Person of Interest: Ben Linus Finally Finds Jesus

• Please log in to reply

12954 replies to this topic

AimingforYoko

AimingforYoko

Stalker

Posted May 18, 2011 @ 5:08 PM

The inevitable takeover of popular culture by J.J. Abrams continues apace, this time on CBS:

Stars Jim Caviezel, Emmy Award winner Michael Emerson, and Academy Award nominee Taraji P. Henson in a crime thriller about a presumed dead former-CIA agent who teams up with a mysterious billionaire to prevent violent crimes by using their own brand of vigilante justice. Reese's (Caviezel) special training in covert operations appeals to Finch (Emerson), a software genius who invented a program that uses pattern recognition to identify people about to be involved in violent crimes. Using state-of-the-art surveillance technology, the two work outside of the law using Reese's adept skills and Finch's unlimited wealth to unravel the mystery of the person of interest and stop the crime before it happens. Reese's actions catch the attention of the NYPD, including homicide detective Carter (Henson), and Fusco (Kevin Chapman), a cop whom Reese uses to his advantage. With infinite crimes to investigate, Reese and Finch find that the right person, with the right information, at the right time, can change everything. Emmy Award winners J.J. Abrams and Bryan Burk (Lost), Academy Award nominee Jonathan Nolan (Memento), David Semel (Heroes), and Greg Plageman (Cold Case) are the executive producers for Warner Bros. Television.

Sounds like The Equalizer meets The Philanthropist to me. It's a little different, but still comfortably in CBS' wheelhouse. Emerson ensures me at least sampling this.
ETA:
Some pics.
Trailer (along with 4 other new CBS shows.)

Edited by AimingforYoko, May 18, 2011 @ 7:18 PM.

Redtracer

Redtracer

Fanatic

Posted May 18, 2011 @ 8:45 PM

Damn, I was trying to think of a thread title that involved Ben Linus, Jesus, and Batman, but I just couldn't make it work. Kudos, AimingforYoko.

This is the only CBS drama I'm remotely interested in, if only for Michael Emerson. Early reports said that this is slightly darker than in tone than your average CBS drama. I'm just hoping they mean darker as in "morally ambiguous characters" rather than darker as in "people getting murdered in the most gruesome ways possible," ala Criminal Minds.

cmm226

cmm226

Fanatic

Posted May 18, 2011 @ 8:54 PM

I don't care what it's about, I'm going to watch anyway.

doormouse

doormouse

Channel Surfer

Posted May 19, 2011 @ 1:56 PM

I'm so excited to have Michael Emerson back on my screen! This will be the first time I've watched CBS programming in years...

TudorQueen

TudorQueen

Stalker

Posted May 19, 2011 @ 2:15 PM

I'm in because of Michael Emerson. The concept is actually kind of interesting, Taraji P Henson is a terrific actress, and the production team is sound, so that all makes it an easier commitment to make, but basically, I'm there for Emerson.

Beacon

Beacon

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 20, 2011 @ 3:23 PM

I first saw Michael Emerson on "The Practice" as a creepy psychopath. He was really good there. He blew me away on "Lost", so I am all over this series.

Nikki125

Nikki125

Fanatic

Posted Jul 6, 2011 @ 6:51 AM

I've been seeing the promos for this but had no idea what it was about until I read the description here. Jim Caviezel caught my attention however, so I will check it out.

Another show involving the CIA pops up on CBS. Stop ripping off USA Network already! And I agree that this show sounds like The Equalizer, but also like a twisted, darker version of Burn Notice with a little Minority Report and Lie to Me thrown in.

vb68

vb68

Stalker

Posted Jul 14, 2011 @ 1:47 AM

And I agree that this show sounds like The Equalizer, but also like a twisted, darker version of Burn Notice with a little Minority Report and Lie to Me thrown in.

I agree. I'm really on the fence about it. I'll probably at least watch the pilot.

PartlyCloudy

PartlyCloudy

Video Archivist

Posted Aug 6, 2011 @ 5:31 PM

This looks really entertaining to me. I'm looking forward to it, hope it's good, and hope it lasts. Jim Caviezel won't be too hard on the old eyeballs either.

AimingforYoko

AimingforYoko

Stalker

Posted Aug 6, 2011 @ 8:03 PM

JJ Abrams and showrunner Greg Plageman at the TCAs.
Notice, they said nothing about Caviezel.

Alexandria Bay

Alexandria Bay

Stalker

Posted Aug 7, 2011 @ 11:11 AM

To echo several posters above, I'm in it for Michael Emerson. I hope it doesn't suck, but honestly I'll watch whether it's good or not.

Is it too much to hope that they kill off Jim Caviezel's character and cast someone hotter? Or just not so bland?

vb68

vb68

Stalker

Posted Aug 12, 2011 @ 11:39 AM

Notice, they said nothing about Caviezel.

Is he supposedly on the way out or something?

whiteshirtrocks

whiteshirtrocks

Fanatic

Posted Aug 12, 2011 @ 12:24 PM

I don't know the other actor, so I'm in it for Caviezel. That man sure ages well.

I really am liking the new trend of movie actors taking a little time in their career for the small screen.

AimingforYoko

AimingforYoko

Stalker

Posted Aug 12, 2011 @ 4:35 PM

Is he supposedly on the way out or something?

No, I just thought it was funny they brought up Emerson and Taraji P. Henson, but not him.

vb68

vb68

Stalker

Posted Aug 12, 2011 @ 6:47 PM

Gotcha. I have a feeling that he would still like to be making movies. He just wasn't getting the offers.

clawdette

clawdette

Video Archivist

Posted Aug 12, 2011 @ 7:55 PM

There is just something about Jim Caviezel that is appealing to me. I can't explain it but I'm looking forward into seeing what he can do with this role.

cmm226

cmm226

Fanatic

Posted Aug 12, 2011 @ 11:15 PM

The only thing I've ever seen Jim Caviezel in was Angel Eyes. It wasn't a very good movie.

I think I should try to check some other things out before watching this but I'm not apprehensive about the show at all.

TudorQueen

TudorQueen

Stalker

Posted Aug 13, 2011 @ 9:25 AM

Not a huge Cavziel fan - I've seen him in several things and I don't hate him or anything, but he never really appealed to me - but I signed on because of Emerson (and Abrams). However, I recently watched the four minute preview on IMDB and not only was it awesome, but Cavziel did maintain my interest. And Michael Emerson is just... as amazing as ever.

Alexandria Bay

Alexandria Bay

Stalker

Posted Aug 13, 2011 @ 9:33 AM

Finch seems rather Bennish-rattling off what he knows about Reese, communicating with an enigmatic entity, getting someone else to do what he wants, even atoning for his past is a natural segue. I don't know whether that's good or bad for Michael Emerson as an actor, but it makes me happy.

crowsworks

crowsworks

Fanatic

Posted Aug 14, 2011 @ 3:45 PM

I think I should try to check some other things out before watching this but I'm not apprehensive about the show at all.

Try Frequency. One of my favorite movies - I even love the theme song.

I know mileage varies on the movie but I just really like it.

vb68

vb68

Stalker

Posted Aug 14, 2011 @ 3:58 PM

Try Frequency. One of my favorite movies

Yeah, I think that was probably his best movie (at least that I've seen).

cmm226

cmm226

Fanatic

Posted Aug 15, 2011 @ 12:41 AM

Actually, I might have seen parts of that. I just don't remember it.

Have to be honest, I doubt I'll try watching his stuff before the show airs (if I love him afterwards, sure because I always do that).

I'm in it for Michael.

Edited by cmm226, Aug 15, 2011 @ 12:44 AM.

Seshat23

Seshat23

Loyal Viewer

Posted Aug 15, 2011 @ 2:54 PM

There is just something about Jim Caviezel that is appealing to me. I can't explain it but I'm looking forward into seeing what he can do with this role.

Me too. His appeal to me diminished a bit after he was in the Mel Gibson movie, but I still like him. Plus, with the buzz the show has been getting from the critics, I'll definitely be tuning in to the first few episodes.

Try Frequency. One of my favorite movies

Yeah, I think that was probably his best movie (at least that I've seen).

I liked Frequency as well. Also, The Count of Monte Cristo. They're not great movies, but they were entertaining to watch.

vb68

vb68

Stalker

Posted Aug 15, 2011 @ 7:52 PM

His appeal to me diminished a bit after he was in the Mel Gibson movie

I wasn't going to mention it, but yeah, same here. I suspect it hurt him with a lot of people, but this is a good chance for him to get a fresh start. I hope it is and it's a big hit. I'm rooting for him.

akg

akg

Stalker

Posted Aug 16, 2011 @ 1:43 PM

Try Frequency. One of my favorite movies - I even love the theme song.

I think this might be the only Caviezel movie I've seen and I also love it. Glad to see I'm not alone.

I'd give this a try for Ben and JJ but it sounds intriquing so I'd probably be in anyway.

TPickles

TPickles

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 4, 2011 @ 2:27 PM

Add me to the "I'll follow Michael Emerson anywhere" crowd.

However, I have to admit a sense of dread as well because of JJ's involvement. After suffering through what happened with Alias, I almost hope I don't like the show so I won't be disappointed if it takes a nosedive after the first season. (Or second if they get it.)

Alexandria Bay

Alexandria Bay

Stalker

Posted Sep 4, 2011 @ 6:03 PM

The hype it's getting in advance--it's on everyone's top 5 or 10 list, stories about how it tested better than anything in the history of TV ever (perhaps I exaggerate...a bit), the bonus cover with Michael Emerson in this week's EW--scares me. Nothing could live up to it.

doormouse

doormouse

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 7, 2011 @ 3:59 PM

The hype it's getting in advance--it's on everyone's top 5 or 10 list, stories about how it tested better than anything in the history of TV ever (perhaps I exaggerate...a bit), the bonus cover with Michael Emerson in this week's EW--scares me. Nothing could live up to it.

Yeah, I know what you mean, but I'd rather they get lots of hype than no hype at all! And it made me happy to see Michael Emerson on Letterman last night- I was holding my breath through the interview b/c Letterman can be kind of a dick, but ME did well.

I'm just curious to see if this is going to appeal to a cross section of viewers: the CBS procedural lovers, former Losties, young men who like to watch things get blown up, etc. Let's hope so!

Jessica Monroe

Jessica Monroe

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 7, 2011 @ 4:34 PM

I am really curious to see how this show plays out and if it's any good. I was hoping to get a better read on what people were thinking about it here. I found it on a list of the most anticipated fall 2011 shows and people there seem pretty excited for it, but there were also not that many voters. Maybe we need to change that.

Personally, I so want to see the show be fabulous, but Ben Linus (he'll always be Ben Linus to me) was fantastic on LOST, so it will be interesting to see if he can carry that over on another series. I don't want him to ruin my favorable feelings of him with a new less-than-awesome show. I'd say I'm cautiously optimistic.

stonehaven

stonehaven

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 22, 2011 @ 1:10 PM

I am sooooo excited for tonight. Gonna tape it and watch it live..just in case some idiot decides to call me...

I love Emerson..The man has a way of evoking sympathy and the creeps plus his story on how he got the Lost job remains one of my favorite moments of the Bonnie Hunt show ever...
Kudos to the thread title!