Ringer: Buffy's Back!

• Please log in to reply

4611 replies to this topic

FurryFury

FurryFury

Fanatic

Posted May 22, 2011 @ 2:54 AM

I meant her looks, her hair, her clothes, even her expression. I like to see actors change their looks for different roles.

I don't think it matters as long as their mannerisms are different, and I didn't think hers were.

On a shallow note, she's looking good these days. Didn't change much since Buffy.

cyberducks

cyberducks

Fanatic

Posted May 22, 2011 @ 3:02 AM

I loved BTVS back in the day, it was my first serious TV obsession and any new TV project of SMG's would have my good will, but this show looks interesting even on its own merit. Looking forward to it.

nexus2012

nexus2012

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 22, 2011 @ 6:47 AM

Personally I always thought she was a lousy actress, but I am very much so interested in the premise of this show and am looking forward to it. It seems pretty fresh after all the retread NCIS/NCI/Law and Order type stuff. I do hope it's compelling as it purports to be and is a hit (I'm still very sad about "Terriers" being cancelled, because that was another fresh show),

darkestboy

darkestboy

Stalker

Posted May 22, 2011 @ 9:32 AM

At least the CW have given it a decent timeslot, though I'm not sure if 90210 is a good lead in show for it.

ShortTimer

ShortTimer

Couch Potato

Posted May 22, 2011 @ 7:09 PM

My biggest question about the premise is the husband. I'm thrilled Ioan Gruffudd is going to be in the series (and hope he gets to use his own accent), but seriously, what husband isn't going to know that his wife's twin isn't his wife? That will be the hardest part to overcome, IMO. I really hope -- as an earlier poster said -- this isn't a short-term gig for him. Maybe he'll be in on the ruse. --Also can't wait to see Nestor Carbonell again.

Aurilly

Aurilly

Couch Potato

Posted May 22, 2011 @ 7:16 PM

Have there been any promos released featuring Ioan and/or Nestor? I like SMG as much as the next person, but they're the real reasons I'll be tuning in, and it's frustrating that I haven't glimpsed them at all.

I also hope the network change doesn't affect any of the actors' desires to be in the show (don't know if there might be a contract loophole so they could quit). Ioan for sure is a movie star (lead roles in Amazing Grace, Fantastic Four, etc) and might have been jazzed to be on a CBS show but not a CW show.

brighthope

brighthope

Fanatic

Posted May 22, 2011 @ 8:21 PM

Also can't wait to see Nestor Carbonell again.

I knoowwww! Nestor Carbonell and Sarah Michelle Gellar in the same show with an interesting concept? Definitely one I'm really looking forward to.

paulvdb

paulvdb

Fanatic

Posted May 23, 2011 @ 4:26 AM

Also, I find it kinda funny how many TV female leads these days play 2 characters on their shows. Fringe, Vampire Diaries, some teen show coming this summer and now Ringer. Why doesn't this happen with male leads? :)

The Lying Game about a girl who takes the place of her wealthy twin sister. Although the difference with Ringer is that on that show we don't know if the wealthy twin is dead. The description only mentions that she doesn't show up when the girls are supposed to switch back.

But it is interesting that the CW is premiering a show with a somewhat similar premise (girl takes the place of her wealthy twin sister) a few months after ABC Family.

FurryFury

FurryFury

Fanatic

Posted May 23, 2011 @ 10:28 AM

lthough the difference with Ringer is that on that show we don't know if the wealthy twin is dead

I actually got the impression that we don't know for sure if Siobhan (I think that's the wealthy twin's from Ringer name) is dead either, but her sister definitely thinks she is.

paulvdb

paulvdb

Fanatic

Posted May 23, 2011 @ 11:39 AM

You're right. I should have read the description more carefully. It says that Siobhan disappears and someone tries to kill Bridget in Siobhan's house. In my mind that got meshed up to Siobhan being killed. So I guess Ringer's basic premise has even more in common with The Lying Game than I thought. Of course other than that very basic premise of taking your missing wealthy twin sister's place the shows will probably have little in common.

Danie84

Danie84

Fanatic

Posted May 23, 2011 @ 12:26 PM

I'm not sure if 90210 is a good lead in show for it

With how awful 90210 is, you'd think they put the Ringer in the 8pm time slot, to get the guaranteed ratings that SMG name will bring.

biakbiak

biakbiak

Stalker

Posted May 23, 2011 @ 1:03 PM

It was in the promo clip she says that Siobhan killed herself not that she disappeared.

babyblackcat

babyblackcat

Fanatic

Posted May 23, 2011 @ 1:42 PM

I'm really looking forward to this one. I was a little bummed it got moved to the CW, but maybe that will be OK, the bar for ratings is so much lower there compared to CBS so maybe it will have a chance at a longer life. I used to love the WB/UPN back in the day, but haven't watched anything on CW in years.

brighthope

brighthope

Fanatic

Posted May 23, 2011 @ 1:48 PM

Of course other than that very basic premise of taking your missing wealthy twin sister's place the shows will probably have little in common.

I read the first book in The Lying Game series and the girls don't know they are twins until one of them is already dead basically. The book was narrated from the POV of the dead sister as she watches her twin try to take her life. The surviving girl is being threatened by whoever killed her sister to continue to act as though she's her. I don't know exactly how the TV show is going to approach things, but it sounds to me like while there are similarities, there are enough differences. I actually expect The Lying Game to be a bit more like Pretty Little Liars than Ringer.

Kosmonaut

Kosmonaut

Stalker

Posted May 24, 2011 @ 4:29 PM

It was in the promo clip she says that Siobhan killed herself not that she disappeared.

True, but the official press release says she "disappears mysteriously." An earlier (from January, when the show was still CBS-slated) interview with pilot producer Peter Traugott said her sister died in a boating accident! Bridget could just be mistaken or maybe someone wanted it to seem that way. *shrugs* I'd bet the murkiness is there for a reason.

seriously, what husband isn't going to know that his wife's twin isn't his wife?

The plot description addresses this, too:

Siobhan lives what appears to be a fairy tale life - a life where no one knows that Bridget exists.

Yes, it's weird that a husband wouldn't know about his wife's twin sister, but maybe she (Siobhan) kept it that way for a reason..? Or maybe they just really were that estranged.

Geez, I've never nerded out so hard about a show before it actually came out before. *takes a good, long look at her priorities*

Edited by Kosmonaut, May 24, 2011 @ 4:30 PM.

Penny Robinson

Penny Robinson

Fanatic

Posted May 24, 2011 @ 6:06 PM

The premise sounds ridiculosu but it's SMG so I'll be there. Sarah really is a commodity, she comes with a sizable built-in fanbase. Look how many people are going to watch this just for her.

minneapple

minneapple

Stalker

Posted May 24, 2011 @ 6:08 PM

I meant her looks, her hair, her clothes, even her expression.

Her looks she can't really help. I think her expressions look totally different from Buffy. So do her clothes -- in fact in the previews, the sisters appear to have completely different looks.

Part of the problem, I think, is that Buffy was an iconic role, and SMG hasn't really had any other notable roles.

Houddy

Houddy

Stalker

Posted May 24, 2011 @ 6:21 PM

Part of the problem, I think, is that Buffy was an iconic role, and SMG hasn't really had any other notable roles.

so true. Buffy is iconic. I've seen SMG in other things, Swans Crossing, All My Children, Cruel Intentions, Scooby Do (don't judge!) some teen slasher thingy, and I think she's got as much range as can be expected. That said, she was likely hired because she's SMG, so it'd doubtful they want her to act like someone else.

I'm looking forward to the show. It's got SMG, whom I've liked since Swan's Crossing (a teen soap opera from the early 90s). As for the premise, it will either be amazingly twisty and interesting or a total train wreck. It's got a pretty strong cast so I'm hoping the writing is strong too.

Bedellia

Bedellia

Fanatic

Posted May 25, 2011 @ 6:11 AM

Spoiler alert: last 15 seconds

An extended preview of Sarah Michelle Gellar's 'Ringer'.

vb68

vb68

Stalker

Posted May 25, 2011 @ 7:01 AM

I was surprised this got passed down to the CW, a network I rarely watch, but I will try and remember to check it out.

minneapple

minneapple

Stalker

Posted May 25, 2011 @ 11:01 AM

It looks even better from the extended preview; I'm just not sure how long this premise can last.

I'm guessing that Siobhan is still alive and that she faked her death.

ETA: Oops, sorry Bedellia, somehow I didn't see that you posted the preview. I deleted the link from my post.

Edited by minneapple, May 25, 2011 @ 11:03 AM.

AuroraAustralis

AuroraAustralis

Fanatic

Posted May 25, 2011 @ 12:10 PM

The only other CW show I ever watched had a very similar title- Reaper. Hopefully this one lasts longer.

The premise does seem stupid. I've never know twins that the people who knew them couldn't tell apart from 50 yards. I'll suspend disbelief if it's otherwise good.

Something about it reminds me a bit of Dollhouse, too. Maybe just that a former slayer gets to act multiple parts.

Kosmonaut

Kosmonaut

Stalker

Posted May 25, 2011 @ 12:54 PM

The premise does seem stupid. I've never know twins that the people who knew them couldn't tell apart from 50 yards.

Like the description says, no one in Siobhan's life supposedly knows Bridget exists. It makes a bit more sense that way.

The extended preview made me even more excited. I can't believe we have to wait until fall.

ultimategirl

ultimategirl

Couch Potato

Posted May 25, 2011 @ 1:51 PM

I was initially concerned that this was going to be very Lifetime Original Movie, but, thankfully, the preview looks a lot more like a thriller. I mean, obviously the premise is ridiculous, but...Buffy. I don't care if the idea is silly as long as it's well-executed. And I like the idea that she'll be both trying to survive/live her sister's life while figuring out various mysteries about the sister.

All that said, it concerns me that the lead in to this is 90210, a show with a tiny viewership that I suspect won't overlap with Ringer's at all, and that the CW has been remarkable unsuccessful at launching shows about and aimed at adults.

Edited by ultimategirl, May 25, 2011 @ 1:52 PM.

Stalkmylife82

Stalkmylife82

Fanatic

Posted May 25, 2011 @ 1:57 PM

The premise does seem stupid. I've never know twins that the people who knew them couldn't tell apart from 50 yards.

Like the description says, no one in Siobhan's life supposedly knows Bridget exists. It makes a bit more sense that way.

Also, I don't think you can knock something because it's something one hasn't come across. There are plenty of identical twins that you wouldn't be able to tell from inches away, let alone yards. With alot of twins, how they act is how you can tell them apart.

I also hope that this show doesn't get knocked by critics the way Fringe has this past season. In the sense that, i've read many people bashing the Peter's actions for not knowing that he was dating woman that was actual a another universes version of the woman he knows. For one, I don't see how one can knock someone for not knowing something we the audience knows. It's easy to point out what Peter should have noticed in terms of differences (and he did notice them for the most part) but he told himself that it was her being in a relationship that changed her. Really, if you have no reason to doubt who the person is, there is no reason for picking apart that person for not figuring it out.

In the case of the Ringer, the husband doesn't even know the twin exists. Why would he think the twin is anyone other then the woman he loves? Even if she is different in some ways, he has no knowledge of a twin so him assuming something like that would be extremely odd in my opinion. Also, why, would he know his wife has a twin if his wife or no one else told him? if he doesn't know, he doesn't know. I don't find it odd at all.

CW has shown through Nikita that it can handle more adult shows on their network. A pairing with Nikita would have been awesome but tuesdays are a dead night for me at this point so i welcome it to tuesdays.

Clea

Clea

Video Archivist

Posted May 25, 2011 @ 2:11 PM

Also, I don't think you can knock something because it's something one hasn't come across. There are plenty of identical twins that you wouldn't be able to tell from inches away, let alone yards. With alot of twins, how they act is how you can tell them apart.

I had a co-worker who rolled up to a stoplight next to another co-worker, he smiled and waved at her and she just looked at him like he was an idiot. Turns out it was her identical twin sister. These two people work 55 hour work weeks in close proximity and often spent days off together. He knew her well. If you forget, or don't know, that there is a twin out there you don't think of it as a possibility.

Aurilly

Aurilly

Couch Potato

Posted May 25, 2011 @ 2:22 PM

I like SMG, but I'm in it for Nestor and Ioan, so today's trailer is super exciting, because it's the first one that has featured them. I like that Ioan gets to use his real accent instead of faking American. Also, I'm a big big fan of his, but lovey-dovey romance has never been his strong suit; I've never seen him sizzle with a female lead (in Horatio Hornblower, in Amazing Grace, in Fantastic Four---all really flat). So the fact that it seems like there isn't much schmoopiness in their marriage really brings out his strengths as an actor and creates a different but great kind of chemistry with SMG.

Nestor is always sexy and always has chemistry and I am even more excited to see loads and loads of good scenes between him and SMG.

It looks so good! Also a bit like The Talented Mr. Ripley.

biakbiak

biakbiak

Stalker

Posted May 25, 2011 @ 2:23 PM

In the case of the Ringer, the husband doesn't even know the twin exists. Why would he think the twin is anyone other then the woman he loves?

To further add on to that, it seems like they aren't actually in love, so they might not know each other that well or even intimately.

AuroraAustralis

AuroraAustralis

Fanatic

Posted May 25, 2011 @ 4:07 PM

How she acts is a big reason I don't think twins could fool a spouse (or a parent, like in Parent Trap movies). There would be a million clues-- she doesn't have the memories, she's different in bed, she looks a little different, talks a little different, has some different birthmarks, scars, tattoos, mannerisms, likes different foods, uses different words, has different educational background, ... and so on forever. If the sisters didn't even know each other well, one impersonating the other seems even less likely to fly. Maybe they'll give her a supposed head injury to help explain some differences or something. Or the hubby will be a new one who she hasn't even known long.

It's fiction so like I said I'll suspend disbelief if they make it a good show.

Edited by AuroraAustralis, May 25, 2011 @ 4:34 PM.

Merve

Merve

Fanatic

Posted May 25, 2011 @ 4:14 PM

The premise of this show is absolutely ridiculous, and based on the description alone, I wouldn't watch it. But the trailer looks really good, and Chuck had a ridiculous premise too and I ended up loving that show, so I'll give it a shot.