10-Year Rewatch: TAR5: The Season that Saved the Show

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

25 replies to this topic

Arlo Rowan

Arlo Rowan

Video Archivist

Posted May 22, 2011 @ 4:06 AM

It really was, wasn't it?

After not starting it last week, I thought I'd get a headstart on starting it this week so I could use the title was hoping to use. (And I lay claim to TAR6 and TAR7's titles, as well. I have some good ones in mind.)

So for starters, I'd like to bring up the end of TheAustralian's post from TAR4's Rewatch thread:

I do remember how the black and white fade out from the final mat seemed at the time to signal the death throes of the show - where only something special seemed to be needed to save things...

And here we are. TAR5 really, really needed to be extra special after TAR's whole year off in order to save the show from eminent cancellation. I mean, let's face it. Three of the first four seasons had ended with the same, expected, buff alpha-male team victory, one of the many things that was killing it.

But this season already got off to a good start by, for once, NOT casting an alpha-male team. (They did still cast four alpha-couples, but this was before casting so many couples got so bad, so many people could let it slide.) We instead got eleven teams who all had some pretty decent stories, even the early-ousted ones.

While they only lasted for one leg, Dennis & Erika had a pretty good "nice guys finish last" storyline. We didn't see too much of them on their first and only leg, but they seemed nice and inoffensive enough. Plus, they're one of few teams with a unique relationship tag. Don't think we'll ever see "Once Engaged" ever again. Still, sometimes I wonder how things might've been different had Dennis not given up their cab to Colin & Christie the way he did. . . .

Alison & Donny, the original Team Big Brother, were just so unpleasant as people, and to some (though honestly, not to me), it was awful to see their first-leg win, even though, admittedly, they earned it since they at least knew how to read their clue at the blue and white hotel, unlike Chip & Kim and Kami & Karli, both teams who arrived at that first Pit Stop before them. Still, their second-leg self-destruction, courtesy of mainly Donny's dumb idea to do Perro over Tango before switching way late in the game, was pretty good TV. Especially since it brought about Alison's so-hilarious-it-was-wrong "Mine keep having sex!"

Jim & Marsha went from clear underdogs due to Jim busting his knee open right at the starting line and very nearly getting eliminated on leg one to a nice recovery on leg two to getting booted due to bad flight arrangements on leg three. I honestly would've liked to have seen them go farther than they actually did. Especially since their elimination came at the expense of seeing fucking Marshall & Lance stick around. Also, I'd have liked to have seen a feud between them and Linda & Karen over the currency problem they experienced.

Bob & Joyce were just so cute. I liked seeing the first older couple who was actually dating rather than married. I liked their "second chance at love" storyline, too. Too bad that bad flight arrangements killed them in Russia. After three pretty solid finishes on the first three legs, they actually looked like they could keep up with all the younger teams pretty well. They still might not have made the F3 had the bad flight not killed them, but they might've had at least a good shot at it.

Marshall & Lance . . . ugh. Horrible. Annoying. And not even in an entertaining way. From the "useless foreigners" line in Uruguay to the drive-by "BITCH!" comment to Mirna (she was a bitch, but that's another story, and the bad letter they'd get from them six seasons later more or less hinted that they never mended fences), I just wanted them off my screen. The first middle-aged guy team who were actually "bad" guys, for once after Kevin & Drew, Ken & Gerard, and Jon & Al had all been fairly likable. Their ending because they basically quit was a joy to see.

Charla & Mirna . . . well, to say they were polarizing was the understatement to end all understatements! Some loved them, some hated them. Personally, I enjoyed them. Sure, they (especially Mirna) had entitlement issues, but they had loads of entertaining moments, such as Mirna's Phil love (creepy sometimes, but it showed Mirna's love of the show), Mirna actually wanting to stay for another round of roulette at the first Detour, but then bolting immediately once Charla said the Pit Stop was coming up next, Charla being waist-deep in the foam at the foam club while everyone else had been either ankle-deep or knee-deep, Mirna thinking she'd have to stick her hand in a cow's ass, Charla's "I got electrocuted!", Charla killing the eating tasks, and basically nearly every time they worked the airports as well as they did. Mirna was especially great at that. Probably the best there's ever been! I fully believe they could've made the F3, or at least knocked Linda & Karen out of the F4, if not for that horrible flight delay en route to Tanzania.

Kami & Karli were the requisite "mean girl" team of the season, but even for the "mean girl" team, they were pretty tame compared to quite a few of the ones that'd follow in the later seasons. (Debbie & Bianca, Danielle & Dani, TAR10 Dustin & Kandice, which I'm more than sure was just an edit, and Shana & Jennifer, anyone?) Plus, their constant moments of cluelessness were so damn hilarious. Missing the clue box at the pier several times, one of those times when they walked right by it a good few times, was the first of many! Swimming to the third Pit Stop was great, too, especially when Phil basically told them it wasn't necessary. I don't know. I'm actually one of few who liked them and really didn't think they were bad people like many here thought they were at the time the season was airing. And despite their rivalry with Chip & Kim, I liked that they were genuinely happy for them when they won.

Linda & Karen set a fantastic example to middle-aged mothers. It was absolutely amazing seeing how far they got. Almost everyone was expecting them out in the first three to four legs, and instead, they kept right on trucking, all the way to the F4! So many odds against them, and yet, they managed to beat out so many teams who, on paper, should've beaten them instead. I think Linda was probably the stronger member, but Karen held her own, too. If only Linda had done that ascender, though.

And now, we get to the not-so-good part of this.

Brandon & Nicole . . . well, I never personally disliked them for the early half of the race. But when the latter half cropped up, both started getting really annoying. Especially with all of Brandon's God mentions and claims that He'd help them win, plus Nicole's whining (which reached its climax in Calgary with her epically awful bike meltdown). Miss Alli's recap summed it up -- she's probably not a bad person, but after that meltdown, being pleased with a win by them (her, in particular), was pretty much not an option. Also, Brandon did eleven Roadblocks to Nicole's one. That was some lazy racing on her part.

Colin & Christie . . . well, there's no denying what an effective team they were to win six legs. Colin in particular can lay claim to the title of one of the best individual racers ever. But I'll be honest in saying I didn't particularly like them all that much. In fact, I hated them for their bickering, Colin's assholishness, and Christie's uselessness. (One Roadblock she did, and she blew it but good.) They certainly had the memorably "My ox is BROKEN!" meltdown, but really, I'm probably one of few who was upset that the Yield and their Philippines meltdown didn't kill them at the F4. If it had, it might've brought us a way more interesting F3 in that there'd have truly no telling which way it would've gone.

And finally, Chip & Kim. Now, these were some class acts. (Well, on the race. Their Battle of the Network Reality Stars appearance told a different story.) I think this was probably the first season that told a true underdog story. Well, second, after Teri & Ian's two seasons prior. They started out as easy cannon fodder, yet actually learned from their early mistakes, rose up to win three legs, and then won their fourth and final leg on the one that counted. Chip had some great one-liners, and Kim was a nice, calm center to balance him out. I just wish she'd have done more Roadblocks. I mean, there were more than enough that would've been easy for her to do. Still, their victory was probably the first one that actually got me close to tearing up. (The first one I actually did tear up for would come two seasons ago.)

Aside from the casting, there were other good things. The editing returned to three-dimensional portrayals of teams again after TAR4 failed miserably at it. We got to see enough of everybody again (though a bit more of Bob & Joyce might've been a bit better), which was good.

The route was also very good. We had several new countries, from Uruguay to Argentina to Russia to Egypt to Tanzania to the UAE to New Zealand to the Philippines . . . it was a fantastic route! (And was Canada new, too? I forget.) Oh, and the first (and, as of now, only) season to visit all six habitable continents!

So . . . yeah. I'm gonna say it. This season definitely did save the show. In fact, it ushered in the three seasons known as TAR's "Golden Age," and for that, I'd give it a 10/10. But what about all of you?

Discuss.

The Australian

The Australian

Couch Potato

Posted May 22, 2011 @ 9:42 AM

This season had a lot to accomplish in order to keep the TAR franchise going - and the fact it was as excellent as it was is a testament to everyone involved.

One of things TAR5 does most effectively is get back to the global adventure theme. There's a magnificent spread of locations here, one of the very best in the show's history, helped greatly by their wonderful utilisation. It's the best use of New Zealand we've seen in TAR, and the fact the race has never returned to Egypt gives the two legs there a very unique quality (and how can you not love a pitstop in the shadow of The Sphinx?!?). Even the last-minute Dubai leg has some good points.

The casting is also superb. As Arlo Rowan notes, the show returned to detailed portrayals of the teams and almost everyone had a story to tell at some point. Early boots such as Jim & Marsha and Bob & Joyce still get their little moments to shine. Many people shuddered at the thought of Donny & Alison going far, so their early exit was an enjoyable surprise (though I always quite liked Alison because at least she had her head screwed on, unlike dim Donny).

I never minded Kami & Karli either. They were wonderfully dim bulbs, whose endless bits of confusion proved amusing rather than grating. Chip & Kim were likeable and popular winners who had enough personality to overcome a "nice guys do finish first" meme that got pushed a little too hard. And Linda & Karen were the loveable underdogs who just kept on going and almost made it to the end but for an ill-advised Roadblock involving that ascender device.

But the secret of this season breaking out lies with just three people - Charla, Mirna and Colin, all of whom I love and remain in my top 10 racers of all time. Charla's plucky determination was as inspiring as Mirna's crazy approach to the race was compelling; love or loathe her, you had to keep watching to see what lunatic quote or action she would unleash next. And Colin was a brilliant racer, love or loathe him - he possessed a lethal combination of shrewd brains and physical brawn rarely matched in TAR history, and for me a lot of his angry streak was caused by Christie's needless nagging at moments of stress (lest we forget that she had just as much a temper as he did).

Are there flaws? Well, yes. Marshall & Lance were truly dreadful to watch as they grinched their way around the world and ultimately quit when things got too "hard". The introduction of the Yield and mugging at non-elimination points was a retrograde step that did little to improve the game's dynamics - although to be fair the Yield did achieve Chip & Kim's objective of throwing Colin & Christie off-balance for the final part of the race. I was also annoyed that the big Mirna vs. Colin story arc got abruptly cut off without a proper resolution.

I was positively fuming when Brandon & Nicole were saved by the NEL in India after welshing on the Fast Forward, all down to pure vanity. Given that their prattle about faith reached greater heights afterwards only added to the problem.

And at the heart of this season lies the inescapable reality that each female member of the Final 3 left far too much up to the male half. While this sort of thing had happened before, it became blatant and irritating here. Nicole in particular was absolutely useless (the priceless shot of her trailing behind Brandon in Tanzania holding only a clipboard and a bottle of water comes to mind), but Christie and Kim can't escape blame either despite doing a little more to help their cause.

On balance, the positives still far outweigh the negatives, and this remains one of the best and most enjoyable seasons. 8.5/10.

Edited by The Australian, May 22, 2011 @ 9:44 AM.

FatLynn

FatLynn

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 22, 2011 @ 4:48 PM

This is one of the best finales of all time. Watching Colin and Christie get their just desserts because they couldn't switch flights, after they'd planned out every last detail, was just too funny to watch.

Vyk

Vyk

Couch Potato

Posted May 23, 2011 @ 8:41 AM

Definitely in my personal top five seasons of all time (for me, it's third, in front of seasons twelve and seven and behind seasons seventeen and eighteen), and would probably be my most favorite season ever if Linda & Karen hadn't fallen out at the F4.

The new NEL "mugging" penalty was kind of a downer, but at least it was fairly mean to teams.

The casting, I agree, was superb. And yes, Marshall & Lance and probably Brandon & Nicole were the only two real clunkers. The editing was much better, and the suspense was existent in practically every episode.

Yeah, the female halves of each of the F3 teams were lame for pawning the Roadblocks off on their male halves, but if anything good came out of this, it was the Roadblock rule that came along the next season, allegedly because of Kim, Christie, and Nicole.

Chip & Kim were probably my favorite winners ever for a long time. I don't think they were EVER unseated until Nat & Kat came along twelve seasons later. (And those two now fight it out with Kisha & Jen, but that's another story.)

So . . . yeah. Definitely one of my favorite seasons, and one I might sit down and watch again through in its entirety someday, since I did manage to download the entire thing.

The Australian
I was positively fuming when Brandon & Nicole were saved by the NEL in India after welshing on the Fast Forward, all down to pure vanity.

I give them a very slight pass on that. They were (and probably still are) models at the time, and it'd probably have ruined their chances for being hired in the future. While Brandon's hair could've grown back quickly, there was no guarantee Nicole's would've.

Edited by Vyk, May 26, 2011 @ 8:15 AM.

Fukui San

Fukui San

Fanatic

Posted May 23, 2011 @ 8:50 AM

It's really a shame that Colin & Christie or Chip & Kim never made another appearance with the various All Star or Unfinished Business seasons. It'd be interesting to see them with the roadblock equality rule in place, and to see if Colin has matured to go along with his almost maniacal competitiveness. Bowling Moms would have been great returnees too.

I was also annoyed that the big Mirna vs. Colin story arc got abruptly cut off without a proper resolution.

Mirna getting screwed by her "better" flight getting delayed was plenty of resolution for me. She really is someone who is fun to hate. Colin haters may feel the same way about him.

Kami & Karli were the requisite "mean girl" team of the season, but even for the "mean girl" team, they were pretty tame compared to quite a few of the ones that'd follow in the later seasons. (Debbie & Bianca, Danielle & Dani, TAR10 Dustin & Kandice, which I'm more than sure was just an edit, and Shana & Jennifer, anyone?)

We're they mean? I always think of them as supremely incompetent. Swimming to the pit stop when they could have walked, getting stumped by puzzles, etc. I don't remember any particular rivalries they had. I don't really view the other teams cited as mean girls. Debbie and Bianca were in over their heads, Danielle & Dani were vacuous, Dustin & Kandice were pretty damn awesome, and Shana & Jennifer were completely forgettable. Or at least I've completely forgotten them. If I were to think of latter era mean girl teams, I'd think of the divorcees who accused Starr of hiding their sports bras, and Brandy & Carol who fought with Brent & Caite.

This was also the season in which the gross food challenges got out of hand, wasn't it? Caviar, ostrich egg, chocolates. Bleah.

Vyk

Vyk

Couch Potato

Posted May 23, 2011 @ 4:22 PM

Fukui San
We're they mean? I always think of them as supremely incompetent. Swimming to the pit stop when they could have walked, getting stumped by puzzles, etc. I don't remember any particular rivalries they had.

From what I can remember, they were on Chip & Kim's asses repeatedly after Chip did the taxi-holding maneuver on leg two and said bitchy things about them (him, in particular), and they weren't very nice or patient with locals.

As for the others, I actually agree with those, too. Debbie & Bianca were bitchy regarding Rob & Amber, Danielle & Dani made the horrible "hick" comments about Lake & Michelle when they Yielded them, Dustin & Kandice pretty much only got edited badly (but there was the matter of calling Lyn & Karlyn "the sistahs"), and Shana & Jennifer had ugly American moments to spare. So yeah, I'd say they were all pretty mean.

Fukui San
This was also the season in which the gross food challenges got out of hand, wasn't it? Caviar, ostrich egg, chocolates. Bleah.

I never minded those. It was actually interesting to see how well the teams handled those.

graytex

graytex

Fanatic

Posted May 23, 2011 @ 8:37 PM

TAR5 was my first season to see in its first airing. It aired in the summer, which allowed people who had nothing better to watch to discover it. I was on a family vacation, sitting in our room flipping channels. Suddenly, we ran across a dwarf screaming that she had been electrocuted. It was an arresting moment and we've never stopped watching since!

I'm not 100% sure, but I believe the TAR5 route is still the longest ever. It was an amazing route. Uruguay, Russia, Egypt, Kenya, UAE, India, the Philippines, etc. Then it ended in Dallas, my hometown. Just a great endurance test.

I liked Dennis & Erika but I can't imagine how much more dull the race would have been if the first out had been Colin & Christie. After Dennis & Erika gave up the cab, there was almost no chance to catch up. I think it would have been a big blow if Colin & Christie had been out first.

We also had 3 great female/female teams that made it to the final 6. And what a great mix they were: Loveable moms, clueless sisters, and indescribable cousins. I agree with all the comments about Kami/Karli. I found them to be comedy gold. I remember their attempts at flirting...hilarious. And the Bowling Moms seemed like they were going to be boring cannon fodder and ended up being a beloved team.

My feelings about the final 3 has completely changed. I so wanted Colin & Christie to lose and now, I wish they had won. I liked Brandon & Nicole (he went to my Alma Mater) but now I find them insufferable. I liked Chip & Kim quite a bit, but my love has faded a bit over the years (probably because Chip let it be known that he was mad not to be invited back to All-Stars). I found Colin to be endlessly fascinating. He might be one of the most intense racers of all time and I would pit him against any other racer. Yes, his epic meltdown in Africa that almost got him arrested was very ugly. But I just couldn't stop watching him.

The finale wasn't that exciting but there was some brilliant play, just not the kind that is exciting on TV. Kim had the bright idea to check for another flight which put them in the early lead. Colin had the smart idea of having a driver waiting for them at the airport (who we later found out had a flat that may have been the difference in the race). Not exciting television but great game play.

This was definitely a character driven season. I find it interesting that at the recent 10 year reunion in Miami, TAR5 had fewer racers show up than any other season. Colin & Christie were the only ones that showed up, which makes me think the racers didn't enjoy the season as much as I did watching it.

Vyk

Vyk

Couch Potato

Posted May 23, 2011 @ 11:58 PM

graytex
After Dennis & Erika gave up the cab, there was almost no chance to catch up.

They actually very nearly caught up with Jim & Marsha, didn't they? They caught up to them at the Zips Detour, yet failed to ultimately pass them for one reason or another.

NotPatrick

NotPatrick

Fanatic

Posted May 24, 2011 @ 3:37 PM

I think one of the things that makes Series 5 so fondly remembered is the fact that it feels very scripted, in terms of who gets eliminated when - Dennis & Erika are the nice guys who finish dead last, Allison & Donny are the unpopular stuntcasting who scared people with Leg 1 competence, then exploded spectacularly (why stop at the bus Donny, why not just walk? That's cheapest of all!), Jim & Marsha overcome their gimpiness just enough to feel like underdogs who overcame the odds, Bob & Marsha put in a decent showing, the two most obnoxious (/and amazing in the case of Mirna) early "villain" teams quit/lose halfway through, Kami & Karli get cut when their survival is just on the verge of being completely unbelievable, and the Bowling Moms lost heartbreakingly at the last, but they're not the last "hero" team in the race, so there's still hope. Then the goodies win. It's VERY much like a movie scripted TAR (as is the course I'd say - lots of extremes, lots of iconic locations, lots of banner-name countries)

In that l'd say actually that I think it's one, in not the only, season where the final two is a "hero" vs "villain" match-up where the heroes end up winning. I know some people love Colin & Christie for their competitive chutzpah (I like them fine), but the editing is very clear-cut in terms of who we're supposed to root for. From an editing point of view I guess TAR 9 is the same, but screw that, Hippies are evil. TAR 12, maybe, but Nate & Jenn are clearly the most prominent "black hat" team of the series. I could argue for 18, but I don't think Jenkisha are visible enough, or the Globetrotters "villainous" enough.

I think the biggest injustice of the season is that Brandon & Nicole are usually all but written off as a generic dating couple or just a God gimmick. They have so many memorable moments - Nicole going full-Exorcist after consuming the caviar, the infamous Nuns-In-The-Airport moment, Nicole referring to mosques as "those church things they have everywhere, like Starbucks", Brandon reading out "pump up a zorb" like it was a semi-obscene sexual act, Nicole getting molested in 95% of all countries visited, Brandon's father-son pseudo-alliance with Chip where Chip would give him fatherly advice and they both called one another by homoerotic nicknames, Nicole's compelling descent from cheerful, nice, if slightly useless girlfriend to money-grabbing actively inept psycho-hosebeast by the finale, Brandon's whole hair situation. They're not necessarily a TAR5 stand-out, because the cast is very strong, but they're more interesting and entertaining than the vast majority of dating couples that make the final (certainly more so than any from the next couple of seasons). Once the Bowling Moms were gone, I found myself oddly rooting for them, although really any of the top 4 would have made for satisfying winners IMO.

Mirna I think is up there with the most quotable racers ever, and not one makes a lick of sense. "I'M GOING TO DIE FROM THIS BEEF" is in my daily lexicon, as is "criminal" as an all-purpose insult.

Vyk

Vyk

Couch Potato

Posted May 24, 2011 @ 4:29 PM

NotPatrick
Bob & Marsha

Who?

SimonHumboldt

SimonHumboldt

Couch Potato

Posted May 24, 2011 @ 7:50 PM

Great route and locations, and outstanding cast with some of the greatest characters the show has ever seen. This season just had it all. Colin remains the BEST individual Racer ever in my opinion. The Pit Stop at the Sphinx was just breathtaking. Absolutely phenomenal season. 10/10.

TheGrimRecapper

TheGrimRecapper

Couch Potato

Posted May 25, 2011 @ 1:51 AM

The route was also very good. We had several new countries, from Uruguay to Argentina to Russia to Egypt to Tanzania to the UAE to New Zealand to the Philippines . . . it was a fantastic route! (And was Canada new, too? I forget.) Oh, and the first (and, as of now, only) season to visit all six habitable continents!

Canada was new, New Zealand wasn't -- it appeared in TAR2.

I'm one of the very few people who actively disliked this season -- yes, the countries were a good mix, but the combination of THREE of the final six legs having either no Detour (El Nido) or no Road Block (Dubai, Calgary/Dallas) shown and the fact that the remaining challenges were for the most part dull and repetitive wasn't good. And I agree with the poster above who pointed out that it didn't seem like many of them were having fun -- between the three ladies in the final, Brandon, the Twinkies, the Pizza Bros, Alishnoz and Donny, Dennis, and even kind of Jim/Marsha and Bob, there was a serious lack of enjoyment in the season, and I'm not sure the giddy enthusiasm of Chip and Mirna can make up for that.

NotPatrick

NotPatrick

Fanatic

Posted May 25, 2011 @ 3:25 AM

Who?

My bad - Bob & Joyce.

(Marsha really is a total old ladies name...)

fashionista79

fashionista79

Stalker

Posted May 29, 2011 @ 7:18 PM

I think this season had the best sound bite of all--"My ox is broken!" I laughed and laughed and laughed. But I was laughing at Colin because I couldn't stand him. I didn't think that Christie was any prize either.

Vyk

Vyk

Couch Potato

Posted May 29, 2011 @ 8:21 PM

I always wondered where Colin's "Colon" nickname came from. I knew where Christie's "Chrasstie" moniker came from, but not Colin's.

TheGrimRecapper

TheGrimRecapper

Couch Potato

Posted May 30, 2011 @ 8:31 PM

Because the colon is the body part that goes into the ass. (From an internal perspective, I mean.)

clack

clack

Fanatic

Posted May 31, 2011 @ 10:33 PM

Best season : had the best individual racer of all (Colin), and had the 3 most vividly memorable characters of any season (Colin, Mirna, and Charla).

Didn't like the Chip/Kim win though -- I hate to see mediocrity triumph over excellence, though I acknowledge that that is the way of the world. TAR isn't an athletic event, it's a game wherein luck is at least as important as skill, so fair enough.

sardonic

sardonic

Fanatic

Posted May 31, 2011 @ 11:15 PM

Season 5, to me, created TAR 2.0 (more stuntcasting, the cut in FFs, decrease in the amount of self-navigation) but is none the worse for it (unlike the next four seasons to follow.) The racecourse is probably the best they've ever done. Egypt, Russia, New Zealand, and Argentina are all highly memorable locales to me. The casting is definitely memorable, probably the most memorable cast outside of season 1 and perhaps season 3. The storyarcs were brilliant: we had some truly competitive F/F teams that exceeded expectations, we had the spectacular arc of Colin and Christie's rise to dominance, hubris, and tragic failure at the end, and an emotionally satisfying ending with endearing underdogs Chip and Kim taking home the million in a major upset.

Charla and Mirna were breakout stars (although I do feel that 6 episodes of Mirna = entertaining, 13 episodes of Mirna = insufferable.) Colin's ox-related meltdown? The heartbreaker of Linda and Karen's final roadblock? Alison's satisfying elimination? Kami and Karli swimming to the pitstop? Television gold. Among all the stars there were some casting duds (Alison added nothing, not a fan of Nicole's, Lance and Marshall I can't fathom how they even passed the physical...) but it was overall more good than bad. Perhaps not my favorite season, but definitely one of the most memorable.

Vyk

Vyk

Couch Potato

Posted May 31, 2011 @ 11:28 PM

clack
Didn't like the Chip/Kim win though -- I hate to see mediocrity triumph over excellence, though I acknowledge that that is the way of the world. TAR isn't an athletic event, it's a game wherein luck is at least as important as skill, so fair enough.

They won four legs, including the final one. Hardly mediocre.

sardonic

sardonic

Fanatic

Posted May 31, 2011 @ 11:47 PM

Chip and Kim were generally toward the front of the pack, once they got past the first few legs which were rough for them. Yes, two of the legs they were able to win were based off of eating challenges, which Chip excelled at (and were one of Colin and Christie's few weaknesses, ox notwithstanding). I think they were definitely the second strongest team that season. Truthfully, I think the Dan/Jordan, Eric/Danielle, and Jen/Kisha wins were a bit more fluke-based than theirs.

My feeling on Colin and Christie losing was sort of like seeing the Patriots lose the 2008 Super Bowl after an undefeated season: although not a huge fan of team in question, I would have appreciated the win as being a well-deserved one.... but kind of enjoyed seeing the dramatic upset instead.

Vyk

Vyk

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 1, 2011 @ 12:19 AM

sardonic
Chip and Kim were generally toward the front of the pack, once they got past the first few legs which were rough for them.

Plus, wouldn't they have won leg one if they'd seen the clue for the Detour in front of that hotel and not just blindly walked into the Chips Detour?

sardonic
My feeling on Colin and Christie losing was sort of like seeing the Patriots lose the 2008 Super Bowl after an undefeated season: although not a huge fan of team in question, I would have appreciated the win as being a well-deserved one.... but kind of enjoyed seeing the dramatic upset instead.

Echoes my feelings perfectly as to the Lakers getting swept out of this year's NBA playoffs.

WillyBCoyote

WillyBCoyote

Loyal Viewer

Posted Aug 29, 2011 @ 12:37 PM

Well Chip and Kim won two legs based on Chips ability to eat a lot of food in one sitting.

Plus the unknow rule change at the time caused by Chip's stiffing taxis for their fares.

Lantern7

Lantern7

Stalker

Posted Nov 15, 2011 @ 3:55 PM

My title for this thread: "Booby Cooper & The Broken Ox."

Yeah, I think this season saved the show. The producers had to go for broke with the casting. Two beauty queens and their good-looking boyfriends? Check. Big Brother runner-up and her boyfriend? Check. Little person and her obnoxious cousin? Check. I think the biggest coup was getting Chip & Kim. Think about it: not only did they find another grown man who was okay with being called "Chip," but he was the direct opposite of the first Chip. Black/White, straight/gay, first billing/second billing, laid back/wired tight, doughy/fit . . . it's amazing to compare and contrast those two.

I'll admit the season wasn't perfect. It would've been interesting to rerun the race with the Roadblock limits, since Kim, Christie and Nicole only did one Roadblock each. I reckon Brandon & Nicole fucked up by not getting their heads shaved, but that's only because I figure the ceremonial cutting probably gave Uchenna & Joyce the luck they needed to win TAR7. Who knew?

Crap, so much good in this season . . . including the camerawork. Remember the sight of the nuns going down the escalator, panning towards the "Godels"? Or Brandon looking through binoculars with one lens cap on, and the POV shot being adjusted for that? Honestly, I really hope against all odds that CBS puts out a proper DVD for this season, even if it means every other episode has commentary from Mirna, as she exaggerates every slight against her and Charla.

starrynight71

starrynight71

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 12, 2012 @ 5:18 PM

I was disappointed with Mirna going too early as I think she was probably better in this series than the later one. Despite that I've persevered and looked through the later episodes, and it turns out that some of these racers actually get a bit more palatable as it goes on. Colin early on seems like a caricature acting poorly for the cameras, but he improves later. The final leg has a weak ending for me. The maze isn't that gripping for the viewer and doesn't even look great. And of course the ending isn't very close either. Before that though there are plenty of great physical challenges over the last few days which made for some good spectacles. Unfortunately in some of these early classic Amazing Race series they make the contestants beg for money which I'm surprised more people don't complain about. It was a faulty idea which they eliminated later thank goodness with other methods (such as Marked for Elimination and Speed Bump).

SamB

SamB

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 26, 2012 @ 8:03 AM

I agree the maze isn't particularly good in the last episode. I remember reading that what we see is a highly edited version of the task they actually had to do. It was apparently much more complicated and involved several stages and fetching more things. Which, presumably, also didn't come across well on TV, hence being re-cut.

Jyn

Jyn

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 9, 2012 @ 5:17 PM

In that l'd say actually that I think it's one, in not the only, season where the final two is a "hero" vs "villain" match-up where the heroes end up winning. I know some people love Colin & Christie for their competitive chutzpah (I like them fine), but the editing is very clear-cut in terms of who we're supposed to root for. From an editing point of view I guess TAR 9 is the same, but screw that, Hippies are evil. TAR 12, maybe, but Nate & Jenn are clearly the most prominent "black hat" team of the series. I could argue for 18, but I don't think Jenkisha are visible enough, or the Globetrotters "villainous" enough.

Having watched TAR20, NotPatrick, I do believe we had a hero vs. villain match-up, as Rachel & Dave, even with their arguing, got a very heroic portrayal, especially toward the end of the race, and Art & J.J. (especially J.J.) were actively villainous from at least the fifth leg and on. So that would probably our second most definite one.