Person of Interest: Ben Linus Finally Finds Jesus

• Please log in to reply

12983 replies to this topic

insanityproject

insanityproject

Fanatic

Posted Sep 22, 2011 @ 1:15 PM

This might be the best ever thread title. Honestly the premise doesn't seem wow to me, but ME is just so freaking brilliant I gotta give it a try.

mochamajesty

mochamajesty

Fanatic

Posted Sep 22, 2011 @ 1:47 PM

[whisper] I have no idea who Michael Emerson is [/whisper], so I am watching for Jim Caviezel and Taraji Henson. I also don't get the Ben Linus reference.

Gotcha. I have a feeling that he would still like to be making movies. He just wasn't getting the offers.

If this is referring to Caviezel, I know that he is a Christian and that affects the roles that he accepts.

There is just something about Jim Caviezel that is appealing to me. I can't explain it but I'm looking forward into seeing what he can do with this role.

I agree. He is sexy, but there is a certain... kindness in his face that I find appealing. I'm really not understanding how you can lose your appeal by portraying Jesus, but YMMV.

Looking forward to this tonight.

Edited by mochamajesty, Sep 22, 2011 @ 1:49 PM.

dirtybubble

dirtybubble

Fanatic

Posted Sep 22, 2011 @ 2:09 PM

[whisper] I have no idea who Michael Emerson is [/whisper], so I am watching for Jim Caviezel and Taraji Henson. I also don't get the Ben Linus reference.

LoL! Thats ok. Michael Emerson was on the tv show Lost and his character name was Benjamin Linus. He was super creepy, super evil, and super cool! What's interesting about his character and the actor himself is he made Ben Linus evil but kinda sympathetic, especially towards the end of the series. The joke of the thread title is that during the entire series of Lost he was essentially trying to win the approval of a character named Jacob who was the Jesus figure of the show. Theres more to it than that but thats the short long of it. Or is it long short?

Having said that I'm gonna watch tonight's episode because of him and also the plot seems fairly interesting. I am unfamiliar with Jim C. and Taraji.

Edited by dirtybubble, Sep 22, 2011 @ 2:09 PM.

doormouse

doormouse

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 22, 2011 @ 2:57 PM

[whisper] I have no idea who Michael Emerson is [/whisper]

This is too funny! :) Not a Lostie, ay?

I'm crossing my fingers for good ratings- CBS has high standards when it comes to ratings (not necassarily quality!)

whiteshirtrocks

whiteshirtrocks

Fanatic

Posted Sep 22, 2011 @ 3:03 PM

I have no idea who Michael Emerson is either -- I am absolutely watching for Caviezel. Talk about a man who aged well.

rove3

rove3

Fanatic

Posted Sep 22, 2011 @ 3:42 PM

I am so looking forward to this show. Love, love Michael Emerson.

Oh, and this thread title is hilarious. LOL!

Talk about a man who aged well.

Yes, yes he has.

Edited by rove3, Sep 22, 2011 @ 3:44 PM.

prop joe

prop joe

Loyal Viewer

Posted Sep 22, 2011 @ 4:00 PM

I love Michael Emerson, I don't like Caviezel at all, and I'm a bit skeptic about this show, but I'll give it a try.

April May June

April May June

Loyal Viewer

Posted Sep 22, 2011 @ 4:07 PM

Former Lostie here, and I am so excited to see Michael Emerson on my TV again!
I have high hopes for this show, but I'm trying to keep my expectations low so I'm not disappointed if it's not a hit.

Although, I have to confess that it's going to be hard for me to see ME as anyone but Ben. (I had that problem with Elizabeth Mitchell when she was on V ... Mr May June and I would be watching an episode, and I'd be like "Juliet just kicked that guy's ass!", lol)

Numb Nut

Numb Nut

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 22, 2011 @ 5:18 PM

I'm not a JJ Abrams fan but I'm looking foward to this and hope it's good. I loved Caviezel in The Thin Red Line; he's mainly why I'll be watching.

I really am liking the new trend of movie actors taking a little time in their career for the small screen.

Me too! I can't remember ever being this optimistic about network TV. (As for new cable stuff, so far Homeland gets my vote. Great pilot.)

TudorQueen

TudorQueen

Stalker

Posted Sep 22, 2011 @ 5:32 PM

I was hoping TWoP would pick this for recapping and THEY DID!

::bows down and kisses TWoP virtual feet::

Thank you thank you thank you

Slade347

Slade347

Fanatic

Posted Sep 22, 2011 @ 6:49 PM

Taraji P. Henson has vented about not being included in the promotion and publicity for the show, and given how little I have seen of her (almost nothing) compared to the other two, I can't really blame her. And if that bit about TV Guide is actually true, that's awful.

I'm more of Abrams fan in movie mode rather than what he does on TV (maybe it's the limit of him only being able to do so much in two hours), but I'm still looking forward to this. Hopefully, it doesn't disappoint.

mochamajesty

mochamajesty

Fanatic

Posted Sep 22, 2011 @ 7:42 PM

Not a Lostie, ay?

No, I think I am one of five people on Earth who hasn't watched it. :)

Taraji P. Henson has vented about not being included in the promotion and publicity for the show, and given how little I have seen of her (almost nothing) compared to the other two, I can't really blame her. And if that bit about TV Guide is actually true, that's awful.

That's sad. I wonder if Taraji spoke to someone at CBS/TV Guide instead of Tweeting about it.

ETA: After watching, I see why she wasn't included in the promos. She was only in two scenes, so someone watching just for her will be disappointed.

I liked it, but I may rewatch again to make sure that I didn't miss anything. Badass JC is hot.

Edited by mochamajesty, Sep 22, 2011 @ 9:02 PM.

nerdyduck

nerdyduck

Fanatic

Posted Sep 22, 2011 @ 9:04 PM

I liked it. It wasn't the greatest thing I've seen but it seems to have potential to be really good.

I love Michael Emerson and been a fan of Jim Caviezel since Frequency. I think that, although a little broody, they had a good connection.

Also, I don't know why Taraji Henson is complaining because she was barely in this thing.

Definitely will tune in next week.

Edited by nerdyduck, Sep 22, 2011 @ 9:05 PM.

mustbekarma

mustbekarma

Fanatic

Posted Sep 22, 2011 @ 9:05 PM

Oh my gods. This show was a cool drink of water after watching Charlie's Angels. This show was amazing. I am so, so in for the duration. Michael Emerson and Jim Caviezel were just amazing. Jim Caviezel has such a deft touch at dry humor. I just adore the way Emerson and Caviezel played off each other. I thought the ending was also perfect. They denounced D.A. Winona (Justified reference) with her own words.The big brother scene at the end was appropriately eerie.

I am so in love with this show.

justsmile

justsmile

Fanatic

Posted Sep 22, 2011 @ 9:06 PM

It's like Batman & Alfred for a new millennium. Although Alfred has all the money/technology and is Ben Linus instructing Jesus to go out and do what he does. There is even a Gordon... although she needs to be included more.

What I mean is, I like it. Damn you JJ.

"I don't like killing people, but I'm good at it." Well, I'm definitely tuning in next week.

lostmind

lostmind

Channel Surfer

Liked it. Will tune in next week.

Snarkety Snark

Snarkety Snark

Video Archivist

Oh. my. god. Could Jim Caviezel BE any hotter? *picks tongue up from floor*

I've not been hooked on a show since Lost ended. I love Michael Emerson, I like the eye candy that Jim C. provides, and I thought the writing for the pilot was decent - hopefully this can be my new addiction. I hope the writers delve more into the back stories of the two main characters. . . .

samsnee

samsnee

Stalker

Posted Sep 22, 2011 @ 9:07 PM

So can someone explain how they're actually able to predict crimes? I was walking in and out of the room so I don't think I got the whole picture.

mustbekarma

mustbekarma

Fanatic

Posted Sep 22, 2011 @ 9:08 PM

"I don't like killing people, but I'm good at it."

That line, and scene, was just so awesome. Caviezel just rocked that line.

benteen

benteen

Stalker

Posted Sep 22, 2011 @ 9:09 PM

I really enjoyed it. Good, interesting premise that didn't beat around the bush. Two great, engaging actors in the lead. Caviezel is an awesome badass. I'll definitely been sticking around.

Nice to see Natalie Zea...too bad Reese couldn't have reported her for that stolen evidence room money. ;)

Is Sadler going to return? Because you don't cast a guy like that on a show for that little amount of screentime if you don't intend to use him agian.

"I've been watching you for a long time, John."

Just hearing Emmerson say the name "John" brought back some Lost memories. I do hope they can grab Terry O'Quinn for a guest spot one of these days.

Edited by benteen, Sep 22, 2011 @ 9:10 PM.

justsmile

justsmile

Fanatic

Posted Sep 22, 2011 @ 9:09 PM

So can someone explain how they're actually able to predict crimes? I was walking in and out of the room so I don't think I got the whole picture.

Emerson's character created the program to spy on US citizens looking for terrorists but it also detects small crimes. After 24 hours it deletes the small stuff, but Emerson's character felt guilty and created a back door for it to send him the info... but the info's only a social security number and doesn't tell them if they're the victim or the villain.

lostmind

lostmind

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 22, 2011 @ 9:10 PM

ME built a machine for the government. It was designed to prevent another 9/11 but it was also picking up other things.

samsnee

samsnee

Stalker

Posted Sep 22, 2011 @ 9:13 PM

Emerson's character created the program to spy on US citizens looking for terrorists but it also detects small crimes. After 24 hours it deletes the small stuff, but Emerson's character felt guilty and created a back door for it to send him the info... but the info's only a social security number and doesn't tell them if they're the victim or the villain.

Thanks. Not really sure how a social security number can predict crimes, but I guess we'll roll with it.

OLynn

OLynn

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 22, 2011 @ 9:14 PM

Ah shit I'm in, at least until the point where Abrams loses interest and the show starts to suck.

Loved Caviezel in this role and the Bourne Identity vibe.

AimingforYoko

AimingforYoko

Stalker

Posted Sep 22, 2011 @ 9:15 PM

I'm a little confused. When exactly did Reese's reason for living get whacked? The flashback in Mexico was obviously 9/11. So was it shortly after that? Has he been walking around in a daze for a decade? I will say this, he's not rusty.
Finch obviously will be a mystery that will get peeled like an onion as we go.

mustbekarma

mustbekarma

Fanatic

Posted Sep 22, 2011 @ 9:18 PM

Thanks. Not really sure how a social security number can predict crimes, but I guess we'll roll with it.

The social security number doesn't predict the crimes, the data mining/computer/machine he created predicts the crimes by using all the electronic information it can gather. Hence the big brother is watching you camera scenes. Emerson's character couldn't hack into all the information about the "little" crime predictions without being detected. However, he created a backdoor into the program that allowed him to get the social security numbers of the people involved. That gives him a starting point.

I'm a little confused. When exactly did Reese's reason for living get whacked? The flashback in Mexico was obviously 9/11. So was it shortly after that? Has he been walking around in a daze for a decade? I will say this, he's not rusty.
Finch obviously will be a mystery that will get peeled like an onion as we go.

Maybe it's to show that he had a long history with the lady in question, and not losing his soul mate after only a few months. Yeah, Covert Affairs, I'm looking at you.

Edited by mustbekarma, Sep 22, 2011 @ 9:20 PM.

rory

rory

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 22, 2011 @ 9:19 PM

I was really impressed with the premiere, it far exceeded my expectations. I don't think I've ever seen a JJ Abrahms show before and I feel like maybe I've been missing out. Or else this really works. It may be my favorite new show of the season. I hope it remains as good.

justsmile

justsmile

Fanatic

Posted Sep 22, 2011 @ 9:19 PM

...never mind. Beaten to the punch.

Edited by justsmile, Sep 22, 2011 @ 9:20 PM.

samsnee

samsnee

Stalker

Posted Sep 22, 2011 @ 9:22 PM

The social security number doesn't predict the crimes, the data mining/computer/machine he created predicts the crimes by using all the electronic information it can gather. Hence the big brother is watching you camera scenes. Emerson's character couldn't hack into all the information about the "little" crime predictions without being detected. However, he created a backdoor into the program that allowed him to get the social security numbers of the people involved. That gives him a starting point.

Aw, so it's kind of like that movie Eagle Eye.

benteen

benteen

Stalker

Posted Sep 22, 2011 @ 9:26 PM

Ah shit I'm in, at least until the point where Abrams loses interest and the show starts to suck.

It should be a season or two before Abramas jumps ship like he always does.