4-22: "The Wrong Goodbye" 2011.05.16

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

506 replies to this topic

brighthope

brighthope

Fanatic

• Interests:TV and Books!

Posted Jun 12, 2011 @ 2:28 PM

Chuck could have made Blair happy, but that doesn't change the fact that he doesn't.

Exactly. Which is why this finale felt more like closure than any other CB closure has. Even saying "I will always love you" feels like closure, because that's what you say when you say goodbye.

Previous CB closure:
"It's not my world without you in it." --doesn't feel like closure
"If two people are meant to be together eventually they'll find their way back"--doesn't feel like closure.

"You need to let go, and I need to let you go." --feels like closure.

Can Attack

Can Attack

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 12, 2011 @ 2:32 PM

But the finale showed him both loving her light and pursuing her happiness

This reminds me of Chuck/Eva back in the beginning of S4. There we have a woman who Chuck was so in love with and wanted to be the one who makes her happy that he actually became a better man in order to feel worthy of Eva and bring her happiness and be sparkly and happy together. Hell, he was willing to forgo his name and everything he own just to be with Eva before coming back to NY as a changed Chuck Bass, good samaritan doling out charity everywhere.

Which is in sharp contrast to how Chuck dealt with Blair in the finale. Here, he's all "I love Blair when she's sparkly and happy, but with me she's all dark and horrible. And geez, no way am I sacrificing my vices, my lost summers with Nate and booze and rapey and abusive and father issues so Blair can be with me and be sparkly and happy once I've redeemed myself as a human being. So between Blair being happy with another man, or being happy with me, but that would mean I have to give up on being Chuck Bass, I'd rather have Blair be with another man because I'm so goddamn lazy and frankly, I love me most of all and hell no to even thinking to change for the better for a woman I supposedly love. Here you go, Louis, Blair with a bow on it. It's too much work. "

In many ways, Chuck did live up to his S2 moniker as a coward in the finale as well.

Edited by Can Attack, Jun 12, 2011 @ 2:35 PM.

purplebubbles

purplebubbles

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 12, 2011 @ 3:28 PM

This reminds me of Chuck/Eva back in the beginning of S4. There we have a woman who Chuck was so in love with and wanted to be the one who makes her happy that he actually became a better man in order to feel worthy of Eva and bring her happiness and be sparkly and happy together. Hell, he was willing to forgo his name and everything he own just to be with Eva before coming back to NY as a changed Chuck Bass, good samaritan doling out charity everywhere.

I KNOW. It was so striking to me how different Chuck was around Eva. Hell I actually LIKED him with her, as ashamed as I am to admit it. But see, this is why I think he and Blair are so wrong for each other - because both think that they don't have to be better people in order to be together. Their whole dynamic was 'they're just as bad as each other and they don't have to change'. Blair and Chuck know that the moment they grow up and mature, it's over between them. So they resort to the same old schemes and games all the while hoping that things will change between them and improve - and they never did and never will. They just don't command respect from each other at all.

And since the 'dark' parts of Blair are the ones that Chuck can relate to it enables him to manipulate and control her in a way he couldn't with Eva.

Snooker83

Snooker83

Couch Potato

• Interests:History, movies (anything but rom coms), politics (the dirtiest spectator sport known to man!), swimming.

Posted Jun 12, 2011 @ 3:51 PM

Love your post purplebubbbles.

The reason I have come to dislike the Chuck/Blair pairing is just as you say above that it's the easy way out for both characters. We're twisted schemers, we just have to live with it and make no further attempt whatsoever to lead a different life. Even worse they seem to bring out the worst in each other.

I personally enjoyed the Eva SL immensely. I thought it was so deliciously ironic that Chuck- teenage billionaire- was happy when he was (pretending to be) a pauper.

Artsda

Artsda

Fanatic

Posted Jun 12, 2011 @ 6:13 PM

However, Chuck and Blair dancing at the bar mitzvah showed that Chuck can make Blair happy, despite both their claims to the contrary.

What did he specifically do in that scene to her to make her happy?

He didn't do anything, Blair was dancing with a group of drunk Jewish people pretending to be someone else and escaping from reality. If Chuck made her happy then so did the older man dancing to her left or the man who lifted her chair.

Chuck even told her that they had to get back to reality. Which wasn't what the dancing was. When Chuck called her on his not making her happy after the dancing, she didn't blurt out how happy she was dancing with a bunch of strangers.

He makes me happy, And I don't?, What's mere happiness in the face of all that, right?

Edited by Artsda, Jun 12, 2011 @ 6:59 PM.

Krazy Kat

Krazy Kat

Video Archivist

Posted Jun 12, 2011 @ 7:09 PM

I didn't like Chuck even with Eva, but I will say that she is the only woman that I have liked with Chuck. Unlike Blair, she managed to be with Chuck without belittling herself. And if they aren't going to kill off Chuck like I want, I would like to see Eva come back. I think of all the guest love interests she was the most interesting.

I have to say, though, that the season finale pretty much has killed all the enthusiasm I had generated for the show during the the Dan-Blair episodes. I got so much hope for the show during them. I thought the show might be changing. But even while I think that they are going to have some sort of romance, the god damned finale has left me perhaps permanently reluctant to ever care for this show again.

I was intensely active posting here for a few months, but now I pretty much am a stranger. Those last five episodes managed to kill the show for me. Granted, they had those episodes written before everyone learned how much people loved Dan and Blair, but the episodes along with Safran's unbelievable babbling in the last interview he gave (and what ought to be the last interview he ever gave).

They've lost my trust. Up until the finale they didn't have my trust so much as my hope. But at this point they have neither my trust and I don't dare to hope. Like I said, I am terrified that they are going to have a brief Dan-Blair romance only to reprise that (*barf*) EPIC Chuck-Blair romance.

So what do you do when something like this happens? Give the show that you realize you have become emotionally unattached to another chance? Or just dump it?

I'm torn. Everytime I think of this episode, with stuff like the bar mitzvah I just feel repulsed. I can't even remember how much I loved 12 through 17 with Dan and Blair. I knew even then that we'd have to wait for them to get together. But I didn't know they would do so many incredibly horrible things on the show in those last five episodes. I've never had a show destroyed for me so completely before so quickly.

brighthope

brighthope

Fanatic

• Interests:TV and Books!

Posted Jun 12, 2011 @ 11:32 PM

I completely agree with your post Artsda. It wasn't Chuck making Blair happy, it was Chuck and Blair having fun together and escaping reality for a bit and there's a big difference there.

pillboxhat

pillboxhat

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 14, 2011 @ 4:41 PM

The episode has just aired in Australia - so apologies for being late to the party. mrpillboxhat remarked the last scenes were written in a way that if the show wasn't renewed they could call it quits there and then. The "Chair on Chairs" scenes were two people who share a bond after coming through a near death experience taking some time to decompress. The introduction of Dan's book left me wanting to slap Vanessa and Dan (if you didn't want anyone to read it - why leave it on your desk?!).

As for Chuck and Serena showing any growth in that episode - get back to me after the opening couple of episodes next season. Consistency and show are not concepts the House of Pillboxhat has been linking lately.

Also loved the nod to the recent Royal Wedding with Serena's quip about having a white dress designed that would outshine Blair's.

Blair and Dan's last scene together smacked of Blair needing an anchor to her reality - New York City, movies and the arts.

SmilingGoat

SmilingGoat

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jun 14, 2011 @ 9:57 PM

As for Chuck and Serena showing any growth in that episode - get back to me after the opening couple of episodes next season. Consistency and show are not concepts the House of Pillboxhat has been linking lately.

Thank you! I keep hearing people saying that the finale showed us that Chuck is on his way to growing, becoming a better person, redeeming himself, blah blah blah. We've seen this happen repeatedly for 4 seasons now and yet, at the end of the day, Chuck just regresses into the same old "I'm Chuck Bass" persona. Why would it be any different now?

I think we should stop projecting any sort of growth on the part of Chuck until we see a genuine long-term growth arc next season, and even then, I'd still be wary because of these writers.

Also, we really should stop assuming with almost 100% certainty that it is Blair who is pregnant with Chuck's spawn. There are no genuine spoilers to base this assumption from so stating it as fact is really misleading.

I have to say, though, that the season finale pretty much has killed all the enthusiasm I had generated for the show during the the Dan-Blair episodes.

Those last five episodes managed to kill the show for me.

Unfortunately, I'm with Krazy Kat on this one. I've said it before but any excitement I got out of DB from mid-season has all been extinguished by what they showed in the last five episodes particularly the season finale.

It's hard to root for them when you have Lord Manpain in the background just waiting to swoop in and inflict his abusive ways yet again. Because god forbid the writers finally move away from that stale rotten ship.

Mrsnatehumphrey

Mrsnatehumphrey

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jun 15, 2011 @ 8:47 AM

so much time passed and Im still sad about Nate & Chuck going to vacation together :((((
How can Chuck still have any friends after everything happened....
is it growth when he's happily planning another lost summer of manwhoring ...

Hot Capicola

Hot Capicola

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jun 15, 2011 @ 12:10 PM

'Chair on Chairs' scene was absolutely wonderful. İt showed us that Blair and Chuck can be light and happy with eachother. Chuck seemed like he was proud of Blair there while she was dancing in the circle. İt was on his glance that seeing Blair happy was what made him joyful. He was like totally have forgotton everything and his whole universe was her. There was only Blair for him while he was watching her with proud eyes. I can watch that scene over and over without getting bored.

The problem is, that that was just a fantasy. To me that scene just further proved that they cannot exist together in the real world. They were only able to achieve that by becoming other people (stole the name tags) and being isolated from their friends and family (it was just some random party where they knew no one).

Blair and Chuck clearly have a connection, but the show as shown us time and again, that they cannot function together in the real world. They will eventually destroy eachother.

He put her needs first even if that meant he would be depressed and his heart would be broken. He considers her happiness more important than his. That is how a relationship should work and it was time for Chuck to let her go. He cannot reunite with her until he fully rids himself of the ghosts from his father and his trust issues.

I strongly disagree with this. Sure compromise, is a part of any relationship. However, sacrificing your own happiness for someone else's willy always lead to resentment no matter how much you initially love that person. The type of "love", or more accurately lust, that Chuck/Blair show is not healthy. If the show has shown us anything when it comes to these two, is that it is impossible to sustain a long lasting and healthy relationship.

I am not sure that this is accurate. In a lot of cases their are complex reasons while journalists promote what they do. The first reason is because it gets them access. Josh Schwartz is very well known in the industry for reading everything about his shows so if they invested in this little Dair friendship that they wanted to trick people into thinking might be more so he gets his journalist friends to pretend is amazing and then he gives them access. That is how the business works. At the same time you have small time "journalists" like the zap2it girls who are so desperate for hits that they try and start a war between fans so people will come to the site. I think next week the most impassioned Dair fan journalist could fall in love with Chuck and Vice versa if Stephanie and Josh told them to do it for an exclusive.

In terms of the network I felt like they promoted Chuck and Blair when they did not even have scenes and keep them splashed all over their website and I believe on the DVD cover so I think they are really committed to that pairing. I don't know that they want another Pacey and Joey. Gossip Girl has a couple that stands on its own that people will talk about for years to come in Chuck and Blair why would the show or network be interested in copying another couple? Plus I think a lot of people who watched and loved Dawson Creek are so offended by that comparison because Dan Humphrey is no Pacey!! Pacey is a beloved character who was the break out character of the first couple seasons of Dawsons Creek. I think Dan provides a value on the show but he has a very small fanbase compared to other characters.

Regarding your 1st paragraph, I was under the impression that Schwartz stopped actively working on the show after season 2 ended. Regarding your second paragraph, why would the network want to copy something else? Is this the only show you watch? Scene any movies lately? Hollywood is all about remakes, sequels and re-inventing the wheel.

PearlNY

PearlNY

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jun 15, 2011 @ 1:13 PM

Re: movies which Dan and Blair are watching during summer

All That Heaven Allows. The Apartment. The Remains of The Day. Broadcast News.

I don't think it's a spoiler, but still. It's from GGWriters. If they don't write Dan and Blair like Mr Stevens and Miss Kenton, DB should be more than fine.

Edited by PearlNY, Jun 15, 2011 @ 1:24 PM.

Hot Capicola

Hot Capicola

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jun 15, 2011 @ 3:08 PM

And it looks like Blair is pregnant with Chuck's baby. That doesn't look like closure to me. They closed an unhealthy circle to suddenly open another one. Chuck and Blair are now more connected than ever and they will always be connected. A baby, their baby, is not something that could be easily forgotten. Carried to term or not.

The pregnancy test scene was added at the last second as it wasn't in the leaked script. If you watch the episode without that scene, it's pretty clear they are closing the door on Chair (romantically) for the foreseeable future. I think they threw the test in as an obvious ploy to keep Chair fans interested in next season. Also Gossip Girl has a strong history of using their cliffhangers as misdirection.

bluebaby1219

bluebaby1219

Video Archivist

• Interests:Doctor Who, Legend of the Seeker, Gossip Girl, HIMYM, Big Bang Theory, The Vampire Diaries

Posted Jun 16, 2011 @ 8:52 PM

At the end of 4x22 Serena was in LA. We have Chuck and Nate apparently visiting her there.

Now the GG writers are saying in their tweet that two of our characters will decide to stay in Los Angeles at the end of 501.....

Hot Capicola

Hot Capicola

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jun 16, 2011 @ 9:46 PM

" My heart hopes for Chuck and Serena, but my head says it will Nate and Serena.

Mrsnatehumphrey

Mrsnatehumphrey

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jun 17, 2011 @ 1:09 AM

yep i guess 1 person will be Chuck for sure bc of Ed's filming of 'Romeo & Juliet'

catmax99

catmax99

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 8, 2011 @ 9:58 PM

so much time passed and Im still sad about Nate & Chuck going to vacation together :((((
How can Chuck still have any friends after everything happened....
is it growth when he's happily planning another lost summer of manwhoring ...

Chuck still has friends because this is the NJBC- the people in this group do not judge each other. I'm not saying its right, but its been a staple through all four seasons. These people have no moral compass whatsoever.

After the business storylines that bore me to tears on Chuck's part, and Nate's total lack of storylines, I'm happy that Nate and Chuck are spending the summer together. They are acting age appropriately and like any rich college (or on Chuck's part, at least college-aged) kids do- by spending their summer partying and having a good time. Their friendship, while not on the level of Blair/Serena's, is a constant in this show and I hope they explore it more.

Snooker83

Snooker83

Couch Potato

• Interests:History, movies (anything but rom coms), politics (the dirtiest spectator sport known to man!), swimming.

Posted Jul 12, 2011 @ 3:18 AM

Also Nate is a loyal friend. He might not have had a real SL for the past few seasons, but through it all he has always been there for Chuck.

Couldn't agree more on the business SL's: enough already. If I wanted to see 'drama' revolving around stocks, mergers I'd watch Margin Call which is entirely more interesting.

Please don't get me wrong I don't want to get rid of Chuck, just this tedious Bass Industries nonsense.

Edited by Snooker83, Jul 12, 2011 @ 3:24 AM.

Light of Night

Light of Night

Fanatic

Posted Jul 21, 2011 @ 8:33 PM

Another theory about the pregnancy test: that Serena deliberately faked a positive result to make it seem she was pregnant. It could have been Blair who did this, but I like S more. I don't know how you would do it, but surely there is a way. I also don't know why; hey, I have to leave the writers something to do (LOL).

Hot Capicola

Hot Capicola

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jul 21, 2011 @ 8:36 PM

Not that hard. On a lot of the test if you leave them sitting for a couple of hours the chemicals mix and it can switch to a +. I'm probably a bit off on the technical aspect of it though.

Can Attack

Can Attack

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 22, 2011 @ 12:59 AM

No, that's my experience with pregnancy tests too. A lot of them turn +ve if they're left out for a while (which is why they tell you to read the results after a specified number of mins) - and that is why the tv trope of people finding +ve pregnancy tests in the trash (and discovering so and so's secret) always cracks me up.

But I do think Blair's pregnant, even though I'd love for the show to realize it's a stupid, boring plot device. It's the only way to explain why the show subjected Blair to sleep with a guy who almost bashed her face 24 hours ago or why it subjected the audience to the cracktastic chair on Chairs.

pokadotshoes

pokadotshoes

Video Archivist

Posted Jul 23, 2011 @ 5:14 AM

But I do think Blair's pregnant, even though I'd love for the show to realize it's a stupid, boring plot device. It's the only way to explain why the show subjected Blair to sleep with a guy who almost bashed her face 24 hours ago or why it subjected the audience to the cracktastic chair on Chairs.

Right? It was their end of season surprise OMFG moment, which they seem to be petting themselves on the back for. Honestly, it was just as bad as 'Chuck getting shot in Prague (?)' end of season cliffhanger...completely nonsensical and more importantly, no1curr. I still believe that is foreshadowing Chuck's death on the show. One can only hope.

bluebaby1219

bluebaby1219

Video Archivist

• Interests:Doctor Who, Legend of the Seeker, Gossip Girl, HIMYM, Big Bang Theory, The Vampire Diaries

Posted Jul 23, 2011 @ 11:04 AM

So true. The sadder part is that they will probably have her lose the baby one way or the other. Then they'll not address that issue, just sweep it under the rug and use the pregnancy as a prop for the unending CHAIR reunion that I'm sure is coming in season 5 (I'm still wishing otherwise but who am I kidding? Still hoping for the writers to prove me wrong).

Chuck getting shot in Prague (?)' end of season cliffhanger...completely nonsensical and more importantly, no1curr. I still believe that is foreshadowing Chuck's death on the show. One can only hope.

So totally with you on this. I wasn't impressed with that finale at all and that awkward "I got shot" scene, not one of GG's best scenes. It was supposed to show how much he loved Blair by not wanting to give up that ring. Then the season started and he was, after a few episodes, declaring his devotion to another girl.

Well looks like he's going to be beaten up next season from the shooting photos we got, so I'll just channel all my residual anger from the last three episodes of season 4 to that scene when it happens. I don't want Chuck to die. I just want him to move somewhere far, far away where he can't convince anymore girls that happiness is not important.

The only story line from this episode that I'm looking forward to next season is Dan's book tbh. And, okay, where season 5 takes Dan and Blair--friendship, romance or back to enemies. I really did find it interesting that they had Blair copy Dan's Netflix queue. I liked that it sort of showed that despite all her denials she wanted to keep in touch with Dan over the summer. I mean how great was that she was spending the summer with her royal fiance and his family, learning the ropes on how to be a princess and planning her royal wedding yet she still made plans with Dan so they could continue to watch and discuss movies together? He was the only one she technically made firm plans with for the summer.

I really took that thirty seconds of DB interacting as a positive sign for Dan and Blair in season 5, then they showed us the pregnancy stick and I came crashing back down to earth.

Hero of Canton

Hero of Canton

Channel Surfer

Posted Jul 31, 2011 @ 10:37 AM

So I just finished my season 4 re-watch. And I'm shocked how I didn't at first realize how much the CB goodbye resembled the dock scene in the season 3 finale of Dawson's Creek. Granted Chuck was a little more graceful than Dawson, but it still had the same feel to me. You had guy reluctantly pushing him into another man's arms because he felt that that would make her happy.

catmax99

catmax99

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 1, 2011 @ 9:30 AM

And I'm shocked how I didn't at first realize how much the CB goodbye resembled the dock scene in the season 3 finale of Dawson's Creek.

Ahh, the infamous poo face scene. Still one of the funniest moments ever on television. I think it's actually pretty different in that when Dawson supposedly let Joey go he knew that Joey was actually in love with Pacey and not with him, but her fear in going to Pacey was that she would lose Dawson's friendship. He's telling her that she won't lose his friendship by dating Pacey. Here on GG Blair is still in love with Chuck and tells him so. He just knows he doesn't make her happy while the prince does so he lets her go. I don't think, though, that Blair is really in love with the Prince.

Hero of Canton

Hero of Canton

Channel Surfer

Posted Aug 1, 2011 @ 9:33 AM

Ahh, the infamous poo face scene. Still one of the funniest moments ever on television. I think it's actually pretty different in that when Dawson supposedly let Joey go he knew that Joey was actually in love with Pacey and not with him, but her fear in going to Pacey was that she would lose Dawson's friendship. He's telling her that she won't lose his friendship by dating Pacey. Here on GG Blair is still in love with Chuck and tells him so. He just knows he doesn't make her happy while the prince does so he lets her go. I don't think, though, that Blair is really in love with the Prince.

I'm not saying it's exactly the same, but I got the same feeling. Both Chuck and Dawson were making a personal sacrifice so that the woman they wanted to be with could be happy.

Light of Night

Light of Night

Fanatic

Posted Sep 3, 2011 @ 9:17 AM

I was thinking - hoping, really - that the pregnancy test was a false positive, but on rewatching I put it togther with what Gossip Girl says at that point:

And maybe the next time you won't be so alone when it's over.

So it seems to be settled: someone is indeed pregnant.