Derek would be screaming and up in arms over Jackson refusing to bow to his authority. I hope the writers didn't tone him down due to input because I find him one of the most interesting characters.

I'm not a huge fan of the Argent plot. We already had Kate and bringing in even more crazy Argent family members is just redundant. I'm also more dreading than excited over what will become the fate of Jackson and Lydia. I think bringing in too many supernatural beings will dampen the story.

I'm confident the show will pick up eventually like it did last season toward the middle half. For now, I'm not impressed.

chandapanda

chandapanda

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 4, 2012 @ 10:06 PM

I just started watching TW last month (saw it was on Netflix and decided to give it a whirl). Hated the pilot episode, especially what had been done to movie-verse Stiles, but I always give series 3 episodes before I keep or trash. Thank goodness for that rule - while I agree with most of you that this show isn't Shakespeare, it's greatly entertaining fluff (and as I watch it while running on the treadmill, it gives me great motivation to get in shape when I keep seeing all these buff young things running around).

My favorite character is Stiles now, thanks to Dylan O'Brien being a great and believable nerdy teenager (but still pretty darn cute). The prettiest character is Derek (I think he has a great smile AND killer abs, which makes my not-teenage-heart go pitter-patter). But I think the best looking award goes to Alison's dad...would it kill the show to show him in some tighter clothes and/or shirtlessness? Cuz that man is seriously gorgeous.

I realize I am not the demo that MTV wants for the show, but darn if I'm not hooked. I, too, appreciate that many of the Twilight (aka stupid) issues are not an issue here, and I second one poster's note that there should be more Scooby gang moments - I am SUCH a sucker for a misfit band of random stereotypes coming together for the big finish at the end (although I would've included Alison's dad in the gang based on his actions in the last 2 episodes of season 1 - going against the aunt and defending the new wolf, etc).

Stiles and Lydia would cover the smart/research requirements (Willow and Xander), Scott and Derek the physical work (Buffy), Mr. Argent covers the male authority figure (Giles!), Alison---not sure what purpose she serves yet (maybe more of a Harmony role, or Spike), and Jackson as Cordelia - narcissistic yet strangely honorable and helpful.

I apologize if this is a little too boards-on-boards, but I appreciated reading all of the commentary (all 31 pages) and knowing that there are others out there like me - older than the characters but still finding the show charming and a little skeevy since they're supposed to be 16-18 years old.

benteen

benteen

Stalker

Posted Jun 4, 2012 @ 10:15 PM

I'm glad the show is back on.

I enjoyed the two episodes although I found the editing to be incoherent, there are way too many commercial breaks, and Scott's non-stop obsession with Allison is getting really annoying. All right, we get it...he LOOOOOVES Allison! Maybe he'll do something else on this show one of these days. Allison blubbering about him to her father wasn't exactly a great opening scene for her either. Wasn't torturing the principal overkill?

Definitely like the addition of Michael Hogan in the cast. The guy is just awesome. Derek is continuing his sexual harrassment of Jackson, who continues to have an intriguing storyline. Nice to see The Flash pop up as Isaacs father. Stiles is always a blast and I'm glad they're continuing his interactioni with Derek.

T o b y

T o b y

Video Archivist

Posted Jun 4, 2012 @ 10:25 PM

So...a lizard thing?

The one thing I really do like about this show is that it's entertaining enough to keep me wondering what's happening or what is going to happen next. I'm assuming that reptilian creature can't be Lydia, right?

I also like how none of the wolves want to be a part of Derek's pack, even though he is the new "alpha." Though I suppose he does have one now in Isaac.

portfino

portfino

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 4, 2012 @ 10:35 PM

Lydia's IMO is the red herring for what I assume to be a shape shifter. I liked the scene of Derek flirting with the police officer and Stiles is always great. Still intrigued by Jackson's black blood (wolfbane?). I'm glad that he's not a completely supernatural creature but I hope there's a worthy explanation. And I'm not sure that I like that they seem to be making him go full-on crazy.

Bruinsfan

Bruinsfan

Stalker

Posted Jun 4, 2012 @ 10:40 PM

When Styles was asking Derek how he intended to distract the deputy, my immediate thought was "Does she have eyes? Problem solved."

BooBear

BooBear

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 5, 2012 @ 6:26 AM

Derek's relationship with Scott was left up in the air in the finale and I was disappointed to see that their relationship had normalized already without any on screen resolution such as touching on Derek stealing the werewolf cure from Scott. It would have been interesting to see Derek the enemy or at least to have Scott angry with him over that.

I was disappointed to see this. That should have been the first conversation that Scott had with Derek when they could. Instead they are back to exactly the same relationship they had pre finale. They are going to have to explain that. I mean Derek not only stole the cure, but he spent like 3 episodes last year doing whatever his uncle wanted. I enjoyed Derek with Stiles I even though he was trying to say to Styles "have you seen me... I will distract her" but Stiles wasn't getting it. I liked that they used Derek for non man distraction this time. Laughed at Derek going "I'm the Alpha" to Styles... that line gets used a lot but the delivery makes it scary or funny.

I thought Scott had grown up but I see now when Derek is in the room he acts like a petulant teenager. I like the idea that he wants to help Issac out. I like Issac but doesn't he look just like the actor from Awkward who plays Matty?

I am sorry but the sniffing scene was hysterical. Lacross and the coach are always good for a laugh.

I liked Allison "owning" her arrow skills and taking out the hunter. Although, isn't it going to be obvious with the arrows who stopped him? Won't grandpa be mad?

I am a little concerned that we are heading into the same territory as last year with Jackson. Wondering all year long what is going on with him. At this point I am going with he didn't turn. And maybe, either he has a natural immunity (which could be a cure for scott) or the wolfsbane stopped the bite from working.

They might be going too far with Allison's scary family. Torturing the school principle? Ok lets try to keep the show grounded.

SrPab

SrPab

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 5, 2012 @ 7:02 AM

Despite everything I saw and heard on these two new eps, what will stick with me (perhaps for the entire second season) was the electrocuted/tazed principal--with what sounded suspiciously like a British/English accent. This character was not even on screen for more than 60 seconds, and we may never see or hear from him again on the show, but having the principal of an American high school be/sound British was just randomly(?)... neat.

I'll concede that in the real world there could be or has been at least one American high school principal who spoke with a British accent, but still... this show! Shakes head at all the man candy, semi- or full nudity, and the British principal.

On another note, how come Scott did not become aware of Isaac's werewolfishness until later? Could Scott not tell until Isaac had finished turning? And I'm definitely not sure but did Derek, or The Lizard, kill Isaac's father?

Edited by SrPab, Jun 5, 2012 @ 7:03 AM.

benteen

benteen

Stalker

Posted Jun 5, 2012 @ 7:34 AM

Scott should be furious with Derek over losing the cure.

At the same time, being a werewolf might be safe. What I mean is, it's pretty clear you're living in a town of werewolves and other things. At least being a werewolf means you have the means to fight back.

SillyMamma

SillyMamma

Fanatic

Posted Jun 5, 2012 @ 8:45 AM

Thumbs up to the second episode as well. Delighted that Jackson spent such an unremarkable night (and yes, he can sell the tapes *as* *is*).

Also love that Scott is less whiny but not a smidge less stupid, as indeed is Derek. These two will never win awards for mental prowess. I want to know what's happening with Lydia. I too doubt she lizarded out, and hope that her emerging lupitude doesn't wear away even a bit at her snark -- although a plot of "I am becoming a moron werewolf" would amuse me a lot.

Even Allison failed to annoy me as much as she did last year.

I thought the whole "Grampa Saul is the New Principal" was a bit dumb, but *shrug* no one watches Teen Wolf for realistic situations.

Bring on the beefcake.

speedroc

speedroc

Fanatic

Posted Jun 5, 2012 @ 9:23 AM

and Scott's non-stop obsession with Allison is getting really annoying.

+1

As much as I like the show, I really wish they would tune this down a bit. It makes me want to punch him through the screen.

Bruinsfan

Bruinsfan

Stalker

Posted Jun 5, 2012 @ 9:57 AM

In a way I'm kind of glad, as making the lead character that stupid and annoying allows me to align my loyalties with his much more interesting jackass teammate and stalkery mentor-enemy.

Submarine

Submarine

Video Archivist

Posted Jun 5, 2012 @ 9:57 AM

The problem with the entire Scott Allison relationship is that the writers think they are giving the teen audience what they want when they can't write romance at all! With Scott and Allison, there are no romantic gestures. There are no inside jokes or special little "Scott-Allison" moments. (For example, if Scott were to reflect and say, "Remember when me and Allison...", he would have nothing.) Right now, it's the most generic relationship possible and "I want to be with you" 24/7.

The way they go about making Scott so Allison-centric is also troublesome. Like more than half of all Scott time involves something Allison. This is overkill. In a series where the characters are crying for more depth and the lead actor is one of the least popular, you'd think the writers would invest more time fleshing Scott out.

More time also needs to be spent on Allison as well; because, right now, she is just Scott's stage prop. No one talks about Allison at all. No one says whether they love/hate her. We've had an entire season with her and we know nothing about her personality. There should NEVER be a character on television like that. Even if they are a minor character, like Danny, they need to leave some impression or the character lacks value and wastes screen time.

The characters that are most popular on the show are those that don't have all their screen time sucked in a relationship sink hole. I think the writers are great at writing compelling characters. They just need to fix Scott and Allison. (I'd go so far as to suggesting removing Allison after the Argent arc is done. Scott needs to date someone more interesting.)

Edited by Submarine, Jun 5, 2012 @ 10:14 AM.

liliaeth

liliaeth

Channel Surfer

Posted Jun 5, 2012 @ 10:34 AM

I'm really loving this season. Loving Scott and Allison. Can't stand Jackson, the sooner they get rid of him the better, he gets more and more annoying with every single episode.

BooBear

BooBear

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 5, 2012 @ 11:40 AM

I think I am calling it now that grandpa is the lizard thing. Or at the very least those pills have meaning. The lizard thing didn't come to beacon hills until he did and I am not sure they would waste a young pretty actor /actress on the disposable big bad. Its early but. . .

tze

tze

Fanatic

Posted Jun 5, 2012 @ 12:17 PM

If Lydia isn't the lizard creature, they're going to have to come up with some explanation for what happened to her during the full moon. It was bizarre how she was basically ignored. Scott, Derek, and Allison were so concerned about Isaac's predicament that none of them stopped to wonder if maybe, just maybe, they should go check up on recently-bitten Lydia. Not to mention, during her two-day romp through the woods, what was she doing at the cemetery? At the Hale house?

At first I was kind of thrown by how . . . less forceful? Derek was around Scott. Last season was all about Derek and Scott butting heads, with Derek basically constantly trying to pull rank on Scott. You'd think that now that Derek literally outranks Scott, he'd be less forgiving of Scott refusing his authority, not more forgiving. Although I guess it makes sense for Derek to be less bullying, not more---the "hard sell" didn't get Scott to join Peter's pack, so why would those tactics be any more useful in getting Scott to join Derek's pack?

I heart Allison's terrifying parents. I love that her father doesn't want to kill all werewolves, and I love that her mother scares me more than anything ever.

Jackson knew his neighbor, someone he went to school with, was being horribly abused, and did nothing. Not only that, but laughed it off. There's being an asshole, and then there's that.

I love the steady progression of Stiles's new feud with that particular teacher.

T o b y

T o b y

Video Archivist

Posted Jun 5, 2012 @ 12:20 PM

Definitely the pills seem indicative of something. Too obviously focused on, unless the show is somehow smarter than I am giving it credit for. Perhaps a suppressant of some kind? A lycanthropy suppressant?

I love BSG, so I'm willing to be patient with MH's character, but so far he's just another fucked up member of the Argent family.

I've been thinking too much about this show lately...

Jackson knew his neighbor, someone he went to school with, was being horribly abused, and did nothing. Not only that, but laughed it off. There's being an asshole, and then there's that.

Ugh, I know. I really like Jackson, but I didn't care for that. Seems like whatever development he gained last season has been sidelined by his desire to be a werewolf.

Edited by T o b y, Jun 5, 2012 @ 12:24 PM.

MV007

MV007

Fanatic

Posted Jun 5, 2012 @ 1:33 PM

I actually enjoy the Scott-Allison stuff but I still think it needs to be cut back if only to service other characters. The fact that we saw so little of Lydia is criminal. I can't believe I watched the first two episodes of the season and she was on screen for like 2 minutes. Instead we wasted time watching Jackson do nothing but be an asshole, spent time with some new werewolf that I couldn't give a shit about and watched Scott-Allison make out for half an hour.

Styles and Lyida deserved to have some kind of scene together. I would have been happy to see Lydia snark on him. But we really needed something to show that somewhere she likes the kid or even knows he exists because he just came off like a creepy stalker.

For the love of God please give me more Lydia.

Edited by MV007, Jun 5, 2012 @ 1:34 PM.

portfino

portfino

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 5, 2012 @ 3:10 PM

Can't stand Jackson, the sooner they get rid of him the better, he gets more and more annoying with every single episode

I like Jackson as a character but I agree that unless they payoff is great, this storyline is troubled. An unlikable character not getting what he wants is just annoying. I think they're going for "love to hate" with Jackson but moping or acting jealous for a character like that is deadly. Woobifying Jackson would be bad (and I'm glad they're not), but turning him into a loser is even worse.

Edited by portfino, Jun 5, 2012 @ 3:13 PM.

Submarine

Submarine

Video Archivist

Posted Jun 5, 2012 @ 6:06 PM

It feels like this season, the writers decided to turn Derek's irritability way down and turn Jackson's douchiness way up. I think they need to recalibrate. Derek is too nice thus far and it makes no sense given the situations and circumstances. Jackson being this conceited makes him too unlikable.

(I'd like to add I don't like these major adjustments to characters. It's far too noticeable and confuses the audience.)

Edited by Submarine, Jun 5, 2012 @ 6:09 PM.

MV007

MV007

Fanatic

Posted Jun 5, 2012 @ 6:46 PM

I'm not sure Jackson has changed all that much. The guy was an ass last season and barely showed any real qualities that are admirable. In fact the only time I didn't think he was an ass was when he was shitting his pants in fear of Derek.

BooBear

BooBear

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 5, 2012 @ 7:52 PM

the writers decided to turn Derek's irritability way down and turn Jackson's douchiness way up. I think they need to recalibrate. Derek is too nice thus far and it makes no sense given the situations and circumstances

Well I hope eventually it is shown that Derek isn't such a bad guy, I mean could he really allow Scott to become the Alpha if Scott wasn't cured by killing his uncle? That would have been a disaster. But I suppose that Derek has to be nice because he needs a pack especially with the hunters showing up. Also, now that he is the Alpha other werewolfs will be gunning for him. He needs someone to watch his back. Another reason I thought he put up with Jackson and seemed stunned and concerned when Jackson seemed to be rejecting the bite - because he needs a pack, now. Maybe that is why he went for Issac.

I really like Jackson as the super jerk. He thought he was going to have special powers and it didn't really work out for him. HA! All the more sweet the more of a jerk he is.

Here is my question, why is Derek still in town? I mean he has no family, girlfriend, home... head for another state and start a pack without the hunters living in the same town. I would ideally like it if he felt he couldn't leave Scott alone without more training and with the hunters there.

SillyMamma

SillyMamma

Fanatic

Posted Jun 5, 2012 @ 8:28 PM

I really like Jackson as the super jerk. He thought he was going to have special powers and it didn't really work out for him. HA! All the more sweet the more of a jerk he is.

Agreed. The actor has amazing comic timing that works so well as the eternally frustrated bad guy.

Bruinsfan

Bruinsfan

Stalker

Posted Jun 5, 2012 @ 9:59 PM

Here is my question, why is Derek still in town? I mean he has no family, girlfriend, home... head for another state and start a pack without the hunters living in the same town.

I vote "waiting for Jackson to turn so they can run away together."

More seriously, it is where he grew up, right? Maybe he's feeling territorial and rather than allowing a bunch of outsiders to chase him away from the home where they murdered most of his family, he wants to stand, fight, and get revenge.

Turkish

Turkish

Stalker

Posted Jun 5, 2012 @ 11:33 PM

Loved Allison taking out that dude with her arrows. We need more of that Allison. I really want to like her as a character but I can't do that when the writers basically write her like she's Lana Lang 2.0, whose only real purpose is to be Scott's love interest. Let her be pro-active in the war against the weres and Argents. She's got actual useful skills and could also be used as a double agent within her family if Scott and the weres play their cards right.

I'm quickly becoming annoyed with Jackson's antics and I'm starting to wish his screentime would go to Danny or anyone else at this point.