The Glee Project

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

3730 replies to this topic

natyxg

natyxg

Fanatic

Posted Oct 27, 2011 @ 9:38 PM

Rory's character is quite cute

He's trying to use Brittany's super over the top gullibility to hopefully get into her pants. That's more creepy than cute, IMO.

Edited by natyxg, Oct 27, 2011 @ 9:38 PM.

fruity tooty

fruity tooty

Loyal Viewer

Posted Oct 27, 2011 @ 11:49 PM

So, should we say "Job well done Ryan" or is it too early?

Well, it's probably too soon just yet to say that, but today's videos of Damian have made me a very happy fangirl. For weeks I've been complaining about the stupid green shirts and silly hair and dreading just how silly this character Rory is going to be, but now that I know it's all a scheme by Rory to get with Brittany, I'm not even mad at you Ryan Murphy. And from that press photo, we know at some point Rory does drop the "I need to wear green and look like a leprechaun" shtick and looks more normal later on. Well normal by Glee standards.

Re: Damian's acting, I agree with everyone here who thinks he's still a little wooden but it didn't bother me that much. As we were getting closer to next Tuesday night, I was starting to get more worried about Damian's acting ability because I honestly don't want him to fail and now I'm not scare at all. I felt like today was a big sigh of relief for me. I believe since this was his first time acting and he wasn't embarrassingly bad, he is only going to get better with time. Also, I feel like with more time he could have worked out a better way of reading some of those awkward lines. I mean, a teenage boy announcing that he's a virgin to a complete stranger only minutes after introducing yourself to them? Wtf?

Kind of an aside but does anyone else think when Rory said, "I'm a big, big fan" to Finn he was talking about the fact that Finn kissed his gf for 10 mins in a youtube video? From that clip, I couldn't tell for sure if he was a fan of his kissing skills or his singing. I guess we will find out more on Tuesday.

Last point, I totally get why some of the Glee fandom are thinking that Rory came off as creepy and not adorable or cute. But I think that's what I liked about this character the most! I wasn't expecting anything complex about him, and I think it's interesting that he's not this sweet as pie Irish!boy but instead he has this naughty selfish side to him. He's not evil but he's lonely enough to walk around school looking like an idiot if he thinks it's going to get him laid.

And he's never looked so "coltish" as he does in that outfit.

Omg, truer words have not been said! LOL That photo just about killed me, and I'm sooo ready to hear him sing Being Green while looking like a bit of a Muppet himself in those green shorty shorts. haha Did the school make a special gym uniform for their new Irish foreign exchange student, or what?

shlee

shlee

Video Archivist

Posted Oct 28, 2011 @ 12:00 AM

TV Guide interview.. Spoilerish....

So Rory is in the chorus of WSS not playing Bernardo. I assume the scene he misinterprets is America?

Edited by shlee, Oct 28, 2011 @ 12:19 AM.

TWoP Howard

TWoP Howard

Stalker

• Interests:If you have a question for me, please use the Messenger/PM system to do that rather than leaving a question on this page (unless youíre a Just Tuned In, who wonít be able to use it until youíve made ten posts). Thanks!

Posted Oct 28, 2011 @ 1:56 AM

This thread is for talking about the show The Glee Project. If you want to talk about the contestantsí appearances on Glee, we have a full forum to do that in. Itís off topic in here, and since thatís all anyone is talking about, Iím closing the thread.

If there is another season of this show, it can be reopened at that time.

TWoP Howard

TWoP Howard

Stalker

• Interests:If you have a question for me, please use the Messenger/PM system to do that rather than leaving a question on this page (unless youíre a Just Tuned In, who wonít be able to use it until youíve made ten posts). Thanks!

Posted May 11, 2012 @ 6:13 PM

Since the new season is approaching, and there is information out there to discuss, Iím reopening the thread. A couple of things to keep in mind: if you want to talk about last yearís contestants and their roles on Glee, take it to that forum, please. If you want to talk about last yearís group in here, you have to be discussing something you saw them do on last yearís season of this show.

Also, previews, promos, and cast information arenít spoilers, so donít use spoiler bars, please.

StarryDreamer

StarryDreamer

Fanatic

Posted May 11, 2012 @ 9:07 PM

What are our thoughts on the newest music video preview?

They clearly have pulled in some Glee tropes. Bigger girl? Check. Blind kid? Check. Girl in wheelchair? Check.

I feel like Dani should be the poster child for Lesbians Who Look Like Justin Beiber.

I thought Nellie and Shanna had KILLER voices. I also didn't mind Abraham and Blake.

Crim

Crim

Fanatic

• Interests:TV series (both live action and anime), movies (ditto), gaming, music, clinical psychology, religion.

Posted May 12, 2012 @ 6:45 AM

This seemed a strange choice for an introduction: the voices are barely audible, there is that constant chorus, it sounds auto-tuned. Are there any available individual videos - singing, not the "get to know" ones?

Yeah, almost all of them are Glee tropes if the winners of TGP s1 are included in that. I wonder if the intention is to replace the leaving cast with people that look/are similar - like an attempt to straight out replace. It's the kind of lame crap Glee would pull.

When Charlie got on the screen I thought "They got Cory to sing with them? Weird." - they don't look alike on second look, but it still wasn't the best of first impressions in terms of the originality of the new cast. Ali's voice was really grating. Michael's part was small, but he seemed mediocre. I liked Nellie and she is also the only eyecandy on the show so I've already decided to root for her win (even though I'm not going to watch her on Glee so I shouldn't be invested in this. lol.)

Dani MUST be the poster child for Lesbians Who Look Like Justin Beiber. Oh wow, that must have been intentional. Even expecting it from your comment, I still burst out laughing.

ETA: "Tyler is half black, half white, Jewish and transgender. He uses Lady Gaga as a constant inspiration in his music." <-- I am placing serious bets right now that some judge will tell him that "Glee is you" or whatever the line they said last season was.

"Vocal coach Nikki Anders joins the judging panel in season two each week as a permanent member." - Oh wow. Fail. Though wait, this means she is no longer a vocal coach? I'm cautiously celebrating.

Anyway, Lea is the mentor in the premiere, making it Must See TV.

Edited by Crim, May 12, 2012 @ 6:59 AM.

StarryDreamer

StarryDreamer

Fanatic

Posted May 12, 2012 @ 8:33 AM

"Tyler is half black, half white, Jewish and transgender. He uses Lady Gaga as a constant inspiration in his music." <-- I am placing serious bets right now that some judge will tell him that "Glee is you" or whatever the line they said last season was.

I'd skipped Tyler's blurb because I thought he was by far the worst singer of the bunch. But now I'm wondering if it's because he has a woman's voice and that's why he was so high? In addition to that, he couldn't lip synch for shit. I also think it's ridiculous with his "he learned to read in the crib". Who leaves maps in their kid's crib? Plus aren't kids master memorizers? He's probably got parents that were all "my kid can READ!" and meanwhile he was just remembering a story they'd read to him.

I also thought Maxfield looked super old in comparison to the rest. Clearly, by his bio he's "the Christian one".

I do find it interesting that Blake was discovered "through industry channels" though. I didn't think he was particularly special in the Gaga song.

I haven't seen any of the interviews (I can only watch whatever appears on YouTube). Not sure if there's examples of singing beyond the Gaga intro song.

ETA: Turns out Dani was onAmerica's Got Talent

Edited by StarryDreamer, May 12, 2012 @ 8:44 AM.

WileyCoyote

WileyCoyote

Fanatic

Posted May 12, 2012 @ 12:32 PM

I'm thinking of boycotting this season, if we don't get some indication within the first 3 or 4 episode that they intend (this time) to have ACTING tests as well as singing ones. I know we can't discuss the SPECIFICS of how bad the show alumnus acting has been on Glee, but just in general? I think we can say "it sucks, and the show needs to do better this time with that".

They clearly have pulled in some Glee tropes. Bigger girl? Check. Blind kid? Check. Girl in wheelchair? Check.

I kind of hate myself for laughing at the sight of a REAL wheelchair girl, but in my defense I was more laughing at the writing staff of Glee for having their own nutty storylines tossed back at them by the Glee Project Casting Department.

ETA: Turns out Dani was onAmerica's Got Talent

To be fair to her, I actually saw her on that and she was legitimately good. and VERY much aware of her Bieber resemblance and with a great sense of humor about it (which made me like her a lot, even moreso because while she parodied his song, it didn't come off in any way like she LIKED Bieber or his music--which endeared her to me even more).

I feel like Dani should be the poster child for Lesbians Who Look Like Justin Beiber.

Haha, thanks YT. Look at this:

Dani Shay on how she feels about looking like The Biebs: http://www.youtube.c...h?v=A8mPxnXLVO8

And here's how she actually addressed it on AGT:
http://www.youtube.c...h?v=Y_DrAGD3sMU

Edited by WileyCoyote, May 12, 2012 @ 12:45 PM.

Isuzu

Isuzu

Fanatic

Posted May 13, 2012 @ 8:51 AM

Agreed WileyCoyote. It's even more baffling because the one person who could actually act in the whole bunch, Lindsay, was vilified dumbly by the editing and then was only kept twice in singing parts (which she nailed by the way) while the two who would obviously be crappy actors (because let's face it, they couldn't even act in music videos) turned out to be... crappy actors. What a surprise... (to be fair, I think Emily, Marissa or even Hannah could be good actresses as well, too bad about their damn cursed uterus) (and I should probably count my blessings that Cameron quit and was kept far away from a studio ever since, he was that bad). I've got nothing against the winners, they were both nice kids, but really, acting is not something that can be learned over night, and Glee is not just about singing (and thank goodness for that). So they'd better get real acting challenges. I'm okay about winnowing the pool based on singing the first few weeks though.

Even though Nikki was sometimes bitchy, I'm actually glad she's joining the judging pannel. I didn't understand why she wasn't there in the first place, and a woman cannot hurt the sausage fest that it was before (also, it's not as if she's gonna lust more on the hot guys than Murphy).

I'm seriously doubting if I'm gonna watch this or not. I liked some parts of last season, but Murphy was such a douche and the whole thing was so biased and unfair, on top of not making any sense as far as a casting show, that I'm reluctant. I'll probably check out the first episode to see where it goes.

Edited by Isuzu, May 13, 2012 @ 10:44 AM.

StarryDreamer

StarryDreamer

Fanatic

Posted May 13, 2012 @ 9:52 AM

I'm seriously doubting if I'm gonna watch this or not. I liked some parts of last season, but Murphy was such a douche and the whole thing was so biased and unfair, on top of not making any sense as far as a casting show, that I'm reluctant. I'll probably check out the first episode to see where it goes.

When I saw in the promo BTS stuff on YouTube that they're still doing the "bottom three perform" idea, I literally threw up my hands. The Gleeful Podcast did a good job analysing what was wrong with this concept. Basically by having someone like Damian (who was in the bottom 3 for weeks on end) get more face time with RM, RM can then develop a storyline and grow to love the potential in the character that he's imagined. Damian didn't deserve to last as long as he did-- but he had that sweet Irish charm that I'm sure wooed Murphy. And Cameron's quitting certainly helped a lot. By only having the bottom 3 perform, Murphy only sees the worst of the bunch. He begins to love the worst, not the best (ie. someone like Lindsay). Furthermore they're only having them perform songs for Murphy. Their ability to act in the videos or how they'd done in the video portion was never really a factor. Time and time again I thought Alex was so flat, I thought he should've gone ages before others. But he'd put on a wig and heels and Murphy was sold on a potential storyline, not actual ability.

I also hate the fact that he gets these wannabes to come up with their own storyline. *YOU* are the writer, Mr. Murphy. *YOU* figure out a plot for them. Obviously Murphy's a hack writer, since this season they all come with some sort of story he could steal and write about (druggie mother, transvestite, blind kid, kid in wheelchair, Muslim, dead parent(s)).

Latuki Joe

Latuki Joe

Couch Potato

• Interests:01 Glee<br />02 Lost<br /><br /><br />(Ended Series: Alias, Roswell, Kyle XY, Veronica Mars, Twin Peaks, Prison Break, Harper's Island)<br /><br />(Reality Shows: Amazing Race, The Mole, Survivor, Big Brother, Top Chef, Real World, RWRR Challenge, Project Runway)<br /><br />(Animation: The Simpsons, Family Guy, South Park, Teen Titans, Batman)

Posted May 30, 2012 @ 7:56 AM

So spoilers for Season 2 of Glee Project:

SPOILER #1
Spoiler

SPOILER #2
Spoiler

SPOILER #3
Spoiler

So combining these 3 ideas together, here's my personal prediction- this is NOT spoiler, just prediction that
Spoiler

Feckless

Feckless

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 1, 2012 @ 4:15 PM

The requirement to come up with your own storyline is certainly frustrating. Isn't it possible that the best actor and singer in the group is a heterosexual cissexual able-bodied person with no particular religious convictions or major life challenges? Come to think of it, this provides a huge incentive to lie about your background to make yourself more interesting.

queasy

queasy

Stalker

Posted Jun 2, 2012 @ 9:19 PM

I liked several of the finalists this year, from what little we saw in the casting special, so am looking forward to watching how everything plays out. Was a little surprised that the girl with the horrible burns wasn't put through because we "haven't seen that before." I didn't think the backstories overrode talent ... so far.

Edited by queasy, Jun 3, 2012 @ 4:21 PM.

Kali12

Kali12

Fanatic

Posted Jun 3, 2012 @ 12:33 PM

Even though Nikki was sometimes bitchy, I'm actually glad she's joining the judging pannel. I didn't understand why she wasn't there in the first place, and a woman cannot hurt the sausage fest that it was before (also, it's not as if she's gonna lust more on the hot guys than Murphy).

Having just watched some of last season, that is great news. Week after week of watching Ryan et al have that extra bit of excitement over the guys (and that extra bit of boredom over the girls) was so annoying. I hope Nikki isn't one of those women who will do that, too, though. There are plenty of those in casting, too.

Cameron obviously got their hearts a-flutter, but his singing wasn't that good and his acting was none existent. I'm sure they could have written him like they have Samuel, where he just has to say lines without too much acting skill demanded, but I just didn't think he was "the best" (or anywhere close to it) and was so glad that he left. Damian was awful on "Danny Boy", but no one seemed to care since he went on to get a part on the show anyway.

I think Ryan doesn't realize how "I'm trying to think of a way to write for you" makes the winners limited by Ryan's imagination(and also, imo, possibly by his sexual orientation-biases) more than by their talent.

mustbekarma

mustbekarma

Fanatic

Posted Jun 3, 2012 @ 2:26 PM

I'm not watching this edition because I think it will only upset me. I still think Hannah got robbed. Of all the kids, she seemed to be a different character each music video. I think she could out act all the lucky ones that got on the show. I refuse to get sucked in this time.

Feckless

Feckless

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 3, 2012 @ 3:29 PM

If they wanted to pick a winner with acting talent, what would be the best way to do it? Acting out scripted scenes, improv, or what?

Montavilla

Montavilla

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 3, 2012 @ 6:04 PM

Good question. Improv would probably be the easiest to set up, because it wouldn't require scenes to be written. Also, it's fun to watch. I'll bet there are acting coaches and teachers involved with Glee who could be tapped.

jmarrise

jmarrise

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 3, 2012 @ 9:00 PM

I just watched the casting special, and I have to say for once, I'm glad that Ryan Murphy hates women. All my faves so far are men (I'm so rooting for Mario!)and the guys as a group are WAY better looking and more interesting than the women.

Kali12

Kali12

Fanatic

Posted Jun 3, 2012 @ 9:14 PM

I still think Hannah got robbed. Of all the kids, she seemed to be a different character each music video. I think she could out act all the lucky ones that got on the show. I refuse to get sucked in this time.

Hannah was great both in her acting and her singing. Too bad that when Ryan asked himself, "What would I write for her?" his answer was probably, "We already have a fat girl."

When I saw the finale and realized that of the F4 he chose the 2 weakest singers (who were also the two weakest actors) that reminded me not to expect anything different from Season 2. And I'm still trying hard to understand how Rory--who was "adorable" and "made you root for him"--was any kind of underdog. He was a cute kid, but nothing exciting to write for. Samuel had a different look, at least, but wasn't much of a singer (IMO) and really had only one expression--motionless face--when "acting". (And did he ever understand the songs he sang? He chose Jolene after making a point the previous week that he "isn't gay". But it's all about a woman who is "taking my man". Maybe he did that for Ryan? No idea, but with every song to choose from that really made me wonder if he even understood the song.)

Lindsay and Alex, imo, could sing and act circles around Rory and Samuel. But Ryan picked the two who had the most "cuteness" or sex appeal.

It's a nice showcase for some talented kids, but as far as casting for "Glee", I expect more of the same this time.

crashdown

crashdown

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 4, 2012 @ 7:36 AM

I understand everyone's criticisms, but I think the season is shaping up to to be a pretty good one. And frankly, right now I'm a whole lot more interested in The Glee Project than I am in Glee itself!

jmarrise

jmarrise

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 4, 2012 @ 9:04 AM

I'm a whole lot more interested in The Glee Project than I am in Glee itself!

I'd have to wholeheartedly agree! Mr. Jmarrise has all but stopped watching Glee, but he's super excited about the Glee project. Ryan Murphy's casting of a person, rather than a person to play a character is a little annoying, but overall, I think we both enjoy this show much more than Glee right now!

mocoo

mocoo

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 4, 2012 @ 10:05 AM

I agree this show definiely gives zero weight to acting ability. If they ever hope to pick another Colfer they better step up the acting challenges and no a music video doesn't count.

LTG

LTG

Stalker

Posted Jun 4, 2012 @ 10:08 AM

I'm constantly annoyed by the notion that the competitors have to inspire Ryan to write a character that is based on who they actually are. It basically represents an abdication of the writer's responsibility, and it suggests that the existing characters are all based on who the actors are. Which is not a very complimentary thing to say about a lot of these characters. At the same time, I get that they're jumping on the show's experience with Chris Colfer, who was such a strong personality and performer that they created a character that was, in many ways, based on who Chris is. And I get that they want the fans to root for and be invested in the competitors/characters, which means they want a lot of focus on their own personalities. But I still think this is the show's biggest flaw.

That said, I'm relatively excited about the group they've selected. They seem, at first glance, to be overall more musically talented and suited to the show. There was no moment during their "Edge of Glory" video that was cringe-worthy, and most of it was downright fun.

Now all they need to do is find a way to evaluate the competitors' acting ability. Because it doesn't matter how interesting or likeable the actor is if he/she can't convey emotions like sadness or anger when the script calls for it.

Jodster

Jodster

Fanatic

Posted Jun 4, 2012 @ 11:22 AM

Now all they need to do is find a way to evaluate the competitors' acting ability. Because it doesn't matter how interesting or likeable the actor is if he/she can't convey emotions like sadness or anger when the script calls for it.

Ditto, and allow me to add, "and make use of varying facial expressions."

So, is it still going to be the same format, with the bottom 3 performing for Ryan? Can't remember if I commented on that last year, but add me to the list of those who think that turned out to be patently unfair because Ryan develops more of a relationship with them than with the most talented. I wish they would also include an acting performance of some sort in the bottom 3 performances, if they insist on keeping that stupid format. Since Glee autotunes out the ying-yang, you'd think acting ability would top singing ability, as acting ability is hard to fake, while voices can now be autotuned. (This is not to say I approve of all the auto-tuning, by the way!)

Edited by Jodster, Jun 4, 2012 @ 11:24 AM.

mocoo

mocoo

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 4, 2012 @ 12:09 PM

The first thing they need to do to take acting ability into account is to put one of the regular Glee directors
(Barclay,Stolz,Falchuck) on as one of the permanent judges but that won't happen. I think Murphy is so far way removed from the day to day acting side of things that they need someone who works daily with actors and a script.

Feckless

Feckless

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 4, 2012 @ 5:38 PM

And I get that they want the fans to root for and be invested in the competitors/characters, which means they want a lot of focus on their own personalities.

That's a really good point. You want the audience to be interested in the actual person, so you choose interesting people. But that doesn't necessarily have anything to do with how well they perform at whatever the competition is. This is a problem for a lot of reality shows where personality and an interesting backstory doesn't go along with whatever skill is being tested. But people don't seem to mind boring people winning say, Top Chef, if they really are the best chefs. The problem for the Glee Project is that there is some kind of vague relationship between "being interesting" and "being a good cast member of Glee", however dubious. So it's irresistable for a reality show to go for it.
Here's an idea for the acting challenge - a body swap, just like the Glee episode. Make the contestants play each other, so they have to abandon their own persona and backstory and use someone else's.

WileyCoyote

WileyCoyote

Fanatic

Posted Jun 4, 2012 @ 6:09 PM

Ugh. I HATED that casting special.

I understand the show's angle that its inspiring the odd-balls and the different. But it kind of makes the casting special seem like "drag in your wheelchair, your cane, your gender issue, or your dead-relative sob-story, and we'll talk". I don't mind any of it overall, but I just fear its going to get repetitive, and I also fear the show (as well as the show they are casting for), will hammer these stories home instead of just letting them be natural and organic.

Also, once more, it seems like the acting part is gonna be ignored. Did they test that at ALL? They'd better on the actual show [knowing full well they won't].

And did that casting special, other than 1 token shot at the beginning and her casting card at the end, totally ignore Dani Shay? I bet I know why--I think she was a special direct pick by Murphy and thus didn't have to go through the cattle call.

leemil

leemil

Channel Surfer

Posted Jun 5, 2012 @ 4:28 AM

And I get that they want the fans to root for and be invested in the competitors/characters, which means they want a lot of focus on their own personalities.

They dont really expect these kids to be great actors hence the writing based on
their normal personalities. No point writing a character the kids just can't do.

LTG

LTG

Stalker

Posted Jun 5, 2012 @ 12:54 PM

They dont really expect these kids to be great actors hence the writing based on their normal personalities. No point writing a character the kids just can't do.

Unfortunately, one thing I've learned from this season of Glee is that even if you're just playing yourself, you still need to be able to act. Otherwise, you just risk playing yourself as stiff and one-note.