Person of Interest: Ben Linus Finally Finds Jesus

• Please log in to reply

12983 replies to this topic

aquarian1

aquarian1

Stalker

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 9:12 PM

I loved the look Reese got when Peter picked up that fireplace (?) tool. I half expected him to say "Bitch, please".

ETA: I love that there are other Americans in that prison. While I do believe the implication is Peter is there, it doesn't have to mean that. It's still ambiguous. Same with rapist guy. So it leaves future stories open.

Edited by aquarian1, May 3, 2012 @ 9:15 PM.

mustbekarma

mustbekarma

Fanatic

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 9:17 PM

I love that there are other Americans in that prison. While I do believe the implication is Peter is there, it doesn't have to mean that. It's still ambiguous. Same with rapist guy. So it leaves future stories open.

Perhaps a Legion of Doom? They start talking, and escape to get revenge on Reese for imprisoning them. That might be quite entertaining.

redshirtx

redshirtx

Fanatic

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 9:20 PM

I missed the first ten minutes or so, but this episode utterly had me at the final conversation between Reese and Peter Arndt. (Honorable mention: Reese vs. the poor fourth U.S. Marshal with the shotgun--both seconds of it.) JC was awesome at selling how lost and sad and pissed Reese was, which carried through straight to the resigned "Fuck it, let's do this" bit at the end. And then they had to go and top it with the Mexican prison thing--how much do you want to bet that's where Andrew Benton from Cura Te Ipsum (which is being rerun on Saturday, folks) ended up?

As for Carter and her tight pants (hey, not a complaint) being sort of led onto the Arndt thing...since that led to her discovering John's identity, and then apparently deliberately deciding to ignore it, I'm kind of torn on that. She does give great eyeroll, though...

benteen

benteen

Stalker

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 9:23 PM

I do have to call BS on the cororner and the police not realizing that Jessica had been murdered. I know it happens but it looked so blatant so that Carter could look good.

The rapist might just be in that Mexican prison. Throwing these guys into a Mexican prison does seem at least a decent punishment for them.

That being said, another excellent episode. I'm enjoying how we are getting the missing pieces to John's past and I likedthe Lost-style ending with Reese bumping into Harold.

John was very much in Terminator mode. Going into a law enforcement building and assaulting a bunch of officers for one and the whole "Get out" to Finch in the car. Very Arnold.

On John's military papers, I noticed his name was "John H." The last name was blocked but ended with an S.

Chorusgirl

Chorusgirl

Video Archivist

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 9:29 PM

What a cool new Batcave! Mr. Finch knows how to give a birthday present.

aquarian1

aquarian1

Stalker

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 9:30 PM

I loved the little box Finch used for the key - not a traditional box the way the top opened in halves (hard to explain). I also like that Reese seemed genuinely happy to get a birthday gift. But I wonder, why Finch left the card out initially. To see what John did with his day? It seemed he knew, what with the apt being near the chess players. I don't think it was truly an accident/oversight.

benteen

benteen

Stalker

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 9:31 PM

The apartment was nice. But when you have the NYPD, FBI, and CIA after you (and they employ snipers) do you really need to give him a place with such big, large windows?

culturevulture73

culturevulture73

Fanatic

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 9:35 PM

But when you have the NYPD, FBI, and CIA after you (and they employ snipers) do you really need to give him a place with such big, large windows?

You could see John thinking "gotta buy some blinds" (looked like one window had them but pulled all the way up). I want that apartment...

So is Mr. Han the cousin of Revenge!Sensei from Revenge? Another "taught him everything he knows" person?

Princess Lucky

Princess Lucky

Fanatic

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 9:37 PM

Such an emotional episode. I don't know why but I teared up when Carter shredded the files about John's previous life (but kept the picture). It was a symbolic moment, his past is now fully behind him.

I didn't even think why Carter was asking about other Americans. Nice catch.

I'm not sure if my theory will ever be confirmed, but the rapist guy from the awesome, yet, ambiguous ending, that so could be one of the Americans. Peter could be there, but did they confirm an actual body, or is he still officially missing? I didn't quite catch that. Either way, I don't care what happened to him, but I suppose for the good of the order and the universe or whatever I should be rooting for Peter to be rotting in a Mexican jail.

OK, I realised Carter was asking about Peter (and I do think we're meant to believe Reese didn't kill him) but the rapist didn't occur to me. But that is amazing. Those 3 people are the ones who would not be stopped until they were either caught or dead. And all 3 people were shown to be above suspicion or otherwise impossible to catch; the rapist gave his victims illegal drugs so they'd be implicated, Peter had even Jessica's mother believe he was a sweetheart so no one would believe he was hurting her and the US Marshal in this episode had a whole law enforcement agency helping him track his poor wife. So those people, the people who could not be stopped, needed to go away for good. Murder was one option, but rotting in a Mexican prison for life? That really is even harsher. And awesome. I love the thought.

I loved the look Reese got when Peter picked up that fireplace (?) tool. I half expected him to say "Bitch, please".

That whole moment was amazing. There was an unmistakable moment or realisation. Reese had no purpose, he was practically half-dead, no reason to live, and then when Peter tried to attack him (which, lol no) JC immediately got this clear-eyed look, this look of "I now have a purpose, I will deal with this monster". JC is always saying Reese is a bully killer and we saw that tonight.

JC was fantastic tonight, really subtle and magnetic. So many iterations of Reese and not one false note. He does so many little things, like when Carter was trying to stop him and mentioned New Rochelle his face totally changed for a second, knowing that she knew. And his more Terminator moments? Damn. You do not want to cross Reese. Not even if you're Finch.

I need to rewatch this, the way the episode was structured had me too eager to see what was coming up next to pay attention to everything.

I do have to say this episode left me feeling sadness for poor Reese, but also happiness that he now has Harold, who apparently bought him an apartment? Right above the place he plays Chinese chess with an old blind man? Something Finch knows all about because he keeps track of Reese all the time? Aw.

aquarian1

aquarian1

Stalker

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 9:42 PM

JC was fantastic tonight, really subtle and magnetic. So many iterations of Reese and not one false note. He does so many little things, like when Carter was trying to stop him and mentioned New Rochelle his face totally changed for a second, knowing that she knew. And his more Terminator moments? Damn. You do not want to cross Reese. Not even if you're Finch.

No kidding. I loved (I'm saying that a lot tonight) the "Get out of the car now, Harold. Leave the laptop and get out." scene. Finch could tell and got a little scared himself. He moved mighty fast to get out of that car - he was kind of hopping/jumping out.

After Carter hung up with the prison warden (sheriff?) I pictured a scene of her calling Finch and saying "He didn't kill him! He didn't kill him!".

lynettefl

lynettefl

Stalker

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 10:24 PM

Why did Finch encourage Carter to go to New Rochelle to investigate Reese's past?

I don't know why but I teared up when Carter shredded the files about John's previous life (but kept the picture). It was a symbolic moment, his past is now fully behind him.

I loved the song "Revenge" that played during the scene in which Carter shredded Reese's file. He had asked her to trust him, and she did. She shredded the file before she knew what he did to the Marshall.

It was poignant that Reese instructed the Mexican official to call Carter to prove to her that he had not murdered him. He showed that he could be trusted and that he valued her opinion of his morals.

Edited by lynettefl, May 3, 2012 @ 10:53 PM.

beadgirl

beadgirl

Fanatic

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 10:35 PM

Why did Finch encourage Carter to go to New Rochelle to investigate Reese's past?

So she could intercept the investigation, so to speak, and prevent the FBI from learning John's connection to Peter.

Edited by beadgirl, May 3, 2012 @ 10:36 PM.

cosmom

cosmom

Fanatic

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 10:51 PM

Something Finch knows all about because he keeps track of Reese all the time?

Despite telling Reese that he respects his privacy in the opening scene. Our man Finch can't help himself from snooping anymore than Reese can help himself from trying to unravel the mystery of Finch.

I loved the little box Finch used for the key

I do too - it was so cool.

Did they ever show how Reese got bloody? When it was flashback Reese and he was on the bus with carrying the kids, one of them asked if he was alright. Then you see Reese buttoning up his jacket to cover up his white shirt which has a huge blood stain.

And a little Count of Monte Cristo reunion! I would be a very happy camper if they had Luis Guzman (Jacopo) on PoI.

Tarasme

Tarasme

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 10:59 PM

1st- Squee! John and Jessica were Finch's 1st #s! Not Squee like good for them, because- not so much- but Squee! Thank you writers for tying that up for us w/o anvil-ing us to death.

2nd- poor Fusco. Can't stay on a tail w/o being made.

3rd- watched last 2 eps back 2 back: I was really hoping to get a glimpse of Cara in the ep or at least in the trailer for next ep ( and I'm going to feel real stupid if John's CIA partner is not named Cara). Cara and Paige Turco need to meet pronto.

4th- Michael Emerson is only out acted in TV character roles by that other Bad Robot giant John Noble. LOVE Finch subtlety putting all his own chess pieces in place. I would imagine Finch is a man so haunted by what he couldn't do - his failures- that he must keep the reminder constant- to create an environment that gives the absolute best odds of success in for future endeavors. The Batman analogy applies to them both! Sorta. If Batman limped!

Cosmom- as to how Reese was injured in the opening scene- I assume he took a poker in the side.

Edited by Tarasme, May 3, 2012 @ 11:00 PM.

Princess Lucky

Princess Lucky

Fanatic

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 11:01 PM

He had asked her to trust him, and she did. She shredded the file before she knew what he did to the Marshall.

It was poignant that Reese instructed the Mexican official to call Carter to prove to her that he had not murdered him. He showed that he could be trusted and that he valued her opinion of his morals.

Absolutely agreed. Carter did show trust before she knew what Reese had really done and Reese did indeed prove that he deserved her trust. And that he wasn't a monster, even if he might feel like one on occasion. That was very poignant indeed.

So she could intercept the investigation, so to speak, and prevent the FBI from learning John's connection to Peter.

Agreed. Peter (through Jessica) was the only link Reese has to the rest of the world. He has no family, no friends. Once that link is "overlooked", once Carter has made sure the FBI won't learn of it, Reese's true identity is protected. He can still be found, but they don't know who he really is.

I have to say, even though I was of the opinion Reese had actually killed that rapist (and Peter etc), I love that in the end he apparently found a completely cruel way to deal with those monsters without killing them. Reese has killed a lot of people, some of whom were innocent. But that wasn't Reese's true nature, that was Reese being manipulated. His true nature is good, he is not a murderer, he helps people (and his country). Last week we saw that he hesitated and eventually did not shoot Stanton, while she had no qualms about shooting him. And he said it himself in the pilot, "I don't particularly like killing people, but I'm very good at it".

Reese is a good man. In my opinion, this doesn't make him any less morally ambiguous, if anything it makes his past even more tragic. And if Prison Break taught me anything (don't judge me), prisons in Latin America are pretty harsh, especially for Americans. It's not like Reese gift-wrapped them so justice would be served. He screwed them for life. I've often thought dead men have it easy, if you will. So I love this idea.

And I did love that Jessica was innocent. It would have been too contrived if she had been involved in something shady. She was just a victim (and how cruel and devastating was Finch's realisation, that those women whose numbers came up often were abused and in deathly danger all the time?). It's enough of a mystery/conspiracy to show Finch having met Reese at the end, I'm glad the Jessica story was kept simple and normal.

Oh and in the end, when Finch was in the wheelchair, he opened up a folder that contained 3 pictures (Reese, Jessica and Peter) and their SSNs. So they were numbers. Was Finch somehow trying to help? Even injured? I assume that's when he started keeping tabs on Reese, he must have seen his file, learned everything about him, and he may have thought he'd make a good partner. I love that thought. That the Machine brought them together.

Edited by Princess Lucky, May 3, 2012 @ 11:03 PM.

basiltherat

basiltherat

Couch Potato

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 11:13 PM

Such a poetic episode!

Was the apartment at the end Ingram's from when his son and Finchy met after Ingram's death? I remember big old picture windows with that place that made me too want to put up blinds or black-out curtains.

I really like that Carter can remain the "moral center" (if you will) of the program AND now be part of the team as well. Our group has plenty enough enemies the way it is.

benteen

benteen

Stalker

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 11:33 PM

Hopefully those windows are bulletproof as well.

CGRealms

CGRealms

Couch Potato

Posted May 4, 2012 @ 12:11 AM

This episode reminded me of the episode "Peter" from Fringe in that it laid out the backstory of a character in a really beautiful way at a point in the series where we'd been given enough information to piece the facts together ourselves. They aren't stretching things out unnecessarily, and that's a great thing.

Loved that Reese cared enough to let Carter know what happens to people he can't afford to let remain free.

I'm wondering when the other shoe drops with the bodies of the CIA agents Stanton killed last week.

leapjoy

leapjoy

Video Archivist

Posted May 4, 2012 @ 12:23 AM

This episode was spectacular. I loved the backstory. It played out so perfectly.

I have to say, even though I was of the opinion Reese had actually killed that rapist (and Peter etc), I love that in the end he apparently found a completely cruel way to deal with those monsters without killing them. Reese has killed a lot of people, some of whom were innocent. But that wasn't Reese's true nature, that was Reese being manipulated. His true nature is good, he is not a murderer, he helps people (and his country). Last week we saw that he hesitated and eventually did not shoot Stanton, while she had no qualms about shooting him. And he said it himself in the pilot, "I don't particularly like killing people, but I'm very good at it".

Reese is a good man. In my opinion, this doesn't make him any less morally ambiguous, if anything it makes his past even more tragic

Exactly. For being such a bad ass, John is a very sensitive man. He is a BAMF but it is for a reason. I love emotional Reese.

This episode is one of my top 3 this season.

RTS390

RTS390

Video Archivist

Posted May 4, 2012 @ 1:14 AM

WOW!!! What a horrible episode. Especially for that asshole Marshall who wound up in the Mexican prison. Doncha just love it!!! When he said "yes, we have a couple other Americans too." I was all, "Great thinking John old boy!!!" Probably the only thing I didn't like so much about this episode was the way Finch was talking to Fusco. He might not of lost that girl if he would have been being cool. Gotta say that the scene in the Marshall's office was outstanding. Especially the way he looked so intense. That poor dude with the shotgun had no idea what hit the poor bastard. The part at the end with Finch and Reese running into each other in the hospital had my ole lady yelling, "Just like LOST!!!" I told her, "NO WAY!" I said she better shut the hell up or she will be LOST!!! Nolan seems to be tieing things together real nice like in my opinion, unlike his counter parts on Once Upon A Time are doing with nothing but more questions without any answers. Way to go Person of Interest!!! I understand that every episode can't be like the last couple have been but they sure got my attention.....

Edited by RTS390, May 4, 2012 @ 1:18 AM.

chiclette

chiclette

Channel Surfer

Posted May 4, 2012 @ 1:20 AM

Reese shattered my heart tonight and I am emotionally drained! I need a nap. ha ha! Beautiful performance by the entire cast.. especially Jim. When Reese paused the home video on Jessica's face after her husband grabbed her.. damn.. he was reading the fear and loneliness in her eyes. It's no wonder he felt all that guilt and became the hot mess we saw in the pilot episode. He'll never forgive himself for what happened to Jessica and will go bat shit crazy on anyone who treats a woman like that. Amazing episode. JC is the king of tortured souls.

Dagmara did a beautiful job and oh how I loved seeing Jim and her together again. Is it me or were her whimpering scenes gut wrenching? I couldn't stand it and I kept yelling for Reese. He took forever to get to her!

digital angel

digital angel

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 4, 2012 @ 2:39 AM

I'm confused about the Machine. Doesn't it only flag premeditated murders? Wouldn't domestic abuse be considered crimes of passion? Peter didn't plan to kill Jessica, it looked like she died in a scuffle. And why was this case of domestic abuse so special when it wasn't the first time Reese was involved in one (didn't he help Carter take down a wife abuser in Get Carter?)? And openly confronting the Marshalls was not very smart, even though they did try to explain it away by saying that Jennings would have tried to cover it up since he had illegally made use of departmental resources to track his wife (although I find it weird Jennings colleagues wouldn't have known he had a wife). And finally, Reese has no qualms about killing lowlifes - the guys in Baby Blue, Flesh and Blood etc, but he throws Jennings and possibly Benton in a Mexican prison?...unless that is a fate worse than death.

Oh the plot holes...

And yet I was a bit of an emotional mess at the end despite all the inconsistencies thanks to the gut wrenching performances by ME and JC. Oh boy that exchange between Peter and John, with the tears welling up in his eyes? All the myraid of expressions that have crossed JC's face in this episode were such a treat to watch. And Finch having to deal with a Reese lost in a rage he can't control? My favourite line was when he told Carter he could "reach" Reese, the implication was both physically and psychologically. I love it when things get personal for Reese and he's shaken out of his usual zone of casual apathy - the cold-eyed look in his eye before he starts going for Peter. I love how the the threads of their lives intersect, that we can't take anything for granted in this show. I love how they've semi-closed Elias's arc and now Reese's backstory....I love how those lines we hear Reese saying about Jessica in the beginning, bookend the end of the season.

And the ending, the music? The Harold Wren name card? That sad sad picture of John and Jessica together in happier times? Oh my aching heart.

Meredith

Meredith

Fanatic

Posted May 4, 2012 @ 4:58 AM

I do have to call BS on the cororner and the police not realizing that Jessica had been murdered. I know it happens but it looked so blatant so that Carter could look good.

It didn't seem blatant to me because I was under the impression that this town didn't see much murder… for whatever reason, they missed it or were not looking for it to be murder… it was a car accident so why would they have reason to think Jessica was murdered. Carter had more information than they did that lead her to begin questioning if Jessica was murdered.

Yellow0monkey

Yellow0monkey

Channel Surfer

Posted May 4, 2012 @ 4:59 AM

whoa! what an emotional episode......... nice to see Reese interacting with other people than just Finch, Carter and Fusco, not that I don't love all three, I liked the chinese guy playing checkers with John, got a little sad to see that he was blind.

Well who would have thought Peter was such a jack@ss.....seemed like such a nice guy when we last saw him at the the bar asking Reese and Stanton to wait until Jessica arrived... I really loved the idea of the Mexican jail......at least we now know thats possibly where good old Andrew William Benton is hanging out

Scorpiosrule

Scorpiosrule

Stalker

Posted May 4, 2012 @ 6:58 AM

Last night's episode is why Nolan should write every episode.

Holy Mother...I have no words. It was fucking fantastic. Jim Caviezel killed me. I'm pretty sure Peter got the first and only shot at Reese with that poker, hence the blood we saw in the first flashback. Since I didn't see it coming, it was a nice surprise to find out that it was Finch that Reese bumped into at the hospital.

And I did love that Jessica was innocent. It would have been too contrived if she had been involved in something shady. She was just a victim.

This. SO MUCH THIS. I am SO GLAD that there weren't any contrivances or fake outs or manipulations regarding Jessica. She was a good person. And how wonderful to see Judith Ivey again! Now Jessica lying to her mom about who she was with in the pilot makes sense. Jessica's mother didn't like Jessica being involved with Reese because of his career? Not being able to settle down? I think she also suspected Peter might have been abusing Jessica, but kept to the denial when Carter was talking to her.

I loved how Reese bit off the words "and we'll discuss my sensitivities later" or however that line went. All kinds of awesome.

And Peter is so in that Mexican prison along with rapist dude and Jennings.

I'm only a bit disappointed that Reese and Sarah didn't have more scenes; I say a bit, because I loved those flashbacks to 2011, where we finally find out what happened to Jessica.

Meredith

Meredith

Fanatic

Posted May 4, 2012 @ 7:05 AM

Am I to understand that Reese was with Jessica "only a short time"? Isn't that what her mother said? If that's the case, the cynic in me rolled my eyes at the idea that Reese lost his mind so completely because Jessica died... put your rocks down! hee!

I thought it was because he wanted her to obstruct justice if Mr FBI got evidence that Reese murdered Peter.

That was a nice touch.

Once we found out Reese dumped the guy in a Mexican prison though, I did think that Reese's conversation with Carter was over dramatic/an (poor)attempt to drum up drama... why not tell just Carter he isn't going to kill him?

I love that in the end he apparently found a completely cruel way to deal with those monsters without killing them.

The irony here is that people who do cruel things are considered monsters and from a human standpoint, killing them may be more merciful than having them rot in a Mexican prison.

2nd- poor Fusco. Can't stay on a tail w/o being made.

That was funny... but Finch got on my nerves with the way he was treating Fusco... its getting old and he (Finch) needs to stop acting as if Fusco is at his beck and call and there is no need for him to even act like he appreciates that Fusco helps him out. His dismissive "you can go back to your day job" or whatever he said was irritating.

I really like that Carter can remain the "moral center" (if you will) of the program AND now be part of the team as well.

Carter's really put her foot in it now... she's totally muddy! LOL

I'm confused about the Machine. Doesn't it only flag premeditated murders? Wouldn't domestic abuse be considered crimes of passion? Peter didn't plan to kill Jessica, it looked like she died in a scuffle.

Maybe the machine knew about Jessica's injuries, concluded that she was being abused and that eventually she would be killed by her abuser. Finch did talk about numbers coming up again and again and he finally figured out that these were mostly women and they were living with their abusers... I guess Jessica fell into that category.

And why was this case of domestic abuse so special when it wasn't the first time Reese was involved in one (didn't he help Carter take down a wife abuser in Get Carter?)?

I immediately thought about when Carter confronted the other woman beater. If I am recalling correctly, the woman in Carter's case wasn't a number. She was someone Carter had been dealing with for a while. I don't recall how Reese got involved but I could be off in my recall.

And openly confronting the Marshalls was not very smart

I thought what the heck is he doing?!! LOL

What is bazaar is that Reese walks into a Marshall's office, assaults several Marshalls then strolls out and no one comes after him.

Reese has no qualms about killing lowlifes - the guys in Baby Blue, Flesh and Blood etc, but he throws Jennings and possibly Benton in a Mexican prison?...unless that is a fate worse than death.

I think part of it could be that in the other situations, there was imminent danger but in the case of Peter and the Marshall it wasn't... and then again, you could be right... Reese is deciding who gets killed and who gets the fate worse than death.

Can someone refresh my memory... who is this rapist we are talking about?

Edited by Meredith, May 4, 2012 @ 7:24 AM.

Haleth

Haleth

Fanatic

Posted May 4, 2012 @ 7:25 AM

So did Reese drive all the way from NYS to somewhere in Mexico with Jennings in the trunk? I'm surprised he survived the trip.

Fantastic episode. This show gets better and better.

caseylane

caseylane

Fanatic

Posted May 4, 2012 @ 7:25 AM

Ack! I was watching last night an when Finch and Reese sat on the bench my cable went out due to storms. It didn't come back on again until we had the hospital bump/meet between Reese an Finch.

From reading the posts, John is keeping his bad guys in a Mexican prison, and Carter knows? The key went to an new apartment, which I figured once I saw the dump he was living in.

Can someone fill in the details? PM if you don't want to take up space on the board.

I do agree about how Reese treats Fusco. I don't need them to be bff's but I would like him to throw a thanks or nice job once in awhile.

Scorpiosrule

Scorpiosrule

Stalker

Posted May 4, 2012 @ 7:26 AM

Am I to understand that Reese was with Jessica "only a short time"? Isn't that what her mother said?

I'm thinking that her mother only thought it was a short time. Jessica probably (I'm fanwanking here) told her mom that she wasn't seeing him anymore. Yet, in Mexico, she was still with him, but told her mom she was with Cindy.

And maybe Reese was going to kill Jennings. He threatened to do it, and just decided sending him to a Mexican jail would be better.

I was just so engrossed with this episode, I didn't pay attention to stuff that didn't make sense because they weren't huge gaping plot holes, if that makes sense.

Can someone refresh my memory... who is this rapist we are talking about?

It was the third episode, I think? The one where this Wall Street guy was date raping women, who didn't report him because they did do coke with him. The POI was a doctor, whose sister this guy had raped and she'd killed herself.

And since the cops couldn't do anything, Reese took him to that beach house--with a gun on the table between them--and Reese was asking him, rapist dude, to help Reese do the right thing. The way it ended, we didn't know if Reese killed him, or let him go...from last night, I'm thinking Reese dumped his ass in the Mexican prison.

Edited by Scorpiosrule, May 4, 2012 @ 7:31 AM.

Princess Lucky

Princess Lucky

Fanatic

Posted May 4, 2012 @ 7:36 AM

And why was this case of domestic abuse so special when it wasn't the first time Reese was involved in one (didn't he help Carter take down a wife abuser in Get Carter?)?

In my view, while the show has tried extra hard with the continuity and we got a really fluid and coherent first season that really rewarded dedicated viewers, with all sorts of details and callbacks and throwaway lines and moments, this is still the first season. Continuity-wise I feel there has to be some leeway, the writers can't be trapped by something they came up with 3 or 5 episodes in, and if they had a better idea later on I'm fine with them using it/retconning a few details if it makes for compelling drama. Especially because this explains the inconsistencies with Jessica's number popping up. So I think it's quite likely that Reese didn't have a huge reaction to that other domestic abuse case because the writers hadn't come up with that yet. I can't blame them for that. Or, maybe we weren't shown his reaction because that was a subplot and we didn't even see Reese handle that guy, he just left him hanging (ahem). For all we know he did go crazy on him. Benton was the only other blatant case where a woman had been physically hurt in such a tragic way, by a man who would likely get away with it no less, and Reese did lose it with him, though not in a Terminator way, more like in a "I will murder you" kind of way.

Doesn't it only flag premeditated murders? Wouldn't domestic abuse be considered crimes of passion? Peter didn't plan to kill Jessica, it looked like she died in a scuffle.

I think the episode was showing the tragedy of domestic violence, the fact there's always an element of premeditation, an element of "I might kill her tonight". Which I think is true. I also think that in this case, Peter may have accidentally killed Jessica but he may have been actually planning to do it anyway, except luck caught up with him. I got the impression Jessica was about to leave Peter, she had a small bag with her and she was trying to get to the door when Peter tried to stop her (and I think he said something like "you are not doing this" or "you can't do this"). And we know the Machine had picked up the Reese/Jessica phonecall, after all (since the Reese flashbacks last week really were from the Machine POV) and the mention of Peter's name. That's possibly why the trio of numbers was released in a cluster. The Machine picks up on a lot of things.

And openly confronting the Marshalls was not very smart, even though they did try to explain it away by saying that Jennings would have tried to cover it up since he had illegally made use of departmental resources to track his wife (although I find it weird Jennings colleagues wouldn't have known he had a wife).

I think that was the most problematic part of the episode but Jennings did call him 'detective' (so the others knew he wasn't just some crazy person) and Reese did say he did it to blow the guy's cover. I guess there were less conspicuous ways of doing that (like Finch emailing the US Marshals Service some info) but this was one of Reese's Terminator moments and I loved it, frankly. I can see why others find it implausible (because it is, heh) but it sure as hell was fun to watch.

And finally, Reese has no qualms about killing lowlifes - the guys in Baby Blue, Flesh and Blood etc, but he throws Jennings and possibly Benton in a Mexican prison?...unless that is a fate worse than death.

I feel that it's one thing to kill random goons in a firefight and another to straight-up murder someone. And as for Baby Blue, I get the feeling Reese doesn't like domestic abusers/rapists but he REALLY doesn't like people who hurt kids. As for the prison, I did say it above, that really is a fate worse than death as far as I'm concerned. And it keeps Reese's morality intact in a strange way. And I say strange because:

The irony here is that people who do cruel things are considered monsters and from a human standpoint, killing them may be more merciful than having them rot in a Mexican prison.

Exactly. Serving a sentence in inhumane prison conditions is one of the hugest violations of human rights worldwide. Death would be a merciful escape.

It didn't seem blatant to me because I was under the impression that this town didn't see much murder… for whatever reason, they missed it or were not looking for it to be murder… it was a car accident so why would they have reason to think Jessica was murdered. Carter had more information than they did that lead her to begin questioning if Jessica was murdered.

Agreed. In all the procedurals you see that NYPD cops or cops of major cities or FBI agents are always picking up on things small town (etc) coroners miss. A car crash happens, boom, case closed. No one is going to look further into it in an idyllic town unless there's a reason. That was the whole point, that Peter had totally gotten away with it. It wasn't so much a "Carter is awesome moment" for me as much as it was a "Carter is a homicide cop in NYC and she's seen a lot of shit" moment.

Edited by Princess Lucky, May 4, 2012 @ 7:41 AM.