Ringer: Buffy's Back!

• Please log in to reply

4611 replies to this topic

dubbel zout

dubbel zout

Stalker

Posted Sep 15, 2011 @ 2:10 PM

Cindy:

Now here's where not being a New Yorker is a handicap. I'm sure I'm probably supposed to recognize the venue of the event. Is it the Metropolitan Museum? Lincoln Center? New Yorkers, help a Bostonian out, would ya?

They were in the Museum of Natural History.

HoneyBee

HoneyBee

Stalker

Posted Sep 15, 2011 @ 2:14 PM

The theme of twins is not new, especially in soaps. I think I watched a Telenovela back then with the same theme, what is it... La Usurpadora. I don't understand the language, but even I know the gist. The twins switched family because the evil one blackmailing the good one for a crime she didn't commit, the good twin stayed in the evil twin's house with her family, while the evil twin was galloping around the world or something. The good twin made everyone happy; the husband suddenly loved her, the bratty kids also loved her, everyone just falling in love with her until the real evil one returns, and everyone was feeling betrayed.

I remember that show, because I watched it like crazy even when I don't understand the language. I guess evil twins plot is universal!

If this show is the same with that telenovela, I'm gonna laugh my ass off. I'm gonna enjoy it, though. Here's hoping it's different from that telenovela.

The more I watched the pilot, the more I don't hate it. LOL. Seriously, it is soap. I'm a sucker for soaps. But I agree that the pilot seems to have lots of eggs in one basket. Make an omelette with cheese.

6 Things About Ringer: (no spoiler)

1. Ringer Is Not Buffy | That’s not to say this new CW drama is not entertaining in its own right, but the differences are über-important for devotees of the slayer to know going in. “Those are big shoes to fill, so we hope we do Sarah and the Buffy legacy justice,”
2. This Story Is Not Black-and-White | “We’re a neo-noir thriller, but at the end of the day, it’s a character study about twin sisters and the nature of sibling rivalry,”
3. SMG Fans Can Count on Double the Pleasure | As indicated above, just because Siobhan goes missing in the pilot, Gellar will have plenty of double-duty to pull. “When we start the series, we’re going to be telling Bridget’s story. But we’re playing with time and perspective, so we’ll definitely see Siobhan’s side as well,”
4. These Twisted Sisters Come Loaded With Twists | The pilot episode of Ringer boasts perhaps three episodes’ worth of shocks — at least one of which has yet to be spilled in any teaser clip or promo — and there are no plans to cut back on the jaw-droppers moving forward.
5. Baze Is No More | Life Unexpected fans are in for a shock when they first encounter Kristopher Polaha’s Ringer alter ego — aka the man Siobhan is having an affair with. “Henry is not Baze at all,”
6. You’ve Got to Stay Tuned | Why? Because “just when you think you’ve figured everything out, we’re going to throw a wrench into the equation and take it on a completely different tangent,”

Yeah, yeah. We heard you the first time, this show is not BTVS.

Glory

Glory

Fanatic

Posted Sep 15, 2011 @ 2:37 PM

Just thought of something after reading the recap (thanks, Cindy!). It's possible that the coffee that Bridget got for FBI guy was drugged. She hands him the coffee then waits patiently for him to pass out (thus the bruise on his head). She drags him into the bathroom, cuffs him, and makes off with the gun.

She is in NA after all.

OR

Bridget asks FBI guy to sit with her, pretends to be scared about the trial tomorrow for a little sympathy, then grabs his gun and forces him into the bathroom.

Either way, I don't have an issue fanwanking the fact that Bridget took his gun and ran off.

cmabousaab

cmabousaab

Loyal Viewer

Posted Sep 15, 2011 @ 2:47 PM

6 Things About Ringer: (no spoiler)

1. Ringer Is Not Buffy | That’s not to say this new CW drama is not entertaining in its own right, but the differences are über-important for devotees of the slayer to know going in. “Those are big shoes to fill, so we hope we do Sarah and the Buffy legacy justice,”
2. This Story Is Not Black-and-White | “We’re a neo-noir thriller, but at the end of the day, it’s a character study about twin sisters and the nature of sibling rivalry,”
3. SMG Fans Can Count on Double the Pleasure | As indicated above, just because Siobhan goes missing in the pilot, Gellar will have plenty of double-duty to pull. “When we start the series, we’re going to be telling Bridget’s story. But we’re playing with time and perspective, so we’ll definitely see Siobhan’s side as well,”
4. These Twisted Sisters Come Loaded With Twists | The pilot episode of Ringer boasts perhaps three episodes’ worth of shocks — at least one of which has yet to be spilled in any teaser clip or promo — and there are no plans to cut back on the jaw-droppers moving forward.
5. Baze Is No More | Life Unexpected fans are in for a shock when they first encounter Kristopher Polaha’s Ringer alter ego — aka the man Siobhan is having an affair with. “Henry is not Baze at all,”
6. You’ve Got to Stay Tuned | Why? Because “just when you think you’ve figured everything out, we’re going to throw a wrench into the equation and take it on a completely different tangent,”

Yeah, yeah. We heard you the first time, this show is not BTVS.

I think they're going to have to expect a lot of comparisons between Ringer and Buffy. Seeing SMG, as far as I'm concerned she's Buffy, no matter what roles she plays. And when they have strange guys lurking in the background its hard not yell ANGEL! Except I loved Angel and Henry is no Angel. Then they also have the Principal Woods look alike who happens to be her sponsor. Well I think the comparisons will go on for a while.

That said I totally agree with them. It really isn't fair on our part to be comparing this to Buffy. Buffy was 7 seasons in the making. It didn't instantly get popular from the pilot. It took a few episodes. That should is still popular today so we have to give this show a chance and think of it as an individual show. Its kinda like if JK Rowling decided to write a new book series. More then likely if you tried comparing it to Harry Potter you'd be sorely disappointed. So I'm gonna try to put my biases away and look at this as its own show and try to stop comparing it Buffy and enjoy the show for what it is.

darkestboy

darkestboy

Stalker

Posted Sep 15, 2011 @ 3:10 PM

I just watched the episode a couple of hours ago and while it wasn't mindblowing, this is definitely a series with potential, so I'm willing to stick with it.

Sarah Michelle Gellar - always nice to have her on TV but it might have helped if this had been a two-parter and there had been equal screentime for both Bridget and Siobhan.

Bridget seemed to the sympathetic one of the two of the two but she also seems to have a dark side and I'm sure the mob will catch up with her at some point, if Siobhan doesn't get her killed.

Siobhan faking her death was spoiled by the trailers but it's interesting to see the crap she's kind of subjected Andrew, Juliet, Gemma and Henry to.

I liked Victor as a character and the sponsor guy as well. Andrew I'm lukewarm about, couldn't stand either Juliet or Henry and didn't mind Gemma at all. Was Gemma trying to get Siobhan killed?

Bridget, I hope she's not stupid enough to fake Siobhan's pregnancy throughout the series.

Interesting mystery angles with both sisters and yeah, I'll be watching this series, 7/10.

AuroraAustralis

AuroraAustralis

Fanatic

Posted Sep 15, 2011 @ 3:34 PM

perhaps SMG is simply incapable of not acting smart

I don't know, I've seen some interviews of her's from back in the Buffy days where she came off very shallow. I had to swear off them because it would ruin Buffy for me.

QueenCharisma

QueenCharisma

Fanatic

Posted Sep 15, 2011 @ 4:10 PM

Shallowness isn't the same as stupidity.

Lebanna

Lebanna

Video Archivist

Posted Sep 15, 2011 @ 4:45 PM

I kind of didn't expect to enjoy this one, but I really did. Sure it's soapy, but the writers seem to be aware of that, without going to extremes.

You can tell that there's a certain woman's touch to this show, simply by the fact that they let Ioan Gruffudd keep his Welsh accent, so that was enjoyable. Also, I felt as if Nestor Carbonell had kind of changed up his accent a bit to make it sound different from Richard Alpert. It was kind of rougher, and sounded good.

SMG looks amazing. I'm with Cindy, they really don't need to mention her weight - she's still skinny as all get out, but has a more hourglass shape these days.

I found myself feeling sorry for the bratty step-daughter. It seems like no-one in the family cares about her. I hope eventually she and fake-step-mom Bridget can somehow bond over going drug free, so that they both have some family to rely on.

I have no idea about whose son Sean was (it seems like he was Siobhan's, so I wonder if he was Bridget's somehow), or what they're playing at with the pregnancy story line. If Bridget pretends to have lost the baby, and then Siobhan shows up enormous, or with a kid, that's going to be devastating for everyone.

So I'll be watching for the next few weeks at least, hoping for answers.

AuroraAustralis

AuroraAustralis

Fanatic

Posted Sep 15, 2011 @ 4:52 PM

Shallowness isn't the same as stupidity.

Suffice it to say she didn't come off as smart, which surprised me.

DawgiesMan

DawgiesMan

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 15, 2011 @ 5:03 PM

I like the aspect of someone trying to fill the shoes of a life that everyone around her hates. Thats compelling and even though I knew the sister wasn't dead (I hadn't seen any promos to realize that -- I just need to see a dead body to believe it and even then in the world of TV that is not credible) I hadn't expected her to trick her sister into this life. Throughout the episode I had realize Siobhan is a tremendous bitch but had not realize she was a cruel mastermind. Here I thought she was being sincere with wanting to see her sister.

I see the potential everyone is talking about. Lets hope they brush up on the special effects because it was a little cringe-worthy.

Edited by DawgiesMan, Sep 15, 2011 @ 5:04 PM.

Wee S

Wee S

Video Archivist

Posted Sep 15, 2011 @ 5:47 PM

Oh guys, I have to wait to while for this to come to my Irish screen, but as a longtime Buffy fan it is already causing me slight issues in my desire to love it. First, for instance, my name is Siobhan and they are are saying it wrong! It's pronounced 'Shove-on' not "Shove-annnn" the way SMG is saying it; I was taunted as a child with the saying "Shove-on yer knickers yer ma's comin'...." (yes, my schoolmates were cruel!) and now my sister is taunting me with the SMG pronunciation and it's driving me nuts! Second, I have a brother named Sean - if a relative turns up called Claire or Theresa I'm gonna have to take a closer look at those writers! In saying all that though, I did like the look of the promos but thanks to all the reviews here I've learned to drastically lower my expectations. Just wish it would get here already!!

December13

December13

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 15, 2011 @ 5:58 PM

HoneyBee, La Usurpadora?! I loved that show. It was so fun! That telenovela is the only one I managed to watch from the start to the very end. I do hope Ringer will be nothing like La Usurpadora, although, remembering back, I do recall a certain amounts of episodes when husband discovered the switch, and the truth behind it; he, at the time was already in love with the "good twin", so he decided to "torture" her a little bit pretending that he doesn’t know who she really is. It made for a very lovely and funny scenes… I wouldn't mind if that, ie Andrew discovering Siobhan is Bridget and enjoying "the game" of taunting her, happens.
As for the photo of Sam and Siobhan, am I the only one who thought that picture is missing another half? It looked like if someone (Bridget?) was cut out or someone ripped photo's other half.

insanityproject

insanityproject

Fanatic

Posted Sep 15, 2011 @ 7:03 PM

I want to know why Bridget uses the word cool but Siobhan doesn't. Were they rich/upper middle class and Bridget slummed it? Or poor/working and Siobhan done good?

I like the aspect of someone trying to fill the shoes of a life that everyone around her hates. Thats compelling and even though I knew the sister wasn't dead (I hadn't seen any promos to realize that -- I just need to see a dead body to believe it and even then in the world of TV that is not credible) I hadn't expected her to trick her sister into this life. Throughout the episode I had realize Siobhan is a tremendous bitch but had not realize she was a cruel mastermind. Here I thought she was being sincere with wanting to see her sister.

Even if it is what is appears to be -- that Bridget is responsible for the death of Sean (presumably Siobhan's son -- Siobhan totally seems like an utter witch. Andrew is taken about by "Siobhan" showing basic politeness to him. She must be a nightmare if he finds Bridget too good to be true. And I was disgusted by Siobhan's treatment of her best friend. Not only is Gemma her pal, she's fucking designing/working on Siobhan's apartment for her. Plus the fact she'd been with Henry once, let alone a "thousand times", points to her being very messed up. I am pretty sure we are supposed to see Henry as creepy stalker asshole (and he has kids -- yikes). What does that say about Siobhan that is her type? Then there's Siobhan seeming cruelty to her stepdaughter, a girl apparently already rejected by her own mother. The cherry on top is that utterly narcissistic photo of herself in her living room. I can't believe no one told her that was a bad idea. I think Siobhan has the makings a pretty good villain.

TheSporkWielder

TheSporkWielder

Fanatic

Posted Sep 15, 2011 @ 7:45 PM

I'm really beginning to wonder about Siobhan and Andrew's marriage. Was it a love match that went cold? Was it always some sort of arrangement? ("My kid needs a mom, you want money" or something) Andrew seemed completely unnerved every time Bridget acted like a typical wife would (kissing him hello, "it's been forever," asking him to undo her dress, etc), so obviously, his relationship with Siobhan has been cold for quite some time.

Edited by TheSporkWielder, Sep 15, 2011 @ 7:55 PM.

HelenBack

HelenBack

Fanatic

Posted Sep 15, 2011 @ 7:54 PM

I want to know why Bridget uses the word cool but Siobhan doesn't. Were they rich/upper middle class and Bridget slummed it? Or poor/working and Siobhan done good?

As an astute observer recently pointed out on the Breaking Bad forum, and I have personally witnessed IRL, serious drug use tends to cause arrested development. People just kind of 'stop' at whatever stage they'd reached when they began using. I thought it was a nice touch, that Bridget might use a teenager-ish expression.

Aurilly

Aurilly

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 15, 2011 @ 8:05 PM

Andrew seemed completely floored every time Bridget acted like a typical wife would (kissing him hello, "it's been forever," asking him to undo her dress, etc), so obviously, his relationship with Siobhan has been cold for quite some time.

This is why I didn't think for a second that Andrew would ever believe the baby is his. If he's so floored by asking him to undo her dress, I just can't believe they've had sex in the past six weeks. So I was kind of shocked that he didn't seem to question it. Unless he DOES question it, and the announcement of the pregnancy was what prompted him to make that mysterious-sounding phone call about wanting out. Like, whatever the arrangement had been was fine, but this pregnancy was not okay.

Also, I wanted to love Andrew (I'm a longtime IG fan), but he's a terrible person for letting some new bitchy wife force him into sending his child to boarding school across the ocean, especially when they both already acknowledge that she doesn't have a loving mother.

I wonder if there's some significance in why Andrew wants to move. Other than a convenient place for Bridget to get attacked.

ElectricBoogalo

ElectricBoogalo

Stalker

Posted Sep 15, 2011 @ 8:23 PM

I just want to know what it said because I'm a compulsive reader. Being unable to read something written, for me, is... kind of like a compulsive eater being forced to look at a gourmet meal on the other side of an impenetrable barrier.

I'm the same way, to the point where I will pause so I can try to read stuff. I HATE when the freeze frame is too fuzzy or the print is too small.

As an astute observer recently pointed out on the Breaking Bad forum, and I have personally witnessed IRL, serious drug use tends to cause arrested development. People just kind of 'stop' at whatever stage they'd reached when they began using. I thought it was a nice touch, that Bridget might use a teenager-ish expression.

It's not just drug use that does it either. Some people unconsciously slip back into old speech/behavior patterns when they feel scared, insecure, or are reminded of that time of their lives (for a more humorous version, see HIMYM's revertigo). It's also possible that since Bridget and Siobhan aren't that old (meaning they aren't like those cliche grandparents in Boost Mobile commercials trying to use whatever phrases high school kids are using), Bridget still sees herself as young (meaning not an old fuddy duddy adult) while Siobhan has made an effort to create the image of a mature adult. For the record, I'm in my 30s and still use the word cool but have never done drugs :)

Edited by ElectricBoogalo, Sep 15, 2011 @ 8:29 PM.

HelenBack

HelenBack

Fanatic

Posted Sep 15, 2011 @ 8:30 PM

I'm the same way, to the point where I will pause so I can try to read stuff. I HATE when the freeze frame is too fuzzy or the print is too small.

And the super-fast, tiny credits! Shoved off to the side, yet - and always when you were genuinely curious about some element! Ack!

Which reminds me (in the realm of Things I've Been Meaning To Look Up), I really, really liked the scoring for this show. I've seen some complaints it was intrusive in one or two spots, but I didn't have that reaction. For me, all of it worked.

ElectricBoogalo

ElectricBoogalo

Stalker

Posted Sep 15, 2011 @ 8:37 PM

I absolutely LOATHE that cable channels have gotten away with doing that when they air movies. I need to know who played Waiter #3 because he's one of those Hey! It's That Guy guys, damn it!

As a few people mentioned earlier, using I Fall to Pieces really gave me some BtVS flashbacks but I honestly don't remember much about the rest of the music so I guess that means it wasn't too blaring (unlike some other shows).

A few weeks ago, I was staying at a hotel that had disabled the menu button on the remote control and the tv so I couldn't change the balance/settings which would normally be fine, but the tv sound was totally off. The music was about three times louder than the dialogue on every show. After flipping channels, it made me realize how many shows use way too much music. Do I really need to hear DUN DUN DUN every ten seconds on Hell's Kitchen or every Food Network show? Apparently the sound mixing people think the answer is yes. Ever since then, I've been really aware of background music when I'm watching tv. I know there were one or two moments on Ringer when I thought argh, flashbacks to that loud tv! But other than that, it was appropriate music without being overwhelming or too obvious in a shower scene from Psycho kind of way.

gmudude

gmudude

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 15, 2011 @ 10:38 PM

Just thought of something after reading the recap (thanks, Cindy!). It's possible that the coffee that Bridget got for FBI guy was drugged. She hands him the coffee then waits patiently for him to pass out (thus the bruise on his head). She drags him into the bathroom, cuffs him, and makes off with the gun.

I think you nailed it. It seems so obvious now! And it adds a little resonance to the fact that she then goes on to be drugged by her own twin sister. It's almost like they're... mirror images or something. Snerk.

bmills

bmills

Fanatic

Posted Sep 15, 2011 @ 10:41 PM

Was anybody else afraid the snitty kid sister, uh, stepdaughter was going to start shrieking, "GET OUT! GET OUT! GET OUT!" 'Cause that would have killed the whole thing for me right there.

Tarasme

Tarasme

Loyal Viewer

Posted Sep 15, 2011 @ 10:47 PM

*sigh* I really really really wanted to like this. I did. Not just to satiate my desire to revisit tv glories of old, but because Tuesday night tv currently blows and I was hoping to have something splendid waiting for me on the DVR each evening. But alas.

I'm normally not a nit-picker, for instance, all the EFX hoopla is lost on me because unless those had been paper waves she was swimming in, it wouldn't have distracted from the idiocy of "let's have drug infused drinks so I can have my bestest secret bud come get me while you sleep it off then get all panicky and take my oh so envy inducing identity that really isn't all it's cracked up to be therefore why I'm leaving. Buh bye." So it isn't the bad details that distracted me. It was that I didn't have a good time. :(

I'm trying to think of cool stuff. Hmm. Ioan did really well. Want more of him.

Okay, maybe if I complain a little more I'll be a little more ready to accept the shortcomings and try again Tuesday (cause the outlook for next Tuesday is little better than this Tuesday).

1. The damn score. Do I need to be hit over the head with some producer's idea of the most hip track every single scene? Gah.

Clipped 2-3 because I've stopped caring. :(

4. Every time a character made a comment about Fauxbahn's drug induced skinny, I couldn't help but be pulled out (not that *that* was hard) of the story and returned to all the gossip about SMG's body image issues.

Maybe I'm not cut out for this type of show. :(

dynamic17

dynamic17

Loyal Viewer

Posted Sep 16, 2011 @ 12:32 AM

This has potential, though I hope some aspects (like the dialogue) improve. Aside from being a little nicer and a little skinner, is there anything that distinguishes Bridget from Siobhan? I also think the pilot would have worked better as a 90 minute opening (66 of screentime).

It's also possible that since Bridget and Siobhan aren't that old (meaning they aren't like those cliche grandparents in Boost Mobile commercials trying to use whatever phrases high school kids are using), Bridget still sees herself as young (meaning not an old fuddy duddy adult) while Siobhan has made an effort to create the image of a mature adult. For the record, I'm in my 30s and still use the word cool but have never done drugs :)

Siobhan isn't just trying to create herself as a mature adult - she's trying to play upper-class.

I think that S and B probably came from a middle class or upper middle class background, but that S married into money. She's the trophy wife.

Aquarius121

Aquarius121

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 16, 2011 @ 1:13 AM

I think that makes a whole three of us! I think she could be kind of fun. I actually want her and Bridget to totally bond (and then break each other's hearts in some dreadful misunderstanding probably caused by Siobhan).

Yeah, I'm always for bitchy step-children with hearts of gold buried under all that "my-family-is-broken" debris, so I hope they go this route with Juliet. I'm betting Bridget will fix the whole family only to somehow destroy it all over again 'cause of Siobhan. Dreadful misunderstandings bring some of the best, most cringe-worthy (in a good way) moments of television if done right.

I also like Henry, even if I don't want him and Bridget to end up together. He does the cheating schmuck part well lol.

I'm really glad this show is getting recapped! :D

HoneyBee

HoneyBee

Stalker

Posted Sep 16, 2011 @ 2:53 AM

I do hope Ringer will be nothing like La Usurpadora, although, remembering back, I do recall a certain amounts of episodes when husband discovered the switch, and the truth behind it; he, at the time was already in love with the "good twin", so he decided to "torture" her a little bit pretending that he doesn’t know who she really is. It made for a very lovely and funny scenes… I wouldn't mind if that, ie Andrew discovering Siobhan is Bridget and enjoying "the game" of taunting her, happens.

I don't mind if Ringer is a rip-off of La Usurpadora, but surely the 'writers' would have something different in mind. It would be a waste if the show is the same, plot wise. Theme wise, I think it's the same.

As for the photo of Sam and Siobhan, am I the only one who thought that picture is missing another half? It looked like if someone (Bridget?) was cut out or someone ripped photo's other half.

I watched the scene again, no the photo was intact. It was a picture of Siobhan and Sean.

ETA: I seriously hate the score music or whatever it was. It threw me out from the scene. The pop song or whatever seemed like outta place from the noir feel they were trying to do. Like they wanted to do a noir but add a Grey's Anatomy soundtrack because it's on CW.

Edited by HoneyBee, Sep 16, 2011 @ 3:11 AM.

Strega

Strega

Network Executive

Posted Sep 16, 2011 @ 3:31 AM

Since this isn't a full forum, here's a handy link to the weecaps.

ElectricBoogalo

ElectricBoogalo

Stalker

Posted Sep 16, 2011 @ 4:04 AM

Siobhan looked a lot like Bridget in the photo: loose hair, flannelish looking shirt. I guess that was before she became a well dressed trophy wife with her hair in a bun.

Aquarius121

Aquarius121

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 16, 2011 @ 4:52 AM

I seriously hate the score music or whatever it was. It threw me out from the scene. The pop song or whatever seemed like outta place from the noir feel they were trying to do. Like they wanted to do a noir but add a Grey's Anatomy soundtrack because it's on CW.

While I agree that it screwed up the noir mood, I quite enjoyed the music. If there's one thing I can count on the CW for, it's obscure, unexpectedly scene-stealing songs. I'm starting to wonder if half the reason I loved this episode was because the pretty music distracted me from the suck. Music brings out the ADD in me.

Glory

Glory

Fanatic

Posted Sep 16, 2011 @ 7:15 AM

Was anybody else afraid the snitty kid sister, uh, stepdaughter was going to start shrieking, "GET OUT! GET OUT! GET OUT!" 'Cause that would have killed the whole thing for me right there.

As long as Buffy - er, Bridget - doesn't start stroking Juliet's pretty, pretty hair, I'll be okay.

Sarah1281

Sarah1281

Fanatic

Posted Sep 16, 2011 @ 10:15 AM

I think that S and B probably came from a middle class or upper middle class background, but that S married into money. She's the trophy wife.

The thing is, though, that she seems to have a lot of power over her husband for a trophy wife. She apparently set the tone for their entire relationship and he's just tired of it all and sick of her and yet there's no signs that he's looking to divorce her. He doesn't even seem to like her and yet she gets to send his daughter away to boarding school?