Love in the Wild

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

332 replies to this topic

Strega

Strega

Fanatic

Posted May 29, 2011 @ 1:44 AM

"Love in the Wild" puts relationships to the ultimate test. Hosted by Darren McMullen (Australian "Minute to Win It"), 10 single men and 10 single women, all looking for love, will experience a romantic adventure unlike anything they could have ever imagined. These singles have tried it all - speed-dating, blind-dating, Internet dating -- and now, they're headed deep into the remote jungles of Costa Rica to see if they can find that special someone they've been looking for.

In each episode, the couples will pair up in exhilarating quests that will push their bodies and their emotions to the limit. Some of these include paddling down crocodile-ridden waters, navigating through bat-infested caves and hanging 200 feet above the rain forest floor as they descend down one of the most majestic waterfalls in Costa Rica. These exploits will put their relationships to the test as they fall for each other in ways they never imagined. Sparks will fly and hearts will break.

I hope they can recapture the magic that was Looking for Love. Ah, the magic of terribleness. Anyway, TWoP will be weecapping this and I needed to set up a thread for linkage so: ta da.

LakeGal

LakeGal

Fanatic

Posted May 29, 2011 @ 5:09 PM

Somehow this feels like a cross between Paradise Hotel and Outback Jack. I will watch the first episode out of curiousity.

oakgal

oakgal

Stalker

• Interests:Scrabble, modern design, crosswords, collecting handbags, reading mysteries and procrastinating.

Posted May 29, 2011 @ 6:14 PM

Yup, that's exactly what it sounds like---and I will also watch out of curiosity. And boredom. My taste level takes a nosedive when the temperature rises.

Edited by oakgal, May 29, 2011 @ 6:16 PM.

LakeGal

LakeGal

Fanatic

Posted Jun 29, 2011 @ 10:03 PM

Starts tonight!

I watched tonight. It is like a more adventure filled version of Paradise Hotel. They have to pair up and share a cabin. They can switch partners. I liked the couple that won this evening. I still don't know most of the names. But I see some jealousy problems in the future.

Jadiem

Jadiem

Channel Surfer

Posted Jun 29, 2011 @ 10:23 PM

I'm surprised they couldn't wring more drama from "The Amazing Race visits Temptation Island". Production values look slightly low for this type of show on a major network. And even though they almost completely cut some people from the episode, the only contestants who really came across strongly were Ben, Vanessa and maybe Samantha.

Shallowly, I'm hoping Kym and Jessica choose to form their own little pixie couple so that I can ignore the rest of the show. That will also allow Jason to pick a dude.

Aunt Pittypat

Aunt Pittypat

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 30, 2011 @ 9:16 AM

...the only contestants who really came across strongly were Ben, Vanessa and maybe Samantha.

I thought the guy with Vanessa, Steele (gag), came off pretty well. He seemed fairly bland at first but had some funny moments. I was disappointed he didn't dump Vanessa and give it a go with Dawn.

That will also allow Jason to pick a dude.

He's the guy who is afraid of ants, yes? LOL.

KimbaLaw

KimbaLaw

Channel Surfer

Posted Jun 30, 2011 @ 11:36 AM

What the hell is up with all the fake eyelashes??? I they trying to lure in tarantulas from the jungle? They look ridiculous! Of course the whole premise of this and the other "dating" shows are beyond ridiculous. Somehow I don't feel as disgusted with myself for watching this dreck over the Bachelor/ette.

nemivi

nemivi

Just Tuned In

Posted Jun 30, 2011 @ 11:40 AM

I dislike the elimination format for this kind of show. If it's about building relationships then let them build some relationships and find some other kind of consequence for coming in last place. Or just have there be a reward for the winners and let the challenge order be the choosing order minus the elimination. There has to be some entertainment to be had out of the last two (who likely don't want each other) getting stuck together.

Shallowly, I'm hoping Kym and Jessica choose to form their own little pixie couple so that I can ignore the rest of the show. That will also allow Jason to pick a dude.

Lol. An interesting thought. I can imagine the scene when Kym goes "I pick... Jessica." Chaos.

3 is enough

3 is enough

Fanatic

Posted Jun 30, 2011 @ 12:24 PM

What the hell is up with all the fake eyelashes??? I they trying to lure in tarantulas from the jungle? They look ridiculous!

Yes! I was highly amused by this. Actually, I found the whole show to be really funny. I just stumbled across it, and stayed for the laughs. "Steele" ? Really? Wonder if that is actually the name his parents gave him.

I have to say, if those guys are a true representation of what's out there these days, I'm glad to be in my 50's and married for 30+ years.

Edited by 3 is enough, Jun 30, 2011 @ 12:25 PM.

Way Wes Jr

Way Wes Jr

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 30, 2011 @ 1:30 PM

I was hoping for an entertaining train-wreck, and NBC delivered. You can say you've come on the show to look for love and have an adventure - but, seriously, you're all famewhores. And I like my famewhores to be tortured.

I don't think the elimination format is "fair," but as the second most evil dodge-ball pick line ever, (that season of Survivor, where two people didn't even get to compete? That was evil of Burnett,) I'm going to enjoy me some schadenfreude.

maggy

maggy

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 30, 2011 @ 4:30 PM

This is some trashy tv that I can get behind. A bunch of pretty (*snicker*), shallow people pretending to be looking for love? A competition in the wild? People being afraid to say no to someone choose them because they don't want to get kicked off the island?

I agree with the other poster - this is like Paradise Hotel goodness. :)

NolieBlue

NolieBlue

Fanatic

Posted Jun 30, 2011 @ 10:55 PM

I was hoping for an entertaining train-wreck, and NBC delivered.

Yes! My new guilty pleasure.

pinkluxe1

pinkluxe1

Video Archivist

Posted Jul 1, 2011 @ 12:55 AM

I completely expected to hate this show, but after watching how terribly Expedition Impossible turned out, anything is an improvement. I actually quite enjoyed this.

Production values look slightly low for this type of show on a major network.

This was the first thing I noticed. Other than the Oasis Suite, this show looks show looks ultra cheap. Even the title graphic looks really bad.

I really can't make any sense out of the elimination process, but I agree with others that it seems unfair. If I were up for elimination, I'd just say yes to the first person who asked me to join their team. If your goal is to win the show, rather than true love, that would seem like the best strategy. If you say no, and no one else picks you, then you're toast.

I like the host. He seems fun.

Vanessa's make-up is awful.

And as others have said "Steele"??? Really??? I looked up his golf stats, but I know nothing about golf so that was quite pointless.

Most of these people aren't as unlikeable as I had expected. The only person I really found to be grating and annoying was Dawn so I was glad to see her go.

Edited by pinkluxe1, Jul 1, 2011 @ 1:03 AM.

ElectricBoogalo

ElectricBoogalo

Stalker

Posted Jul 1, 2011 @ 8:26 AM

seriously, you're all famewhores. And I like my famewhores to be tortured.

I have found my people for I too enjoy the famewhores to have to work for their famewhoredom, and here's where they pay in discomfort, humiliation, and any other way to remind them of their low self esteem.

When that log raft fell apart in the (allegedly) croc infested waters, I laughed my ass off. I knew they wouldn't actually let these dummies get eaten by crocodiles, but their fear was delectable!

That's right, girls, squash your inner (or not so inner) bitch because you don't want the guys to know what a bitch you are yet! That's a true level of desperation when you think the guy is being a useless wuss but you still want him to like you.

docterv

docterv

Channel Surfer

Posted Jul 1, 2011 @ 9:10 PM

They have paved sidewalks in the jungle? Really. This supposedly "remote jungle of Costa Rica" looks like the backyard of a swanky resort.
I bet it's the same place used for "I'm a Celebrity...Get Me Out of Here", yet another high class NBC production. The crocodiles of Costa Rica call shenanigans. ;-)

AuroraAustralis

AuroraAustralis

Fanatic

Posted Jul 2, 2011 @ 12:50 AM

I liked it! It's like a white elephant gift exchange but with people.

I hope as they go along we get the "Claire, Phoenix, AZ" type sub-titles replaced with "Claire, Has slept with Erik, Cody, Jason, Steve and Vern".

Yeuklid

Yeuklid

Video Archivist

Posted Jul 2, 2011 @ 5:03 AM

Junior high meets Gilligan's Island, or Survivor meets The Bachelor, or any number of other combinations. This show is so manufactured and so entirely derivative, it doesn't even know what it wants to be or where it wants to go. I'm a fan of Survivor, and I've been known to endorse The Bachelor as (unless this is an oxymoron) a quality guilty pleasure, but I couldn't watch this for 10 minutes. Needless to say I wasn't around for the closing credits but it wouldn't surprise me if one of them said, Special Consultant to the Executive Producer: Evan Marriott.

ElectricBoogalo

ElectricBoogalo

Stalker

Posted Jul 2, 2011 @ 6:32 AM

I hope as they go along we get the "Claire, Phoenix, AZ" type sub-titles replaced with "Claire, Has slept with Erik, Cody, Jason, Steve and Vern".

I vote for this!

They have paved sidewalks in the jungle? Really.

And huge towers of scaffolding to climb! Maybe the power of their love has paved and built all this stuff.

mertensia

mertensia

Fanatic

Posted Jul 2, 2011 @ 8:02 AM

They have paved sidewalks in the jungle? Really. This supposedly "remote jungle of Costa Rica" looks like the backyard of a swanky resort.

Well, at least one of the ads claimed that they were "thousands of miles from civilization".

I'll watch this for the Costa Rican scenery and the highly amusing bickering.

AuroraAustralis

AuroraAustralis

Fanatic

Posted Jul 2, 2011 @ 10:16 AM

Thousands of miles? So they consider all of Central America uncivilized? LOL

Ever since Survivor effectively ended casual contestant hook-ups after season 1, I've wondered why there hasn't been a show that's like Survivor plus the Dating Game.

SparksFan59

SparksFan59

Fanatic

Posted Jul 6, 2011 @ 4:27 PM

My first impression was Outback Jack meets TAR and Temptation Island.

Such a summer guilty pleasure. :) I find I get a wicked pleasure out of seeing high maintenance peeps running around the jungle.

Edited by SparksFan59, Jul 6, 2011 @ 4:27 PM.

Aunt Pittypat

Aunt Pittypat

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 6, 2011 @ 4:56 PM

I find I get a wicked pleasure out of seeing high maintenance peeps running around the jungle.

Especially when they are forced to do things like climb up a (very tall) tower in the jungle heat then make out with a stranger. I think one dude actually dripped sweat on his partner.

Jadiem

Jadiem

Channel Surfer

Posted Jul 6, 2011 @ 11:54 PM

I can't believe I'm still watching this, but this episode was an improvement.

Loved the elimination. First rejection of the season, and instant karma follows. Poor Peter picked the only gal who I think was ready to leave the show entirely rather than get stuck with another partner she wasn't confident in. On the downside, he was one of the only guys whose appearance could be easily distinguished from the other dudes. If Jason leaves next, they all become Generic Dark-Haired White Guy.

Love love Kym's cute pointy ears that were previously hiding under her hair. But thank god she has no interest in having children with Adam, because their kids would take off like human kites in a gentle breeze with those ear genetics.

Poor Adam. Seems like a decent enough non-douchebag meathead, but I don't know how he got cast for a show based on looks. Give up on Kym, dude. Chicks who hate cats are always trouble.

Good thinking from Jason going with Jessica, and not just because I like her. If you're in that position, you're basically giving your choice away if you choose the second-to-last girl instead of the last girl. Choosing Vanessa is basically taking a "pass".

3 is enough

3 is enough

Fanatic

Posted Jul 7, 2011 @ 1:19 AM

Love love Kym's cute pointy ears that were previously hiding under her hair. But thank god she has no interest in having children with Adam, because their kids would take off like human kites in a gentle breeze with those ear genetics.

That is one of the funniest comments I have ever read on TWOP.

This show is truly a guilty pleasure. Not sorry to see Vanessa go, she has some real entitlement issues, and always looks like she sucking lemons. Peter? What can I say? Karma's a bitch.

I did feel sorry for Heather and Miles- they seemed to want to stay together, but Adam picked her and she couldn't say no.

I like the host. I bet some of the girls wish they could pick him.

mertensia

mertensia

Fanatic

Posted Jul 7, 2011 @ 2:57 AM

Ha. Vanessa thought she had Steele wrapped around her little finger and instead he ditched her and she's out. Ha.

Not too pleased with Jessica who couldn't believe a man could be afraid of heights. Oh shut up, Jessica.

Ha. Vanessa thought she had Steele wrapped around her little finger and instead he ditched her and she's out. Ha.

Not too pleased with Jessica who couldn't believe a man could be afraid of heights. Oh shut up, Jessica.

BusyOctober

BusyOctober

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jul 7, 2011 @ 7:13 AM

When they were switching cabins I couldn't get over the number of suitcases these people have! I get that the girls probably need 2 humungous bags - 1 for clothes and 1 for make-up, hair extensions and eyelashes- but I think a couple of the dudes had multiple cases as well. Also, the wardrobe changes - I do not get it. Why evening gowns and suits?? Wouldn't it be more realistic for these eople to find "true" love if the partners could see them without all the glitz? Where's the "Wild"? They are on a luxury resort compound and it apears they have a hair and make-up crew at the ready for every "adventure". Come on! If I wore that much eyeliner in the humid climate of the jungle, running, climbing trees and swimming, (or hell, even sitting still) I'd look like a raccoon in 2 minutes flat.

Oh yeah - Buh-BY Vanessa! HAHAHAHA!

canadiankitty

canadiankitty

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 7, 2011 @ 7:24 AM

Wouldn't it be more realistic for these eople to find "true" love if the partners could see them without all the glitz? Where's the "Wild"? They are on a luxury resort compound and it apears they have a hair and make-up crew at the ready for every "adventure". Come on! If I wore that much eyeliner in the humid climate of the jungle, running, climbing trees and swimming, (or hell, even sitting still) I'd look like a raccoon in 2 minutes flat.

I was thinking the same thing. The false eyelashes are what get me. And last week, they were supposedly just waking up and in full makeup! LOL

Aunt Pittypat

Aunt Pittypat

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 7, 2011 @ 7:34 AM

I loved that Erica even had her eyes "on" the next morning when she was sleeping outside . I don't know how all these women aren't breaking out terribly given the humidity and that they apparently never remove their make up.

Speaking of Erica, she was one of my favorites last week and this week she was awful! I understand that it is a frustrating experience, but it really isn't that hard to say "I'm sorry, but I'm getting really frustrated and just need a minute or two of quiet to pull myself together." I didn't see what Jason was doing to make her that irritated, but even if he was irritating her she could have handled it 100% better.

I'm glad Vanessa is gone.

Way Wes Jr

Way Wes Jr

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 7, 2011 @ 8:43 AM

This is a guilty pleasure show, no analysis or in depth commentary. Vanessa annoyed me in the premiere, and apparently everyone by the end of this episode. Buh-bye. I felt a (little) sad for unfrozen caveman surfer, and I will give him props for actually playing the actual game (having fun/making a connection,) rather than the meta-game (staying on the show as long as possible for famewhoredom.)

ElectricBoogalo

ElectricBoogalo

Stalker

Posted Jul 7, 2011 @ 9:15 AM

Vanessa is pretty stupid for someone in law school. Then again, I don't remember her saying which law school she attends so it's probably one of those third tier "if you can afford the private school tuition, we'll take you" kind of schools.

I can't remember what idiotic thing she said last week, but this week it was Dr. Jekyll and Mrs. Hyde. I laughed SO HARD at her stupidity. I guess I should give her a little bit of credit. Once she realized that Steele was going to dump her ass, she immediately went sniffing around to find a guy to save her during elimination.

Then again, minus points because she thought Steele dumped her because she was "coming on too strong." No, he dumped you because you're loud, annoying, and not very attractive. I don't particularly like Steele, but he was smart to get out of that pairing.

I found it hilarious that she said Steele is the kind of guy that every girl dreams of and then her only explanation about that was that he's hot. First of all, he's not THAT hot. Secondly, some of us take personality into consideration. It really did show her true colors though.

Now that Vanessa is gone, Jessica wins the lemon sucking face award. She looked miserable during elimination and had the crankiest face I've seen in a long time.

What really got me was the god awful grammar these people use. The funniest one was when one of the girls said, "That's the bottom story." At least I could laugh at that one, but when you combine all the stereotypical reality dating show catch phrases (like journeys and connections) with bad grammar like "John and I's relationship," I feel the need to punch someone in the face.

The fake eyelashes are OUT OF CONTROL. I understand wanting to be pretty when you're on a dating show, but when you are wearing inch long fakies that look like something a Vegas drag queen would wear, it's a bit much.

Kym was pretty blunt bordering on rude during her lunch discussion with her partner. Loved that she thought those shoes were appropriate for an outing in nature. I wish they'd shown her spiked heels sinking into the ground and her falling over.