New Girl: Zooey Deschanel Is Cute and Quirky!

• Please log in to reply

5565 replies to this topic

coastal515

coastal515

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 13, 2012 @ 10:17 PM

I love this show so much I wish it was an hour. So I watch it twice. Every week.

Swedish Chef

Swedish Chef

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 13, 2012 @ 11:24 PM

I agree, coastal. I unabashedly love this show, and think it has just gotten steadily better since the beginning. My husband and I regularly laugh out loud, which rarely happens when we watch TV comedies. I am so happy we're getting another season! My other favorite new show of the year was unceremoniously canceled earlier this year, and I am so happy that one of the shows I love is sticking around.

hayds

hayds

Fanatic

Posted Apr 14, 2012 @ 10:30 AM

Previews! Six of them! So many!

Preview #1
Preview #2
Preview #3
Preview #4
Preview #5
Preview #6

I really like the second one.

Danny Franks

Danny Franks

Stalker

Posted Apr 14, 2012 @ 10:53 AM

I really like the second one.

The second one was definitely the best. Nick has become this show's MVP, in my opinion. Everything he does is gold.

Way too much Schmidt/Cece in these previews for me, though. I'm pretty bored of their thing, and wish it would either end or evolve into a normal relationship where we don't have to listen to Schmidt act as though this is the first girl he's ever slept with.

HoneyBee

HoneyBee

Stalker

Posted Apr 14, 2012 @ 12:03 PM

"Popo Corno!"

Chas411

Chas411

Fanatic

Posted Apr 14, 2012 @ 2:57 PM

As apparently the only person here who likes Schmidt and Cece, I'm quite looking forward to more focus on them.

redpencil

redpencil

Fanatic

Posted Apr 14, 2012 @ 3:17 PM

I like Schmidt and Cece too, but I hope this actually changes/progresses their dynamic. The moment they had in the back of the car was nice, when they agreed there was something to lose. But I need to see progress, not just constant sex buddies.

Chas411

Chas411

Fanatic

Posted Apr 14, 2012 @ 3:35 PM

Yeah I agree about having the dynamic change. I think it will help though plus
Spoiler

Comsimplex

Comsimplex

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 14, 2012 @ 5:21 PM

Sigh... Even when I was young, I never thought drunkenness was funny. I've enjoyed the show when it's been witty or dealt with human foibles. But seeing a man who resonates as my age acting like a sophomore at a fraternity party doesn't work for me. Mulroney is a stiff fish out of water on this show. Set him up as a boyfriend for Dana Delaney on Body of Proof, or the lawyer daughter on Blue Bloods. Luke Perry would be a better fit for New Girl if you have to go "older".

Danny Franks

Danny Franks

Stalker

Posted Apr 14, 2012 @ 5:52 PM

I like Schmidt and Cece too, but I hope this actually changes/progresses their dynamic. The moment they had in the back of the car was nice, when they agreed there was something to lose. But I need to see progress, not just constant sex buddies.

The problem with them, for me, is that those moments are too few and far between. I've had enough of seeing Cece act like she's better than everyone else, especially Schmidt, and of seeing Schmidt act like the guy that Cece thought he was at the beginning. He was as big a douchebag as he's been in the whole show, in the last couple of episodes. Bragging about the sex they're having to his friends, while she's sitting right there? I find that to be a truly assholish thing to do and, when combined with Cece's continuing distaste (at least on the surface) for him, I just find myself having the same thoughts that Nick and Winston did when they found out.

So they need to seriously tone down both Cece's superior attitude and Schmidt's venality and idiocy, if they want me to pay attention to their scenes again. The stuff they're showing in those preview scenes is less than encouraging, on that front.

Chas411

Chas411

Fanatic

Posted Apr 14, 2012 @ 6:37 PM

I kind of get why she acts the way she does though. When she first met all the guys they acted like idiots around her. I think she's warmed to them now that she knows them better. She appears to like both Nick and Winston. To be honest with all the dumbass things Schmidt has said to and about Cece while she's there, I get her reactions to him, at least when it's front of others. I think it's very obvious at this stage that she likes him but I do get what you're saying that at this stage the relationship needs to progress. It's past sex buddies and getting repetitive.

Cherith

Cherith

Fanatic

Posted Apr 14, 2012 @ 7:29 PM

Plus, in CeCe's defense, she is better than all of them (except Jess).

Chas411

Chas411

Fanatic

Posted Apr 14, 2012 @ 7:52 PM

And she's fiercely protective of Jess which is a trait I adore in all female characters.

Writer13

Writer13

Fanatic

Posted Apr 14, 2012 @ 9:19 PM

I watched the PaleyFest interviews and the theme song music video...Jake Johnson's dancing is absolutely hilarious!

theatremouse

theatremouse

Stalker

Posted Apr 15, 2012 @ 10:48 AM

Bragging about the sex they're having to his friends, while she's sitting right there? I find that to be a truly assholish thing to do and, when combined with Cece's continuing distaste (at least on the surface) for him, I just find myself having the same thoughts that Nick and Winston did when they found out.

If they hadn't established in the scene when Cece and Schmidt were basically explaining themselves to the gang after they found out and the two are claiming to just be sex buddies and not in an actual relationship I'd agree with you. But his talking about the sex while she's sitting right there read to me more like they're both still sort of...protesting too much on that subject, rather than an asshole bragging thing. I'm not saying I thought it was a very polite or pleasant thing to do, but he seemed as much like he was essentially reminding his friends "yup, just sex" as anything else.

Edited by theatremouse, Apr 15, 2012 @ 10:49 AM.

Winston Wolfe

Winston Wolfe

Fanatic

Posted Apr 15, 2012 @ 11:34 AM

Plus, in CeCe's defense, she is better than all of them (except Jess).

I'm curious, why would that be?

ramble

ramble

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 16, 2012 @ 10:54 AM

I have waffled on this show but now I have to admit I enjoy 90% of the time. I went in thinking I'd hate Schmidt but he's turned out to be one of my favorites. It's Nick I'm havjng the most trouble with & usually his style of character works for me. It'a an odd flip-flop that works for me. I'm just crossing my fingers that they hold off on the (probably) inevitable Jess & Nick coupling.

Nosleepforme

Nosleepforme

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 16, 2012 @ 1:08 PM

I think my least favorite character is Winston. IMHO they haven't done a good job at making him funny and interesting, though I already see them working towards it. He has gotten funnier in the last few episodes, but he's not quite as great as the other characters yet. Nick is my favorite. I guess because I can relate to him the most with his lack of direction in life and I also love the mixture of vulnerability and manliness. Of course it doesn't hurt either that Jake M. Johnson is incredibly attractive and his funny faces literally kill me every week. Where has he been the last few years? I don't understand why he is only now turning into a huge sitcom star.

Also, is it okay to admit that I hate Russell? I cannot stand him at all. I think the episodes were he was in were considerably less funnier than other episodes. I just want him to get off my screen.

iggystar

iggystar

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 16, 2012 @ 2:51 PM

I love this show so much I wish it was an hour. So I watch it twice. Every week.

Same here and I haven't done that since I had to tape shows on my VHS!

ReadIshmael

ReadIshmael

Stalker

Posted Apr 17, 2012 @ 8:47 PM

I missed the first half of the episode because I got out of class late, so I'll have more to say about it tomorrow, but I justed wanted to say how much I loved the scene where Schmidt called Nick and pretended he was a girl. Nick's response was just hilarious; so oblivious. Adorable.

Nick and Jess trying to get Sarah out of the room by admitting embarrassing things was a sweet, fun scene, and the tag was another instance of Nick being wonderfully ridiculous.

I'll reserve my thoughts on the Schmidt/CeCe stuff until I see the whole episode.

patriotickid

patriotickid

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 17, 2012 @ 9:24 PM

" I will not apologize for my powerful sperm!"

Classic.

The girl's dancing with the belly was hilarious and so was Schmidt's face after hearing Chloe's age(weird editing in that scene). I loved how Jess took control of the day by telling Nick that everything he says without pants sounds creepy.

I'm not sure how they're going to push this will they, won't they between CeCe/Schmidt since both seem to acknowledge their feeling just never in the same way.

Unfortunately, Winston got the short end of the laughs this week.

CookieChica

CookieChica

Fanatic

Posted Apr 17, 2012 @ 9:34 PM

"We are literally the most embarassing people in the world."

Favorite line of the episode!

hayds

hayds

Fanatic

Posted Apr 17, 2012 @ 9:35 PM

That was a weird episode for me. It may require a rewatch, but it didn't seem to come together very well (for me). First of all, I love Winston and really want him to have more and better storylines, but his storyline was not really funny tonight. His boss just seems too cartoonish for this show and the time spent watching his storyline was kind of stuff to get through to get to the main storylines.

Unfortunately, Winston got the short end of the laughs this week.

Exactly

The Cece and Schmidt baby storyline was okay, but again it wasn't terribly funny- I think because they couldn't really have Schmidt acting like douche towards the potential mother of his child. There was some pretty good dramatic acting by Hannah and towards the end by Max, but I was never really worried that Cece was pregnant, so it didn't affect me all that much. I'm also not that invested in the 'Cece has feelings for Schmidt' storyline (although I like them together because it keeps them in the house and interacting with the others rather than off having random storylines with potential love interests). That may be why I wasn't thrilled with their storyline, either.

The storylines surrounding Nick and Jess were funnier. 'Ol Poo Eyes and Russell's daughter especially carried the funny for the show for me quite a bit. I'm a mushy Nick/Jess shipper, so the scene in front of Nick's door was pretty adorable.

Also- this is my favorite show now, even if I do think that this was a bit of an 'off' episode.

Edited by hayds, Apr 17, 2012 @ 9:38 PM.

patriotickid

patriotickid

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 17, 2012 @ 10:58 PM

That was a weird episode for me. It may require a rewatch, but it didn't seem to come together very well (for me). First of all, I love Winston and really want him to have more and better storylines, but his storyline was not really funny tonight. His boss just seems too cartoonish for this show and the time spent watching his storyline was kind of stuff to get through to get to the main storylines.

I was actually kind of excited by the set-up for Winston's story in the ep. Having sports stars/celebs come by every fifth ep would be hilarious after how well they handled the Kareem cameo.

But it seems like the thing to do with Winston's character is to pair him off in some awkward buddy comedy. Winston and the kid. Winston and his boss. Winston and hot semi-girlfriend. Where as Jess and the other guys always rally back to the loft for advice about the outside characters. Winston only occasionally discusses his problems to the team.

Edited by patriotickid, Apr 17, 2012 @ 11:38 PM.

hayds

hayds

Fanatic

Posted Apr 17, 2012 @ 11:23 PM

But it seems like the thing to do with Winston's character is to pair him off in some awkward buddy comedy. Winston and the kid. Winston and his boss. Winston and hot semi-girlfriend.

I think all of the characters in general are funnier when they are paired with another main character rather than outside characters because of the strong chemistry between all of them. Alternatively, bringing outside characters into the madness (e.g., Russell and his daughter) also works pretty well for humor. The game of True American last week was hilarious because four out of five of the main characters (I count Cece as main now) were in the mix. Nick and Jess going to Russell's house in Fancyman: Part 1 worked because it was Nick, Jess, and Russell in the storyline. It wouldn't have been as funny with Jess alone at Russell's house.

There are a few exceptions (I loved Paul and Jess as well as Nick and Julia, for example), but in general I find myself rewatching the storylines with main characters interacting and skipping storylines with main characters paired with others (Schmidt and his boss or Winston and his girlfriend, for example).

shockey80te

shockey80te

Fanatic

Posted Apr 17, 2012 @ 11:48 PM

I loved the convo with Schmidt and Nick-ole. It was funny that Nick was cool with everything until he was asked if he was keeping it tight. That stumped him.

The reveal that the girlfriend was in high school last year was hilarious.

Baby Schmidt was break... rolling? The Schmidt-Cece exchanges were all great. "I don't want to impregnate the baby."

Plow jobs, animal-style... Jess wouldn't know if she did those either.

Jeanne Tripplehorn is still hot.

JanLevinsonScot

JanLevinsonScot

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 18, 2012 @ 12:15 AM

I'm still halfway through the episode, but schmidt had me at Mordechai, Avracham (which btw is Avraham, not Avracham) and Menachem Menendel (which should be Mendel).... Schneerson.

(It's even funnier for me, because one of my kids are named one of the abovementioned names...)

I'm a big fan of the Phil Hendrie radio show and all the funny voice-shtick he does, so I recognized his voice before I knew it was him. It's amusing to watch him act like a total nincompoop. He has some mean acting chops.

Edited by JanLevinsonScot, Apr 18, 2012 @ 12:16 AM.

Cynic

Cynic

Fanatic

Posted Apr 18, 2012 @ 12:21 AM

I loved the convo with Schmidt and Nick-ole. It was funny that Nick was cool with everything until he was asked if he was keeping it tight. That stumped him.

And Nick's stumped face cracked me up. He was so grossed/weirded out. I loved how he was rolling with it all until then, especially when he asked Schmidt if he wanted to spend more time together.

I was worried that the pregnancy storyline would be stupid, especially since it was obvious the show wouldn't actually make her pregnant, but I enjoyed it. I didn't think I could love Schmidt more, but his awesome, supportive reaction made me love him even more. I hope those two work it out.

Winston and Jess with the kid bored me.

whywatch

whywatch

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 18, 2012 @ 12:52 AM

Winston was just wasted with that story line. It really slowed down, maybe "bogged down" is better, the episode. The Schmidt-CeCe was handled well. Another teacher friend and I got a little sidetracked ourselves talking about dating a student's dad, but that's our hangup! [probably exacerbated by the fact that we've never had any date-able students' dads!]

Edited by whywatch, Apr 18, 2012 @ 12:53 AM.

HoneyBee

HoneyBee

Stalker

Posted Apr 18, 2012 @ 5:15 AM

Schmidt was right (or was it Nick who said it?); Winston would be a baby sitter for the rest of his life.

I totally laughed when the girl said, "I want to rub my face to his face!" regarding Nick.