New Girl: Zooey Deschanel Is Cute and Quirky!

• Please log in to reply

5557 replies to this topic

Stalkmylife82

Stalkmylife82

Fanatic

Posted May 20, 2011 @ 10:08 AM

New Girl - First Look

Zooey Deschanel stars in "New Girl," about an optimistic Midwestern woman who moves into a New York apartment with three juvenile guys (Max Greenfield, Jake M. Johnson and Damon Wayans Jr.). Liz Meriwether is behind the 20th Century Fox Television-based half-hour, which also stars Hannah Simone.

Damon Wayans Jr. will be recast since he will be sticking with Happy Endings next season.

Redtracer

Redtracer

Fanatic

Posted May 20, 2011 @ 1:48 PM

I do not like Zooey Deschanel. It's not the quirkiness. It's the fact that in everything I've seen her in except Elf (which I've always chalked up to the different hair color), she speaks in a bizarre monotone and barely changes the expression on her face. She's always creeped me out a little, honestly.

But . . .

I have to admit that I chuckled a few times while watching this preview. Undercutting the "little black dress makes a woman hot" moment with dorky dancing was my personal favorite. So yes, I will be watching this and hoping that ZD works out much better for me in 22 minutes than she does in two hours.

bulldawgtownie

bulldawgtownie

Stalker

Posted May 20, 2011 @ 2:36 PM

I like the things I've seen her in plus I'm going to trust that Damon Wayans, Jr. wasn't planning to join a show that's unfunny. So despite the fact the premise doesn't seem that interesting to me I'll check out this show.

spanana

spanana

Stalker

Posted May 20, 2011 @ 2:53 PM

While I agree it's kind of nice to finally see Zooey playing something a little different than the same monotone role she almost always plays, I really wasn't sold on the trailer. The character seems sort of generic, quirky girl. That said, I'm sure I'll at least give it a try.

arc

arc

Stalker

Posted May 20, 2011 @ 4:41 PM

The character seems sort of generic, quirky girl.

But Zooey Deschanel playing quirky girl is like crack to hipster boys. I kinda think that group by itself is too small an audience for the kind of ratings Fox usually wants, though.

(I liked her a lot in 500 Days but that was the first time I saw her... much later I saw her in Hitchhikers Guide and I finally got why a lot of people were down on her.)

gabbyghoul

gabbyghoul

Fanatic

Posted May 20, 2011 @ 4:54 PM

I used to think she was okay and even enjoyed her a bit in her movies.
Then came that damn Cotton commercial that she sang in.

Now, that's ALL I think of and hear whenever I see her.
To have to watch this show would be pure torture. Seeing act all quirky with that adenoidal singing in my head.

The horror. The horror...

Merve

Merve

Fanatic

Posted May 20, 2011 @ 5:01 PM

I know it's foolish to judge a show based on a 3-minute trailer, but I have a feeling that this show is going to be next season's Breaking In: a show that I enjoy watching because it's fun, not because it's funny.

The only Zooey Deschanel movies I've seen are (500) Days of Summer and Surf's Up. I liked her in both, although, to be fair, the latter was a voiceover role. So, I don't have any irrational hatred for her, but I'm not all hung up on her cute quirkiness either.

I kind of wish that there was a way for Damon Wayans Jr. to be on both this show and Happy Endings. But of course, that's impossible, so I'm hoping that they find a suitable replacement. I like the other two roommates though, especially the one played by Jake M. Johnson. Hannah Simone was utterly flat in the trailer; maybe that's the point, or maybe she'll surprise me when the episode airs.

In any case, I'm definitely checking this one out. Worst comes to worst, it'll just be something else to snark about.

vb68

vb68

Stalker

Posted May 20, 2011 @ 9:07 PM

The only Zooey Deschanel movies I've seen are (500) Days of Summer and Surf's Up.

The first time I saw her was as the sister in Almost Famous, so she'll always have a reserve of goodwill for that with me. I'll be checking it out too.

samsnee

samsnee

Stalker

Posted May 20, 2011 @ 9:56 PM

Why does she have to look so hipster with the ironic frames and hair that covers half her face?

Redtracer

Redtracer

Fanatic

Posted May 20, 2011 @ 9:59 PM

I have a feeling that this show is going to be next season's Breaking In: a show that I enjoy watching because it's fun, not because it's funny.

I can definitely see that. In order to like a sitcom, I generally don't have to laugh out loud if I find it aimiable, so I'm hoping this show at least falls into that territory.

I kind of wish that there was a way for Damon Wayans Jr. to be on both this show and Happy Endings.

I don't watch Happy Endings, so this trailer is the first time I've seen him, but I really liked him. His fake-harsh "Stop it!" made me smile. I hope I like the next guy as much.

Edited by Redtracer, May 20, 2011 @ 9:59 PM.

Ethereal Zoe

Ethereal Zoe

Fanatic

Posted May 20, 2011 @ 11:57 PM

Eh. Indie darlings in sitcoms. Did Fox learn nothing from The Return of Jezebel James?

To me, the trailer was entertaining mostly for Damon Wayans, Jr. Since he's not going to be on the show, they'd better come up with something (or rather someone just as funny or funnier) quick. As it is, I'm going to call that it won't last past a few episodes.

biakbiak

biakbiak

Stalker

Posted May 21, 2011 @ 12:19 AM

I can only hope they take the opportunity of needing to recast Damon to scrape the pilot and tweak the show because it looks like shit.

I'm going to trust that Damon Wayans, Jr. wasn't planning to join a show that's unfunny.

Tons of talented funny people have been in shitty pilots, so I doubt that means anything. Plus it's not as if he is at a point in his career where he can be turning down pilots that want to cast him.

Edited by biakbiak, May 21, 2011 @ 12:21 AM.

Slade347

Slade347

Fanatic

Posted May 21, 2011 @ 12:37 AM

I'm in the Zooey camp, but the clips didn't do much for me. Still, I'll give it chance not just due to Zooey, but also because there's plenty of not so good pilots that have turned into good shows.

katiele

katiele

Channel Surfer

Posted May 21, 2011 @ 3:27 AM

oh yay, a show where Zooey can play herself...too bad Michael Cera couldn't take part in this show, too.

Rinaldo

Rinaldo

Stalker

Posted May 21, 2011 @ 9:30 AM

I'm going to trust that Damon Wayans, Jr. wasn't planning to join a show that's unfunny.

It'd be nice to be able to think that about actors we like... but mostly they just have to take the least objectionable opportunity available. And of course many actors (even surprisingly "established" ones) aren't even in a position to choose among several tempting offers. Most of the time there's nothing; if one series comes up, that's what you take. It was interesting to see Bret Harrison tapdance around this lately in interviews asking "haven't all your tv series roles been sort of the same guy?" and he was trying hard not to say "If something different came my way, I'd grab it."

lara423

lara423

Video Archivist

Posted May 24, 2011 @ 6:29 PM

I like Zooey so I hope this show doesn't change my mind..

Bruinsfan

Bruinsfan

Stalker

Posted May 25, 2011 @ 10:19 AM

oh yay, a show where Zooey can play herself...too bad Michael Cera couldn't take part in this show, too.

Hey, I hear Charlie Sheen is available these days if they want someone else for a role that requires absolutely no acting...

I briefly thought I might watch for the eye candy alone if nothing with an actual plot worth watching gets aired on another network in the same time slot, but then remembered how abysmal the last two sitcoms I've tuned in for David Walton were.

Stalkmylife82

Stalkmylife82

Fanatic

Posted May 27, 2011 @ 1:01 PM

New Girl - First Look

Here is a overview/critique of the pilot episode, for anyone who is interested.

thelittlethings

thelittlethings

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jun 7, 2011 @ 3:50 AM

I think it could be worth at least looking at as I like Zooey. Hopefully they tweak a few things though.

lara423

lara423

Video Archivist

Posted Jun 25, 2011 @ 7:51 PM

Premier date is September 20th.

biakbiak

biakbiak

Stalker

Posted Jun 30, 2011 @ 1:42 PM

Could they for the love of god create a new promo that doesn't have Damon Wayan's Jr in it! Or at least take him out of the pictures of the cast with the title.

arc

arc

Stalker

Posted Jul 12, 2011 @ 3:12 AM

Lamorne Morris' casting was announced today. From the description, I'm guessing he's taking over the Damon Wayans Jr part.

lara423

lara423

Video Archivist

Posted Jul 13, 2011 @ 9:08 PM

Could they for the love of god create a new promo that doesn't have Damon Wayan's Jr in it! Or at least take him out of the pictures of the cast with the title.

New promo tonight sans Coach. I liked it. Zooey in the fridge talikng about why its cool to live with boys.

arc

arc

Stalker

Posted Jul 16, 2011 @ 4:16 AM

OK, so here's the deal. Rather than recast Wayans Jr, they'll just replace his character.

Rather than recast and reshoot the pilot, Morris will join the comedy in the second episode of the series. Wayans’ Coach will only be seen in the pilot episode and Winston will be introduced in Episode 2.

BTW, Fienberg has a pilot not-quite-a-review and the core is this: the sole selling point is Zooey being Zooey. I'm not gonna lie, I'd tune in for at least a few episodes of that.

bulldawgtownie

bulldawgtownie

Stalker

Posted Jul 16, 2011 @ 1:35 PM

Wow, that's a weird decision. I guess it's cheaper to do it that way but I bet a lot of people are going to be wondering what happened to Damon Wayans, Jr., and why didn't they keep him. Especially if he turns out to be the funniest character in the pilot.

Merve

Merve

Fanatic

Posted Jul 16, 2011 @ 1:39 PM

Wow, that's a weird decision. I guess it's cheaper to do it that way but I bet a lot of people are going to be wondering what happened to Damon Wayans, Jr., and why didn't they keep him. Especially if he turns out to be the funniest character in the pilot.

They might be doing it that way to leave open the option of him coming back as a recurring character.

lara423

lara423

Video Archivist

Posted Jul 16, 2011 @ 4:51 PM

what happened to Damon Wayans, Jr., and why didn't they keep him. Especially if he turns out to be the funniest character in the pilot.

He is on Happy Endings. 2nd season ordered for that show.

arc

arc

Stalker

Posted Jul 16, 2011 @ 5:06 PM

Yeah, when you're on a show, if it gets picked up the show is considered "in first position", meaning anything else you're on contract for is in "second position" and if there's a conflict, you have to honor the first contract first. Happy Endings was pushed way back to late midseason and I could see why he took a flyer on another job, but luckily HE was renewed. (Happy Endings is very good.)

bulldawgtownie

bulldawgtownie

Stalker

Posted Jul 17, 2011 @ 12:10 AM

He is on Happy Endings. 2nd season ordered for that show

I know that but my point is most television viewers don't frequent a website devoted to tv shows and will ask themselves those questions once the realize Damon Wayans Jr. is no longer on the show.

BluWacky

BluWacky

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jul 17, 2011 @ 7:26 AM

Won't they reshoot the pilot so he's not in it any more? I thought was how these things worked.