New Girl: Zooey Deschanel Is Cute and Quirky!

• Please log in to reply

5565 replies to this topic

Rockbell

Rockbell

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 23, 2012 @ 7:49 AM

The phone store stuff was funny, but it also ignored that broke people do have an alternative: get a no-contract phone. You may have to pay a little more up front for a phone (or pay like $20 for a super basic phone), but I think Nick could at least swing that. I know, reality isn't as funny as sitcoms, but this is kind of like pretending you either drive a BMW or nothing.

Haha, that was my thought as well. Why couldn't he get a prepaid phone? Better than nothing. Also, when Fancyman gave him a phone, I couldn't help wondering how Nick was going to get a contract to use that phone with - I mean, that's why they need your credit score.

Unless of course, the phone is pre-activated and pre-paid, because he's Fancyman.

HoneyBee

HoneyBee

Stalker

Posted Mar 23, 2012 @ 9:40 AM

Being a non American, I really don't get the whole phone credits thing. Nick has low score... low score of what, exactly? And why are they laughing. I feel dumb. The store lady mentioned, "Are you just wake up from a coma?"

Please explain :(

I laughed with him being too cheap of not having cellphone.

Aunt Pittypat

Aunt Pittypat

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 23, 2012 @ 10:11 AM

Please explain :(

HoneyBee, they were talking about his credit rating score. All Americans have a credit score which is based on how much they owe different companies, how well they pay their bills, etc. Having a low score means that you either have too much debt for your income or because you don't pay your bills on time. So, companies check your credit score before giving you a mortgage, a car loan, a phone contract and stuff like that. And if your score is too low they might not give it to you because they think you are a risk of not paying your bills.

That is an oversimplification, but hopefully it helps.

And like everyone has said, there are actually a lot of no-contract phones that don't require a credit score check, so the plot line was a bit silly.

Danny Franks

Danny Franks

Stalker

Posted Mar 23, 2012 @ 10:17 AM

Being a non American, I really don't get the whole phone credits thing. Nick has low score... low score of what, exactly? And why are they laughing. I feel dumb. The store lady mentioned, "Are you just wake up from a coma?"

I assume the American credit scoring system works in pretty much the same way as the British one. Itís really just a record showing how much of a risk it would be for a company to offer lending to an individual. Any sort of credit, from loans, credit cards, overdrafts, and credit contracts, like a phone contract, is recorded. The credit score itself is compiled based on the amount of credit a person has, and their history of managing that credit.

So if a person has more credit than they can afford to pay back, or if they just miss payments and generally mismanage their finances, theyíll have a low score.

In Nickís case, it seemed that he just had no credit history (other than the store card he mentioned), and so they couldn't predict whether he would make his payments on time or not, his score was ridiculously low.

Oh, and I just started watching this show in the last week or two. Itís not uproariously funny or cutting edge, but I do like it.

Iíve always had a crush on Zooey Deschanel, though Iím still not sure sheís well suited to this role, or to the sitcom medium. She just seems uncomfortable at times (though I think thatís been the case in most of the stuff sheís done, except Almost Famous) But the guys playing Nick and Schmidt are both incredibly funny. Definitely enough laughs to keep watching, at least.

Iím enjoying the slow but sure development that theyíve been giving to all five of the main characters (including Cece). Some sitcoms just create their stock of characters and rely on them to get laughs, even if they remain the same week after week. Already I think this show has moved each of its characters away from their original incarnations, in different ways.

I know that Schmidt is seen as the MVP by many, but for me itís definitely Nick. His curmudgeonly, pessimistic outlook on life is sadly quite similar to my own, but Jake M. Johnson brings enough charm to the role that he never becomes oppressively depressing.

I really liked his riffs on being a rich, successful guy in this last episode, and hope to see more of that lighthearted side of him as the show progresses. Though I think my favourite moment from him so far was his rant about how he doesnít need to wash his towel, because it washes him. It was the ďyou need to think, man!Ē that did it, as though it was completely absurd to expect someone to do that.

Heís a great foil for Jessís perky, happy-go-lucky personality, and seeing the two of them trying to rein in each othersí more extreme tendencies is a lot of fun.

HoneyBee

HoneyBee

Stalker

Posted Mar 23, 2012 @ 10:18 AM

Thanks for the explanation. It's clear now (I'm not American nor British, and we don't have those credit scores), but wow. With Nick always avoiding paying his debts, now I understand why everyone, especially Winston is frustrated of him. Damn, Nick.

Edited by HoneyBee, Mar 23, 2012 @ 10:20 AM.

Nell Huxleigh

Nell Huxleigh

Fanatic

Posted Mar 23, 2012 @ 11:16 AM

I own physical copies of three movies and The Wedding Date is one of them. It's about two things I have little interest in- weddings and prostitutes. Three things - neurotic women. It cost a dollar is my only excuse.
Why is Nick so attractive? He really does work the crazy, broke, could lose 5-7 pounds thing. It must drive Winston and Schmidt crazy. They are both fine as hell and a bit less crazy, but Nick has it. The landlord threesome was really when I stopped noticing the other two.

Edited by Nell Huxleigh, Mar 23, 2012 @ 11:17 AM.

LTG

LTG

Network Executive

Posted Mar 23, 2012 @ 1:55 PM

I've heard the phrase and probably even used it myself but how would one smell like "going to see a man about a horse"? That's why it's so funny to me, I guess.

I think it means smelling like the kind of guy who's so polite and old-fashioned that you make an excuse to leave and go to the bathroom, rather than just telling the people you're with that you're going to the bathroom. Like pipe tobacco and leather and tweed.

Danny Franks

Danny Franks

Stalker

Posted Mar 23, 2012 @ 2:13 PM

Thanks for the explanation. It's clear now (I'm not American nor British, and we don't have those credit scores), but wow. With Nick always avoiding paying his debts, now I understand why everyone, especially Winston is frustrated of him. Damn, Nick.

I think it wasn't that Nick has debts he doesn't pay, but that he'd never had credit at all(because he's been broke most of his adult life, I guess). That was where the joke about him having been in a coma came from, because it's so difficult for anyone to make it to 30 without having an extensive credit history.

joanne3482

joanne3482

Fanatic

Posted Mar 23, 2012 @ 2:42 PM

Isn't Nick the law school dropout? That means he would've gone to college for an undergrad degree first. I can't imagine he didn't at least pick up student loans for law school if not undergrad as well. Those would provide him some credit history. They could be contributing to his overall low score if his student loan amount is too high, but generally I thought depending on the student loan types those were considered 'good' credit.

akg

akg

Stalker

Posted Mar 23, 2012 @ 3:01 PM

Isn't Nick the law school dropout? That means he would've gone to college for an undergrad degree first. I can't imagine he didn't at least pick up student loans for law school if not undergrad as well. Those would provide him some credit history. They could be contributing to his overall low score if his student loan amount is too high, but generally I thought depending on the student loan types those were considered 'good' credit.

I was picturing a lot of student loan debt too and I'd bet he's not paying much, if any, on them which can't be good for his credit.

CelticMyth

CelticMyth

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 23, 2012 @ 3:52 PM

This is a 30 minute show; how can there be so many previews?

New Promo
Preview 1
Preview 2
Preview 3
Preview 4
Preview 5
Preview 6

Edited by CelticMyth, Mar 23, 2012 @ 3:53 PM.

possibilities

possibilities

Stalker

Posted Mar 24, 2012 @ 12:05 AM

I assume Nick defaulted on his student loans, and that will destroy your credit.

I particularly liked the Japanese toilet, and I usually hate bathroom humour but that was just too funny! "You set it up to six happy faces!"

"That's some deep cleaning!"

I wasn't sure about this show at first, but there have been some stellar episodes recently and now I'm fully on board.

stewedsquash

stewedsquash

Fanatic

Posted Mar 25, 2012 @ 3:08 PM

"It's President Miller of Earth. I'd like to speak to the Galactic Emperor, please. [pause] Yeah it's about money."

"I'm going to push a piece of paper across the desk that I've written a little number on.... Why don't I just tell you? It's $5 kabillion. What do you say? Is China mine, Mr. Ying?"

Somehow the President of "Earth" just killed me. And I thought he was going with the cliche'd car and surprised me with China. I hope that they continue, albeit slowly, letting Nick's ambition come back. Wouldn't it be weird if by the end of the show's run, Nick turns into Schmidt?

shapeshifter

shapeshifter

Fanatic

Posted Mar 25, 2012 @ 6:06 PM

I particularly liked the Japanese toilet, and I usually hate bathroom humour but that was just too funny! "You set it up to six happy faces!"

"That's some deep cleaning!"

I'm embarrassed to admit I just laughed out loud again just reading this.

"It's President Miller of Earth. I'd like to speak to the Galactic Emperor, please. [pause] Yeah it's about money."

"I'm going to push a piece of paper across the desk that I've written a little number on.... Why don't I just tell you? It's $5 kabillion. What do you say? Is China mine, Mr. Ying?"

This whole scene was great too. Was it scripted, or was it an adlibbed outtake?

I didn't care much for the previous episodes, but this was great. I suspect it will be be the high point of the show, regardless of renewals. So many things worked so well. Jess wearing her Mr. Monagamy sign. The sweater folding. Schmidt's impersonation of his grandma.

Edited by shapeshifter, Mar 25, 2012 @ 6:07 PM.

hayds

hayds

Fanatic

Posted Mar 25, 2012 @ 7:18 PM

I hope that they continue, albeit slowly, letting Nick's ambition come back.

Perhaps a certain doe-eyed roommate will help him with that...

I was wondering why a man (Nick) who is at least subconsciously attracted to his roommate (Jess) would so strongly encourage her to date another guy. Perhaps upon talking to Russell (Fancyman), he may believe that he has more growing up to be 'worthy' of her (or is that subconscious, too!). The other option (as I hinted at above) is that he doesn't realize his attraction and is trying to do encourage his friend to take a risk.

I know that we were being led by the Cece-Jess scene in the bathroom to see that Nick cannot 'take care' of Jess, but what's really interesting about the whole thing is that by looking out for Jess' best interests (or so he thinks), Nick is 'taking care' of her. Really, he's been 'taking care' of her all season (think Landlord and the pilot, for example). He is very protective of her.

Non-Nick/Jess related: I love Winston and I think Lamorne Morris has some of the best line readings ('you have the credit score of a homeless ghost' was awesome), so I hope that they give him better storylines and more lines in general soon. The scenes with the kid were funny, but I don't think the girlfriend storyline is working too well for mining humor. He's a lot funnier paired with one of the main characters, imo.

Frogintheglen

Frogintheglen

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 25, 2012 @ 11:38 PM

My landlady and I have been trying to work "homeless ghost" into conversation as many times as possible since Tuesday. It's a surprisingly useful phrase. :D

hayds

hayds

Fanatic

Posted Mar 25, 2012 @ 11:44 PM

My landlady and I have been trying to work "homeless ghost" into conversation as many times as possible since Tuesday. It's a surprisingly useful phrase.

Hilarious!

I had a jacket with a hood on today. I was chilly, so I put up the hood and told my husband I was going 'ghost protocol' (I do have a phone, though). Fortunately, he's just as nerdy as I am and laughed at this.

Bella

Bella

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 26, 2012 @ 9:15 AM

In preview 1, the first line out of "Jess'" mouth was someone else's voice dubbed in. How weird?

Edited by Bella, Mar 26, 2012 @ 9:25 AM.

mememeee

mememeee

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 27, 2012 @ 9:11 AM

"Non-Nick/Jess related: I love Winston and I think Lamorne Morris has some of the best line readings ('you have the credit score of a homeless ghost' was awesome), so I hope that they give him better storylines and more lines in general soon. The scenes with the kid were funny, but I don't think the girlfriend storyline is working too well for mining humor. He's a lot funnier paired with one of the main characters, imo."

Can't get the quote function to work but I completely agree with the above. The actress playing his love interest is gorgeous but I'm not seeing any chemistry. Maybe I need to hear some Jodeci!

I really have not cared for Nick at all until this Fancypants episode. I agree with this:
"I wasn't feeling Nick's behavior at all. He came across as being a jerk for the simple fact that he didn't have money. There are times when they really don't write Nick's character well; he comes across like a whiny, unsympathetic asshole instead of someone vulnerable or genuine (like when he thought he had cancer). He's not some crusader for the poor; he's just broke and bitter. So I liked it when he finally admitted that Mr. Fancypants was a nice guy and that he was envious of what he had."

I liked his light bulb moment when Dermot (can't remember the characters name) said that he used to be like him but finally realized he had to grow up.

Danny Franks

Danny Franks

Stalker

Posted Mar 27, 2012 @ 10:22 AM

I wasn't feeling Nick's behavior at all. He came across as being a jerk for the simple fact that he didn't have money. There are times when they really don't write Nick's character well; he comes across like a whiny, unsympathetic asshole instead of someone vulnerable or genuine (like when he thought he had cancer). He's not some crusader for the poor; he's just broke and bitter. So I liked it when he finally admitted that Mr. Fancypants was a nice guy and that he was envious of what he had.

I've got to say, I saw it as the viewers being meant to see Nick as bitter about people with money. The whole 'I don't want to buy into the corporate system' seemed like a clear lie to me, which Fancyman called him on. And him telling Jess to throw her own phone away felt like a nod to the fact that Nick was just projecting his own problems onto her.

This is something I think the show has not really glossed over so far. Nick is a bitter, cynical and jealous guy, when it comes to those who have money and success. He has no money, a crap job, went through a very painful break up, he doesn't really have much going for him, and I think he knows it.

But yes, hopefully this will be the start of him working through that bitterness and actually trying to make things better for himself, instead of wallowing. I guess Injury was another step, with him admitting that he's the guy who won't do something if he doesn't know what will happen. If he won't take risks, he'll probably never achieve anything.

Bruinsfan

Bruinsfan

Stalker

Posted Mar 27, 2012 @ 3:11 PM

I don't think bartending is a crap job, at least not if it's in an upscale place like Nick's bar looks to be rather than a cheap dive. Nick should be pulling in more money every month than Jess or Winston. (Admittedly, it's possible that student loans for Law School drop him back down to migrant worker level take-home pay, but if so he'd be facing that for any fill-in job he could get in place of being an attorney.)

Betsyb

Betsyb

Fanatic

Posted Mar 27, 2012 @ 3:29 PM

If I could go back in time I would surely choose being a bartender (cash tips!) over being a lawyer (long hours of paper pushing). So, I don't think his job is really a problem all by itself. But combined with all of those other things I can see him being upset about where his life is.

I do think Nick is at a point where he is angry and bitter about his life. He has had a series of bad events and he wishes he was better off but is at a point where he doesn't even know where to start. I think many people have been there and it is completely normal.

I think he is the funniest of the guys. Yes, funnier than Schmidt who I think is better in very small doses.

Edited by Betsyb, Mar 27, 2012 @ 3:30 PM.

hayds

hayds

Fanatic

Posted Mar 27, 2012 @ 3:51 PM

I think he is the funniest of the guys. Yes, funnier than Schmidt who I think is better in very small doses.

I agree with this and hope that the writers realize this, as well. A little Schmidt goes a long way. He would join a long line of characters who audiences first looove and them come to hate when they are featured too much.

I actually think the Nick/Jess pairing works the best of all the main character pairings not because I want them to get together (well, I do), but because they play off of each other so well. And it gives a chance for Jake Johnson (who I also think is the funniest of the guys) to have lots of funny lines.

We haven't had a Jess/Winston pairing, have we? I think that would entertaining, too. Clearly, I am a big Winston supporter.

Edited by hayds, Mar 27, 2012 @ 3:52 PM.

Danny Franks

Danny Franks

Stalker

Posted Mar 27, 2012 @ 4:27 PM

We haven't had a Jess/Winston pairing, have we? I think that would entertaining, too. Clearly, I am a big Winston supporter.

I guess the Bells episode was as close as we've got to a Jess/Winston pairing. It wasn't one of the better episodes, in my view. But that was mainly because of the unpleasant teenagers.

One pairing I want to see, in a non-romantic sense, is Nick/Cece. I feel like they could have a fun, semi-antagonistic chemistry, and it seemed like Cece thought more of Nick at first than she did of Schmidt or Winston. He was the only one who didn't hit on her, and he was the one she wanted to dance with in the episode where Jess brings her over drunk. And she wanted to set Jess up with him.

ReadIshmael

ReadIshmael

Stalker

Posted Mar 27, 2012 @ 8:54 PM

God, Nick has just been on fire lately. Another fantastic showing for him this week. I love how Jake Johnson plays drunk. And Nick's genuine admiration of Dirk and his overall playfulness this week were really cute and appealing and funny.

Also a better-than-average showing for Winston; loved him singing "Defying Gravity."

I really like it when Jess gets to be weird and awkward in a situation where it makes sense to be weird and awkward, so she gets to be funny without looking stupid.

sopreppypink

sopreppypink

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 27, 2012 @ 8:54 PM

This show has become a must see for me. Second episode where Jake Johnson made the show, between his, "They don't know what 'Saved by the Bell' is and they've never felt pain!" and drunken ramblings. HM to Lamorne Morris and his version of Defying Grvity.

jessied112

jessied112

Stalker

Posted Mar 27, 2012 @ 8:57 PM

Yeah, I'm pretty sure I called Winston finding out about Cece/Schmidt first a while back. I knew it would be him and the way he found out was freaking hysterical. Any man that loves Broadway music (especially Wicked) wins in my book. I also love his relationship with...Sophie? Unfortunately, his girlfriend's name escapes me right now. But driving to Mexico with Cece and Schmidt in the backseat was great.

Drunk Nick continues to amuse me to no end. I think I wanna see him drunk in every episode. I love him not being able to find the car right behind him. But I'm not fond of his college friend quite yet. He's kinda cool, but nothing special.

Russell/Jess is actually kinda cute. We didn't get too much of them, though, which is a little sad. But whatever. I hope this relationship makes it past the four episode mark.

ChocoSliceCream

ChocoSliceCream

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 27, 2012 @ 9:40 PM

MARTIN STARR!!!

Sorry, that's all I got for now. I love that guy, have since "Freaks and Geeks", and am loving yet another cast member from "Party Down" being on the show. Yes, I'm still bitter they cancelled that show and am gonna have to watch some episodes before bed tonight.

hayds

hayds

Fanatic

Posted Mar 27, 2012 @ 11:29 PM

I guess the Bells episode was as close as we've got to a Jess/Winston pairing. It wasn't one of the better episodes, in my view.

Ha! That's the only one that I haven't rewatched several times- hence the forgetting, I guess. Bells is the only episode that I think of as a 'clunker' for this show.

Also- I was crying with laughter the last ~2 minutes of this current episode- beginning with Dirk (I just love Martin Starr) trying to get himself some action when Russell and Jess kissed, and extending to the end.

HelloooKitty

HelloooKitty

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 27, 2012 @ 11:44 PM

Winston singing "Popular" was awesome!