Ringer: Buffy's Back!

• Please log in to reply

4611 replies to this topic

liaso

liaso

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 11, 2012 @ 10:06 PM

Bummer. The show started slow, but I felt like it was ridiculous (in a very, very good way) at the end and I wanted to see more of it. Kind of knew if was going though. Well, this season I did better. Only two shows I watch are getting cancelled, Ringer and Awake. (Although, Awake's been slowing down and I was losing interest in it anyway, whereas my love of Ringer was growing at the end.) At least Nikita and Grimm got picked up.

ThisTime

ThisTime

Channel Surfer

Posted May 11, 2012 @ 10:15 PM

Grrr argh, indeed. I think I'll miss this forum and Cindy's recaps as much as (more than?) the show. And who could forget the monikers "Tool Belt" "Douche Planet" and "Agent Guyliner"? Who would want to? (You can keep Dash and Becks, Child Cyborgs.)

I don't think we've seen the last of SMG, and I hope Ringer at least gave the other actors enough exposure to get spots on shows that networks won't cancel because their ratings mysteriously drop after a two-month hiatus.

Nice Buffy and Andrew, make it work, okay?

bmills

bmills

Fanatic

Posted May 11, 2012 @ 10:39 PM

Okay, what do we all watch now? I mean, we watched Ringer pretending it was Buffy, so what can we watch and pretend it's Ringer? Can Cindy find a way to explain how Nick Burkhardt is really Buffy in disguise?

ElectricBoogalo

ElectricBoogalo

Stalker

Posted May 11, 2012 @ 11:22 PM

Something that only fellow Ringer fans will appreciate: I was catching up on the last few episodes of Revenge (I was out of town and wouldn't let myself watch this week's new episode until I watched the previous ones). During Daniel's trial, they kept talking about Tyler Barrol's murder and I kept thinking, "Why do they keeping calling him Tyler BARROL? His name is Tyler BARRETT!"" Then I realized I was thinking of the Tyler on Ringer (who, of course, was also murdered).

liaso

liaso

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 12, 2012 @ 12:51 AM

@bmills - If Nick is Buffy, does that make Monroe Giles? Or is he some sort of weird Giles/Xander hybrid?

I will definitely miss Cindy's recaps. At least I still have her Vampire Diaries recaps to read. But, because Ringer was so fabulously ridiculous, it gave Cindy great material to work with. Sigh...

HoneyBee

HoneyBee

Stalker

Posted May 12, 2012 @ 12:58 AM

Ugh, they renewed Whitney but cancelled this show? Boooo!

agora

agora

Fanatic

Posted May 12, 2012 @ 1:41 AM

I've just heard. I was hopeful the show would still have a fighting chance but I guess that's the last thing we saw about the Ringer twins.

Cancellation confirmed.

No surprise. Hopefully only better things to come for SMG and Ioan.

Well, at least Bridget and Andrew sorta got married before the whole thing fell apart.

Edited by agora, May 12, 2012 @ 1:43 AM.

Princess Aldrea

Princess Aldrea

Stalker

Posted May 12, 2012 @ 7:42 AM

And who could forget the monikers "Tool Belt" "Douche Planet" and "Agent Guyliner"?

What's Douche Planet?

Well, at least Bridget and Andrew sorta got married before the whole thing fell apart.

You mean the vow renewal? That was called off.

ChelseaMcQ

ChelseaMcQ

Couch Potato

Posted May 12, 2012 @ 9:18 AM

It was fun while it lasted.

I won't be surprised when Zoey Deutch gets cast on another CW show. She's very talented.

Best wishes to SMG on her pregnancy and future projects.

romantic idiot

romantic idiot

Stalker

Posted May 12, 2012 @ 9:32 AM

I'd love for ZD to show up with a good role on The Vampire Diaries and stay there for a while. Maybe she can play Klaus. I say that because that's now the only CW show I watch.

I think a part of me was sitting in a corner going la la la and hoping. Dammit, now I'm sad.

Also, KP is approaching Back!ShowKiller levels, right?

SMG, please don't let it be so long before we see you on TV again.

travelgrl

travelgrl

Channel Surfer

Posted May 12, 2012 @ 11:43 AM

So sad! Going to miss Ringer and the combination of ridiculous soapy plotlines and never-ending eye candy. I only hope that they cancelled soon enough for Andrew and Toolbelt to land somewhere else this season. SMG good luck with the new baby. Zoey will drop into another CW show with no issues. I can see her plot her way onto Gossip Girl in no time.

Cress

Cress

Stalker

Posted May 12, 2012 @ 12:55 PM

You mean the vow renewal? That was called off.

Maybe agora was counting the dream sequence wedding.

I'd prefer Zoey to not be on the Vampire Diaries, because I've given up the show as too ridiculous. But I do wish all the stars luck.

tommie

tommie

Couch Potato

Posted May 12, 2012 @ 12:56 PM

Oh well. Maybe SMG can show up on Grimm?

I hope this doesn't put her off doing more television.

RachelKM

RachelKM

Fanatic

Posted May 12, 2012 @ 1:01 PM

Sad, but I had adequately prepared myself. I got to keep Nikita, so that helps, but this still hurts a little.

ThisTime

ThisTime

Channel Surfer

Posted May 12, 2012 @ 1:43 PM

What's Douche Planet?

Alternate nickname for Henry that someone on this thread coined. I liked both it and Tool Belt so much, I couldn't choose between them!

TheSporkWielder

TheSporkWielder

Fanatic

Posted May 12, 2012 @ 2:16 PM

What's Douche Planet?

Alternate nickname for Henry that someone on this thread coined. I liked both it and Tool Belt so much, I couldn't choose between them!

Yeah, because Henry is so much MORE than just a Douchebag, if I recall that conversation correctly.

agora

agora

Fanatic

Posted May 12, 2012 @ 3:19 PM

Maybe agora was counting the dream sequence wedding.

Its better than nothing IMO.

dwmarch

dwmarch

Couch Potato

Posted May 12, 2012 @ 4:08 PM

Yeah, because Henry is so much MORE than just a Douchebag, if I recall that conversation correctly.

I came up with douche planet. Tyler called himself a douchebag but was comparing himself to Henry at the time. Hence, if Tyler is a douchebag, Henry is a douche planet.

redpencil

redpencil

Fanatic

Posted May 12, 2012 @ 5:15 PM

Well, I'm bummed, but I was prepared, so it's not really a crushing blow or anything.

I won't be surprised when Zoey Deutch gets cast on another CW show. She's very talented.

I'd love to see her on a show I'm interested in watching. Hart of Dixie is the only other CW show I watch right now, and none of the new series they picked up sound appealing to me (but that could change I suppose once I see actual trailers). I think Zoey is talented enough that she could land someone on a higher profile show on one of the other networks, but since the CW is already aware of her, it probably is more likely that she's land on one of their shows.

peggy06

peggy06

Couch Potato

Posted May 12, 2012 @ 11:45 PM

Sorry about the cancellation, but really, I don't think this was a good show. Silly, overly labyrinthine in some ways but predictably cliche in others. And the wardrobe - ugh! Distractingly bad. I only stuck with it as a fan of SMG. Personally I wish she'd do comedy for a change - it worked for Alyson Hannigan, and I think Sarah has some good comedy instincts based on Buffy. Anyway, best of luck to Sarah and everyone else involved.

Whodunnit

Whodunnit

Video Archivist

Posted May 13, 2012 @ 12:50 AM

True the show had a Bizarre wardrobe... And all the statues. Don't forget all the statues, like one of the poodle or like the one of the Eiffel Tower that Siobahn was going to brain her sister with... lol.
Sucks about the cancellation, but I guess it was kind of a given, considering SMG's pregnancy and the show's shaky status. Still, this means I have no reason to watch the CW.
Also, why is it that whenever I like a show it winds up getting cancelled... Maybe it's cause I like niche shows? Sigh. Bring on the Fanfics: Given some of the ideas I've read here--some of the people on this forum are, I suspect, coughfarcough better writers than the ones on Ringer, anyway.

Cindy McLennan

Cindy McLennan

Network Executive

Posted May 13, 2012 @ 7:17 AM

Such sad news!

I don't think SMG's pregnancy had anything to do with the cancelation. Shows work around or write in pregnancies, all the time. The ratings were terrible and the CW is struggling to stay alive. As soon as SMG is ready, I hope she'll return to the small screen. Like peggy06, I wouldn't mind seeing her in a comedy. It might be a less grueling schedule for her, too (although my understanding is that, as a producer of Ringer, she made sure the shooting schedule was super-efficient, so she wouldn't have to exhaust herself like she did on Buffy).

I hope to high heaven that Ioan is cast in something. Soon.

Thanks again, everyone, for being awesome readers and posters.

Edited by Cindy McLennan, May 13, 2012 @ 7:19 AM.

BooBear

BooBear

Couch Potato

Posted May 13, 2012 @ 10:56 AM

Sorry about the cancellation, but really, I don't think this was a good show. Silly, overly labyrinthine in some ways but predictably cliche in others.

I really liked the show (because it was so silly) but am glad about cancellation. It seemed to be running out of steam and ideas and a show like this seems only able to last about a year or so. I enjoyed all the actors so I hope they get picked up on other shows. Even tool belt cause I really loved him on "Life Unexpected."

I wish networks would start giving serious thought to 1 year series. Ie, you knew they were only going to last a year, like a mini series. Some high concept shows can only be good for a short period of time.

Imonrey

Imonrey

Stalker

Posted May 13, 2012 @ 12:07 PM

Well it was fun while it lasted, and I would like to add my thanks to Cindy for her wonderful and hilarious recaps.

I think my biggest beef about the cancellation is that because nobody on the show knew its fate as they were wrapping it up they didn't have the freedom to audition for other shows or do pilots for new shows, so most of them won't be on a show again until next year at the earliest, except for maybe guest shots.

Thena

Thena

Fanatic

Posted May 13, 2012 @ 12:27 PM

I am somewhat glad it was cancelled too. I liked the show when I watched it, but for some reason, I couldn't get truly addicted to it even with the ludicrous plots and all the great actors. This is a fabulous cast of people that I liked before (SMG, IG, Guyliner, JD, JM) and the people I hadn't seen enough of (Tool Belt, ZD, Malcolm).

I haven't even watched the last few eps but have been lurking and reading the recaps because this has been a really wonderful thread!

tvaddict1

tvaddict1

Channel Surfer

Posted May 13, 2012 @ 12:30 PM

So sad this show is cancelled. I know the cw is struggling but thiis cancellation isn't going to help it as far as I'm concerned. There are now new shows I'm planning to check out. I hope smg lands somewhere else after she give birth.

Whodunnit

Whodunnit

Video Archivist

Posted May 13, 2012 @ 3:34 PM

I guess I was thinking of the pregnancy as the last nail in the coffin... I knew this show was doomed, I was just in denial...

I guess what I really want is for at least some of that awesome cast to work with each other in the future...
Another wish of mine is that I also really want to see both SMG and Ioan on my TV screen soon, although its obvious that in SMG's case it won't be for at least another year or so...

I have a question: What other shows, I mean beside Ringer and OUAT do you or will you be recapping Cindy?

ETA: Speaking of the pregnancy, I'm actually quite happy for Sarah Michelle Geller, and her baby girl will soon have a little sibling to play with!

Edited by Whodunnit, May 13, 2012 @ 3:40 PM.

dubbel zout

dubbel zout

Stalker

Posted May 13, 2012 @ 5:54 PM

Well, I'm bummed, but I was prepared, so it's not really a crushing blow or anything.

Same here. I think the ending we got was pretty decent, considering they didn't know when they wrote it if the show would be renewed. The main mysteries were resolved enough to feel satisfying but there were enough loose ends that another season could work with.

Siobhan and Bridget needed to see each other, though.

I hope IG shows up again. I think ZD will definitely pop up on either an existing CW show or a new one. She's smack dab in the age range they use.

I wish networks would start giving serious thought to 1 year series. Ie, you knew they were only going to last a year, like a mini series. Some high concept shows can only be good for a short period of time.

NBC gave a number of its comedies renewals but much shorter episode orders (12/13 instead of double that), so maybe dramas would follow suit? I think Ringer would have worked as a limited-episode show. That way we wouldn't have needed some of the more strained plots, and they could have really amped up the nuttiness. That was my favorite part of the show.

romantic idiot

romantic idiot

Stalker

Posted May 13, 2012 @ 6:17 PM

The problem with 1 year series, I would think, is that shows make money in syndication, and they need 88 episodes for syndication, so while it is a good idea, it may not be that viable.

Re: Bridget & Siobhan - would have been good if they could have met. Since they didn't, I'll remind myself of the symmetry and leave it at that. The series started with Bridget being left out in the cold and having nowhere to go. It ended with Siobhan at that stage.

Princess Aldrea

Princess Aldrea

Stalker

Posted May 13, 2012 @ 11:37 PM

The series started with Bridget being left out in the cold and having nowhere to go. It ended with Siobhan at that stage.

Bridget's still at that stage, though, and all Siobhan has to do is call Andrew with the news about the kids and (one paternity test later) she's good.