New Girl: Zooey Deschanel Is Cute and Quirky!

• Please log in to reply

5561 replies to this topic

bparhad

bparhad

Stalker

Posted Jul 17, 2011 @ 8:13 AM

No, as arc posted above, they're going to leave his character in the first episode, and just replace him with a new character afterwards.

I know that but my point is most television viewers don't frequent a website devoted to tv shows and will ask themselves those questions once the realize Damon Wayans Jr. is no longer on the show

I think that'll depend on how they set up his departure in the second episode, or if they add any scenes in the pilot to explain why he's leaving. If they make it seem like his character was only supposed to be there for an episode, then it won't seem odd that he's not around after the pilot.

Bruinsfan

Bruinsfan

Stalker

Posted Jul 17, 2011 @ 8:34 AM

Normally it is, but apparently not this time.

Redtracer

Redtracer

Fanatic

Posted Jul 17, 2011 @ 9:03 AM

They'll probably just add a quick throwaway line in the second episode. "Since _____ got a new job in the next state and moved out, we need to find another roommate" or something. Or maybe the new guy will already be there by the time the second episode starts, and they'll talk about how he's different than Damon Wayans Jr.'s character or something, letting the viewers know why the first guy is gone.

Not the smoothest transition possible, but it'll probably work for most viewers.

Edited by Redtracer, Jul 17, 2011 @ 9:03 AM.

CoyoteBlue

CoyoteBlue

Fanatic

Posted Aug 1, 2011 @ 10:58 PM

The more I see previews, the more I wonder how they're going to make a series around Manic Pixie Dream Girl without becoming annoying very very quickly.

arc

arc

Stalker

Posted Aug 1, 2011 @ 11:59 PM

That's the thing though! The crappiest thing about MPDGs is that they are unreal in the worst way: vessels for male fantasy in service to the not-really-that-awesome-anyways male main character. But here, Zooey's character is the lead; almost by default they'll have to give her more to do than your standard MPDG.

(Admittedly everything in the trailers has come straight from the MPDG standard playbook, but eh. You can only do so much with a few minutes of trailers.)

Sandman

Sandman

Stalker

Posted Aug 3, 2011 @ 10:11 AM

Or maybe the new guy will already be there by the time the second episode starts, and they'll talk about how he's different than Damon Wayans Jr.'s character or something

The New Adventures of Manic Pixie Dream Girl and her Nerd Posse, now with Interchangeable Black Friend? Pass.

Redtracer

Redtracer

Fanatic

Posted Aug 3, 2011 @ 11:37 AM

now with Interchangeable Black Friend

Dan Fienberg from HitFix pointed out that recasting Damon Wayans Jr. was a no-win situation for the network. Recast him with a white guy, and you have an all-white main cast (unless her best friend is going to be a regular), plus it's a little unseemly. Recast him with a black guy, and you imply that black guys are all interchangeable. Recast him with another minority, and the message is, "Black, Asian, Hispanic, whatever. We just need a minority."

Obviously that's overthinking the situation a little, but someone was going to cry foul no matter what.

Sandman

Sandman

Stalker

Posted Aug 3, 2011 @ 12:15 PM

Yeah; even as I wrote my post above, I could see that it was probably a bind the network hadn't intended to be in. I can't help thinking they could have finessed it better. I'm not sure how, but somehow.

The Masses

The Masses

Fanatic

Posted Aug 3, 2011 @ 2:10 PM

I used to like ZD, but after all the awful promos for this show, I would be happy never to see her face again. The show looks unfunny and full of itself. So it will probably be a big hit with the teen through 20's crowd.

beadgirl

beadgirl

Fanatic

Posted Aug 3, 2011 @ 8:48 PM

The New Adventures of Manic Pixie Dream Girl and her Nerd Posse, now with Interchangeable Black Friend?

They were in a bind, but this made me laugh anyway.

I know I shouldn't be, but I can't help being interested in this show.

Frog

Frog

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 4, 2011 @ 9:39 AM

The New Adventures of Manic Pixie Dream Girl and her Nerd Posse, now with Interchangeable Black Friend?

The New Adventures of Cognitively Impaired Narcissistic Flake and Conventional Male Stereotypes

Sandman

Sandman

Stalker

Posted Aug 4, 2011 @ 11:36 AM

The New Adventures of Cognitively Impaired Narcissistic Flake and Conventional Male Stereotypes

Well, that one sounds more like a CBS show, heh.

teachmusik

teachmusik

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 22, 2011 @ 10:10 PM

I read that the new character is an origional roommate with the two other guys but he was playing basketball overseas in Croatia. Damon Wayans's character was co-opting the apartment and the new character kicks him out when he abruptly comes back from overseas.

http://www.tvguide.c...is-1035074.aspx

Edited by teachmusik, Aug 22, 2011 @ 10:11 PM.

vb68

vb68

Stalker

Posted Sep 1, 2011 @ 7:54 PM

Justin Long will do three episodes.

Edited by vb68, Sep 1, 2011 @ 7:56 PM.

Merve

Merve

Fanatic

Posted Sep 2, 2011 @ 3:00 AM

Justin Long will do three episodes.

So this show is actually going to have story arcs? Sounds good to me.

TimberWolf321

TimberWolf321

Loyal Viewer

Posted Sep 2, 2011 @ 3:41 AM

You can watch the pilot on On Demand.

vb68

vb68

Stalker

Posted Sep 2, 2011 @ 7:07 PM

So this show is actually going to have story arcs? Sounds good to me.

Yeah, I agree. It sounds very promising.

BooBear

BooBear

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 3, 2011 @ 12:49 PM

You can watch the pilot on On Demand.

Ahh I thought that was horrible. I didn't laugh once at anything and I am not a Zooey Deschanel dis-liker. Although I like the roommate who just broke up with someone (and apparently is already in love with Zooey) I did because he was the only sane of the three roommates.

What was with douchbag roomate? Wow, who writes this stuff?

dietcokeisgood

dietcokeisgood

Loyal Viewer

Posted Sep 3, 2011 @ 5:12 PM

Eh it was okay. Pilots are never the best. I'll watch another episode to decide.

tvallthetime

tvallthetime

Fanatic

Posted Sep 4, 2011 @ 1:49 PM

I saw the pilot on a flight (Jet Blue) and it was unfunny and didn't hold my attention. I turned it off after 10 minutes. Sorry, Zoey, wanted to like it. I hope "Happy Endings" works out for DW,Jr.

Roll the dice

Roll the dice

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 6, 2011 @ 12:49 PM

Pilot is available for free on iTunes. Just watched it and I thought it was alright and I will give it another shot as pilots can often be super hit or miss but aren't necessarily indicative of the direction of the show. Zooey was predictable and quirky. Of the three roommates the only one that I liked was the one who was also recently dumped. The douchey character was way to douchey for my liking and Coach just wasn't that interesting, besides DWJ is way better on "happy endings" [another show with an iffy pilot but has gotten better over time].

I don't know why but I expected it to be an hour long show more like the family dramedies on TV, so I was surprised when it was just typically sitcom length.

Also hated the intro sequence.

Edited by Roll the dice, Sep 6, 2011 @ 12:53 PM.

bulldawgtownie

bulldawgtownie

Stalker

Posted Sep 6, 2011 @ 1:49 PM

This show will be a hit. That's how it works in tvland, shows you love get cancelled after one season and shows you don't like last forever. That said I'll give this show a chance.

Sara Sunshine

Sara Sunshine

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 6, 2011 @ 2:09 PM

FYI via TVline

The new Fox comedy New Girl is getting sneak peek treatment before its official debut on Sept. 28. Per Variety, the Zooey Deschanel vehicle will hit iTunes on Sept. 6, and then will appear on Hulu, Fox.com and VOD beginning Sept. 13.

bparhad

bparhad

Stalker

Posted Sep 6, 2011 @ 2:09 PM

I have a question for those who have watched the pilot already - can you tell, just based on how the show's characters are so far, if the character played by Mary Elizabeth Ellis (I think the character name is Caroline?) is going to be a regular character? I'm a bit iffy on whether I want to watch the show, but I like her, so if her character is going to be around a lot, I'll watch. If she's going to be on and off, I think I'll pass, so I'd love some input from someone who's watched the pilot already.

Merve

Merve

Fanatic

Posted Sep 6, 2011 @ 4:53 PM

I just saw the pilot on iTunes, and it's exactly how I thought it would be: interesting and very watchable, just not very funny. So, I'm in, but I hope it gets funnier.

The douchebag jar was definitely the best part. Also, Damon Wayans, Jr. had a very small role to play, and he was easily the least interesting of the three guys, so I'm not too worried about the recasting with Lamorne Morris.

Edited by Merve, Sep 6, 2011 @ 4:55 PM.

prostitutewhore

prostitutewhore

Video Archivist

Posted Sep 6, 2011 @ 9:13 PM

Wow this show sucks. Not funny, very predictable. I used to like Zooey, this show made me dislike her.

ayerhead07

ayerhead07

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 6, 2011 @ 10:41 PM

I don't care much for ZD or her character, but as a chick who recently moved into a house with three guys myself, I am intrigued by the premise. I like the actors playing the guys (although I'm hopeful that Max Greenfield's character will done it down soon), so I'll give it a few more episodes. I think the Breaking In comparison is apt -- I enjoyed watching it, but didn't laugh too much. I guess it goes in the "we'll see" pile for now.

Betsyb

Betsyb

Fanatic

Posted Sep 7, 2011 @ 12:19 AM

I hate to make opinions about shows I haven't seen, yet. But I am human so I do it all the time. And I will say that this show is better than I thought it would be. Which isn't saying that much. But I actually didn't mind Zooey Deschanel much at all. I liked that she wasn't played as totally unattractive because she wears glasses or something. But just someone who has been in a relationship for a long time and has no idea how to behave. I liked her with her female friend. I liked that she had a moment of reversal where she was giving Damon Waynes Jr. tips on how to talk to girls.

It was not too great but I didn't hate it. I will watch a second episode. I sort of almost internally chuckled a couple of times.

Hated singing in the restaurant in the end a lot. I did like that ZD told Max Greenfield to put the money in the douche jar after he said he would do her.

Edited by Betsyb, Sep 7, 2011 @ 11:35 AM.

Submarine

Submarine

Video Archivist

Posted Sep 7, 2011 @ 1:19 AM

Saw the pilot and can't say I like it. The show has a weak premise, the characters lack depth, and the dialogue is not witty and unfunny. The only character I felt was interesting is Schmidt, Max Greenfield's douchebag character. Even Zooey Deschanel can't salvage this series.

Edited by Submarine, Sep 7, 2011 @ 1:20 AM.

suzysite

suzysite

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 7, 2011 @ 8:43 AM

Saw the pilot on iTunes and didn't love or hate it. The main issue I had was that they have already shown all the possibly funny bits in the preview commercials, so it seemed like I'd already seen most of it. I'll still give it a shot, though.

Edited by suzysite, Sep 7, 2011 @ 8:44 AM.