Jaime "Kingslayer" Lannister: The Things He Does for Love

• Please log in to reply

877 replies to this topic

agora

agora

Fanatic

Posted Apr 2, 2012 @ 2:16 PM

And he never showed fear to that direwolf, I'll give him that much.

ElizaBlue

ElizaBlue

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 4, 2012 @ 5:25 AM

Being a prisoner is a good look on him for some reason. Aesthetically speaking.

In S1 he was so.. polished.

not Bridget

not Bridget

Fanatic

Posted Apr 4, 2012 @ 8:48 AM

I watched all of Season 1 On Command, just before the new season started. On a TV that is much better than the one I had back then...

One particular scene, when he was half-shadowed in a doorway dressed in his full knightly garb, took my breath away. He was the very picture of a noble knight from some old book. And, for all the he has done & all will be done to him--part of him remains that noble knight.

Constantinople

Constantinople

Fanatic

Posted Apr 4, 2012 @ 10:00 AM

I think Jaime was afraid of Grey Wolf. Jaime closed his eyes as the direwolf walked towards him, and turned his head away with a tense expression on his face. That is not, IMO, a look of fearlessness.

And Robb definitely got the better of him. "Prove it" and "it's just gossip" is a pathetically weak response to the charge of incest and Joffrey's illegitimacy. Those are the sort of things where people expect outright and loud denials, not world weary indifference.

Besides, Jaimie already admitted to Catelyn that he deliberately pushed Bran out the window with the intent to kill him.

Smagu

Smagu

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 4, 2012 @ 10:18 AM

And Robb definitely got the better of him.

I actually felt that the entire encounter diminished Robb more than it did anything to Jaime. Jaime is trussed up in a cage, and Robb comes in to...gloat? I don't really get it. Plus he stands about as far away as he can, and has his wolf do the threatening. I think Robb knows deep down that if they were to come to blows, Jaime would absolutely massacre him without breaking a sweat. (Not surprising, obviously, since Robb's still a teen and Jaime is one of the best swordsmen in Westeros, if not the best.)

Shadow Walker

Shadow Walker

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 4, 2012 @ 12:39 PM

I do think Jaime was afraid of the wolf but I thought he handled it well. Other people would not have held up as well as he did in that situation.

I love that the scene between Robb and Jaime is all over Tumblr.

cyberducks

cyberducks

Fanatic

Posted Apr 6, 2012 @ 12:42 AM

And Robb definitely got the better of him.

Did he really? Easy to threaten an unarmed and chained-up helpless man with a huge and ferocious animal while keeping at a safe distance from him.

Scoutlet

Scoutlet

Fanatic

Posted Apr 6, 2012 @ 5:34 AM

I agree. Jaime showed a little fear but given that he is bound and unable to defend himself he can't be blamed. I would say Robb did well to restrain his impulse to kill Jaime, but otherwise I don't see how he bested him.

Constantinople

Constantinople

Fanatic

Posted Apr 6, 2012 @ 12:04 PM

Robb got the better of Jaime because Jaime issued a non-denial about being Joffrey's father, the sort of non-denial politicians give when they're guilty, don't want to lie with an outright denial, but don't want to admit it either.

Robb also got the better of Jaime because he cut through Jaime's BS fearlessness facade. I'd be scared of the wolf too, but I don't promote myself as Ser Jaime the fearless (or possibly Ser Jaime the apathetic).

Robb pointed out that if Jaime is calling him a boy to insult Robb, Jaime is insulting only himself.

And 3 victories is better than 3 defeats.

Jaimie tried several barbs, they all failed and his self-promoted image was shown to be false. So Robb got the better of him.

Scoutlet

Scoutlet

Fanatic

Posted Apr 7, 2012 @ 11:04 AM

Does Jaime promote himself as fearless? I thought it was just as a great warrior. And in a fair match with no wolf to fight for him, Robb would get his ass whooped by Jaime.

Maximum Taco

Maximum Taco

Fanatic

Posted Apr 7, 2012 @ 11:14 AM

Does Jaime promote himself as fearless? I thought it was just as a great warrior. And in a fair match with no wolf to fight for him, Robb would get his ass whooped by Jaime.

I think everyone agrees with that statement. Even Robb.

Remember last year? "If we do it your way, Kingslayer, you'd win. We're not doing it your way."

agora

agora

Fanatic

Posted Apr 7, 2012 @ 1:43 PM

Does Jaime promote himself as fearless? I thought it was just as a great warrior.

Tyrion seems to think so: he praises his brother's ability with a sword as much as he praises his own ability using his brain/mind.

The only thing Jamie is scared of, in my opinion, its for the whole realm to find out what's going on between him and Cercei.

Constantinople

Constantinople

Fanatic

Posted Apr 7, 2012 @ 5:30 PM

Does Jaime promote himself as fearless?

In his first scene of the series, Jaime tells Cersei that she worries too much and she scolds him that he doesn't worry at all. Then she reminded him of the time he jumped off a cliff.

So I do think he promotes himself as fearless, especially since he's often pointlessly antagonistic in conversation.

kieran555

kieran555

Fanatic

Posted Apr 7, 2012 @ 5:51 PM

If memory serves he also claimed with Cat not to be afraid of death, all 'We're all going to die someday, so why cry about it?' (not verbatim) and in response to Cersei's fears about Bran telling what he saw, his response was to claim he'd kill everyone in the world to protect them, and not to show any hint of fear or worry about a more realistic response.

Robb definitely got the better of the verbal badinage, but Jaime played it pretty cooly all things considered, and dealt with the very scary situation by holding up well in the face of it. One does wonder what weeks more captivity might do to him though, as there is this feeling with Jaime that his typical personality is quite brittle, and we've already seen moments when a bit more than his deliberate provocation shows through (such as as Cat was leaving last season). It's hard to argue he doesn't deserve all he's received and a hell of a lot more, but I like that it is not just wishful thinking to say there is more to him than his one note defiance.

Shadow Walker

Shadow Walker

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 8, 2012 @ 9:11 PM

I would have rather watched Jaime just sitting in his cage doing nothing then the pointless scene between Theon and that girl on the ship.

Im always a tiny bit bummed when he isnt on but I knew he wouldnt be since his name wasnt in the opening credits.

agora

agora

Fanatic

Posted Apr 8, 2012 @ 9:20 PM

I would have rather watched Jaime just sitting in his cage doing nothing then the pointless scene between Theon and that girl on the ship.

In my opinion, Theon has the attitude but lacks the looks, Jamie has both the looks and the attitude.

Now if only he wouldn't be in love with his twin sister, Jamie Lannister could've been the perfect man IMO.

Edited by agora, Apr 8, 2012 @ 9:21 PM.

Hecate7

Hecate7

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 9, 2012 @ 6:30 AM

The only thing Jamie is scared of, in my opinion, its for the whole realm to find out what's going on between him and Cercei.

I think he'd be just fine with the whole world knowing, were it not for the fact that if it were finally proved, he and Cersei would have to watch their children be put to death as cruelly as the black-haired kids of Episode I, and he'd have to watch Cersei watch it, and then watch Cersei die in some horribly cruel, legally correct way.

That's what he's scared of, and justifiably so. The legal punishment for the things Cersei's crimes against Robert Baratheon & the crown is most likely something unimaginably awful. I'm sure as Cersei's accomplice he'd face equally awful stuff, but he'd most likely have to watch hers first, and I think he'd rather die now. He's trying awfully hard to goad Catelyn and Robb into killing him, IMO for that reason.

agora

agora

Fanatic

Posted Apr 9, 2012 @ 10:41 PM

I don't know, Jamie always seemed to put Cercei above their children to me, which is the perfect yin to her yang as Cercei has always seemed to put their children above Jamie himself.

Edited by agora, Apr 9, 2012 @ 10:42 PM.

Shadow Walker

Shadow Walker

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 9, 2012 @ 11:09 PM

I agree that Jaime puts Cercei above the children also. Im sure even he knows Joffrey is a monster. Jaime is no fool. Im not sure how or what he feels for Marcella and Tommen. I think they are good kids though.

JoleneBrown

JoleneBrown

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 9, 2012 @ 11:29 PM

I would really like to see a scene which hints as to what Jamie feels for his children. So far we haven't gotten any sense of that at all on the show.

agora

agora

Fanatic

Posted Apr 10, 2012 @ 11:17 AM

I distinctively remember their breakfast with uncle Tyrion last season, Jamie seemed so warm and content I think he actually would've enjoyed to call those children his own if things would've been different...

morrigan2575

morrigan2575

Fanatic

Posted Apr 10, 2012 @ 11:28 AM

Does anyone know why Jamie isn't married? Even if he's madly in love with Cersei I'd expect that he'd have had an arranged marriage as he is the oldest male and would inherit Castilly Rock.

I get the feeling that while Jamie seems to really love Cersei he cares very deeply for Tyrion and I think that seems to put a divide up between Jamie/Cersei and Jamie/Tywin.

kieran555

kieran555

Fanatic

Posted Apr 10, 2012 @ 11:44 AM

Does anyone know why Jamie isn't married? Even if he's madly in love with Cersei I'd expect that he'd have had an arranged marriage as he is the oldest male and would inherit Castilly Rock.

As per offically released http://viewers-guide.hbo.com/game-of-thrones/season2/#!/guide/houses/baratheon/ser-barristan-selmy/beyond-the-houses/'>info, the Kingsguard oath includes not marrying. Also from holding land, so he shouldn't be able to inherit Casterly Rock, but then no-one in Westeros seems to be following 'law' such as it is these days.

Edited by kieran555, Apr 10, 2012 @ 11:45 AM.

Hecate7

Hecate7

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 13, 2012 @ 12:20 AM

He probably does put Cersei above the children, but that doesn't mean he doesn't care at all about them. He knows how she feels about them--they're the one thing she really does care about besides him. Even if he didn't care about them, for her sake he would be desperate to keep them safe, knowing what it would do to her to see them treated like those poor kids at the end of episode 1.

Especially since, unlike those kids who were being rather randomly executed for their marginal claims to the throne, Jaime's children, at least Joffrey, have committed the crimes of usurping the throne. The younger two might face fairly quick deaths, but Joff's would be historic. I think Joffrey would be happy if Jaime died instead of getting released, because it would guarantee that Jaime can't ever confess. A confession from Jaime would bury them all.

Even so, Cersei's punishment now, having committed treasonable adultery, placed a usurper on the throne, and committed regicide, would be far more severe than Joff's, and so even if Jaime downright hated the kids, he'd keep his mouth shut no matter the cost to himself, I think.

jeansheridan

jeansheridan

Fanatic

Posted Apr 15, 2012 @ 7:02 PM

Jaime is one of my favorite characters too. I see the potential for redemption, which always makes for an interesting story arc. Plus he'll say almost anything, like Tyrion. And it doesn't hurt that the actor is sooo handsome! I don't like blonds, but man ...there's a twinkle in his eye. If he hadn't pushed Bran out a window, I'd adore him. But there is something breathtaking about a man who really will do anything for love--child murder, incest, and whatever else we don't know yet. Althought I do think he regrets pushing Bran. If he had given it more thought, I don't think that would have been his final choice. It was his FIRST choice, unfortunately, but he is a solider. Brutal, effective (mostly).

agora

agora

Fanatic

Posted Apr 16, 2012 @ 5:38 PM

To be honest, it's not the fact Jamie threw a boy about his son's age through a window, but the fact that he actually is in love with his sister what bothers me the most about the character.

*ETA: The fact that his sister is Cercei only adds a new level of messed-up to the whole thing as I see it.

Edited by agora, Apr 16, 2012 @ 5:42 PM.

Constantinople

Constantinople

Fanatic

Posted Apr 16, 2012 @ 7:56 PM

...the fact that he actually is in love with his sister what bothers me the most about the character.

I think Jamie has a great deal of self-hatred or at least self-loathing, and his love for his sister is an expression of that.

lemonparty

lemonparty

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 17, 2012 @ 7:00 AM

One of the best things about show Jaime is that Nikolaj Coster-Waldau seems to totally "feel" and empathize (if not necessarily sympathize) with the character. He seems to really enjoy playing Jaime and acting in his shoes.

agora

agora

Fanatic

Posted Apr 17, 2012 @ 9:42 AM

He completely sold the role for me, which I believe goes to prove the actor is committed to the character.

JoleneBrown

JoleneBrown

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 17, 2012 @ 6:01 PM

I think he sympathizes! He seems totally offended on Jaime's behalf that no one sees that he slew the Mad King for them and instead call him Kingslayer in a negative way!