Daenerys Targaryen: Waking the Dragon

• Please log in to reply

280 replies to this topic

anothermi

anothermi

Fanatic

Posted May 23, 2011 @ 5:12 PM

She deserves her own thread by now. Her brother has clearly become a dead-end story line (pun intended). I will bring a few posts about her from the general Targaryen thread to kick this thread off. Maybe include a couple that reference her brother because of his importance to her story line.
As always, the Mods Rules on Spoilers apply here.

Items posted after:

Episode 1 - Winter is Coming #3 / #5 / #18

Episode 2 - The Kings Road #26 - #29 / #34 - #36

Episode 5 - The Wolf & the Lion #62 - #64

She is probably the character that has changed the most so far. From constant fear to revelling in her position after managing to eat the entire heart without puking. (I'm curious what they used for that heart?)

Also, her hand maiden was translating Viserys for Drogo but SHE translated what he said to her brother. I wonder if she used words that would soothe him, or translated exactly what Drogo said? At this point I almost feel that she had a hand in manipulating him into putting the sword down. Any one else?

Edited by anothermi, May 23, 2011 @ 5:22 PM.

kieran555

kieran555

Fanatic

Posted May 23, 2011 @ 5:24 PM

I think she realized he had to die, that he was going to die no matter what after what he had just done, and I do think she tried to calm him down in an odd fashion. She was clearly compartmentalizing things in a rather creepy and effective way, and her calm towards him was a part of that.

Smagu

Smagu

Couch Potato

Posted May 23, 2011 @ 6:26 PM

I've read the books multiple times, I'm loving the show, I've posted and read many message boards about the series...and I still can't reliably spell her name.

fallingfortruth

fallingfortruth

Couch Potato

Posted May 25, 2011 @ 9:18 AM

This is one of the many reasons that I usually stick to calling her Dany. Also! Viserys called her Dany! And it might have killed me in the heart, just a little.

I'm going to miss Harry Lloyd, even though by this point in the book I was jumping up and down and cheering. Can we find him a totally kickass show to do so we can see more of him? Hopefully a little less crazy-eyed than V and Son-of-Mine?

Vega01

Vega01

Couch Potato

Posted May 25, 2011 @ 2:04 PM

I've only read the first book and that was a couple of years ago and I didn't notice that it was just the narrator calling her Dany and not the characteres, it was when the show started and people in the forums wondered why she was being called that that I realized it. So the fact that Viserys called her Dany when he was begging for his life was incredibly poignant. I checked the book and he does in fact call her Danny at that moment so now I have a different appreciation for the writer.

Danny was my favorite in the book but her scenes usually would squick me out a little bit because she was so young (only 13) and I couldn't picture her at all. I really like the portrayal by Emilia Clarke and I'm glad I could finally put a face to the character. I'll keep pretending for the next books (I have them now too, but I'm debating wether to read them now or wait for each season to end to finish every book).

anothermi

anothermi

Fanatic

Posted Jun 8, 2011 @ 8:34 PM

Daenerys is starting to carve a place for herself with the Dothraki. I wonder if she will end up being a cultural-change influence on them?
She's starting small. Claiming women who would be seen as payment and challenging that Dothraki men could marry them if they want to mount them.

If that actually happened and some other men became as pleased with the result as Drogo is, that might start to erode the Dothraki culture towards women. Maybe not the "sheep" women, but some women.

It could go either way for her. She could be a force for change that is welcome, or that is hated.

Edited by anothermi, Jun 8, 2011 @ 8:35 PM.

SimplyS

SimplyS

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 9, 2011 @ 11:48 AM

Danny was my favorite in the book but her scenes usually would squick me out a little bit because she was so young (only 13) and I couldn't picture her at all.

God, yes, her entire arc in GoT is very hard for me to read just because of how young she is.

Like Jon Snow (and Robb to a lesser extent, since his inexperience was actually part of his story) (and probably Sansa next year, though that one's still going to be extremely creepy), I feel like her story improves immeasurably by making her older. Not just because it takes some of the squick factor out of her marriage to Drogo, but her growth into a tentative but very real queen is more believable (just like Jon's badass-ness as a swordsman is easier to swallow when he's not 14).

Edited by SimplyS, Jun 9, 2011 @ 11:49 AM.

fallingfortruth

fallingfortruth

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 9, 2011 @ 2:05 PM

I appreciate that GRRM has said repeatedly in interviews that if he could go back in time he would have aged up all the children, and that the show gave him a chance to do that when introducing the story to a different medium. Dany's arc makes basically infinitely more sense on a girl of 17ish than it does someone who's just run face-first into puberty, and I'm looking forward to seeing how she grows.

onestepaway07

onestepaway07

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jun 9, 2011 @ 7:45 PM

Dany (and Emilia Clarke) continues to justify my obsession with her. Considering there's only 2 episodes left I feel like I want to cry every time Sunday passes by because I know I have to wait a whole week to watch a new episode. What am I going to do when the season ends?

Back to Daenerys, you can see her growth so much these last few episodes and you get the feeling that she's not done growing yet. I feel it's going to get epic very soon.

bluvelvet

bluvelvet

Fanatic

Posted Jun 9, 2011 @ 8:41 PM

Danny was my favorite in the book but her scenes usually would squick me out a little bit because she was so young (only 13) and I couldn't picture her at all.

I had the same issue with her age in the book especially in the sex scenes with Drogo who was a grown mature man.

I have never heard of Emilia Clarke before but she has done a great job, especially going from the scared girl in episode one to a proud queen in episode 8. I especially loved how she stated that she was not soft.

emjay1116

emjay1116

Stalker

Posted Jun 9, 2011 @ 10:29 PM

Dany might be my favorite character. I love Arya too, but watching Dany's journey is probably better than Arya. She's really grown so much and come such a long way. I felt so bad for her at first, having her skeezy brother sell her out for his own purposes (and he has the nerve to call her a whore?) without a thought about her (he'd let all 40000 Dothraki and their horses fuck her to get what he wanted, and to hell with how she might feel about such an arrangement). But she's found strength and confidence to stand up not only to him but apparently to anyone who opposes her ("and dragon feeds on horse and lamb"). Plus she ate a heart and didn't puke; that's badass. I look forward to reading the books and seeing the rest of her story and how much more she grows.
And I love her relationship with Drogo. Those crazy kids seem so in love with each other, and it makes me happy to see someone finally loves and respects her and treats her well. I'm rooting for them.

And Emilia Clarke is really doing a great job. (And she's pretty. Why yes, I am shallow. haha)

swguardswoman

swguardswoman

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jun 10, 2011 @ 10:32 AM

Dany is awesome. I especially like in how they seem to be portraying her as a complete badass and maybe even a little bit cray-cray. Like she has this one expression with her eyes that totally says to whomever she's talking to "I could watch you burn to death and not even give a shit." She even uses it on her friends, sometimes, if they displease her. Don't mess with the dragon!!

But then she's so pretty when she smiles too...! *sigh*

Danny Franks

Danny Franks

Stalker

Posted Jun 11, 2011 @ 7:11 AM

I appreciate that GRRM has said repeatedly in interviews that if he could go back in time he would have aged up all the children, and that the show gave him a chance to do that when introducing the story to a different medium. Dany's arc makes basically infinitely more sense on a girl of 17ish than it does someone who's just run face-first into puberty, and I'm looking forward to seeing how she grows.

It's interesting that he's said that. I think I agree, as when I first picked up the AGOT, I was a bit put off by all the young teenagers running about. I think GRRM was trying to make it feel as Medieval as possible, with the short childhoods and the fact that characters were doing things at a very young age, at least by modern standards. I mean, King John married Isabella of Angouléme when she was 12, and she was apparently already considered a great beauty. It just defies our understanding, I think, which is why GRRM should have made that concession to his audience and made them all the sort of age that we would expect when reading Dany's story, or Jon's, or even Sansa's.

Anyway, I agree that Emilia Clarke has been doing a wonderful job with this character. Even when I think of scenes from the books now, it's this Dany I see in my head. The fact that Emilia Clarke is just gorgeous, and exudes that aura of vulnerability and need for protection is perfect for the character. It will set her in good stead for a very long and successful career, I feel.

Elehop

Elehop

Channel Surfer

Posted Jun 14, 2011 @ 10:41 AM

When Mirri Maz Duur said "Only death can pay for life," and Daenerys sort of whispered, "My death?" what do you think she meant?

I've seen some people taking it to mean that she prepared to sacrifice herself for Drogo. I don't believe that at all. I think she has a very strong survival instinct, honed by all those years on the run and fired up by Viserys' death. Plus she "does not have a gentle heart" in her own words. Sure, she and Drogo ended up being lovey-dovey, but at the end of the day she is the blood of the dragon.

And this is ignoring the fact that if she were to die, the baby dies too. Mothering instinct might kick in as well.

(Note: I did read the book some time ago but I don't remember what was going through Daenerys' head at that point. If you do know from the book, don't bring it up.)

Danny Franks

Danny Franks

Stalker

Posted Jun 14, 2011 @ 2:55 PM

When Mirri Maz Duur said "Only death can pay for life," and Daenerys sort of whispered, "My death?" what do you think she meant?

I've seen some people taking it to mean that she prepared to sacrifice herself for Drogo. I don't believe that at all. I think she has a very strong survival instinct, honed by all those years on the run and fired up by Viserys' death. Plus she "does not have a gentle heart" in her own words. Sure, she and Drogo ended up being lovey-dovey, but at the end of the day she is the blood of the dragon.

I could go either way on this. Really, I think that she just intended to clarify exactly what Mirri Maz Duur was talking about, and what the risks were. I don't think she was committing herself to saving Drogo even at the cost of her own life. But, with all of the melodramatic "moon and stars" stuff, it's possible that she's so caught up in the romance of it that she'd want to agree to it.

I'd like to think that Dany would have enough sense to rise about such inclinations, though. Especially if she's supposed to be a khaleesi, and one day to become a queen. She can't be placing her own needs and desires ahead of what needs to be done. I suppose it could be argued that sacrificing herself to save the great Khal Drogo would be worth it, but what would it achieve? He'd just rampage around Essos as he always has, doing nothing of particular note, and she'd be dead.

Alive, she would still have his son even if Drogo is dead, and can still plan her return to Westeros to reclaim her birthright.

I don't remember what the book said either, regarding Dany's intentions. Still, I've found that the books are not necessarily valid guides for the characters and their motivations in the tv show. Which is great.

halfwaygone

halfwaygone

Fanatic

Posted Jun 14, 2011 @ 10:20 PM

I think if the answer was Dany's death, she would've said, "Never mind." I don't ever think she has any intention of sacrificing herself.

redgarlic

redgarlic

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 15, 2011 @ 9:53 PM

I don't ever think she has any intention of sacrificing herself.

Or her unborn child, who would die with her.

pretoriantoo

pretoriantoo

Fanatic

Posted Jun 15, 2011 @ 11:24 PM

I don't think she's willing to sacrifice her child because that baby is supposed to be the heir to both her and her husband's kingdom. The way I see it, if there's one thing neither Drogo nor Dany can sacrifice is this baby.

Edited by pretoriantoo, Jun 15, 2011 @ 11:27 PM.

jeansheridan

jeansheridan

Fanatic

Posted Jun 18, 2011 @ 6:56 PM

The last episode really demonstrated Dany's journey versus Ned's. Ned was forced into a job he didn't want and so was Dany. Both had to figure out how to survive at Court. And both have made serious mistakes. I was struck about the visual parallel of Dany emerging from the tent covered in blood and Ned emerging from the dungeon in chains. Both of them had just made a hard decision. I don't know if Dany's will pay off, but I'm having a hard time believing she's dying next week. What would be the point of her entire character otherwise? Unless it's just her baby that survives and THAT's the new Dragon. And we have wait 15 years for that kid to get interesting. I think that's unlikely.

I was one of those early viewers who HATED Dany's storyline and felt awful that the actress was displayed and raped. But I've liked her resilliance as a character and it feels authentic. Someone on the other thread mocked that Dany gets her power from her husband and her dragon blood from her father. I disagree. She may have inherited her dragon blood from her father, but it's her blood now. And she may need to rely on Drago for protection and power, but she's taken every opportunity to seize whatever power she can get. It would have been nice if she could have found more allies within her husband's "court", but I'm thinking she wasn't allowed to consort with other men all that often. Nor would they have listened to her.

pretoriantoo

pretoriantoo

Fanatic

Posted Jun 18, 2011 @ 9:03 PM

...Someone on the other thread mocked that Dany gets her power from her husband and her dragon blood from her father...

I think Daenerys gathers strenght from her husband and the power of the dragon from their baby, the character is interesting to me because when you think she's being sold like a slave, she's actually being empowered by a new authority; when you think she's trapped in an traditional role, she embraces motherhood in order to claim a kingdom for her baby; when you think she's just using her husband, you realize she actually fell for him. I can't help but to admire that aspect of her, regardless where this path would lead her.

Edited by pretoriantoo, Jun 18, 2011 @ 9:03 PM.

swguardswoman

swguardswoman

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jun 18, 2011 @ 10:54 PM

I was one of those early viewers who HATED Dany's storyline and felt awful that the actress was displayed and raped. But I've liked her resilliance as a character and it feels authentic. Someone on the other thread mocked that Dany gets her power from her husband and her dragon blood from her father. I disagree. She may have inherited her dragon blood from her father, but it's her blood now. And she may need to rely on Drago for protection and power, but she's taken every opportunity to seize whatever power she can get. It would have been nice if she could have found more allies within her husband's "court", but I'm thinking she wasn't allowed to consort with other men all that often. Nor would they have listened to her.

Hear hear! Dany's journey has been incredible. However, like you I didn't like the early episodes much. I felt like I was being manipulated at first - I thought they made her intentionally kinda lame at the start so the transformation was more impactful later. However, I went back and watch eps 1-6 again today whilst cleaning my house... and I noticed that Dany wasn't really so pathetic in the first 2 episodes as I'd remembered. She always has this faraway look in her face in her scenes with Viserys... but now I recognize this face. It's the same face she puts on every time something horrible is happening later on too. She's going away inside - escaping from her abuser (Viserys). But then, you can see little flickers in her eyes - like when she knows Viserys is saying or doing something stupid, it's all there. Of course she has to hide it, but the actress is giving us these little hints all along that Dany is brilliant even from day 1.

the character is interesting to me because when you think she's being sold like a slave, she's actually being empowered by a new authority; when you think she's trapped in an traditional role, she embraces motherhood in order to claim a kingdom for her baby; when you think she's just using her husband, you realize she actually fell for him. I can't help but to admire that aspect of her, regardless where this path would lead her.

Daenerys is remarkably adaptable and resiliant which I find one of the most admirable things about her. She's dealt one of the worst hands in the show, and yet claws her way up and up and up one scene at a time through pure grit (HORSE HEART OMG). She will always make the best of an awful situation (kind of the opposite of someone we know at the wall...). She dives in head first without looking back - totally immersing herself in the Dothraki culture and ways, because if she didn't, she'd be lost - it's really the only thing to be done.

This extreme degree of adaptability does seem to lead her to some odd and questionable actions, though. Like for example when she suggested that the Dothraki should marry the women before raping them I was like "whaa"? But it's understandable. All she really knows of marriage is her own experience - sure you get raped for awhile and that sucks, but eventually it can turn out OK! :-/ Of course she's missing the fact that she was extremely lucky that Drogo wasn't a total bastard...

Edited by swguardswoman, Jun 18, 2011 @ 10:55 PM.

jeansheridan

jeansheridan

Fanatic

Posted Jun 19, 2011 @ 9:02 PM

I think Dany's interference with the rapes was one of her mistakes and she was winging it when challenged. I think her idea behind forcing the a man to marry any woman he wanted to rape was that the guys would bother with the marriage when whores are easier and faster.

I think she was over-reaching however and making an ill-advised power grab. She insisted that she did not have a "soft-heart", so it wasn't necessarily out of sympathy or empathy. Some strategy was at play, but it didn't work.

I don't think it will happen this season, but I'm eager to see Dany interact with the Lannisters and the Starks.

One of my problems with the show is that the cast is so damn large most of them never have scenes together.

They're so cute! I want one! Hee. Almost as cute as the wolves. Good CGI effects.

They're so cute! I want one! Hee. Almost as cute as the wolves. Good CGI effects.

thuganomics85

thuganomics85

Stalker

Posted Jun 19, 2011 @ 9:09 PM

So, Dany now has lost her husband, her son, and the majority of the tribe. In return, she has the beyond loyal Jorah. Well, him, whip guy, the rejects, the handmaidens, and three dragons. Yup, three fucking DRAGONS! This shit is really going to get real next season.

Nothing else to add, except that while I love a lot of the characters in their own way, Daenerys really did have the best growth out of the main characters as the season progressed and it was great to watch. And Emilia Clarke really was a great find for this show. I've said it before, but it's really amazing that this is pretty much her first real role ever (not counting guest appearances on other shows.) She's just amazing to watch. Sure, it helps that she's gorgeous but for what was really a complicated role, she aced it in my eyes.

I'm really looking forward to seeing what happens next with her in the second season (and hopefully future seasons after that); not just where the character goes, but to see where Emilia goes as an actress. I imagine the more experience she gets, she could become even better.

Edited by thuganomics85, Jun 19, 2011 @ 9:10 PM.

Zathras

Zathras

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 19, 2011 @ 10:14 PM

I don't think it will happen this season, but I'm eager to see Dany interact with the Lannisters and the Starks

I guarantee it won't happen this season.

pretoriantoo

pretoriantoo

Fanatic

Posted Jun 19, 2011 @ 10:28 PM

So, Dany now has lost her husband, her son, and the majority of the tribe. In return, she has the beyond loyal Jorah. Well, him, whip guy, the rejects, the handmaidens, and three dragons. Yup, three fucking DRAGONS!

I do wonder if she would still wish for her husband and the Rider-that-never-was instead, I think the character grew to love her husband and look forward to the life they were heading for more than any tittle or those three dragons (as awesome as those may be).

tennisgurl

tennisgurl

Video Archivist

Posted Jun 20, 2011 @ 12:39 AM

Good lord. Daenerys Targaryen for 2012

LargeRedHerring

LargeRedHerring

Channel Surfer

Posted Jun 20, 2011 @ 2:21 AM

...Someone on the other thread mocked that Dany gets her power from her husband and her dragon blood from her father...

And one of the Dothraki pointed that out last week when he said that she would be nothing without the Khal, and I love that her response ("I have never been nothing") shows that she now believes in her own power as an individual rather than in connection to someone else. She may have gotten her dragon blood from her father but under that rule she still would have been subject to the power of her crazy brother-husband. She's taken her heritage into her own now and become something else.

Badrobot92

Badrobot92

Fanatic

Posted Jun 20, 2011 @ 10:44 AM

Daenerys is remarkably adaptable and resiliant which I find one of the most admirable things about her. She's dealt one of the worst hands in the show, and yet claws her way up and up and up one scene at a time through pure grit (HORSE HEART OMG). She will always make the best of an awful situation (kind of the opposite of someone we know at the wall...). She dives in head first without looking back - totally immersing herself in the Dothraki culture and ways, because if she didn't, she'd be lost - it's really the only thing to be done.

This extreme degree of adaptability does seem to lead her to some odd and questionable actions, though. Like for example when she suggested that the Dothraki should marry the women before raping them I was like "whaa"? ...

Speaking only for myself, I'm trying to pretend she meant the Dothraki should marry their conquered's women so the invading culture could prevail that way because, otherwise, she sounds like a victim rather than the powerful woman she actually is.

*ETA: In my opinion, Dany was only lucky she fell for her husband and viceversa, it seems to me that's not the case for most married women on the Seven Kingdoms.

Edited by Badrobot92, Jun 20, 2011 @ 10:53 AM.

pretoriantoo

pretoriantoo

Fanatic

Posted Jun 20, 2011 @ 12:54 PM

And one of the Dothraki pointed that out last week when he said that she would be nothing without the Khal, and I love that her response ("I have never been nothing") shows that she now believes in her own power as an individual rather than in connection to someone else. She may have gotten her dragon blood from her father but under that rule she still would have been subject to the power of her crazy brother-husband. She's taken her heritage into her own now and become something else.

I do wonder how much its because she felt a calling to claim such power and how much its just because she's the last of her kind.

SimplyS

SimplyS

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 20, 2011 @ 1:02 PM

Good lord. Daenerys Targaryen for 2012

That's a ticket I can get behind.

Dany's journey this season was about taking her own agency. She was denied any sort of poweror control over her own life by Viserys. She gained confidence and learned how to be a queen and her own woman while she was with Drogo, but ultimately the power still came from him. Even if she'd given birth to Rhaego, her life and accomplishments would've all ultimately been about him. The death of her husband and child could've been a loss of everything for her, but it's really only the beginning. It's sad that she couldn't have it all with Drogo and Rhaego, but she's her own woman now. And crappy her her "kingdom" is, she's a queen on her own terms. She's got her khalasar, she's got people who are loyal to and serving her, and she's got her dragons.