12-19: 2011.05.24

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

227 replies to this topic

TWoP Pembleton

TWoP Pembleton

Stalker

• Interests:Also known as Kim, one of your friendly recappers

Posted May 20, 2011 @ 8:44 PM

The anticipation builds and competition continues for the two-hour Season Finale on TUESDAY, MAY 24 (9:00-11:00 p.m., ET), as the three finalists perform their own favorite dance of the season and are ranked by the judges. In addition, each of this season's 11 couples returns to the dance floor for a special performance. All of the excitement and frenzy will lead up to the moment we've been waiting for - who among the three finalists will reign as champions of "Dancing with the Stars" and take home the coveted mirror ball trophy?

Just a request: please don't just post "Yay, winner!" or "Boo, winner!" or "That sucked!" or "That was awesome!" Remember that some people aren't able to read the thread until the next day or later, and reading page after page of content-free posts just to see what people thought is annoying. There are no prizes for being the first to post; please wait to post until you have something substantive to say. Thank you!

Bottle Rockets

Bottle Rockets

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 24, 2011 @ 10:01 PM

I feel terrible for Chelsea.

Not only for finishing in second due to popular vote of Maks dragging around Kirstie Alley all throughout the competition, but cutting her off at the end. That was horrible.

You know, maybe they would have had time for her if they didn't waste the past two hours. At least Hines won though.

With Chelsea wrongly in third because she didn't have the huge fanbase and was saddled with a partner that everyone held against her, it would've been a joke to see Kirstie win.

RL1

RL1

Fanatic

Posted May 24, 2011 @ 10:02 PM

I was right all along that Hines would win this because of his Steeler fanbase. It's bigger than Kirstie's fanbase.

msburg

msburg

Couch Potato

Posted May 24, 2011 @ 10:03 PM

Not a surprising result (Chelsea in third). This is what happens when you artificially prop someone up with 15 bonus points. I wonder if it might have been differentif Ralph had made the finals....

Koffee Kup

Koffee Kup

Couch Potato

Team Anyone BUT Mark Ballas triumphed tonight.

Chelsea can thank Summer's Eve and his antics for her loss. He wouldn't know how to support and showcase a partner if his life depended on it.

Tonight was proof that the WTA Cha Cha last week was put in place so that Disney could get their girl into the finals.

DWTS give Mark several seasons off.

rulesoftravel

rulesoftravel

Stalker

Tonight was proof that the WTA Cha Cha last week was put in place so that Disney could get their girl into the finals.

DWTS give Mark several seasons off.

Without those 15 extra points, they would probably not have enough fan votes to have made it to the finals, so I danced my ass off when they went out third.

Yay Hines and Kym... I really enjoyed their Samba.

I figured the second that the judges gave everyone the same scores, that Mark and Chelsea were gone.

Petra Nemcova is so beautiful.

Wish that Ralph and Karina had done a different dance-I would have liked to see a preview of their freestyle.

Edited by rulesoftravel, May 24, 2011 @ 10:09 PM.

katialamar

katialamar

Channel Surfer

Posted May 24, 2011 @ 10:04 PM

Thanks AMERICA!!!!! You are so wise, love the outcome. Thanks for not continuing the reign of the golden boys.

nairuti

nairuti

Couch Potato

Posted May 24, 2011 @ 10:04 PM

So happy Chelsea was in THIRD and was totally cut off! They rigged it so she would stay every last minute. They didn't even do the elimination straight away. Ugh. I hate this show.

spanana

spanana

Stalker

Posted May 24, 2011 @ 10:05 PM

So no surprises at all on the final placements. At all. Yay to Kym, because I love her! Hines seems like a sweetie and they made a good team, so I'm fine with it.

I did enjoy much of the rest of the evening because I really like many of the ousted celebs. Loved Jericho's Bruno impression and I enjoyed watching Romeo, Petra and etc. be showcased again.

I could have done without Wendy's weird footage, but I suppose it was better than watching her dance again.

I'm trying to figure out the Design a Dance. Don't get me wrong in that I'm good with any variation of pros that didn't include Mark, but why did they pick the top 4 pros? Especially if 3 were female.

Even better than Mark losing? Mark losing on his birthday. Especially since he seemed to have an awesome bitchface on after Kirstie's last dance.

Edited by spanana, May 24, 2011 @ 10:08 PM.

wingster55

wingster55

Fanatic

Posted May 24, 2011 @ 10:05 PM

A bit of a surprising result to me at least. Congrats to Hines and Kym though.

Most memorable part was Chris's Bruno impression.

MarigoldSkye

MarigoldSkye

Fanatic

Posted May 24, 2011 @ 10:06 PM

I actually wasn't bored with tonight's show like I usually tend to get with the DWTS finales.

I knew Hines would win, but would've been okay with Kirstie winning. It's not as if I harbor any illusions that this is a real dance competition and not a popularity contest.

I want that montage of the judges' comments set to thumpy music so that I can download it to my ipod. I liked it.

kimmykaybee

kimmykaybee

Fanatic

• Interests:Favorite tv shows: <br />Survivor<br />So You Think You Can Dance<br />Pretty Little Liars<br />Dancing With the Stars

Posted May 24, 2011 @ 10:06 PM

Another mirrorball trophy for Kym Johnson? You go Kym Johnson! You earned it after dancing through that injury. Oh, and congrats to Hines also, though it wasn't surprising that he won.

I'm just glad that Mark Ballas was denied that third mirror ball trophy while Kym won her third one. I feel bad for Chelsea, but I was rooting for Anybody But Mark Ballas for the win.

Edited by kimmykaybee, May 24, 2011 @ 10:34 PM.

TiredMe

TiredMe

Video Archivist

Posted May 24, 2011 @ 10:07 PM

You could tell how upset Maks was - he had to turn around and not face the audience. Poor thing...I will comfort him.

But I am ok with Hines winning although I was rooting for Kirstie.

Two things:
1. Hilarious that no one wanted Wendy to dance again including herself
2. Ralph and Karina were the only booted ones not to faces the judges...interesting

SeaBreeze341

SeaBreeze341

Stalker

I'm also okay with Hines winning, except? Period!

While it was my preferred choice since Day 1 or February 6th (based on a lot of stuff that built up throughout the season), I have to agree that the fanbase was pretty much more than enough to make this Hines' contest to lose. Good thing he was actually pretty good this season!

Edited by SeaBreeze341, May 24, 2011 @ 10:09 PM.

chemguy79

chemguy79

Channel Surfer

My first thought is that I'm completely gutted for Maksim. I truly believe that he thought that they were going to win the mirror ball trophy. I wonder how close it was between M/K and K/H.

I'm glad that Hines won the competition because he danced very well last night and congrats to Kim for breaking the Ballas/Hough coronation ceremony again.

fionab

fionab

Couch Potato

That was a really nice finale - I loved the Josh Grobin surprise for Petra, and the way they highlighted each of the dancers. It was surprising fun... I think in large part because they weren't making the finalists struggle through 2 more routines.

I thought the "Sorry you ended up in third place, now go wave while we talk about how we don't have time for a few words from you" - cut to fake suspense about the actual winner moment made me laugh harder than anything else this season. Great unintentional comedy.

Thrilled Kirstie got a 30. She worked so hard and I really appreciated seeing an older Hollywood woman who wasn't a ridiculus clown (Cloris) or a Fake breasted bobblehead whose samba was as stiff as her botoxed face (Oh, take your pick) work hard and succeed. Go Kirstie.

lovesduncan

lovesduncan

Couch Potato

So not only is Hines the best dancer of the season but, according to the judges, he is the best of all the football players ever on the show. How much more could they slobber over him! Why don't they just name him the Best Dancer in the Entire World Ever!

What the hell was Brooke wearing? And her hair was awful. Whoever styles her should be fired. She is a gorgeous woman and she usually looks ridiculous.

madfortv

madfortv

Loyal Viewer

I enjoyed Ralph and Karina the most tonight. Last night i missed half the show due to storms so didn't vote. After seeing the repeat of last night's show, I'm happy with that decision. The three remaining teams did a nice job on their final dances, but I didn't think they deserved 10's. I would have given a 10 to Ralph and Karina. Their dance was entertaining and well choreographed.

oakgal

oakgal

Stalker

• Interests:Scrabble, modern design, crosswords, collecting handbags, reading mysteries and procrastinating.

Posted May 24, 2011 @ 10:10 PM

Poor Maks. Always the bridesmaid, never the bride. I've pretty much resigned myself to him never winning. Mel B. was his best shot and the judges ruined that one.

But MeMeMeMark didn't win! Ha ha ha! Brilliant. Try as they might, the judges couldn't propel Chelsea and her overinflated marks into the F2. Good!

Hines was overscored and overpraised a fair bit, but I haven't disliked him that much and I really like Kym. She's the real star, she can sell anything. Congrats to them!

Mark---take a vacation from the show. Try being a small fish in a big pond for a while. Prove your "amazing" choreographic skills out there where you aren't coddled and indulged.

Sandynz

Sandynz

Couch Potato

When Tom B casually wished MB 'happy birthday' early on at the beginning of the second-half, I had a glimmer of hope that "perhaps, just perhaps Team KannenBall will not win". Sorry, nothing personal against Chelsea but MB'd sabotaged her chances this season and him doing an about-turn at this stage was a little too late where the viewers were concerned.

Also, I guess somebody from the show do read the various boards/forums and probably realised that the future of the show was at stake.

Edited by Sandynz, May 24, 2011 @ 10:11 PM.

Colobethers

Colobethers

Couch Potato

Wow, I thought for half a second that Kirstie was going to win it all. But Hines' fanbase proved to be larger than the other two stars'.

Once again, I take issue with having them dance on the results night, as if it meant something. If you're going to hand out all 10s, judges, just call it a final dance for old times' sake, and be done with it!

ABMB wins! Chelsea, I have nothing against you, except for the douchebag partner you were saddled with, and unfortunately, that was enough for me not to vote for you, but you will benefit from the exposure of getting to the finals, so considering I'd never heard of you before, I think that's a win for you. Please, Summer's Eve, take 10 seasons off so I can somewhat enjoy this show again. Aaaand her coming in third just solidifies the theory that she never would have made the finals without the WTF WTA cha cha 15 points. Maybe the producers could can it next season?

I felt badly for Maks, only because I think he deserves a trophy, but it just wasn't his year. I enjoyed his partnership with Kirstie though and thought there was a real friendship there.

Enjoyed seeing Ralph and Karina again and still wished they were in the finals over C&M, but fun to see them again. I grew up in the 80s and won't apologize for being a fan of his all these years. Great guy, wish him well!

Edited by Colobethers, May 24, 2011 @ 10:11 PM.

OwlsGo

OwlsGo

Couch Potato

You could tell how upset Maks was - he had to turn around and not face the audience. Poor thing...I will comfort him.

Poor guy's been to the finale what, five times now? I don't think anybody's made it to the end as much as he has without winning.

I actually would have been happy with a Kirstie win because I don't think any of the freestyles deserved 30s. She may have not been the best dancer, but whatever.

Xantar

Xantar

Couch Potato

I'm usually just a passive viewer of the show, and this finale was the first time I ever voted. Chelsea deserved better, but she was also receiving bullshit boosts from the judges such as the winner-take-all cha cha last week. I wasn't trying to get her a third place finish, though. For the life of me, I just don't understand Kirstie Alley's appeal. To me, Ralph Macchio had much more charisma not to mention dancing ability.

Speaking of which, I was hoping against hope that he and Karina would get to redo their paso doble so that we could see what it looks like without mishaps. It really did look like it could have been a cool dance.

Hines was overrated, but he does have actual dancing ability and he showed in his samba that Kym doesn't have to carry him everywhere. Ok, and I do like Kym a lot, so I'm happy for her.

And finally, what the hell was that Black Eyed Peas performance? I actually own Elephunk and like it, but now it seems like they've just ditched melody altogether and gone with straight up rhythm and electronica. Better than their Super Bowl performance, I guess, but if there was ever a time for the DWTS troupe to come out and give me something to watch, that was it.

The XZFactor

The XZFactor

Fanatic

• Interests:TV, movies, writing

I feel like such a sore winner. On the one hand, I am SOOOOOOO happy Chelsea/Mark went out third. It's what I wanted. And yet, it makes me angry all over again that Ralph got the shaft and they put Chelsea in the finals thanks to those stupid 15 points. Grrr. But I'll be more positive and just say: HAHAHAH suck it, you douche! Maybe if you hadn't been such a dick, your "genius" would have been recognized. Just so glad that I don't have to hear that idiot talk one more time about being young and edgy and better than those old fuddy duddy traditional dancers. I actually had a feeling they may have come in third with the judges' comments to them. To me they seemed kind of sad and resigned to Chelsea's fate and were trying to boost her spirits prematurely.

I feel kind of sorry for Maks. He keeps coming in second. But I hate to say it, maybe if his freestyles weren't so underwhelming to mediocre, he'd have a shot at it.

Congratulations to Hines and Kym! They weren't my favorites all season; I think they were overscored a lot. But they were one of the best teams left. And I voted for them last night knowing they had the best shot at betting Chelsea/Mark. I would have been happy with Kirstie winning, but this outcome wasn't bad.

Edited by The XZFactor, May 24, 2011 @ 10:16 PM.

blackrose602

blackrose602

Video Archivist

Posted May 24, 2011 @ 10:12 PM

So they screwed Ralph to put their pet (Mark, since I think Chelsea was irrelevant to the judges) in the finals with that rigged WTA Cha Cha. Then they still couldn't draw the votes and went out third. Congrats to Hines, I guess, but I sure didn't see what America or the judges saw in him. Just directly comparing his quickstep to Ralph's, Hines never kicked as high or as clean as Kym...Ralph's kicks were every bit as clean and as high as Karina's. That's just one small example. Ralph absolutely should have been in the finals, and he might have had a shot to win. I know Kirstie isn't the best dancer, but when Chelsea went out I was really hoping Kirstie would squeak the win. Sigh, I think I'm finally officially done with this show.

Sunnyheart

Sunnyheart

Fanatic

Posted May 24, 2011 @ 10:12 PM

I would have been fine with either Hines or Kirstie, but so happy that Mark didn't get that 3rd MBT after the way he acted this season. I do feel bad that Chelsea didn't get her final goodbye interview - she clearly wanted to say something, but once again, they packed in too much in the show. Doesn't this happen every year? Believe me, I would have been just fine without that awful Black Eye Peas performance.

Loved Maks and Kirstie together and thought Maks' goodbye to Kirstie was one of the most touching and genuine moments this show has ever had.

SeaBreeze341

SeaBreeze341

Stalker

Posted May 24, 2011 @ 10:13 PM

So not only is Hines the best dancer of the season but, according to the judges, he is the best of all the football players ever on the show. How much more could they slobber over him! Why don't they just name him the Best Dancer in the Entire World Ever!

Well, save for Emmitt, the other dancers all lost. Warren almost got there, but most of them didn't even get to the finals, in favor of average competition. To be fair, I might have left that comment out and instead, focused on him being one of the best they've had in 6 years. Still, I'm happy for the result; IMO best or no, they got it right!

hoosier

hoosier

Stalker

Absolutely loved this finale! Great performances by Josh Groban, Sara Evans, the Go-Go's. ALL of the dances to those performers were great. Black Eyed Peas aren't suited to having dancers in front of them, but their music was pleasant. The Design-A-Dance could have used the addition of Tony and Louis, to balance it out, but it was very cute indeed. Fun to watch. Beautiful dances by Petra and also Romeo. (Was Sugar Ray there, even? I'll have to rewind my DVR. Missed him somehow.)

Congrats to Hines & Kim. They knocked that final samba out of the park tonight. It was delcious.

Len was so jovial. Nice to see him smiling all night long.

SHOCKED that Chelsea & Mark came in third, although I'm happy with that outcome. It has to be a wake-up call for Ballas to tame his antics. Many voted against Mark, and that left Chelsea in the cold tonight. We had a hint when Len congratulated her after her final dance. It was an odd remark by Len.

Brooke? Hello? Girl didn't even phone in her emotions tonight. She was there in body - and fugly pink dress - only. She had no expression and her interviews were boring as usual. BUT she did pronounce Kirstie correctly for the first time.

Maks & Kirstie obviously did connect, and there is a permanent relationship there. Maks had tears in his eyes; never seen that before.

Lastly, Lacey's choreography with Catherwood was hysterical. What fun. Good on them. Great showmanship.

Best finale ever. No lost dances or filler. All worthy content.

sintin

sintin

Fanatic

I'm happy for Kym! She's so gracious and under-appreciated that I can't bring myself to get too bothered by Hines' overscoring. Plus Mark can suck it that once again another pro has beaten him to three mirrorball trophies (though one of Kym's is from Australian DWTS).

Maks was quite classy with his "10th trophy" comment as well.

Petra and Dmitry were just lovely, and it was great of Groban to surprise them.

It must have been another burst to Mark's ego that he wasn't selected for Design-A-Dance this season.

Speaking of seasonal traditions, how great to see Anna once again participate in the athlete dance-off during the finale.

Having the booted contestants perform one more time only solidified my conviction that a Chris/Ralph/Romeo final 3 would have been amazing.

Edited by sintin, May 24, 2011 @ 10:14 PM.

jes004

jes004

Fanatic

Posted May 24, 2011 @ 10:15 PM

That's too bad. I liked Chelsea the best. For some reason the male 'stars' seem to have to do less than the women in terms of difficulty. Kirstie and Max were cute, as were Hines and Kym, but as far as dancing, they really didn't do anything for me.

Edited by jes004, May 24, 2011 @ 10:34 PM.