New Girl: Zooey Deschanel Is Cute and Quirky!

• Please log in to reply

5565 replies to this topic

scarlet1815

scarlet1815

Fanatic

Posted May 2, 2012 @ 6:14 PM

Pet peeve: is anyone on tv ever NOT forgiven for infidelities? Why is the message ALWAYS to forgive a "mistake" if it's true love? Stepping on someone's toe is a mistake. Boning somebody else is a betrayal, and someone who didn't have a problem with doing it the first time isn't likely to suddenly see the light and never do it again. Criminy.

This didn't bother me that much. I agree that cheating isn't a mistake that 'just happens,' and that Paul didn't "accidentally" slip his penis into Jess. I also agree that one of the more common ways this plays out on TV is that the cheater is forgiven, so more variety would be nice. But forgiving cheating, itself, doesn't bother me, because different people have different definitions of and tolerance levels for infidelity, so it's their business whether they want to work it out or not. A rational adult can decide whether the transgression is outweighed by other factors that make it worth keeping the relationship intact.

However, what DID bother me was the idea that Paul and Jen/Asian Jess are somehow soooooooooulmates and that he's ready to propose to her. They broke up at Christmas because Paul said he was so in love with Jess that he couldn't bear to date her if she didn't love him back. And less than six months later, he's in love enough with a different girl that he's ready to propose to her? A different girl who resembles to an eerie degree the ex he dated right before her, the ex he just cheated with? Seems to me Paul needs to figure some shit out before he proposes to anyone.

I get that Jess felt guilty for her (totally unknowing) role in the cheating, but the idea that Jess can witness all of what went down with Paul and decide that she should somehow help him not only win Jen back, but propose to her made Jess seem like a moron. And THEN to come to some epiphany about true love BASED on what she just witnessed? Gross.

Having said all that, I was happy to see Justin Long pop up. The not-Fancyman fakeout, the awkward hug, the ugly crying faces, the Asian-Jess/Caucasian-Jen jokes, all of that was pretty hilarious. Add in the earring stuff, the "I'll die and come back to haunt you", the emotional breakthrough for SchmiCe couched in broken boner jokes, the 'batsignal' for getting Nick's DVD, Nick's beard and jar of tears and poetry - lots of laughs this ep.

The one downside of the Nick stuff is that, as great as it was, nothing will ever top the Swanson version simply because of Donna: "I would like to address the goofy-looking, dirty kimono-wearing, cornrowed clown in the room. If you see Ron Swanson, can you give him this message? You used to be a man! You need to get your house in order! Look, I love you like brother, but right now I hate you, like my actual brother, Lavondrius, who I HATE!"

ETA: That'll teach me not to get distracted mid-post by Parks & Recs vids! I came back to finish up and when I posted it, I see that possibilities beat me to the punch, and in much more succinct fashion! Glad I wasn't the only person bothered by it, though...

Edited by scarlet1815, May 2, 2012 @ 6:17 PM.

hayds

hayds

Fanatic

Posted May 2, 2012 @ 6:35 PM

Paul works fast, doesn't he? He was very serious about Jess very quickly; that's why they broke up. Now, a very short time later, he's got a ring and was planning to propose.

I think, as Carrie Bradshaw would say (I know, I know- don't judge me) 'his light was on,' meaning he was ready to settle down. The men in my life are the same age as Paul (assuming that he's approximately the same age as Jess: around 30), and many of them who were dating around have turned their 'lights on' in the last few years. This has led to quick dating- to- engagement relationships. Paul may have been quicker than most (and maybe a bit needier), but he seemed like a man who was ready for love and commitment as soon as he found a woman who was up for it. The fact that she looked like Jess was a bit weird, though, but I think it was meant to throw the audience off into thinking that Paul's relationship wasn't as 'real' as it turned out to be. Maybe Paul just has a type! Yes, I am a Paul apologist...

I liked this episode a lot. I love the Winston and Schmidt pairing (or any of the dude pairings, really). It gives Lamorne storylines worthy of his comedic talent and Schmidt is always funny to me. I'm really glad they've scaled back on Winston's work adventures- I do not like his buffoon of a boss.

Something in the way that Schmidt and Winston were discussing the situation after Jess went into the bathroom makes me think they maybe know more about the feelings that Jess and Nick have for one other than Jess and Nick have admitted to themselves, or at least that Jess cares deeply about Nick (perhaps in a platonic, best-friend kind of way). It was sweet the way that they were dreading her reaction.

I really hope I have the strength to resist looking up the previews for next week. My favorite little 'bit'- when Jess turns off 'River' and Winston says 'Oh, my God, is she dead?' and Schmidt says "Oh no come on, 80 more times, I get it now it's a river!" from the other room was still funny, but it had lost its newness by the time I watched the episode.

Edited by hayds, May 2, 2012 @ 6:41 PM.

possibilities

possibilities

Stalker

Posted May 2, 2012 @ 7:25 PM

Something in the way that Schmidt and Winston were discussing the situation after Jess went into the bathroom makes me think they maybe know more about the feelings that Jess and Nick have for one other than Jess and Nick have admitted to themselves,

I actually think they all know. But Jess doesn't think Nick knows and Nick doesn't think Jess knows. I thought that Jess was going to proposition Nick as soon as she went home from breaking up with Russell, and again after she found out Paul was with someone else. I think she's trying not to do what Paul did, though, so she stopped when she heard Nick was with, and then moving in with, Caroline.

What I wonder is how long til they give Nick's room away to a new roommate. Isn't the show based on the guys needing Jess to move in and help pay the rent? So if Nick moves out, they have to give his room away. When he and Caroline inevitably fall apart, does that mean Nick moves into Jess's room with her? Or crashes on the couch? Or battles to the death with whoever has taken his room? I wonder also who the new roommate will be.

hayds

hayds

Fanatic

Posted May 2, 2012 @ 10:44 PM

What I wonder is how long til they give Nick's room away to a new roommate. Isn't the show based on the guys needing Jess to move in and help pay the rent? So if Nick moves out, they have to give his room away.

This link answers your question.

Or crashes on the couch?

This is my vote (if there is a new roommate). Nick-as-couch-guy would be hilarious. Couch guys are pretty much always annoying if they remain couch-guys for too long.

I thought that Jess was going to proposition Nick as soon as she went home from breaking up with Russell,

I got that impression at first, too, but I convinced myself that she was just going to his room to have a heart-to-heart. This is the problem with not having a person pining (not that I'm complaining at all, it's kind of refreshing)- you don't know what each party is thinking!

Edited by hayds, May 2, 2012 @ 10:51 PM.

peeayebee

peeayebee

Stalker

Posted May 2, 2012 @ 11:07 PM

Paul works fast, doesn't he? He was very serious about Jess very quickly; that's why they broke up. Now, a very short time later, he's got a ring and was planning to propose.

I thought that Paul had actually been involved with Jenn before Jess. Jess said something like, "I thought you were the Asian Me, but now I know I'm the Caucasian You." And I think there was something else said (by Paul, I guess) about being with Jenn first. I'll need to rewatch. Anyway, so I thought he and Jenn were an item, then they broke up for some reason, then he and Jess got together, then broke up, then back with Jenn and he wants to propose, then argument, then sex with Jess that last time. Maybe I'm wrong.

Edited by peeayebee, May 2, 2012 @ 11:08 PM.

LTG

LTG

Network Executive

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 10:08 AM

Or crashes on the couch?

This is my vote (if there is a new roommate). Nick-as-couch-guy would be hilarious. Couch guys are pretty much always annoying if they remain couch-guys for too long.

Plus, it's one more chance for Nick to turn into a dirty hobo.

Actionmage

Actionmage

Fanatic

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 2:30 PM

I loved the episode as long as Caroline was not on the screen. Then I rewatched "Wedding" (which I always think of as The Chicken Dance) and decided we need to sic CeCe on Caroline. Caroline dissed Nick's Grateful Dead bears; we haven't seen Nick get enthusiastic about much so that he has those is kinda big. Then, in that huge-looking empty house, she's all 'heehee, where would we put your stupid toys?' Yes, Caroline was probably just joking, but there has been too many sitcoms/ads/comedy routines about The Woman making the living space all her stuff and The Man has to just deal or have a secret life in a storage space. (To be fair, Nick would kill a storyline like that,but moving on.)

We saw how Caroline's a lying liar who lies, even about stupid things like her age. I don't think she's good enough for Our Nick. Not sure Nick/Jess should happen, at least right now, but if Julia/Lizzy Kaplan came back, I'd be happy.

I would like to see CeCe's nana again too. She rocked! I hadn't seen Jack Carter in what seems like ages, but then again, he's 89. He was looking good and still has his timing.

I'm going to be sad when the season ends. Hopefully, my Fox station will keep reairing NG late on weekends. (Fox 4, Channel 4, KDFW, Saturdays @11PM CST)

hayds

hayds

Fanatic

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 4:07 PM

Has anyone seen This promo?

Makes my 'shipper heart happy (even if they're potentially huddling out of fear).

if Julia/Lizzy Kaplan came back, I'd be happy.

I loved Julia! I'd be happy to see Lizzy Kaplan again. They've done a great job making the love interests for Nick and Jess appealing... aside from Caroline, who is clearly supposed to by a terrible person.

Plus, it's one more chance for Nick to turn into a dirty hobo.

Exactly! And have him find weird ways of driving the (theoretical) new roommate away.

Danny Franks

Danny Franks

Stalker

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 4:17 PM

Has anyone seen This promo?

Love it. "Why would you do the Roadrunner? Coyotes hate Roadrunners!"

I also like Jess's sustained anger about Nick leaving. Seems like some things are going to be coming into focus for at least one of them in this finale. I just pray the show doesn't head down the dreaded 'will they, won't they' route, piling on angst, jealousy and pain. This show has been remarkably free of that sort of crap, up until now.

I'd like to see Jess and Nick together, but I'd rather it either happen right away, or neither of them even think about it as a possibility for a couple of years.

I loved Julia! I'd be happy to see Lizzy Kaplan again. They've done a great job making the love interests for Nick and Jess appealing... aside from Caroline, who is clearly supposed to by a terrible person.

Agreed. I actually wish Julia had stuck around for a lot longer, maybe even permanently. Lizzy Caplan was fun and charming in the role, and I thought she and Jake Johnson had some nice chemistry.

Regarding Caroline, I'd rather that things just get wrapped up in the finale, and he doesn't move in with her at all, meaning no new roommate (I think the spoilers about someone moving into Nick's old room were more along the lines of "prospective" roommates). Doesn't look like there'll be time for that though, what with them being stuck out in the desert. Who knows, maybe Caroline gets pissed that he wasn't there on time with the removal truck, and dumps him again. *fingers crossed*

3down1up

3down1up

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 4, 2012 @ 10:46 AM

And I didn't even realize next week was the season finale!

What bothered me the most about the Paul proposal was not only that Jenn says "yes" literally minutes after finding out that Paul had cheated on her, but that whole interaction between Jess and Paul where Jess had to cue him his lines and push him down to one knee and open the ring box for him. I know, I know, it's all comedy, but still. That is NOT a proposal story to tell the grandkids.

And I don't mind New Girl borrowing Parks & Rec's plot point about the DVD warning from the past. New Girl is funny. Season 3 of Parks & Rec was sublime. Utter perfection.

hayds

hayds

Fanatic

Posted May 4, 2012 @ 11:33 AM

That is NOT a proposal story to tell the grandkids.

Ha! I would just conveniently leave Jess entirely out of it I were Paul- the whole situation was just bad.

And I don't mind New Girl borrowing Parks & Rec's plot point about the DVD warning from the past. New Girl is funny. Season 3 of Parks & Rec was sublime. Utter perfection.

It was just different enough to be really funny for me. The tear jar and the quote about dressing like an unsponsored skateboarder especially (and the way that Winston alerted Schmidt that the time was right to show Nick this video). I agree about S3 of Parks and Rec, though- if you're going to borrow, borrow from the best. Weirdly, that particular episode (Ron and Tammy, Part 2) is one of my least favorites from the season, but the scene with Ron talking to his future self is gold.

HoneyBee

HoneyBee

Stalker

Posted May 4, 2012 @ 2:41 PM

if you're going to borrow, borrow from the best.

Like I mentioned before, the DVD plot was also borrowed from now canceled Friends with Benefits. And I think it was before Parks and Recs episode. I might be wrong, but still... it's the same comedy trope plot, but I don't think it was borrowed from the best. It was pretty cliche plot, actually. But I'm okay with it, I guess. It depends on the reaction. I remember Friends With Benefits' Ben immediately realized his mistake, while New Girl's Nick doesn't. It was just not really original.

Imonrey

Imonrey

Stalker

Posted May 4, 2012 @ 3:25 PM

It wasn't the best episode but I did like past-Nick talking to future-Nick "Or whatever you call yourself now." And the ever growing earring of Winston's. And Schmidt saying "Ow, Owie" to being aroused. And I'll forever be a fan of Justin Long, ever since Galaxy Quest. He's such an effective adorable dork, and the ugly crying bit was hilarious.

But I think the problem here is the relationship between Nick and Jess. The characters are all a little too over the top for the show to do any real meaningful relationship storylines, so the bits with Jess and Russell or Jess and Paul, or Nick and Caroline feel out of place. There's a sort of serious undercurrent to them that doesn't seem to fit into the overall feel of the show. This isn't Friends, and the whole Ross & Rachel dynamic doesn't work with characters that veer more into absurdism. Ross and Rachel were characters that felt like they could actually exist in real life, whereas Nick and Jess don't. Relationship angst between them or with them doesn't really work.

possibilities

possibilities

Stalker

Posted May 4, 2012 @ 4:01 PM

In my head, Nick made that video because he's a fan of Ron Swanson, and that's what gave him the idea.

HoneyBee

HoneyBee

Stalker

Posted May 6, 2012 @ 3:06 AM

Max Greenfield Talks About Schmidt

In the second half of the season, the 31-year-old saw his character change when Schmidt entered into a relationship with Cece (Hannah Simone). The plot allowed Schmidt to grow and become more than the womanizing player viewers met in the pilot. “You get to see a lot more of who Schmidt is and kind of how vulnerable he is,” he said. “We’ve created collectively a character who we really like and has a lot of heart and ultimately is safe. And when you create a character like that it’s the best because then that character can say and do pretty much anything and be forgiven by an audience.”

Darth Kittious

Darth Kittious

Video Archivist

Posted May 6, 2012 @ 9:04 PM

I'm starting to love Max Greenfield as much as I love Schmidt. Schmidt related charity event in L.A. today

As all fans know, Schmidt is very concerned with his physique and Max, in good fun, has carried that joke into reality. This Sunday, May 6th, Max will guest teach two spinning classes at West Hollywood’s SOUL CYCLE.
All proceeds will benefit Milk + Bookies and underserved children in need of books.

$100 per bike to join in. Wish I saw this sooner and lived closer. I might have forced my fat butt onto a bike.

ElectricBoogalo

ElectricBoogalo

Stalker

Posted May 7, 2012 @ 5:59 AM

Re: the recycled plot from Parks & Rec - it actually reminded me of Ted & Barney writing letters to their future selves reminding them why they shouldn't get back together with Robin on How I Met Your Mother.

April Marie

April Marie

Couch Potato

Posted May 7, 2012 @ 1:32 PM

Long-time lurker here - I've so enjoyed reading everyone's thoughts throughout the season. This is one of my favorite new shows, & one of the few that's appointment TV for me. I'm posting for the first time because I'm a little excited that I was the first one to find the previews for the finale. So here are the 7 (yes, SEVEN!) previews. Looks like Fox really wants people to watch it.

Preview #1
Preview #2
Preview #3
Preview #4
Preview #5
Preview #6
Preview #7

My favorites are the first (Schmidt, once again, kills it & absolutely steals the scene), fifth (Winston is HILARIOUS!), & sixth, even though there are some heavy anvils dropping in that scene.

Danny Franks

Danny Franks

Stalker

Posted May 7, 2012 @ 5:01 PM

My favorites are the first (Schmidt, once again, kills it & absolutely steals the scene), fifth (Winston is HILARIOUS!), & sixth, even though there are some heavy anvils dropping in that scene.

The Winston one is hilarious, but my favourite is definitely the one with Jess impersonating the Road Runner. Just the way she says "meep meep", in that earnest, serious way, is cracking me up. And Nick reacting as though she will somehow send the coyote into a rage by invoking the sound of its hated enemy. Too funny.

Hope they don't take the first steps into real 'will they, won't they' with this episode, though. I can happily accept them having their own relationships, as long as there's not a whiff of 'really they want each other, and are jealous of the other person's partner'. As soon as that kicks in, things tend to go downhill.

Hating Schmidt's Whitefang decision, too. Because that seems like a recipe for needless angst, which this show has adroitly avoided so far. I do like his mispronunciation of 'wolf' though.

hayds

hayds

Fanatic

Posted May 8, 2012 @ 2:41 PM

I'm very excited about tonight's finale episode. I'm really interested to see the direction that they will take this show next season. I think they've gone in the right direction (for the most part) with the latter half of this season, but I hope that relationship drama won't drag the show down- and I say that as a huge Nick/Jess 'shipper. They're rounding out the season with 5 funny, fully-formed characters that have wonderful chemistry with each other, and I hope they capitalize even further on that chemistry next season.

ReadIshmael

ReadIshmael

Stalker

Posted May 8, 2012 @ 8:39 PM

I have come to love these people so much. I'm still grinning over seeing everyone dancing with joy at the end...particularly Nick's ridiculousness. It's just so much fun to watch them hang out. Tons of funny moments and little callbacks in this episode (I loved Schmidt talking about how once Nick was gone he was going to hire a plumber...and throw money at him while he worked). Winston's fear of the dark and Schmidt's "White Fang" reenactment were the comedy highlights, but I also really liked the final Schmidt/CeCe argument, and how successfully they're selling a deep friendship between Nick and Jess rather than just a shallow will they, won't they thing.

WendyCR72

WendyCR72

Fanatic

Posted May 8, 2012 @ 8:39 PM

Well, I liked the finale. Although poor Schmidt, having his White Fang moment bite him in the ass once CeCe realized he had seen her phone. So, I'm guessing they are on the outs now?

I was glad to see Nick come back, but how odd that 4th roomie was not even really addressed. I'm GUESSING that will also carry over to Season 2?

I admit to seeing much of these in those preview clips, but I still laughed at Winston's rant in the desert and liked when Nick had his freakout in that truck.

Sooo, Jess had the keys all along. Sneaky. But I loved that the show did not do the quasi-expected "caught in the moment" kiss or whatever. Jess and Nick do have awesome chemistry together, but TPTB are smart to let it burn slowly.

This group has terrific chemistry together.

ETA:

how successfully they're selling a deep friendship between Nick and Jess rather than just a shallow will they, won't they thing.

See, I think this show IS selling Nick/Jess. But I think it is selling it subtly, not hitting people over the head with it. I do love their friendship. But the lingering before Jess told Nick "See ya" tells me there is more there.

I just pray it is not acted upon for a while yet.

Edited by WendyCR72, May 8, 2012 @ 8:43 PM.

Jilly Copper

Jilly Copper

Fanatic

Posted May 8, 2012 @ 8:51 PM

Line of the night came courtesy of Winston (paraphrasing):

"Schmidt's Jewish; I'm afraid he's going to start wandering."

DoraNi

DoraNi

Channel Surfer

Posted May 8, 2012 @ 8:54 PM

Winston's freak-out was hilarious.

I felt surprisingly genuine sadness when Schmidt told CeCe that he had trouble trusting her because he felt that her sleeping with him doesn't speak well to her taste in men. I wanted to give him a hug.

They'd better address the "What about the new roommate who was in the process of moving in?" thing next season, because it's already bugging me.

I'm going to miss these crazy kids all summer!

Betsyb

Betsyb

Fanatic

I thought that was a pretty disappointing finale.

I liked that all of the jokes about Schmidt not being good enough for CeCe have led somewhere. It isn't that he isn't good enough but he obviously has really low self-esteem and is insecure.

I did like Winston's freak out. But, all things being said, he handled being trapped in the desert way better than I would.

I liked Jess interviewing the new tenant. Including her wildly hypocritical telling him she likes quiet when he was singing. I still think Zooey Deschanel is far better when she is sarcastic and/or deadpan than when she is kooky.

Still turned out to be a great season after a rocky start. This really turned out to be one of the more enjoyable sitcoms on TV right now. Who would have guessed?

Edited by Betsyb, May 8, 2012 @ 8:58 PM.

hjohnson

hjohnson

Fanatic

One of my favourite things about the show is how great at physical comedy the cast is, especially Nick. From the dancing, to Schmidt hugging him with his arms stuck to his sides, to his desperate grabs at Jess when she was meep-meeping... also, the kiss made me laugh really hard. Oh Schimdt. You are attractive, especially with your hair all messy at the end with your excessive dancing.

I'm amazed at how much I love this show, especially after thinking how dumb it was in the beginning...

ddawn23

ddawn23

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 8, 2012 @ 9:08 PM

The yo-yo of Nick's wanting to move and not move was annoying at first, then good, then very very disappointing. I didn't want him to move. I thought it was stupid. But then he really seemed to make a breakthrough and I was really okay with him moving on. And then we had the eleventh-hour return for no reason. WHY did he decide to come back in the end? It was a great finale until then. And it might have still been a great finale if we understood what exactly changed his mind in the end. Otherwise he's just wishy-washy and has made zero growth. Oy.

On the other hand I adore Thomas Lennon and was very happy to see him. Hope it's not the last we've seen of him. And the continuity nod with the super was nice.

hayds

hayds

Fanatic

Posted May 8, 2012 @ 9:18 PM

also, the kiss made me laugh really hard.

At least someone got to kiss Nick during this episode, hehe!

Loved the return of the landlord (and the fact that they played The Landlord as the second episode- love that episode so much).

They'd better address the "What about the new roommate who was in the process of moving in?"

Couch-guy!

WHY did he decide to come back in the end?

Pretty sure it was because of Jess, even if he won't admit it to her (her speech about being okay because she'd met him was really sweet- I'd have stayed, too). If he'd said that he stayed because of her, the Nick/Jess thing would have been on, and they clearly want to stretch it out for a while.

Love this cast.

venezia1120

venezia1120

Channel Surfer

Posted May 8, 2012 @ 9:33 PM

Did Caroline look pregnant? Or was that just a really unflattering top?

braggtastic

braggtastic

Stalker

Posted May 8, 2012 @ 9:38 PM

I don't know about that, but Schmidt wearing sweatpants while doing front and back flips on his bed really didn't look like he had a hard cast on his penis.