Awake: Sliding Doors, Tragic Edition

• Please log in to reply

1037 replies to this topic

Princess Aldrea

Princess Aldrea

Stalker

Posted Apr 9, 2012 @ 6:00 PM

I liked that they broke from too heavily implying Rex is really dead with all those Michael-related cases there and reintroduced doubt with the schizophrenic case in the dead son reality.

quietquilts

quietquilts

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 10, 2012 @ 1:22 AM

I like Rex's girlfriend and her progressive parenting discussion. Cute.

Rex's weekly resentment and the lack of progress is beginning to wear a bit thin. And while I'm not nearly old enough to have a sixteen-year-old myself, I don't really think much of Emma's parents' apparent willingness to let her sleep over with her boyfriend.

That didn't bother me. She said they talk about everything and they trust her. I like that she's shown as having a close relationship with her parents whilst Rex is non-communicative with Michael.

I did notice they had Hannah speak to Vega on the phone. I had mentioned before that it would be easier for me to associate the partners with which world they were in if they spoke with the wife or son. Maybe now I can remember Vega is in the Alive Wife world.

I'm enjoying this show but I am wondering why so many of you posters think only the AliveWife scenario could be real? I'm guessing that either neither are real, he is in a coma or some other odd twist would occur. Of course, I would rather have the AliveSon be real because I like the actor who plays Rex. I don't like Hannah and as someone else mentioned, she is way too chipper for someone who recently lost her son.

I have thought the Alive Wife reality was real for the fact that if this split world thing is caused by mental anguish and grief, then Michael is more likely to have done that because he lost his child and he can't accept it. I'm torn between the worlds. I like both doctors. I prefer his old partner Freeman to Vega and I'm not too fond of Michael's wife. I know people deal with grief in different ways but I rarely feel like she is dealing with losing her son. I guess if the Alive Wife world was real, I would miss his partner most of all. It's strange we haven't seen Freeman pop up in the other reality after they stopped being partners. I haven't felt any fondness for Rex either. He's a teenage boy who feels disconnected from his father and just lost his mum. So I don't expect much from him.

Princess Aldrea

Princess Aldrea

Stalker

Posted Apr 10, 2012 @ 9:25 AM

It's strange we haven't seen Freeman pop up in the other reality after they stopped being partners.

Didn't he say that they transferred him back in the first episode?

She said they talk about everything and they trust her.

Even so, it's still weird. And how progressive can they possibly be if they don't allow her to eat sugar? I mean, they can not like it personally but it strikes me as the opposite of progressive if they are that controlling of what she eats.

jenniferes

jenniferes

Fanatic

Posted Apr 10, 2012 @ 12:44 PM

That didn't bother me. She said they talk about everything and they trust her.

I guess I found it beleivable, because my kids go to a liberal school where there are parents like that. But when I personally talk about trust with my kids, it's trusting them NOT to have sex with their boyfriends at age 16. Because of that trust, I let them stay out later than other parents allow and so forth. So, while I didn't find it unbelievable, I did disagree with these imaginary parents.

I find myself going on Netflix and searching for other Jason Isaacs shows/movies to watch. I'm happy to learn there are more Case Histories coming our way (thanks, Meraket). Does anyone have any recommendations? Does this make me an obsessed fan?

Edited by jenniferes, Apr 10, 2012 @ 12:46 PM.

peeayebee

peeayebee

Stalker

Posted Apr 10, 2012 @ 3:43 PM

He was in the movie "Nine Lives," which I found very interesting. It's not a movie that's to everyone's tastes. I loved him in "Peter Pan" as Captain Hook and Mr. Darling. He was great in "Sweet November," which I watched only for him. He plays a transvestite. There's also the British miniseries "The State Within."

Oh, and have you seen him in "Harry Potter?" :D

quietquilts

quietquilts

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 11, 2012 @ 1:37 AM

Even so, it's still weird. And how progressive can they possibly be if they don't allow her to eat sugar? I mean, they can not like it personally but it strikes me as the opposite of progressive if they are that controlling of what she eats.

Yeah, I agree with you about that. It's a bit hypocritical for them to say they are progressives yet want to control her eating habits. I do like that Emma's parents trust her and she can talk to them. She has probably already had the discussion with them that she and Rex are sleeping together. I don't think it's weird. Emma's family dynamics are an interesting contrast to Rex and his parents. They didn't want him to have the motorbike so he lied to them and did it anyway. That's much more worrisome to me.

I guess I found it beleivable, because my kids go to a liberal school where there are parents like that.

I'm that way with my kids. We haven't seen the parents so I'm not sure they are endorsing the kids sleeping together, just that Emma has spoken to them and they know about it. I also know some parents who freak out about sugar consumption or other junk foods. I felt like the writer of this episode was poking fun at those types of parents. Like, it's ok to have sex but not eat sugar? Lol

Does anyone have any recommendations? Does this make me an obsessed fan?

He's a charming guy, it's easy to be taken with him. I'd seen Jason before over the years in British cinema but it wasn't until Harry Potter that I really paid attention to him. He's very open and approachable to his fans (and I don't even like his character in the books lol) One of the things I like about this show is Jason is playing a good guy. Anyway, he was in a showtime show called Brotherhood. He was in a small British film with fellow HP actor David Thewlis called Divorcing Jack.

Brinswan

Brinswan

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 11, 2012 @ 3:30 AM

I think the wife reality is the fake one. Part of it has to do with the conspiracy they showed with her reality with the chief - it seems over the top and hints that it is wrong. Also I think in general things in her reality pop up after they are introduced in the Rex world - like the Wild ring, but I may be wrong about this, if there are contradictory examples? I have other reasons for thinking the wife one is fake but I think these are the main ones.

Princess Aldrea

Princess Aldrea

Stalker

Posted Apr 11, 2012 @ 8:30 AM

We haven't seen the parents so I'm not sure they are endorsing the kids sleeping together,

Do you mean sleeping in the same bed or having sex? Because they never actually said that they were having sex and I'm having difficulty believing that 1) her parents would approve at sixteen and they said they trusted her which to me implies trusted not to have sex and 2) that they would do that with Michael in the house no matter how oblivious he cna be.

Rickster

Rickster

Fanatic

Posted Apr 11, 2012 @ 8:47 AM

I find myself going on Netflix and searching for other Jason Isaacs shows/movies to watch. I'm happy to learn there are more Case Histories coming our way (thanks, Meraket). Does anyone have any recommendations?

I definitely second the recommendation for Brotherhood, a series that sadly ran only two seasons on Showtime. A really great little show with a number of nice performances, including Isaacs. It's about the intertwining of politics, family and the Irish mob in Providence. Isaacs is one of the two central characters. Should be on Netflix.

Do you mean sleeping in the same bed or having sex? Because they never actually said that they were having sex and I'm having difficulty believing that 1) her parents would approve at sixteen and they said they trusted her which to me implies trusted not to have sex and 2) that they would do that with Michael in the house no matter how oblivious he cna be.

You're right, but the fact she was having breakfast in his bedroom and he was walking around with his shirt unbuttoned was a pretty clear indication to me of what they had been doing that night. It didn't look like she was sleeping on the living room couch. Would she really be chastely sleeping with him in his bed? I think the show was just being a bit coy about it.

Edited by Rickster, Apr 11, 2012 @ 8:52 AM.

neplusultra

neplusultra

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 11, 2012 @ 8:54 AM

I also know some parents who freak out about sugar consumption or other junk foods. I felt like the writer of this episode was poking fun at those types of parents. Like, it's ok to have sex but not eat sugar? Lol

Yup, I do think they were gently poking fun at those types of parents for sure. I say "gently" because I was not offended even though I am one of those parents (and I know a bunch of others just like me) in both respects: no sugar or processed food for my kids (except on birthdays or something like that), but a very liberal attitude toward sexuality. So yes, Princess Aldrea, we do exist--it is not an unrealistic portrayal at all, especially in California where the show is set, and where the writers presumably live. :)

ETA: I think "trusted" there means that her parents trust her to have safe sex, to be in an emotionally healthy relationship, etc. My parents trusted me to have sex at age sixteen, and I will trust my kids then or even a little younger.

ETA2: It should also be noted that even in California, parents that are this progressive are still a minority. That's pretty well indicated by the way Rex reacted to what his girlfriend said (by freaking out and finding it hard to wrap his mind around it, kind of like Princess Aldrea's reaction). In some areas of the Midwest or Deep South, especially if not in a big city or a college town, progressive parenting of this kind is probably unheard of. It's probably most common in Portland, Oregon, the mecca of progressive parenthood.

Edited by neplusultra, Apr 11, 2012 @ 9:02 AM.

jenniferes

jenniferes

Fanatic

Posted Apr 11, 2012 @ 11:04 AM

Thanks for all the recommendations, folks. I have a much longer queue over at Netflix now! :-)

Princess Aldrea

Princess Aldrea

Stalker

Posted Apr 11, 2012 @ 11:47 AM

no sugar or processed food for my kids (except on birthdays or something like that), but a very liberal attitude toward sexuality.

It just doesn't seem very consistent. Sex can have far more drastic life-altering consequences (a baby or an STD) than eating sugar and trusting kids to have sex and risk those before letting them choose what they want to eat...it just doesn't logically follow for me.

Betsyb

Betsyb

Fanatic

Posted Apr 11, 2012 @ 3:27 PM

It just doesn't seem very consistent. Sex can have far more drastic life-altering consequences (a baby or an STD) than eating sugar and trusting kids to have sex and risk those before letting them choose what they want to eat...it just doesn't logically follow for me.

I think many would say that that is why you teach your kids to have safe sex because you probably aren't going to stop them from having sex anyway. I didn't know very many people in high school who weren't sexually active and I didn't know very many people who didn't eat sugar. Around sixteen what your parents think really doesn't matter that much in either situation.

notwisconsin

notwisconsin

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 11, 2012 @ 6:50 PM

I'm glad the penguin was in both realities. I hope that it remains for the rest of the series.

neplusultra

neplusultra

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 11, 2012 @ 9:13 PM

Good points, Betsyb. I think Rex's girlfriend's parents would probably point too at articles like this from the New York Times that makes the case that sugar is in fact toxic.

And although I do think as I say that they were gently poking fun at the progressive parents for being strict about sugar but tolerant of their daughter's sexuality, I also think they were showing her to be a mature, well-adjusted, and poised young woman who had a better attitude than Rex in a lot of ways and was a good influence on him in connecting better with his dad. So on the whole I don't think, despite the mild teasing, that they were condemning her progressive parents at all. And I really liked that, because you don't see that on TV very often and it's nice to see a non-distorted version of your values portrayed.

Edited by neplusultra, Apr 11, 2012 @ 9:14 PM.

shapeshifter

shapeshifter

Fanatic

Posted Apr 11, 2012 @ 11:27 PM

If it turns out the SonAlive reality is a dream, then the no-sugar/free-love belief system would just be something the dreamer is ruminating about.

About the penguins: Did I miss something, or did they at least imply what their significance was? I'm guessing they were a hallucination, which means the ketamine was real...which was the WifeAlive world, right? But did the penguins represent something from his psyche? Of course, it's possible he is drugged and both are dead like they referred to in that other episode. Or has it been established that they've retconned that bit?

ETA: maybe penguin=suit=FBI

Edited by shapeshifter, Apr 11, 2012 @ 11:50 PM.

quietquilts

quietquilts

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 12, 2012 @ 1:36 AM

That scene was pretty vague as to whether they had been intimate or not. My impression was that they had sex. Still, a girl telling her parents that she was sleeping over at her boyfriend's house would warrant a discussion on sleeping arrangements, being safe, etc. If it was just an innocent sleep-over, I think they would have spoken to Michael to make sure he was ok with it.

I don't know if the parents would approve of sex either. It could be that they know sex is on the horizon and want Emma to be honest with them when it occurs. It's hard to know since we haven't met them. I remember when I was that age twenty-some years ago, kids were having sex. My eldest is 22 and most of her friends in high school were sneaking around without the parents knowledge. Emma is being open with her parents and not lying to them so they know what is going on, unlike Rex's relationship with Michael.

I think "trusted" there means that her parents trust her to have safe sex, to be in an emotionally healthy relationship, etc. My parents trusted me to have sex at age sixteen, and I will trust my kids then or even a little younger.

Yes, I agree. Parent(s) can teach their kid to be safe and be with someone who respects and treats them well. Then at some point, they have to trust the kid to act accordingly. That's the impression I had from Emma's description of her parents. They obviously have a close, open relationship. I like that Emma has a positive opinion about it and feels comfortable talking to them. I rarely see that depicted on tv in a positive light, so I enjoyed it.

About the penguins: Did I miss something, or did they at least imply what their significance was? I'm guessing they were a hallucination, which means the ketamine was real...which was the WifeAlive world, right? But did the penguins represent something from his psyche?

Near the end of the episode, Michael was looking at a child's book about penguins. Rex said that Michael and Hannah used to read that to him before bed when he was a young boy. I think the ketamine brought that memory back to the front of Michael's mind and he hallucinated the penguin.

Collinwood

Collinwood

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 12, 2012 @ 2:09 AM

The name of the children's book and the name of the episode is That's Not My Penguin. The book is part of the Touchy Feely series.

Sauvage

Sauvage

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 12, 2012 @ 7:50 AM

jenniferes, The State Within is a very engaging thriller, if you like that sort of thing (I do), though violent (I'll tolerate that for a good story, to a point). Isaacs plays the British ambassador in Washington so he uses what I'd guess is his normal speaking voice. As is common in British thrillers, many of the Americans come off as coarse and awful, but there are some surprises.

If it turns out the SonAlive reality is a dream, then the no-sugar/free-love belief system would just be something the dreamer is ruminating about.

Yeah, that seemed sort of surreal--not so much the parents (we parents come in all flavors) but that the kids would spend the night together, hoping Michael wouldn't notice, and that he actually wouldn't notice.

I like the puzzle and have gotten over the fear that the solution will be as illogical as that in Passion of Mind (the Demi Moore film elle mentioned early in this thread).

Starchild

Starchild

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 12, 2012 @ 10:13 PM

I'm confused. Was Britten wearing a green rubber band in Wife!Alive world and vice versa? The colour schemes seemed to be switched around too. Or did I imagine that?

benteen

benteen

Stalker

Posted Apr 12, 2012 @ 10:26 PM

I really enjoyed the cases once again. I'm not crazy about the conspiracy with Agent Hook Nose.

fauntleroy

fauntleroy

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 12, 2012 @ 10:49 PM

I really enjoyed the cases once again. I'm not crazy about the conspiracy with Agent Hook Nose.

Me too, and me neither! I don't know if the jig is up, reality-wise--if they keep showing these third-person POV conspiracy scenes in the wifeAlive (red) state, then having that state be a dream is less and less plausible.

The pentimento was clever--the tiger looked just a bit off, the devil tattoo looked authentic (and Japanese).

Cardie

Cardie

Fanatic

Posted Apr 12, 2012 @ 11:07 PM

I was hoping that the tattoo was still a devil and that Britten had seen it as a tiger because he had already encountered the tiger parking decal in green world. He seems to be cracking up in red world in any event, either because it's a dream or just because he's cracking up.

They are simply not playing fair if one world is real and the other not. I can buy twoo delusions or two realities but not one of each. I wish the writers had just shut up and let us enjoy ambiguity--although I'm suspecting they may have been lying to misdirect.

shapeshifter

shapeshifter

Fanatic

Posted Apr 12, 2012 @ 11:26 PM

I'm confused. Was Britten wearing a green rubber band in Wife!Alive world and vice versa? The colour schemes seemed to be switched around too. Or did I imagine that?

You 'n' me both, Starchild. Since the beginning everyone's been saying it's easy to keep them straight, but not for me. I work all day (or sometimes night). TV is not something I work at.
Even so, I like this show a lot more than others that have been renewed.

The pentimento was clever

Well. The sandwich joke was.

fauntleroy

fauntleroy

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 13, 2012 @ 7:50 AM

I thought the penguin might have been a reference to the Linux servers that store and manage Britten's two conscious states.

Rickster

Rickster

Fanatic

Posted Apr 13, 2012 @ 8:42 AM

You 'n' me both, Starchild. Since the beginning everyone's been saying it's easy to keep them straight, but not for me.

I agree, last night was a tough one to keep straight. I don't think they were switching bands, but they showed them more than normal I bet in an attempt to keep the viewers clued in.

I was hoping that the tattoo was still a devil and that Britten had seen it as a tiger because he had already encountered the tiger parking decal in green world

Me too. I think this would have been more consistent with last week's episode.

They are simply not playing fair if one world is real and the other not. I can buy twoo delusions or two realities but not one of each.

I don't have a problem with their approach. If there are two delusions, we end up in Life on Mars or Jacobs Ladder territory, which has been done before. If there are two realities, then we're in Fringe-ish scifi territory. I like what they're doing, but I think they could be a bit less literal in the way the clues work across the two storylines.

Trying not to be gross and not getting into details, but last night, I found it a little hard to believe that the physical evidence of long term abuse could be so similar to the physical evidence of an assault minutes before the girl died that the police could confuse the two.

these1000hills

these1000hills

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 13, 2012 @ 10:36 AM

Lovin the last 2 episodes! Can't get enough of this show now. I think there is a little bit of reality in each world. There's obviously a group of people hoping a certain memory stays forgotten. I'm really surprised he does not look up the 2 shrinks in their alternate worlds!
Michelle

marieelise0928

marieelise0928

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 13, 2012 @ 11:43 AM

Agreed with these1000hills -- last two episodes have been really great.

However -- given the pengins and the talking taco guy, is anyone else starting to feel like they're watching Wonderfalls: The Serious Edition???

Cardie

Cardie

Fanatic

Posted Apr 13, 2012 @ 11:53 AM

I don't have a problem with their approach

I think you misunderstood my point. I have no problem with one of the worlds being real and one being a delusion. But the way they've presented certain clues, it seems impossible to make that premise work. I guess one could say that the tiger decal was in his dream because he was concocting a case in which the young woman visited a college known to Britten from reality that happened to have a tiger mascot. Then, in reality, he has seen a tiger tattoo and his subconscious thinks there's something about it he should have paid more attention to. When he dreams again, the closed case reopens because he focuses on that trip to the college. This in turn keeps tigers in his head so that he can figure out the tiger is an altered devil. But that's pretty torturous logic.

There have been previous episodes in which only the red world could be real by the logic of chronology. Lately they've been stepping up challenges to that conclusion. If they are too good at undermining the sense of reality of both worlds, then we'll feel cheated if one does turn out to be real.

Now, Michael is clearly on the way to a nervous breakdown, so maybe we can retcon it to him seeing things that aren't really there in both worlds, even without being high on ketamine.

Princess Aldrea

Princess Aldrea

Stalker

Posted Apr 13, 2012 @ 11:54 AM

I'm really surprised he does not look up the 2 shrinks in their alternate worlds!

He really does not want to do anything that would force him to admit which reality is real and cost him his wife or son.