19-2: "Hearts are Wild" 2011.05.30

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

195 replies to this topic

KerleyQ

KerleyQ

Stalker

Posted May 30, 2011 @ 11:20 PM

Just seems like Michelle was a producer plant to stir up stuff last season and now we're stuck with Bentley? Yeesh.

At this rate, I'll never take a contestant from Salt Lake City seriously again on this show. It's like Fleiss has opened up a new famewhore factory there (a satellite branch of the Texas famewhore factories).

LaVieDouce

LaVieDouce

Couch Potato

Posted May 30, 2011 @ 11:22 PM

I'm watching it now and LMAO @ the people watching her date and clapping when they kissed. Creepers.

And UNF to JP and Ben C!

MasalaCurry

MasalaCurry

Couch Potato

Posted May 30, 2011 @ 11:24 PM

I believe alot of the guys came on the show expecting Emily or Chantal. But most of them are not saying it like Bentley. Until next week, that is.

I don't understand - don't the guys know who they are coming for? How is that possible? They should at least know who the Bachelorette is before they sign up for it. No wonder nobody is serious.

Lisette

Lisette

Fanatic

Posted May 31, 2011 @ 12:07 AM

Has Bentley watched the show before? He's not breaking new ground. Wes lasted much longer and kept everyone guessing whether he was telling the truth, or just was there to pimp his music.

Bentley hasn't even pimped a product. (Unless he plans to be a liquor salesman in the future. He seems drunk most of the time).

At least he apparently leaves next week. Too bad he'll do media and Ashley will have to keep responding to this all season.

Oh, and TB? I really -do- think the least you could do is be sure the bachelors know who the bachelorette is and express some interest. If I were TB, I'd make that a condition of my participation. (This show's embarrassing and awkward and unflattering enough without adding -that- bit of producer manipulation).

Etta Place

Etta Place

Couch Potato

Posted May 31, 2011 @ 12:42 AM

Bentley also reminded me of Dexter. It's a little bit his face, a little bit his hair, and a whole lot that he's a sociopath.

I wondered, too, if there is some kind of rule in place that if a contestant comes up to the bachelor/ette and asks for their attention, the b/ette has to drop everything and go with them. It seems to happen frequently and I don't recall ever seeing someone say "yeah, but hang on a minute till I finish this." I'm not a fan of Mask, but I did think that Matt deserved to go home for the way he interrupted that moment, so I wasn't sad about his departure. And even less sad when he called his mom, talked about himself in the third person, and said he needed her to pick him up at the airport. Doesn't he have anyone else to do that?

Cherry Wire

Cherry Wire

Fanatic

Posted May 31, 2011 @ 12:44 AM

It would be great if we saw the following confessional next week.

Mask Guy: "And I continue to wear this mask because I am a complex person with many layers, and I'm experiencing this game on a higher level with those layers concealed..."

[interrupted as the other guys all break into the room, hold him down, and remove the mask]

plotpointer2

plotpointer2

Channel Surfer

Posted May 31, 2011 @ 1:41 AM

This season is just so over-the-top, so contrived, so scripted and chock full of plants. But I must admit, I'm secretly loving it. This is going to be a good season.

Could the scene with Ashley and the Mask in the stairwell be any more fake? In real life, anyone in Ashley's position would have told the dude who interrupted Mask Guy to wait a few more minutes. Why would Ashley allow anyone -- especially a guy she was going to send home anyway -- prevent her from seeing what's under the mask? Can we say -- STAGED!

Ames and Mickey ping loud and clear.

I've never gotten that impression about Mickey. I think what you're seeing is a lack of interest in Ashley.

I do agree about Ames. I wonder why she kept him?

GlamSnooky

GlamSnooky

Couch Potato

Posted May 31, 2011 @ 2:54 AM

I wondered, too, if there is some kind of rule in place that if a contestant comes up to the bachelor/ette and asks for their attention, the b/ette has to drop everything and go with them. It seems to happen frequently and I don't recall ever seeing someone say "yeah, but hang on a minute till I finish this."

I, too, was frustrated that Ashley allowed that guy to interrupt the Mask Reveal. But as I never remember ever seeing a Bachelor or Bachelorette ever tell someone to wait five minutes, I can't help but think they're instructed not to, for the dramaz. Because who in real reality wouldn't tell someone to give them a sec and they'd be right with them?

Fun episode for me, since I'll be staying at the Bellagio later this summer. But while I love the fountain, I wouldn't want all those strangers watching my date.

I like that Ashley seems to be asking real questions of these guys. Now if, say, Brad had asked Emily if she'd be willing to move to Austin, and learned the answer was No Way in Hell, we could have avoided that disaster...

kanona29

kanona29

Video Archivist

Posted May 31, 2011 @ 2:54 AM

I don't believe for one second that JP is straight.

I'm not sure what to make of Mickey. In some angles he is a cutie with the dark hair, blue eyes, and serious dimples. Then with other angles, he is just so dorky! He can stick around though because he at least appeared normal and mentally stable on his date with Ashley.

William is a dud, Jeff with the mask is just plain creepy, and Bently is just there to play a role.

Lisette

Lisette

Fanatic

Posted May 31, 2011 @ 3:26 AM

Jeff isn't wearing a nice soft sleep mask. That mask he's got looks quite uncomfortable and like the edges would make it impossible to sleep in.

I don't believe he wears it all the time off camera.

Palomar

Palomar

Fanatic

Posted May 31, 2011 @ 4:58 AM

Bentley also reminded me of Dexter. It's a little bit his face, a little bit his hair, and a whole lot that he's a sociopath.

Me too!! Been meaning to come here to say that. Only thing is, Dexter has much more charm and class. Is Ashley really that dense when she actually already knows this guy's agenda and she is still falling for it?

Mask guy is just gross with the combination cheesy black mask, hat, facial stubble and his desperate attempt to be intriguing. I can't imagine Ashley willingly would let ANY of the guys go before this one.

Ashley, you mentioned not liking being judged. Maybe getting rid of these two losers would help your credibility.

Writer13

Writer13

Fanatic

Posted May 31, 2011 @ 5:05 AM

Ugh, I'm sucked into watching this shit again!

Mickey was hot with glasses. But WTF was that reaction to Colbie Calliat?

William was adorable during the date...and then not-so-adorable later on.

I only caught a few minutes of the first episode, so I thought Mask Guy and Bentley were kinda hilarious. But then it just started to get really annoying. Please let this end!

There are quite a few celebrity look-a-likes. I recall Nick Lachey, Beefy Joseph Gordon-Levitt, and Dax Shepard.

erinjsnark

erinjsnark

Fanatic

Posted May 31, 2011 @ 5:22 AM

My hubby also made the Bentley/Dexter reference to me. I didn't see it, I agree with the smooshy-Ashton-Kutcher idea. Hubby also about died with laughter with every one of Bentley's comments. Truly, I'm married to a sweet romantic who thinks this show is ridiculous, and he thinks Bentley exposes it as a sham. I can't go so far as to laugh at Bentley's antics, but rather I'm angry with the producers. Last week I was very "meh" about Ashley, but after the crap they're putting her through I'm loving her mOre and more.

Edited by erinjsnark, May 31, 2011 @ 5:23 AM.

JudyObscure

JudyObscure

Fanatic

Posted May 31, 2011 @ 6:30 AM

I agree with the smooshy-Ashton-Kutcher idea.

Me too, and since I think Ashton is the second most obnoxious guy in the world, after Charlie Sheen, it all fits together somehow. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if next week, Kutcher burst into Ashley's big crying-in-bed scene to yell, "Punked!"

Who does "The Bachelor," think its audience is? All snark aside we probably wouldn't be watching if we didn't have a tiny bit of faith in romance. So why feature a foul mouthed jerk like Bentley and why plan a "date" that is nothing more than an unfunny, tasteless parody of a wedding? A few of us actually see the wedding ceremony as a holy sacrament, you jerks.

Nothing Jeff has under his mask could be as off-putting as his mangy looking stubble. It reminds me of the bluish mold you get on forgotten leftovers.

I was worried that my pick, Ryan P. was ignored after his first impression rose but then I remember how little time Emily was getting in the earliest episodes last season.

I kind of wish Ashley liked the dentist better, because he really seems to like her, he's watching her constantly, while the other guys party.

I'm liking Ashley better than Ali as B-ette but I didn't like her whining about being "judged." Come on girl, it's part of the price you pay for getting to star in your own TV show and if it was really that bad, why are you back for more? Also I noticed she was eating up the flip side of judgment with crowds yelling, "We love you Ashley!"

William: All these people love you.
Ashley: I know!

Amath

Amath

Video Archivist

Posted May 31, 2011 @ 6:40 AM

William: All these people love you.
Ashley: I know!

How about when she met Mickey at the airport and TH'd, "Mickey was gorgeous. He looked almost as good as me!"

TedHinD

TedHinD

Fanatic

Posted May 31, 2011 @ 6:52 AM

Now knowing that Ashley is an adult child of an alcoholic, her reaction to Bentley will have an even more jagged edge. Thanks, ABC! You almost let human feelings best your ratings game. Good catch.

Alexa

Alexa

Fanatic

Posted May 31, 2011 @ 7:15 AM

Chris' blog about Bentley is kind of insightful about behind the scenes discussions...

http://popwatch.ew.c...wchrisharrison/

fonfon

fonfon

Video Archivist

Posted May 31, 2011 @ 7:46 AM

Mickey didn't ping gay for me, more like personality-of-dry-toast. Can't tell if it's nerves, or if he's really really dull.

William and Ashley talking over each other at their dinner on the water was annoying. I actually yelled at the TV for one of them to shut up so they other one could finish.

How gross that Bentley pulled that big scene of picking her up and setting her by the fire and she was all over him and calling him Prince Charming. Yuck.

I liked Blake, the dentist, but in the right lighting, he looked almost exactly like Kirk from Ali's season.

Ketzel

Ketzel

Fanatic

Posted May 31, 2011 @ 7:57 AM

Was William really serious with his "Oh no! I might end up being legally married here!" terror during that stupid Vegas date? Did he never hear of a marriage license? Even in Nevada, you have to sign one of those and pay the fees in order to be legally married.

jumper sage

jumper sage

Fanatic

Posted May 31, 2011 @ 8:06 AM

This was the most boring 2 hours. Even Bentley couldn't liven it up since he is too over the top. I say if she is that stupid she deserves him or someone like him.

marnyh

marnyh

Couch Potato

Posted May 31, 2011 @ 8:13 AM

Was William really serious with his "Oh no! I might end up being legally married here!" terror during that stupid Vegas date? Did he never hear of a marriage license? Even in Nevada, you have to sign one of those and pay the fees in order to be legally married.

This scene was when I officially realized that Ashley has to be the dumbest woman on the planet. During her TH's, she kept saying things like, "I can't say yes-- that would mean we're married!" Um, no.

The Bentley guy looks like Mark Ruffalo to me. And he carries himself like the man-child characters that Ruffalo often plays.

legaleagle44

legaleagle44

Stalker

• Interests:Foreign language and culture study, cooking, dancing, music, reading, and television, of course!

Posted May 31, 2011 @ 8:16 AM

To say nothing of the fact that there were no witnesses present. Had I been William, that alone would have been a clue to me that the whole thing was just set up to see how far he and Ashley would allow it to go. On the other hand, his "deer in the headlights" expression was priceless, wasn't it?

In any event, I think he's an arrogant prick. I couldn't believe his "It sucks to be you all" bit before the rose ceremony when he was bragging about how safe he was because he had already gotten his rose. I kept waiting for one of the other guys who hadn't gotten a rose yet to clobber him -- or at least tell him where he could plant his rose.

As for Bentley? There are no words (well, there are, but I prefer not to use them!) What's killing me is that Chris made it clear in his blog that he repeatedly kept advising Ashley to run as far as she could from Bentley, but she kept ignoring his warnings until she found out the hard way that everyone was right about Bentley. It's going to be both ugly and painful to watch next week, but such is life. As Benjamin Franklin put it, "Experience keeps a dear school, but fools will learn in no other."

And, believe it or not, I'm feeling a bit sorry for Jeff. Yes, the mask thing is rather grating as a schtick (and yes, Jeff -- SHAVE once you've taken that thing off!), but I really hate the way the other guys are mocking him for it. From what I've heard from him so far, there's a very sensitive guy in there, and I really detest bulllies who try to prove how cool they are by picking on someone just because they can (what's the male equivalent of a Mean Girl, because I'm seeing it here in spades!)

sweetea

sweetea

Couch Potato

Posted May 31, 2011 @ 8:24 AM

The Bentley guy looks like Mark Ruffalo to me. And he carries himself like the man-child characters that Ruffalo often plays

Yes! I was trying to figure out who he looked like. You nailed it.

I kind of liked the other Ryan. Too bad she let him go.

CindyBee

CindyBee

Fanatic

Posted May 31, 2011 @ 9:12 AM

I know I shouldn't have any sympathy for Ashely cause she's been warned over and over again about Bentley but next week's previews, combined with Chris' blog, just seems like an awful experience for her. I actually feel just a tad bit sorry for her.

William went from one of my favs to one of my least favs in just one episode. He came off at the rose ceremony party as a immature jerk. Not surprised the guys gave him the name of ding dong. I'm surprised it wasn't something harsher. Maybe off camera it was.

Still loving Ben C and JP. Hope to see more of them.

DS1

DS1

Fanatic

Posted May 31, 2011 @ 9:13 AM

Bentley doesn't seem like he's acting. He really does seem like a sociopath. If you had said there was going to be a person whose wife died under mysterious circumstances, I would have assumed it was going to be him. There's something very cold about the way he delivers his thoughts.

Wes on Jillian's season seemed like he was just playing a part to get some part of his stupid career going, but Bentley actually seems like he means what he says.

On the one hand, what he's saying kind of subverts the process (when he says he's bored by her, I kind of think he's saying what a lot of the other bachelors have thought or are thinking when they've gotten stuck with someone they find bland). On the other hand, what he says sounds too real because of the way he says it.

At least the mask guy seems like he's just playing around, and I think his strategy for getting America to remember him makes more sense. He's sort of making the mockery of the whole thing without deliberately being cruel.

softbatch

softbatch

Couch Potato

Posted May 31, 2011 @ 9:22 AM

Betley's a complete jackass, but I imagine he's saying what some of the guys and viewers are thinking. I think she's a sweetheart, and has a gorgeous body. She is probably the most genuinely sweet of all the bachelorettes, but I find her face fug, and her bangs do nothing to hide her enormous forehead.

For the superficial sort she was probably a (huge) letdown when probably most of them expected either Chantal or Emily. Being nice is not enough anymore for reality tv I guess.

As for Mask Guy, dude has issues. Any guy that has to put a mask over his face to make a point instead of letting his own personality and true character tell the story doesn't deserve a woman's time.

LakeGal

LakeGal

Fanatic

Posted May 31, 2011 @ 9:33 AM

I think Bentley is just saying what alot of others are thinking. In the past on both The Bachelor and The Bachelorette we have heard several people talk after leaving the show. They have said they were never attracted to the person and had hoped it would be someone else. But they got caught up in the competition. I believe most go on the show for the exposure and don't really expect to find "the one". Bentley just doesn't seem to have a filter. He says what he is thinking. To be successful they really should let the people know in advance who the person they are suppose to be pursuing will be. They would have a better chance of making a match. There is no way that all 25 guys were attracted to Ashley when they met her. They should have an out for all the guys the first ep. After meeting TB they should have a chance to stay on the show or leave and take a chance next season. Ashley seems very insecure and she would probably feel better if she truly thought these guys wanted her not just Bachelorette whoever.

The guys looked better this episode. I think getting them out of the suits helped show the guys more natural. I am watching now to see who will be promoted as the next Bachelor. Bentley seems to be auditioning for Bachelor Pad.

MsSweatpants

MsSweatpants

Couch Potato

Posted May 31, 2011 @ 9:42 AM

Backformore--- Totally agree. I think William is adorable (those dimples!) but more in a "cutest-guy-in-the-twelfth-grade" kind of way. I couldn't believe he is actually thirty.

His sad story really seemed to get to Ashley. Usually I'm a cynic, but she seemed legitimately upset. We saw her on a hometown date with Brad last year, and they kind of played up the "big happy family" angle if I recall. Did we know about her dad's alcoholism?

Mr. Sweatpants watches with me, and when Ashley played that whole "coin toss for a rose" bit, he said, "If I were that guy, I'd tell her goodbye on the spot. You're so unsure about me you have to leave it up to chance?" Then when the coin said yes, she pulled that whole, "Oh, well, I was going to give it to you anyway... I was just kidding." Hmm. Why do all the dates have to have a "theme" now? It bugged me, but add me to the list of people who liked Mickey, and thought he was way cute in his glasses.

When she had the "two dentists" conversation with Blake, I thought he answered well. Although, I wanted to reach through the TV and say, "Ahem! He's a dentist; you're in dental school. You keep signing up for reality TV instead of finishing your education!" I read somewhere that she was close enough that her name was printed in the graduation program, but she's not quite done with school. Anyone know how close to completion she actually is?

The timeline on this show has always confused me. With Jake, I remember all the girls saying things like, "I'm not here to make friends, I'm here to marry Jake!" When a contestant tries out, they don't actually KNOW who the bachelor(ette) will be, right? It seems to me that they used to pretend that the guys or girls were auditioning for a specific person's season, and now, not so much. Is that just because it's more dramatic to point out that the guys were hoping for another one of the girls?

DS1

DS1

Fanatic

Posted May 31, 2011 @ 9:44 AM

think Bentley is just saying what alot of others are thinking. In the past on both The Bachelor and The Bachelorette we have heard several people talk after leaving the show. They have said they were never attracted to the person and had hoped it would be someone else. But they got caught up in the competition. I believe most go on the show for the exposure and don't really expect to find "the one". Bentley just doesn't seem to have a filter. He says what he is thinking.

That's why I don't understand why he's bothering to sweep her off feet (literally). He's saying what a lot of guys are thinking, but usually those guys will find a subconscious way to get booted. Instead, this one goes and carries her and kisses her passionately. What? Bentley doesn't seem to be caught up in the competition. He seems to very aware that the whole thing is dumb and he has no interest in her whatsoever.

Usually when other guys get caught up in the competition, they'll fall in love with the idea of love or beating the other men to win. And then afterwards they, go "what the heck was I thinking?" Bentley on the other hand seems to know it's a joke from the start. He's not caught up in anything. So why is he bothering to catch her interest? Why is he initiating a kiss? Why is he trying to physically get close to her? I think he has a personality of a dish rag, has dead eyes, and iss very dull when he speaks, so that would be enough for me to not be interested in him, but I could see how she could get confused if he's carrying her off to the fireplace and initiating the kiss.

Graham wasn't interested in Deanna. He didn't say it overtly but he did make it clear when she'd lean in for a kiss or try to have a conversation with him. And she picked up on the fact that he didn't want her (even though it bugged her.) He may have been ambivalent about the process, but he did find a way subconsciously to make it clear he didn't like her. Isn't that what most of them do when they think the girl is a butterface (well, that wasn't Deanna's problem) or has the personality of a shrew (ok, that was Deanna's problem)?

Edited by DS1, May 31, 2011 @ 9:50 AM.

backformore

backformore

Fanatic

Posted May 31, 2011 @ 9:47 AM

Ok - I think I've nailed it. Take Dexter, add Mark Ruffalo's eyes, and you have Bentley.

Bentley may be an ass, but part of what he is saying I think is true for every season. Guys are all competing for one woman's attention. It is assumed that the guy she chooses will be "in love" with her, because EVERY guy there is in love with her. All she has to do is pick the best one, and they live happily ever after. It's a faulty premise. But the men on the show (just like the women on The Bachelor) get caught up in the competition to be the chosen one. They forget that this might not even be the woman they would choose in a "real" setting. It's not about love, it's about winning. Bentley is saying it out loud. But how many of the guys actually ask themselves if Ashley is really "THE ONE" for them, or if they would be competing just as much for any halfway-decent Bachelorette?

What Bentley is saying is kind of "I don't actually want to MARRY Ashley, but I like winning, so I'll play the game. And maybe get laid."

Edited by backformore, May 31, 2011 @ 9:51 AM.