Ringer: Buffy's Back!

• Please log in to reply

4611 replies to this topic

peggy06

peggy06

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 21, 2012 @ 11:43 PM

I'm not liking the Sean storyline, and I wonder if it was really necessary to the overall plot. The sorrow and guilt from the accidental death of a child are much too real compared to the rest of the soapish goings-on. They show up the double-crosses and plots for the silly and shallow devices they are. I wish there could have been some more lurid and less painful way of estranging Bridget and Siobhan.

Losing all interest in the Juliet plot. No doubt she's putting herself into the hands of the real mastermind behind the attack on Tessa. I mean, there is nobody else, is there?

Artsda

Artsda

Fanatic

Posted Feb 21, 2012 @ 11:52 PM

The Juliet part is getting more cheap. The mother being in on it was obvious when she wanted to be a mother all of a sudden and take Juliet to Miami. I also think she's the one who had the other girl beat up and the money stolen.

Meso

Meso

Fanatic

Posted Feb 22, 2012 @ 12:09 AM

It was lovely to see Misha Collins in a different role, and he certainly went through a lot of different types of emotions in this one episode. With the Sean story finally cleared up, it shows Siobhan in an even worse light than before. First, she refused Dylan be a father seven years back. Yes, it took him two years to shape up and want to be a father, but by denying him, she was denying her son a father too. Also, while it IS devastating to lose a child and can make one practically crazy, to hold a grudge like that against Bridget when it was totally an accident with the fault not even being Dylan's or Bridget's shows that she holds grudges forever. Especially since Bridget was the one who actually looked after Sean practically all the time while Siobhan worked.

The show relies way too much on coincidences. Malcolm saw the silver keyring, remembered Bridget telling him about a silver keyring, and immediately came to the conclusion that Henry's key was that key. This doesn't happen in real life and this is what stretches belief.

After last week's promo of the Andrew/Catherine scene, I knew she was in on the scam. I wonder how much of an act Juliet has put on, also. But as to Andrew's money, it seems Catherine has taken away a chunk that Siobhan was undoubtedly after! Heh!

Is there anyone on this show who's actually a nice character? Perhaps Malcolm, but then he too has started lying about Bridget being Siobhan.

Princess Aldrea

Princess Aldrea

Stalker

Posted Feb 22, 2012 @ 12:21 AM

Is there anyone on this show who's actually a nice character? Perhaps Malcolm, but then he too has started lying about Bridget being Siobhan.

What about that war hero driver guy? Or maybe Sean's grandmother.

peggy06

peggy06

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 22, 2012 @ 12:46 AM

Also, while it IS devastating to lose a child and can make one practically crazy, to hold a grudge like that against Bridget when it was totally an accident with the fault not even being Dylan's or Bridget's shows that she holds grudges forever.

It was an accident that couldn't have happened if Bridget had followed Siobhan's instructions about what to do if Dylan showed up later. Bridget not only did not do what Siobhan asked, she went further by letting Dylan take Sean away from home. Should she hold a grudge forever? Not my place to say, but she'll feel pain forever, just as Bridget will no doubt feel guilt forever.

Princess Aldrea

Princess Aldrea

Stalker

Posted Feb 22, 2012 @ 12:50 AM

I doubt even Siobhan would have predicted that allowing Dylan to take Sean somewhere would have resulted in a freak accident like that, though. Sure Bridget didn't listen to Siobhan and she should have but at the end of the day they went for a drive and there was really no action they could have taken to prevent the driver from smashing into them. She wasn't doing anything at all dangerous with Sean and it could have happened at any time.

I really want Bridget to tell Andrew about Sean.

Why does the preview show a picture of Tyler up along with Henry and Andrew as the potential father of Siobhan's baby? They hadn't even had sex yet when Siobhan found out she was pregnant.

I'm also worried about what Henry plans to do with Malcolm who, once again, proved he's practically a saint.

LakeGal

LakeGal

Fanatic

Posted Feb 22, 2012 @ 1:11 AM

I found myself hoping that it would be anyone but her mother at the end with Juliet. I wanted to be surprised by who was in charge. But the show disappointed me and was predictable.

I am at the point that I can't believe Bridget has not figured out that Shiv is still alive.

Meso

Meso

Fanatic

Posted Feb 22, 2012 @ 1:17 AM

What about that war hero driver guy? Or maybe Sean's grandmother.

Yes, to those two, but perhaps just because we haven't seen enough of them. If they turn up more often, who knows what twists await to turn them morally grey? Lol.

It was an accident that couldn't have happened if Bridget had followed Siobhan's instructions about what to do if Dylan showed up later. Bridget not only did not do what Siobhan asked, she went further by letting Dylan take Sean away from home. Should she hold a grudge forever? Not my place to say, but she'll feel pain forever, just as Bridget will no doubt feel guilt forever.

Accidents by their very nature can happen anywhere, anytime. If Dylan had taken Siobhan to court as he was planning, gained partial custody, and then the accident happened while Sean was with Dylan, I am sure she would've blamed Dylan then too, but no way she would've had her way of reporting him to the police if he took Sean away for the day. As for holding a grudge forever, she has done that, and in the process, has become so twisted that she really can't find happiness with anyone, only using people over and over. Others have moved on, only she hasn't. In the end scene with Dylan, Bridget let go of her guilt by recognizing it was an accident, and her only "fault" had been to let Sean and his dad spend a fun day together. By recognizing that Sean's death was not really her fault, Bridget for the first time, wanted to be known as Bridget again - finally she stopped running from her past and guilt.

bmills

bmills

Fanatic

Posted Feb 22, 2012 @ 1:19 AM

Wow. Buffy's car gets T-boned again. More tainted band candy?

Running soap opera cliche checklist: coma, check.

My feeling, just a guess based on a subjective interpretation of the actor's performance, is that Andrew is not a criminal. Of course, there really is some secret about his business. Everybody has a secret on this show. I just don't think it's shadey business practices. Ioan Gwhatever plays the character as harried rather than evil.

The show relies way too much on coincidences.

Such as Bridget driving from NYC to somewhere in New Jersey just in time to see the flowers delivered, and Malcolm arriving just in time to stop the brick.

I can't figure out why I like this show so much, but I do.

Princess Aldrea

Princess Aldrea

Stalker

Posted Feb 22, 2012 @ 1:20 AM

So what kind of a job did to Siobhan have pre-millionaire's wife?

Logan is making me feel somewhat sorry for him again even though I shouldn't because he is a lying asshole. I wonder what his plan for Tessa would have been? Did he call Catherine? How did she know? I am worried, though, that Catherine will go after him as well. I hope Tessa survives because no matter how immoral and obnoxious she is, she's seventeen. Her foster mother is terrible.

Edited by Princess Aldrea, Feb 22, 2012 @ 1:21 AM.

redpencil

redpencil

Fanatic

Posted Feb 22, 2012 @ 2:50 AM

Andrew IS a crook, huh? I knew it I suppose, but I still hoped it was mostly Olivia.

I don't think we know either way. We don't know if Siobhan's evidence is real or factual. Even if it is, it could still be Olivia behind everything.

The show relies way too much on coincidences. Malcolm saw the silver keyring, remembered Bridget telling him about a silver keyring, and immediately came to the conclusion that Henry's key was that key. This doesn't happen in real life and this is what stretches belief.

It's a pretty distinctive key chain. I don't think it's beyond credulity that if Henry, someone Malcolm knows was connected to Siobhan, has a similar looking key that he might assume it's the same key. And it's also possible that Henry may have flashed it on purpose, hoping that Bridget would have told him about the key.

Cress

Cress

Stalker

Posted Feb 22, 2012 @ 3:28 AM

Was that the first time that Henry ever met Malcolm? I can't remember. It seemed like a first time meeting, but then later Henry mentioned Malcom to Siobhan, and that doesn't seem like something you'd mention, if you just think Malcolm is a random new guy working there. I know Siobhan knows about Malcolm from when she got Charlie/John to let Malcolm stay at his apartment, but when did she ever mention Malcolm to Henry?

I'm getting confused.

Edited by Cress, Feb 22, 2012 @ 3:29 AM.

bmills

bmills

Fanatic

Posted Feb 22, 2012 @ 3:41 AM

Oh yeah. Does anybody have any idea how Carpenter might have transfered millions of dollars of Andrew's former money to the girls who accused him of rape, without anyone noticing? I was amused that the conspirators were worried about Tessa spending the money might give them away, as if there would not have already been traceable banking records created when Carpenter gave them the money in the first place.

I'm getting confused.

You're not the only one, but didn't they meet when Henry got the cops involved in Gemma's ransom thingy?

dwmarch

dwmarch

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 22, 2012 @ 3:48 AM

Juliet can be such a ditz sometimes. She thinks Mr. C beat the crap out of her "friend" and put her in a coma so she goes to confront him... in her high-heeled FM boots! Juliet, if this show was a horror movie you'd be the first victim.

Bridget is a little daft too. "I want to tell everyone I'm Bridget!" How did that go the first time you tried it, Bridge?

I liked the Sean reveal and it's about time. I think it was handled well in that I would personally find it hard to root for a main character who killed a child through drunken/drugged negligence. Accidents can cause recriminations like these and I think Siobhan's anger is entirely justified- her child was supposed to be home sleeping. Instead he's killed because her sister didn't listen to her and call the cops on the baby daddy.

I can totally picture Malcolm phone-stalking Bridget while pretending to work at Martin-Charles. But how did he intuit that she was going to throw that brick? "Aw, shit! She's headed to Jersey! The only reason she could be going there is to smash windows! I'd better hurry!"

The whole falling apart of Juliet's scheme (or Catherine's scheme I guess) is kind of silly. Why should Juliet care what Tessa says or does? Worst case scenario: Tessa flashes bling and gets caught by the IRS or something. She blabs the whole byzantine plot. Everyone looks at her and says "bitch is crazy!" End of story. If only Juliet knew how to relax.

Cress

Cress

Stalker

Posted Feb 22, 2012 @ 4:12 AM

didn't they meet when Henry got the cops involved in Gemma's ransom thingy?

I don't remember that, but I didn't keep old episodes. So Andrew doesn't know that Malcolm and Henry met, and that's why he introduced them at the office?

But how did he intuit that she was going to throw that brick? "Aw, shit! She's headed to Jersey! The only reason she could be going there is to smash windows! I'd better hurry!"

I assumed that he thought she might have been kidnapped by whoever is trying to kill Siobhan. He doesn't know of any particular reason for Bridget to be out in New Jersey, so when he saw the GPS of her phone out there, that's why he came after her.

Bobbwin

Bobbwin

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 22, 2012 @ 4:27 AM

Siobhan's texts to Henry were hilarious. They text like pre-teenage girls. But the really funny part of the episode was when Bridget was flashing back at the dinner table, and the flashback is interrupted by Juliet saying "you were staring at me, it was creepy." This show is unintentionally funny at times.

But the last few episodes have been moving at a much slower pace than the ones before the hiatus. Pick it up guys, show us where this is all going. The Juliet/Carpenter story is getting way too much airtime for such a tangential plot, when there are plenty of other interesting plots that are being sidelined.

redpencil

redpencil

Fanatic

Posted Feb 22, 2012 @ 5:15 AM

Juliet can be such a ditz sometimes. She thinks Mr. C beat the crap out of her "friend" and put her in a coma so she goes to confront him... in her high-heeled FM boots! Juliet, if this show was a horror movie you'd be the first victim.

I didn't get the impression that she went to meet him. I thought he intercepted her, wanting to talk about what happened to Tessa.

As for Henry and Malcolm, I don't recall them having met before, but I just assumed Siobhan had told him.

Edited by redpencil, Feb 22, 2012 @ 5:15 AM.

HoneyBee

HoneyBee

Stalker

Posted Feb 22, 2012 @ 7:18 AM

I thought this was a good dramatic episode. No Macawi, FBI, and all those things. Yes, everyone KNEW that it was Catherine. Come on! I had a little dance after the episode. My friend looked at me and said, "How did you know?! I am shocked!" Well, I couldn't say that I cheated by watching Wild Things. Carpenter is just another pawn of Catherine. Either Carpenter is in cahoots with Catherine, or she hired someone else (Guyliner?) to beat up Tess and robbed her.

My guess.........Carpenter is going to DIAF because Catherine is greedy and there's no way she shares.

I actually got teary when Dylan and Bridget had their little scene and had their peace. That was a good scene.

I laughed when I saw Henry reading a BOOK. I dunno why, but I thought of him as a tool, so when he READS, I just laughed. And then those text messages from Siobhan:

"DID U GET THE $?"
"U NEED 2 GET ON TOP OF MALCOLM."

Or something like that, but I grinned.

I didn't FF any scene, which is means I really liked it, hohoho.

Edited by HoneyBee, Feb 22, 2012 @ 7:19 AM.

Amery19

Amery19

Loyal Viewer

Posted Feb 22, 2012 @ 7:31 AM

I'm wondering if the reason why Henry is so attractive to Shiv is that he physically resembles Dylan and she got pregnant with Henry's child in the hopes of replacing Sean.

Where did she get that brick? Who has bricks just lying around their front yard? Or did Bridget bring the brick with her?

I was actually totaling hoping that it was Siobhan meeting Juliet at the end, rather than the mother.

For me, there was one too many car crashes tonight since I saw Ringer after Glee, which also had a horrific car crash. Made me glad I was sitting home on my couch last night!

I laughed when I saw Henry reading a BOOK. I dunno why, but I thought of him as a tool, so when he READS, I just laughed.

Isn't Henry supposed to be a published author? My guess is that he's such a narcissist that he was reading his own book. Again.

Edited by Amery19, Feb 22, 2012 @ 7:32 AM.

HoneyBee

HoneyBee

Stalker

Posted Feb 22, 2012 @ 8:16 AM

Oh yeah, I totally forgot that he's a writer. See, I don't buy him as a writer. So that's why I laughed when he's actually reading.

Bridget found a brick in the front yard. It seems like a loosen brick from a walking path or something.

JodithGrace

JodithGrace

Fanatic

Posted Feb 22, 2012 @ 8:28 AM

I wish I understood Shiv's motivations. Obviously, she and Bridget had a tough life, growing up, and things weren't easy for them 7 years ago. But somehow, after the Sean tragedy, Shiv ends up in a pot of jam! She has the world's richest husband, who's also handsome, a fabulous apartment, a closet full of expensive (though occasionally ugly) clothing and a built in family. So why has she been determined to throw it away with both hands? She cheats on her husband, plots secret deals behind his back, alienates her step daughter and is a general bitch to everyone. Why? Does she need more money, more clothes? If she had just been happy with her life, none of this would have happened. Bridget's story makes sense to me..Shiv's does not. There must be large pieces that we are still missing.

Cindy McLennan

Cindy McLennan

Network Executive

Posted Feb 22, 2012 @ 8:36 AM

You guys nailed it again, with the Catherine prediction. Nice job! The recaplet has been submitted. It should go live soon.

This is the first episode since the hiatus that felt fun, while I was watching. I hope a few more people tuned in this week.

eta...

I agree JodithGrace. There have to be large missing pieces of Shiv's story (or at least, there should be).

Edited by Cindy McLennan, Feb 22, 2012 @ 8:38 AM.

ElectricBoogalo

ElectricBoogalo

Stalker

Posted Feb 22, 2012 @ 9:08 AM

Frankly, considering how evil she is and knowing that Dylan was beaten up by a bunch of thugs to leave town, I wouldn't be surprised if Shiv hired someone to crash into Dylan's car to get rid of him and that's the real reason why didn't want him near Sean. Because she was planning his death the moment he showed up in Tahoe.

Ooh, that would mean Siobhan has been even sneakier for even longer than I thought! I think I would love if that were the case.

For me, there was one too many car crashes tonight since I saw Ringer after Glee, which also had a horrific car crash. Made me glad I was sitting home on my couch last night!

Same here - I watched Glee and then Ringer so I thought DUDE, what is with the car crashes tonight?! Even though I saw both of them coming a mile away, the sound of the impact made me gasp both times.

Isn't Henry supposed to be a published author? My guess is that he's such a narcissist that he was reading his own book. Again.

HA! It's funny because it's probably true! You know if that's his book he's reading, he's probably patting himself on the back after every sentence and thinking how awesome every word and comma was.

One nitpick I had for this episode was that the funeral allegedly took place in Tahoe but I've never seen any palm trees up there, so they should have found a palm tree-free cemetery for that scene.

When Juliet whipped out her phone to call her co-conspirator, I thought ooh, I hope it's Siobhan! I couldn't believe how excited I got at the thought of it. I was actually disappointed when it turned out to only be her mom. I guess I have vastly underestimated how much I enjoy her eeeeeevilness.

okiedohkiepokie

okiedohkiepokie

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 22, 2012 @ 9:13 AM

Great episode. I will admit, I am biased - but I thought these last few episodes since the hiatus have been pretty great. I like the way the plot is moving as well as the random humor peppered around.

I know the writers get a lot of hate - there are a lot of random goofs and sometimes the writing could just use a shot of adrenaline - but I think the "mystery," or at least their method of placing clues and context, is actually pretty good. It reminds me somewhat of the first season of Desperate Housewives, where the main plot moves slowly with a nice nugget every few episodes.

A few concerns, however - last episode (1x13), when Bridget saw a picture of Charlie/John and spoke to the chauffeur, who said that she knew him, how did Bridget go immediately to "someone else is trying to kill me?" How did she reconcile meeting Charlie and hearing that Siobhan met with him? Also, was Siobhan standing in a pile of chalk or something? Little things like that kill me. The show can do something so right, and then does something totally boneheaded.

I too, was expecting Juliet to be talking to Siobhan last night. I was relieved actually, to see it was her mother. I almost thought it was going to be her father. I enjoyed the twist. Juliet (Zoey Deutch?) is a great actress, gorgeous, and very young. I wonder if SMG is intimidated or jealous at all. (Don't get me wrong, I love me some SMG). I think SMG has definitely grown in the role.

Also, I'm trying to wrap my head around the whole "I want to be Bridget" speech she gave. Is she saying she wants to come clean about being Siobhan to Juliet and Andrew? Wouldn't that usurp the whole premise of the show -- well, I suppose they could find out at the end of the first season. Maybe season 2 will have them working together to outsmart Macawi or something.

Sadly, I worry that the show will not get a second season. I really hope last night's episode had an uptick in viewers. They are airing 6 in a row, I hope these next few have an increase or else it's towards the cancellation bear we go. Last week's episode has a paltry 1.10 million viewers.

Kosmonaut

Kosmonaut

Stalker

Posted Feb 22, 2012 @ 10:01 AM

The forgiveness scene really touched me. I actually cried. Does that make me pathetic given how wonderfully cheesy this show ususally is?

I don't want to think about the show getting cancelled. I just want to plug my ears and go lalalalala.

Bunny LaJoya

Bunny LaJoya

Fanatic

Posted Feb 22, 2012 @ 10:07 AM

Okay, my one complaint about the show -- that damn opening! Instead of an annoying song, they play SMG saying the same lines over and over. It's episode 14! We've heard it at least 14 times! Every time the opening is on I mock SMG saying "If Ottaway wants me dead, I'm dead.

Anyway. Sad thing is, if you guys never told me about Wild Things I bet there's no way I would have known that it was Catherine at the end. But because of that, the reveal had zero impact. That's pretty funny.

Zoey Deutch is a fantastic actor. I love the fact that Lea Thompson is her mom.
Also, the music in this episode was top-notch. I loved every song.

I thought it was over the top stupid that Carpenter and Juliet would meet in public. That makes no sense.
I thought it was over the top stupid that Tessa would run around with that car right after the assault thing, but at least the show admitted it (she's beautiful by the way).
I thought it was stupid that Henry showed Malcom that key (even though it seems by accident). Henry, adorable but stupid.

I think I missed the entire "brick" thing. When SMG went to confront Dylan, I thought it was Siobhan, not Bridget. I don't understand why Bridget would even do that. I'm confused by that entire thing.

ElectricBoogalo

ElectricBoogalo

Stalker

Posted Feb 22, 2012 @ 10:12 AM

Bridget was still angry at Dylan because Sean's death cost her the two things she loved most: Sean and Siobhan. If you watch the scene where Dylan comes to the apartment to return the flowers Siobhan sent to his mother, almost everything Bridget said was heartfelt and applicable to both Bridget and Siobhan: "You cost me everything that ever meant anything to me."

Cindy McLennan

Cindy McLennan

Network Executive

Posted Feb 22, 2012 @ 10:12 AM

The recaplet is up. I hope you enjoy it.

A few concerns, however - last episode (1x13), when Bridget saw a picture of Charlie/John and spoke to the chauffeur, who said that she knew him, how did Bridget go immediately to "someone else is trying to kill me?" How did she reconcile meeting Charlie and hearing that Siobhan met with him?

From Bridget's point of view, someone was trying to kill Siobhan. Remember back in one of the first episodes, maybe the pilot, where Bridget ended up shooting that guy in the Martins' loft? In 1-13, when she sees Charlie/John's picture at the shooting range, she wonders if (since he also kidnapped and killed Gemma) he was the guy behind the attempt on Bridget-as-Shiv's life. So, in her Shiv persona, she asks Solomon about Charlie/John and learns Shiv was buddies with Charlie/John. That means that whoever was behind the attempted hit on Bridget-as-Shiv is still out there.

So, Charlie/John knew Shiv and was her friend. And yet, when Bridget first met Charlie/John at NA, he introduced himself, that is -- he he must have known she isn't Shiv, and he must have known Shiv has a twin, but he acted like he believed Bridget when she claimed to be Shiv.

Tralah

Tralah

Video Archivist

Posted Feb 22, 2012 @ 10:13 AM

The forgiveness scene really touched me. I actually cried. Does that make me pathetic given how wonderfully cheesy this show ususally is?

If you're pathetic, I'm pathetic too. I thought that scene was incredibly moving. Both actors did a great job with it.

ElectricBoogalo

ElectricBoogalo

Stalker

Posted Feb 22, 2012 @ 10:20 AM

I thought Misha Collins really played that scene well. As soon as she said she forgave him, it was like a weight had been lifted off his shoulders. He'll never stop feeling guilty but at least he no longer carries the burden of knowing that Siobhan hates him for it. He tried to hold it together and then his face started to crumble. Nice work. The acting really sold it for me.