3-7: "Date Night" 2011.05.18 (recap)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

119 replies to this topic

TWoP Nikita

TWoP Nikita

Fanatic

Posted May 18, 2011 @ 10:07 PM

From Zap2it:

The chefs must use each of their five senses to identify mystery ingredients; the chefs must create dishes that reflect different stages of the couple's relationship.

Sorry the thread is late. It completely slipped my mind.

swankie

swankie

Stalker

Posted May 18, 2011 @ 10:16 PM

I wonder how they came about choosing Chris and Victoria. Should I know who they are? I couldn't keep myself interested in this episode for some reason. I don't even remember the quickfire. I think I'll watch it again and maybe something will stand out to make this show enjoyable again.

kiki1234

kiki1234

Couch Potato

Posted May 18, 2011 @ 10:19 PM

That's going to have to be marked down as a warning.

I sure am glad Hugh didn't go home. He's about the only thing that makes it worthwhile to watch the show. I was disappointed in his 'cooking down to the masses' attitude though.

I didn't get Floyd's dish at all.

Catgirl14

Catgirl14

Couch Potato

Posted May 18, 2011 @ 10:23 PM

Wow, I haven't watched this show in awhile, but when did it start to get so boring. I had absolutely no interest in the riveting love between Chris and Victoria. They seemed like a nice couple with dull tastes. There was never any doubt in my who was going home either, even with the heavy handed need to focus on Traci's non bakery self. They need to keep Hugh for the laughs, and Curtis is really boring as a host. I can't believe I use to like Curtis before he started to appear on my TV hawking a lot of gunk, now I dread his ever utterance.

carmelized

carmelized

Fanatic

Posted May 18, 2011 @ 10:23 PM

I don't know what Hugh was thinking with those "pedestrian" comments, but he should have kept them to himself. They all looked pretty shocked, and I thought they were going to boot him for that alone. Hugh's snark can be funny, and he's been growing on me, but that was fairly thoughtless of him. Even if the couple don't have the most refined culinary tastes he's ever encountered, did he forget that his comments were going to be aired and they'd hear them?

Maybe they're getting to the point where sleep deprivation is really setting in, but Naomi really got extra snappy this episode. I did enjoy seeing pictures of the chefs' spouses, and hearing how they met their loves.

Edited by carmelized, May 18, 2011 @ 10:24 PM.

nannerbadnanner

nannerbadnanner

Couch Potato

Posted May 18, 2011 @ 10:28 PM

I sure am glad Hugh didn't go home. He's about the only thing that makes it worthwhile to watch the show. I was disappointed in his 'cooking down to the masses' attitude though.

The dude said in the interview that he couldn't tell the difference between salmon and chicken so I probably wouldn't have wanted to cook anything too refined for him either. Then again, I love The Hughnibrow so I don't want to think badly of him.

This show was pretty boring, but it did have some good moments. I loved Naomi's comment, "So then I saw Mary Sue throwing the top of her thumb in the trash" and hearing about Gael Greene's one hour fling with Elvis.

Edited by nannerbadnanner, May 18, 2011 @ 10:30 PM.

peregrined

peregrined

Just Tuned In

Posted May 18, 2011 @ 10:30 PM

So---Gael Greene DID sleep with Elvis, right?

I can't believe I just typed that---

Kathira

Kathira

Couch Potato

Posted May 18, 2011 @ 10:32 PM

Was it just me, or was the groom really tiny? Curtis loomed over him like the Jolly Green Giant, and even the bride was considerably larger. Dude was positively elfin.

I'm glad that Traci dodged a bullet on that one. She's my favorite for the win. I am surprised that Celina got sent home, though. It seemed like her food was reasonably tasty, just not "cohesive." I'm sure they edit these things to keep you guessing as to the outcome, but that just seemed off to me.

I also loved Mary Sue's nonchalance about cutting the tip of her thumb off, considering the histrionics we've seen on the other Top Chef shows. She mostly just seemed annoyed by it.

Edited by Kathira, May 18, 2011 @ 10:34 PM.

carmelized

carmelized

Fanatic

Posted May 18, 2011 @ 10:34 PM

Mary Sue really took that cut like a champ! Floyd's little comment about "needing some Indians" was really cute, especially with the look on his face as he said it.

absolutelyido

absolutelyido

Couch Potato

Posted May 18, 2011 @ 10:35 PM

I had absolutely no interest in the riveting love between Chris and Victoria. They seemed like a nice couple with dull tastes.

ITA. I had no interest in this guy, his girlfriend, or their mothers. I just wanted them to go away. Like Hugh, I was mostly annoyed at this guy's need for PDA by proposing on TV. The only thing more boring than their table conversation was watching the mothers, the chef's, and the judges comment on it. I finally put my TV on mute because I couldn't take it.

kiki1234

kiki1234

Couch Potato

Posted May 18, 2011 @ 10:40 PM

and hearing about Gael Greene's one hour fling with Elvis.

That was a pretty cool story. Slutty but cool. He He.

What was with Curtis asking who Gail thought was going to get lucky. Wsn't there something else they could have discussed on their 'date'?

Chris' voice was so annoying. It sounded like he was sucking on helium and I cringed everytime he opened his mouth. Elfin is a good description.

Auntie Anxiety

Auntie Anxiety

Fanatic

Yawn. Is it over yet?

The show sucked in its first iteration and somehow or other, this season is even more dull. Wake me when I can go back to watching something interesting on Wednesdays on Bravo.

Fukui San

Fukui San

Fanatic

Mary Sue Milliken is gangsta, cutting off the tip of her thumb and her reaction is a casual "Darn. That's annoying." Jamie from Top Chef original should hang her head in shame.

Food was OK. Everything was competent, nothing seemed extraordinary, which is probably the case when you get people who don't seem adventurous as your client. I wonder which were their three favorite courses?

Quickfire was fun, upping the usual blindfold taste test with smell and hearing tests.

methespy

methespy

Couch Potato

Posted May 18, 2011 @ 10:43 PM

I had no interest in this guy, his girlfriend, or their mothers. I just wanted them to go away. Like Hugh, I was mostly annoyed at this guy's need for PDA by proposing on TV.

Seriously, is this what women are supposed to want? I ask this, because as a woman, my only impulse was to want to beat the snot out of the little, desperate twerp. I would rather grow up to be a crazy cat lady than date a sniveling little twerp like that. That little twerp was so awful that his mere existence distracted me the entire episode. The only other thing I can recall is that no one, even a master chef, should serve a hot pretzel and salad together. It's just wrong.

aemilia

aemilia

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 18, 2011 @ 10:45 PM

I had to hold my breath because I thought they were going to send Hugh home for his comments. But they didn't, so that's ok. I didn't like Hugh's comments, though. I thought they were too crass for his audience.

I have felt that Celina has been treading water for a while. I'm not surprised she went home tonight.

I hated seeing Traci slip up. I really like her and want her to go far. I want a woman to win this.

basiltherat

basiltherat

Couch Potato

Posted May 18, 2011 @ 10:46 PM

Chris was very self-confident for a wee fellow. Good for him.
I love me some Hughnibrow, but that cooking down comment should have gotten him chopped at that second. I don't think our darling Hubert would ever opine such.
Somehow, I picture Gael at the age she is today with a young Elvis and it makes me shudder. I can imagine her with Oselund better.
I am so loving Floyd that I thought for sure he would win. He's got a great sense of humor -- gentler that snarky Hugh, but still a clever fellow. Go, Floyd!

swankie

swankie

Stalker

Posted May 18, 2011 @ 10:52 PM

The only thing more boring than their table conversation was watching the mothers, the chef's, and the judges comment on it. I finally put my TV on mute because I couldn't take it.

The whole time after the mother's were introduced I kept thinking that the last thing I want for the most romantic moment in my life is my mother looming in on every detail. Don't get me wrong, I loved my mother, but in romantic moments that will ultimately lead to hot butt naked sex, having mom there is kind of a buzz kill.

kiki1234

kiki1234

Couch Potato

Posted May 18, 2011 @ 10:53 PM

I loved the QF. Hugh kicked butt. I was puzzled why Mary Sue guessed celery when they'd already used it. I guess it was just the heat of the competition. I didn't like Naomi being snotty about guessing the rice krispies but that's probably because I dislike her so much. She sure can cook though, I'll give her that.

biakbiak

biakbiak

Stalker

Posted May 18, 2011 @ 10:56 PM

I was puzzled why Mary Sue guessed celery when they'd already used it.

I bet my hat that her incorrect guess of celery was actually first and that it was also the last of the challenges hence Mary Sue (jokingly) insisting she wanted to see an instant replay.

Edited by biakbiak, May 18, 2011 @ 10:56 PM.

SpeciousLogic

SpeciousLogic

Fanatic

Posted May 18, 2011 @ 11:02 PM

Stupid elves. First I was convinced Celina was top 3 (after the dining room comments), then even after the judges comments, I was sure she was the only one safe. They had far fewer bad things to say about her food than either of the other two, just "they were great food, they didn't go great together". That kind of editing just makes it all look like shenanigans to me, where they decided to break their own rules to send home someone based on previous history rather than the current episode's dishes.

Since TC:M has now, in every respect, become a clone of the worst aspects of TC, I'm checking out. I have no interest in continuing to be completely misled throughout the episode only to get the "Ha-ha, gotcha!" at the end. Fuck you, Bravo elves.

Joan21

Joan21

Channel Surfer

Posted May 18, 2011 @ 11:17 PM

Ha - speaks volumes about how lame and forgettable this season is.

kiki1234

kiki1234

Couch Potato

Posted May 18, 2011 @ 11:52 PM

I bet my hat that her incorrect guess of celery was actually first and that it was also the last of the challenges hence Mary Sue (jokingly) insisting she wanted to see an instant replay.

Sorry, you lost me.

The dude said in the interview that he couldn't tell the difference between salmon and chicken so I probably wouldn't have wanted to cook anything too refined for him either.

I just watched it again and what he said was that his girlfriend fixed him salmon and told him it was chicken and when he realized it was salmon he said something about her trying to trick him. He didn't mention when he realized it was salmon so I'm going to cut him a break. They didn't have real sophisticated tastes but neither do I. I would have wanted a caesar salad, cheesecake, lobster, broccoli cheese soup, and maybe some sort of asparagus appetizer. I know it was hard for the chefs to make something spectacular from such a simple list but that was part of the challenge. I still like Hugh. He's a funny guy.

Lisette

Lisette

Fanatic

Posted May 19, 2011 @ 12:11 AM

The dude said in the interview that he couldn't tell the difference between salmon and chicken so I probably wouldn't have wanted to cook anything too refined for him either. Then again, I love The Hughnibrow so I don't want to think badly of him.

Yes and Yes! I've really grown to enjoy Hugh--so glad they brought him back. Without him, this would be a complete snoozefest.

I don't understand how Curtis, who really is so handsome, doesn't hold my attention at all on this show. I'd rather see what Padma's wearing, and I never thought I'd say that.

Quilt Fairy

Quilt Fairy

Fanatic

Posted May 19, 2011 @ 12:28 AM

I'm seeing a show die right before my eyes. What a mess.

I actually heard Curtis Stone ask if James Oseland was 'going to get some' with Gael Greene later. WTF? And the editors left that in. This comes after the weird flirting in the drive-thru last week. I cannot fathom what NBC/Bravo sees in this idiot.

BravesChick2001

BravesChick2001

Couch Potato

Posted May 19, 2011 @ 1:16 AM

How is it that that Victoria chick doesn't realize she's her fiancÚ's beard?!

Edited by TWoP Nikita, May 19, 2011 @ 7:38 AM.
off-topic

nanobabes

nanobabes

Couch Potato

Posted May 19, 2011 @ 2:37 AM

I hate to be so shallow, but that girl seemed way out of that little dude's league. Even aside from looks, there was just something so desperately awkward about him. I kept shouting at him from the couch to sit up, he was slouched down like a little boy throughout the entire dinner. It's like he literally didn't have a backbone. And since I'm not very romantic, him rambling about their little memories made me want to barf. And I totally believe that he would mistake salmon for chicken, as ridiculous as that sounds. If you're not that knowledgeable about food, then you might not as easily be able to distinguish between proteins. Plus, maybe she dressed up the salmon in a deceptive way.

I don't blame Hugh for his attitude towards the couple's palates. I mean the guy had to be *tricked* into trying salmon, and did he say he's *never* had shellfish? (Why pick this couple for a TC challenge, anyway? Why not a foodie couple who would really appreciate what master chefs can do? What a waste.) I do think Hugh could have been more diplomatic about it, but I like his candor. "Cooking down to" and "pedestrian" sounds really condescending, but really, they're just cooking to the customers' tastes. One of my friends is super picky and lives on food you find on a kids menu. If I were to make her a special dinner, I wouldn't make her sushi (not that I can anyway). You might want people with "pedestrian" taste buds to try something new, but not make it their only selection. It's sort of like Savir forcing veggie burgers on someone who's looking forward to a bacon cheeseburger.

Despite the lack of heavy criticism, I was pretty sure Celina was going home. There was absolutely no thought process behind that dish; it was on the extreme end of being straight forward. I didn't see that as "playful" at all. I saw it as a salad, and oh hey, someone misplaced a pretzel on this plate.

It was nice having the Gail/Gaels judge, they're so refreshing to see after enduring the regular critics. Neither of them try too hard, are professional, but are not too uptight. Also, Gael cracks me up.

ThatPoshGirl

ThatPoshGirl

Stalker

Posted May 19, 2011 @ 2:58 AM

I thought Chris looked like a caricature of a caricature of Bob Hope.

I'm liking Hugh more and more. I hope he goes all the way. What a great redemption arc after being the first cut.

UpDawg

UpDawg

Channel Surfer

Posted May 19, 2011 @ 6:36 AM

When I first saw it was a “Date Night” entitled episode, I groaned at the thought of the whole Curtis and Danyelle flirting fiasco coming up again… thank freaking goodness she wasn’t there. Speaking of which, it was a nice change to see Gael Green back on my screen. Makes me sad that the days of the original Top Chef Masters are long gone. I must admit though, this was one of the better Season 3 episodes. But that’s not saying much.

Onto the actual food portion of the show however, I thought the quickfire was pretty fun to watch. I thought they were going to sabotage the Masters with all the sense restraints but it wasn’t as bad as I had initially assumed. Hugh has been quite funny and I’m glad he came back. Which brings me to the eliminations…whoa! Even though what he said was harsh, I am happy (in a twisted sense, I guess) that Hugh snapped back at Curtis. Ugh… as good looking as he may be, it doesn’t make up for the fact that he is a terrible addition to the show. It was Celina’s time though so I’m glad Hugh got to stay. Shut up, Curtis!

And damn, Naomi is sweeping this competition.

Edited by TWoP Nikita, May 19, 2011 @ 7:39 AM.
off-topic

JodithGrace

JodithGrace

Fanatic

Posted May 19, 2011 @ 7:18 AM

First of all, the QF was really fun. I felt sorry for Floyd, being thrown off by claustrophobia. And water chestnuts were really mean..they have a crunchy texture, but not much taste and could have been virtually anything, from apples to raw potatoes. But that's the kind of tricky ingredient that makes these things fun to watch.

But then the EC! When they brought out the mothers, I was sure that one or both of them were going to be famous chefs or restaurant owners, which would have given some point to this mess. They did something similar in Top Chef Just Desserts, where the mother of the bride was a world famous pastry Chef. But no..they were just ordinary, non-foodies who, apparently, just wanted to have their kids' big moment on television. And why pick Top Chef, anyway..did we see any indication that any of them even watch the show? I felt just like Huge Eyebrow..only I would like to think that I wouldn't be crass enough to express that opinion out loud..on television!

And what exactly is date night, anyway? who were all these other people. The whole event simultaneously bored and confused me.

But I will say one thing..at least Victoria was enthusiastic about Chris' proposal, unlike the last surprise TV proposal I saw this week, on the Survivor reunion show, in which the girl met Dave's proposal with a stream of profanity and a (IMO) grudging acceptance for the sake of the cameras. Awkward!

Scribbly

Scribbly

Couch Potato

Posted May 19, 2011 @ 7:25 AM

Ugh. I know they need to change it up from just cooking, but tv proposals are just gross.

On the other hand, I hope Naomi goes all the way. She seems to be the be the most responsible of the group.