Person of Interest: Ben Linus Finally Finds Jesus

• Please log in to reply

12957 replies to this topic

askmelast79

askmelast79

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 8, 2012 @ 5:20 PM

Don't know if Reese was squeezing Finch's hand, but he sure was holding Carter's hand at the end, along with a wink that he gave her!

Cress

Cress

Stalker

Posted Apr 8, 2012 @ 5:30 PM

Back when the show began, the description was about "two damaged people", not 2 guys and a girl and oh yeah, a dirty cop.

Well I'm glad that it's not that anymore, because I freaking love Fusco. And I thought Carter was in the premise all along as a third lead.

Carter really should stick to solving homicides. Does she actually have a supervisor? Also, speaking of collateral damage, how about that poor guy at Taylor's school? I think he got shot three times in the gut. Carter really should stick to her job.

I thought this was part of her job. She got official permission to offer protection to Don Moretti when he got out of prison, in order to get info about Elias, so I'm guessing this mobster stuff is part of her duties. Besides, there had been murders of other Dons (with civilian casualties at the car bombing), so that does tie into her homicide duties. She was trying to prevent an all-out gang war. As for why she didn't shoot the Dons herself while they were in the safe house, that would have been murder of unarmed men. Even if they're scummy criminals, that doesn't give her the right to execute them. And if she had done so, Elias would have taken that as a signal that she could be coerced into following his orders, like HR cops. And he could blackmail her with the knowledge that she committed murder. They only shot one Don because he'd grabbed Fusco's gun and admitted to being on Elias's side. That was more self-defense.

I think POI deserved to keep its quality, too. It did win the People's Choice Award.

Since when has a People's Choice Award been a measure of quality? It shows that fans love it, but it doesn't have the prestige of an Emmy or a Critic's Choice Award. (The Good Wife was saved partly because of its Emmys and partly due to marketing to an upscale demographic targeted by Cartier.) Whatever awards POI gets, I don't care, because that's not why I watch it. To me, it's always been a vigilante/superhero show, and I never wanted more than some fun action, some great character interactions, and cute dialogue. This show is one of the more satisfying shows I watch, even though I've had problems with some dangling plotlines, the ludicrousness of Root, and clunky writing of Carter. But no show's perfect. (Except maybe Nikita.)

Starchild

Starchild

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 8, 2012 @ 6:16 PM

I just don't understand why we don't know what HR stands for. I can't imagine it's a secret in-universe. Everyone probably knows exactly what it stands for and is just abbrieviating for convenience. So why can't we know?

Didn't notice anyone else address this. Pretty sure they just use it the way everyone does, as an abbreviation for "Human Resources".

Navona

Navona

Fanatic

Posted Apr 8, 2012 @ 6:28 PM

Watched the ending again and the prison guard did take the cell phone from Elias after his call to his father; clearly though (to me) one of Elias' guys.

scotchellie

scotchellie

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 8, 2012 @ 7:32 PM

TPH has a movie coming out later this month and I'm actually considering seeing it just so I can see if she can indeed act at all. Maybe it will help me to like Carter better, or at least see if it is just as she is written. She's not going anywhere, and after last episode she is undoubtedly with our guys for the duration. Still wish for CCH or S. Epatha as Carter.

And I am simultaneously anticipating and dreading the season finale. It's going to rock, I just know it. But saints alive the summer...the long, long, dry, empty summer. Did I mention long? Us diehards and A.N.A.Ls are going to have to bear one another up over the summer. The long summer...

katbart

katbart

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 8, 2012 @ 8:08 PM

I just realized a thing that Reese and Elias have in common - they are both so polite! And both have such sweet voices!

Meredith

Meredith

Fanatic

Posted Apr 8, 2012 @ 8:31 PM

I was going to mention that but got sidetracked. Fusco sure looked inept in this episode with leaving his gun easily accessible for the Don to grab. I still love Fusco, but I call it as I see it.

I love Fusco too and don't hold it against him. I just think that if Carter had done what Fusco did she would have been crucified for it.

TPH has a movie coming out later this month and I'm actually considering seeing it just so I can see if she can indeed act at all.

If all you want to do is see her acting outside of PoI then it would be cheaper to go to Red Box and rent one of her movies… Hustle and Flow, Curious Case of Benjamin Button are 2 that come to mind.

Princess Aldrea

Princess Aldrea

Stalker

Posted Apr 8, 2012 @ 8:43 PM

So all the HR cops had their families followed and Finch said that luckily no HR cop knew where the Dons were, just Carter...and Fusco, the undercover HR cop. Why did they just assume (and Elias go for) Carter's son instead of trying the Fusco HR connection?

RTS390

RTS390

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 8, 2012 @ 9:55 PM

I finally get it!!! Carter saved one out of five leaving four homicides. She is doing her job after all. Good job Carter.....

lynettefl

lynettefl

Stalker

Posted Apr 8, 2012 @ 10:02 PM

Still wish for CCH or S. Epatha as Carter.

CCH Pounder and S. Epatha are too old for the role. They are around 60 years old, which usually is retirement age on the police force.

askmelast79

askmelast79

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 8, 2012 @ 10:12 PM

CCH Pounder and S. Epatha are too old for the role. They are around 60 years old, which usually is retirement age on the police force.

Precisely. See, you can't really ship Reese with someone that old. Carter on the other hand, is too much of a threat. Please understand that was said totally tongue in cheek.

Princess Aldrea

Princess Aldrea

Stalker

Posted Apr 8, 2012 @ 10:32 PM

See, you can't really ship Reese with someone that old.

Such optimism.

RTS390

RTS390

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 8, 2012 @ 11:01 PM

The guy who played Elias's father (Mark Margolis) appears to have a habit of getting himself blown up. Of course we seen Elias's henchman do it the other night. Simmilar situation on the season finale of Breaking Bad except he was in a wheel chair instead of a car. Then my ole lady tells me it happened to him on General Hospital a number of years back. With everything this old fart has done I am sure there is other instances too. I think this guy is a great actor and seems to play the mob role quite well. The feller dosen't even have to have a speaking part to pull off a good role.....

stuckintraffic

stuckintraffic

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 9, 2012 @ 1:38 AM

B'kfast w/ Michael Emerson

Nice little interview w/ ME. Excerpt:

Speaking of illustrating and being an artist, do you still draw?

No, I don't draw at all. Part of it is I have an inherited tremor in my right hand, and the only time my hand is steady is if I'm drinking so ... [laughing]. And who wants to draw when you're having a good time? I have to tell you I don't really miss it. I did a lot of it for a long, long time, and whatever it was that was satisfying about it, I find that same satisfaction in my work as an actor. I think it was my wife who suggested I was still an illustrator. I was just working in a different medium. I think there's truth in that.

Guess he didn't draw that Amber alert sketch of Finch after all.

aprildancer

aprildancer

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 9, 2012 @ 7:23 AM

Regarding Reese gently taking the gun from Finch. Yes, he was sweet and gentle. But also, that's the way someone needs to take a gun away from someone who is not comfortable with guns. If he had startled Finch in any way, Finch could have easily shot him (accidentally of course). Sorry Shippers.

Princess Aldrea

Princess Aldrea

Stalker

Posted Apr 9, 2012 @ 8:29 AM

I was actually completely shocked when the car blew up at the end. I was trying to figure out why Moretti was crying (was he secretly sentimental after all?) but he realized right away. And are we ever going to find out why Moretti had Elias' mother killed and then tried to kill him?

Princess Lucky

Princess Lucky

Fanatic

Posted Apr 9, 2012 @ 9:44 AM

Also - I think Reese saying to Finch that "you know how I don't like it when people mess with kids" was a way of letting Finch know he was probably going to be doing some actual killing vs maiming and he knows Finch isn't comfortable with violence and this was likely to be the worse sort of violence -

That's an excellent take on the scene. That's pretty much how I saw it as well, that Reese was basically saying "don't worry Harold, they messed with a kid so I am going to go full-on Terminator on them. I don't need back-up, my crazy is all the help I need". JC really nails those moments of "unhinged" Reese (if you will), when he obviously doesn't give a shit and is ready to kill anyone who stands in his way. Like that headshot in the episode with baby Leila. Reese does not play.

And Finch has indeed always had a problem with violence, I still remember his hilarious "Mr. Reese I'm highly uncomfortable" bit from the Alan Dale episode, and that wasn't even a violent situation, Reese just brandished a huge gun. The thing is, of course Finch knows Reese is involved in violent situations every other day. But he hasn't actually seen it. And in this instance Finch was right there with Reese as he was about to go nuts, not listening through a headset. It's natural that Finch would get worried, and also that he would feel useless; when Finch is listening in from HQ he can provide actual support, but just sitting in a car? I liked that moment, it was human. And Reese's sweet reaction was perfect.

And are we ever going to find out why Moretti had Elias' mother killed and then tried to kill him?

I don't think there's a huge conspiracy there, he may have killed her because she had seen something or she knew how he operated and she could turn him in, or she was threatening to tell his wife, or, hell, he may have just killed her because he's an evil bastard and he just wanted to get rid of her. And when young Elias showed up he was another loose end and, worse yet, he knew about his mother's murder. So Elias absolutely had to die because he could kick up a fuss about the murder and Marlene herself had to die probably just to show Moretti was a tacky asshole who preferred to handle everything by murder.

By the way, there was yet another mention of Officer Stills (the dirty cop Reese killed in the pilot) by that Don who was in cahoots with Elias. He was mentioned in the Astro episode too, when Reese flashed his badge and identified himself as Stills. Seriously, the writers are incorporating so many little details that are usually overlooked on most shows. The Don didn't have to mention the name/situation, he could have just said Fusco is HR. But the writers included it. I like that.

whiteshirtrocks

whiteshirtrocks

Fanatic

Posted Apr 9, 2012 @ 10:14 AM

I think Stills/Fusco and the other dirty cops from the first episode were a roque group that did jobs on their own -- and paid a percentage to HR to do so. That is why Fusco could not (in a gratefully undercover way) join HR until recently. It is also why the Don could throw mud in Fusco's direction, but not necessarily make it still.

Fusco did call in the calvary, but only after HR realized that Elias was getting ready to blackmail them with the lives of their families.

I am still holding my breath on Fusco -- both for his life and for his alliances.

Edited by whiteshirtrocks, Apr 9, 2012 @ 10:15 AM.

clawdette

clawdette

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 9, 2012 @ 11:50 AM

whiteshirtrockssays:

Fusco did call in the calvary

Hee, I think you mean cavalry, although the idea of the group circling around a hill of crosses creates a whole other scenario.

whiteshirtrocks

whiteshirtrocks

Fanatic

Posted Apr 9, 2012 @ 12:11 PM

Fusco did call in the calvary
Hee, I think you mean cavalry, although the idea of the group circling around a hill of crosses creates a whole other scenario.

Oops, too funny what with all Ben Linus Finally Finding Jesus and all...

And yes, I did mean cavalry..

Icanseeformiles

Icanseeformiles

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 9, 2012 @ 12:27 PM

Since when has a People's Choice Award been a measure of quality?

No, it doesn't have the prestige of an Emmy or Critics Choice Award, but I doubt if fans voted for POI because they thought it lacked quality. I know I had the quality of the show in mind when I voted for it. And I think that POI winning the award should've been something CBS built on to head the show toward winning the prestigious awards. But instead of that, CBS cut the quality of the show and did damage to it, so that now it's very unlikely to win any of those awards. And I think the awards are important since the reason actors are nominated for them is because of particularly compelling scenes that happened in the show like the Reese-Benton scene in "Cura" and also the one where Reese faces off with Stills outside of the elevator. These kind of scenes show that there's a lot going on inside Reese's head--that there's a lot of depth to the character, and that he's not just a cardboard superhero in a cardboard superhero show.

I never thought of POI as some fluffy superhero show. At least not before the midseason changes. I know it always had the "batman without a cape" aspect to it, but it was so much more and I think supposed to be so much more. But now it seems doomed to be just another generic ensemble show. What a waste of a brilliant premise.

Also, I think if they can market "The Good Wife" to an upscale audience, they could've done something similar with POI if it meant the quality could've been maintained. Too bad they didn't even try.

scotchellie

scotchellie

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 9, 2012 @ 1:10 PM

Precisely. See, you can't really ship Reese with someone that old. Carter on the other hand, is too much of a threat. Please understand that was said totally tongue in cheek.

+

Their ages are irrelevant in tvland. And neither one looks too 'old' at any rate.
I'm not a 'shipper'. I've stated before that I don't see this show as the kind that needs the whole shipper-romance angle. It wouldn't fit and would probably derail the whole show. Leave the romance to other shows. It's been done to death. I suggest those two simply because if the writers were looking for a 'strong female lead' one of those two would have been a much better choice than the one they made. If the almighty powers want to blow this show straight to hell all they have to do is pair Reese and Carter. Who have zero chemistry anyway. They need to stick with what made this show so unique in the beginning and keep the romance angle out of it.

On a totally unrelated note, I saw the guy who plays Snow on another show last night. That character was much more light-hearted and he had a little scruff going on. And some tight jeans. What a cutie! And is his voice really so twangy in real life? Is he a Southerner? I really can't wait to see Snow back on POI. I actually like him more than I like Elias as the antagonist and I like Elias a lot. I think Elias is out of the picture now at least until next season. I fully expect to see him again in the future, but he's been wrapped up to a point so they are going to need another Big Bad to take his place. My vote is totally for Snow.

thuganomics85

thuganomics85

Stalker

Posted Apr 9, 2012 @ 1:25 PM

And is his voice really so twangy in real life? Is he a Southerner?

Yeah, Michael Kelly was born in Philadelphia, but he was actually raised in Georgia and went to college in South Carolina. I'm sure Snow will be back on this show since he apparently worked with Reese back in the day and there is still a ton of questions about Reese's past that needs to be answered (mainly what exactly went down with Stanton and her death.)

lynettefl

lynettefl

Stalker

Posted Apr 9, 2012 @ 1:41 PM

Their ages are irrelevant in tvland. And neither one looks too 'old' at any rate.

A 20-year age gap is relevant if an executive producer wants a character in her late 30s, early 40s, which I think is the age range of Detective Carter that Nolan set. CCH Pounder and S. Epatha look good but can't pass for that.

I suggest those two simply because if the writers were looking for a 'strong female lead' one of those two would have been a much better choice than the one they made.

So a strong female lead actress in her late 30s, early 40s would fit....

Princess Aldrea

Princess Aldrea

Stalker

Posted Apr 9, 2012 @ 2:52 PM

I'm a little worried from the way Carter was eying Fusco after the dons accused him of being on the take that she'll find out about his past and HR and get the wrong idea.

katbart

katbart

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 9, 2012 @ 5:05 PM

Oops, is the 15 year or so age difference between Reese and Finch going to be a problem?

askmelast79

askmelast79

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 9, 2012 @ 6:32 PM

Oops, is the 15 year or so age difference between Reese and Finch going to be a problem?

I don't really see that as a problem seeing as how Reese and Finch are just friends. I have friends that just happen to be 15 years older than me and I don't see them as haggard and wrinkled, although I can see why some would.

Now Reese and Carter together are just right because they are so close in age. It is so nice when you can relate to someone because of your closeness in age. Oh and he did wink at her in the last episode and they were holding hands. Nice!

katbart

katbart

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 9, 2012 @ 7:49 PM

I meant the age difference of Finch and Reese, if they were a romantic couple.

Anyways, I would like to see an episode in which Reese has to return to the streets and subways, posing as homeless person.

Navona

Navona

Fanatic

Posted Apr 9, 2012 @ 7:58 PM

I realized that Carter probably would not have been so bold to hold out against Elias as she was if she didn't trust Reese to bring her son home. When Elias gives her one last chance to make a deal with him, she yells through the door "I'm not as alone as you think I am" - probably was immediately obvious to everyone else, she meant Reese (and Finch) but mostly Reese, but I really didn't pick up on it right then.

I don't want any romances between any of these characters - at all; ever. It always screws up a show because writers never know how to pull it off.

If Reese winds up with the Fixer character, even for awhile, that would be cool to me but, gad, I hope they don't go there with any of our core group.

green55

green55

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 9, 2012 @ 7:58 PM

I meant the age difference of Finch and Reese, if they were a romantic couple.

Why not Fusco and Finch? (would that be Finco or Fusch?)