19-1: "Twenty-Five Eligible Men Arrive" 2011.05.23

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

172 replies to this topic

Wibber13

Wibber13

Channel Surfer

Posted May 28, 2011 @ 7:20 PM

Interesting article. But, you know, I mean, I don't know, like, really, he needs to brush up on his vocabulary. He went on & on about not acting like a 35-year-old and that's not who he really is (sober), but his grammar is teeny-bopper

My thoughts exactly Tahitigirl!! I was reading it and thinking jeez, he just said "you know" about 20 times. What is he, Justin Bieber? Maybe he was just nervous because of how he was portrayed, or maybe he's just a dimwit. Who knows?

TWoP Barnes

TWoP Barnes

Stalker

Posted May 28, 2011 @ 8:13 PM

WARNING: When you're talking about pet posting peeves, you're no longer talking about the show; you're talking about yourselves and you're talking about the boards on the boards.

Also?

NOTE: The dead wife talk should be kept to a minimum. I mean -- stuff that is addressed on the show is fair game, but the episode threads should always be about the episodes. You can create contestant threads in the contestant sub-forum and have a little more freedom there. A little.

Jodhaa

Jodhaa

Fanatic

Posted May 28, 2011 @ 8:16 PM

Most hilarious moment for me was after the butcher is eliminated he says to the camera "I guess she'd rather marry batman" referring to the mask guy.
Then he struts off camera like Vinnie Barbarino. So funny.

Edited by Jodhaa, May 28, 2011 @ 8:17 PM.

LoveSupreme

LoveSupreme

Video Archivist

Posted May 28, 2011 @ 9:02 PM

Thanks for the Tim interview. I feel kinda sorry for him, he did go through the entire interviewing process and all that just to let his nerves get the better of him and get drunk before he even had the chance to talk to her. Not to mention embarrassing himself on national TV. He kept saying he was 35 and didn't want to waste any more time, but I'm sure that now when he meets women it's gonna be "aren't you the drunk guy from The Bachelorette?" and he'll have to waste time trying to explain himself. Poor guy. It could happen to anyone I guess.

But all that "you know.." "I mean..." "you know..." "and whatnot..." was a bit much. Even when he had gotten out of the limo he couldn't put a sentence together and apparently not much has changed.

MsSweatpants

MsSweatpants

Couch Potato

Posted May 29, 2011 @ 9:41 AM

I feel that as soon as you sign up for this show, you are not overqualified for anyone.

My thoughts exactly. Even the guys/girls who seem so great, who are "there for the right reasons," blah blah blah, are still on a reality TV dating show.

aug05bride

aug05bride

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 29, 2011 @ 11:22 AM

I am finally just now watching this. I'd like to say...Ben C. is absolutely adorable, and seemed like a keeper. And he's a total hottie.

Lisette

Lisette

Fanatic

Posted May 29, 2011 @ 11:34 PM

she also seems genuine in her interactions and has depth. And she comes across as a a kind person who cares about the feelings of other people. I love that about her. It doesn't hurt that the roster of men is diverse and interesting.

I know, I'm surprised to be liking her quite a bit now, too. She seemed to be less of a stick-in-the-mud and less full of herself than some (Deanna and Jen come to mind as two of the worst.)

I'd really just like to see a fun love story, with travel and without emotional devastation, but from the previews that does not seem to be the case.

As for Tim...He reminds me of DNC Chairman, Tim Kaine (with about as much charisma). But, don't worry about him. He's earned his right to be at TB reunions and I'm sure he'll hook up with some not-too-bright TB reject who is looking for a nice guy.

ISupportKenneth

ISupportKenneth

Channel Surfer

Posted May 30, 2011 @ 2:22 AM

Something that caught my attention--Wes admitted that both he and his wife had been using marijuana just before she died. I assume that South Carolina's laws criminalize the use of marijuana to some extent, and that as an Assistant Attorney General, he may be responsible for prosecuting violations of those laws. Wonder what his employer thought, and if there was any fallout?

Edited by ISupportKenneth, May 30, 2011 @ 2:23 AM.

ClaireO

ClaireO

Couch Potato

Posted May 30, 2011 @ 9:38 AM

It would be hearsay with no evidence, ISupportKenneth, and hearsay is generally inadmissable in the courts. If the police didn't find a prosecutable amount of drugs on the premises when they went to the home after the death, it's essentially over. And in the media thread, someone notes that the police investigated the situation twice.

But anyone going on one of these shows is risking fallout at work, so I agree that it would be interesting to know what the employer had to say. Most probably wouldn't care, or would call him in to tell him to be discreet and/or ask if he had an untreated drug problem.

Edited by ClaireO, May 30, 2011 @ 9:40 AM.

WordFreak

WordFreak

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 30, 2011 @ 3:03 PM

There have been many good suggestions on here about what actor Tim looked like (I mentioned it in my last post), but I'm not sure any of them really captured who I was thinking of.

To zomg: You could be spot on in your guess that he looked like a guy who played Elaine's boyfriend on Seinfeld, but since I didn't watch that show regularly enough to think of who you're talking about, I can't confirm. Anyway, I suppose it will remain a mystery, now that Tim is back to relative obscurity. Thanks anyway for all of the suggestions!

I just had a thought: could Tim have been the one that reminded someone of Diner-era Mickey Rourke? Just wondering!

I'll leave now, since I fear I'm getting off-topic.

Scoutlet

Scoutlet

Fanatic

Posted May 30, 2011 @ 5:46 PM

The bangs aren't great, but they cover her huge and distracting forehead. She is a cute girl with a great little figure, but no beauty. That said, she seems quite nice and genuine and I like her well enough. Plus, she got some serious eye candy. I will tune in for that.

Ames the Ivy League overachiever bugs. I could never live with someone that intense.

I like solar panel guy. Hot, successful, seemingly normal. He didn't ping my gaydar, but then I've been out of the dating pool for so long that it probably isn't very accurate anyway.

Bentley is plain gross. He seems like a date rapist to me. Plus, the name (or nickname, whatever) "Cozy/Cosy" is heinous and would be a deal-breaker for me. I hate names like that.

Lisette

Lisette

Fanatic

Posted May 30, 2011 @ 7:57 PM

Plus, the name (or nickname, whatever) "Cozy/Cosy" is heinous and would be a deal-breaker for me. I hate names like that.

I do, too (although I guess kids today won't remember "tea cozies"--you know how quick they can be to make fun.sinc

"Cosette" is a bad name, too (they're not French and a Les Miserable shout out isn't the nicest thing to do to a kid just to show off). I guess that the name was the ex-wife's favorite and Bentley uses the nickname because he didn't like the original and is just passive-aggressively undercutting it.

Then again, he's shown himself to be a d-bag so I don't feel like giving him the "benefit of the doubt". (In addition, even though his daughter is little, I don't know why a parent would go on a show like this and intentionally act like a jerk. Then again...I guess it's not an act so he probably didn't think about the repercussions.)

Seriously, he's not that good looking and ... knowing you'll come across as a d-bag I wonder what he's hoping to get out of this. There must be some benefit to him in being disliked. Does he think it will help his social life, a la Wes?

Odd, too, that he bragged about his intentions--to go on and be a jerk who didn't care at all about TB--to his ex-wife.

I guess he's proud of himself for it, but...I don't get it.

Mopatop

Mopatop

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 30, 2011 @ 8:20 PM

I feel like every man on this show has a very sad backstory that they are all revealing immediately. I haven't watched previous seasons very closely, is this typical? It seems like it's a high concentration of tragedy for a fairly small group.

Edited by Mopatop, May 30, 2011 @ 8:20 PM.

Bony Prominence

Bony Prominence

Couch Potato

Posted May 30, 2011 @ 9:26 PM

Last year, someone got the boot because it was discovered he was "there for the wrong reasons". This year one of the guys is bragging about being there for the wrong reasons, and the producers are exploiting it.

seb

seb

Video Archivist

Posted May 30, 2011 @ 11:34 PM

Something that caught my attention--Wes admitted that both he and his wife had been using marijuana just before she died. I assume that South Carolina's laws criminalize the use of marijuana to some extent, and that as an Assistant Attorney General, he may be responsible for prosecuting violations of those laws. Wonder what his employer thought, and if there was any fallout?

It would be hearsay with no evidence, ISupportKenneth, and hearsay is generally inadmissable in the courts. If the police didn't find a prosecutable amount of drugs on the premises when they went to the home after the death, it's essentially over. And in the media thread, someone notes that the police investigated the situation twice.

It would be a confession, which is admissible (under the statement against penal interest exception to hearsay). Her use was also, I'm sure, confirmed by the toxicology that must have been done when she was autopsied. If law enforcement really believed he was getting away with murder, they could have prosecuted him. Instead, the AG's Office hired him a year later. That convinces me he's squarely in the tragedy column. And they do, Mopatop, ALL seem to be in the tragedy column!

HughKenrick

HughKenrick

Video Archivist

Posted May 31, 2011 @ 9:16 AM

Seriously, he's not that good looking and ... knowing you'll come across as a d-bag I wonder what he's hoping to get out of this. There must be some benefit to him in being disliked. Does he think it will help his social life, a la Wes?

Odd, too, that he bragged about his intentions--to go on and be a jerk who didn't care at all about TB--to his ex-wife.

I guess he's proud of himself for it, but...I don't get it.

My theory is that what he really wants is to get on the show that has a cash prize instead of a fake relationship: Bachelor Pad. Since Bachelor Pad is strictly limited to previous B/ettes, he has to be on The Bachelor first. Then, he deliberately amps up the obnoxiousness so Fleiss will think he's a perfect, drama-making sleaze boy to have on Bachelor Pad.

backformore

backformore

Fanatic

Posted May 31, 2011 @ 9:32 AM

My theory is that what he really wants is to get on the show that has a cash prize instead of a fake relationship: Bachelor Pad.

Yep. I posted the same thing in the most recent episode thread. Bentley wants to be on Bachelor Pad, and the producers told him exactly what to say to have that happen. I think all the little comments he's shown making were done after the fact, in order to make sure we see that he's an asshole. The comments are inserted into the scenes with Ashley, to give them impression that he is commenting immediately afterwards. But we don't know when the comments were made, OR what the incentive was.

I believe he truly is an asshole, I'm just saying that the producers are dong everything but tattoo "VILLAIN" on his forehead. And I think he was promised a stint on Bachelor Pad if he plays the part well enough.

HughKenrick

HughKenrick

Video Archivist

Posted May 31, 2011 @ 9:46 AM

I believe he truly is an asshole, I'm just saying that the producers are dong everything but tattoo "VILLAIN" on his forehead. And I think he was promised a stint on Bachelor Pad if he plays the part well enough.

Yeah, and since only the first few bootees from the season are eligible to appear on Bachelor Pad (due to the conflicting filming schedules), he's doing his villain thing as hard and fast as he can. After next week, he'll have been on the show long enough for people to remember him, so he'll probably get himself booted and then move right on over to the Bachelor Pad film set located just down the street.

Edited by HughKenrick, May 31, 2011 @ 9:47 AM.

archer1267

archer1267

Fanatic

Posted May 31, 2011 @ 1:07 PM

What does "DB" stand for?..."discarded bachelor?" It's been a while since I watched these shows, so apologies for asking what could be a very obvious question.

I didn't see Brad's season, so don't have any preconceived ideas about Ashley. The perky thing could really come to grate, but I liked her, and her honesty about worrying that men might be disappointed that she's the Bachelorette. I like that she has a career and isn't just looking for a guy to attach herself to, any guy, because her friends are all getting married...like so many women on these shows.

jlc1967

jlc1967

Video Archivist

Posted May 31, 2011 @ 1:37 PM

What does "DB" stand for?..."discarded bachelor?"

My guess is "douchebag."

Ants

Ants

Channel Surfer

Posted Jun 1, 2011 @ 8:28 AM

I feel like every man on this show has a very sad backstory that they are all revealing immediately. I haven't watched previous seasons very closely, is this typical? It seems like it's a high concentration of tragedy for a fairly small group.

Yes, they want as much drama as possible.

Bentley is this season's Michelle (hired plant to stir up drama on Brad's season),

Bentley is plain gross. He seems like a date rapist to me. Plus, the name (or nickname, whatever) "Cozy/Cosy" is heinous and would be a deal-breaker for me. I hate names like that.

For that matter, "Bentley" is a pretty stupid given name, too.

kalibean

kalibean

Fanatic

Posted Jun 3, 2011 @ 11:45 AM

Bentley is this season's Michelle (hired plant to stir up drama on Brad's season),

Maybe so, but I found Michelle deliciously bitchy and I also thought she was a great match for Brad, at least as far as appearances go. They looked great together, imo, and he definitely was intrigued in a sexual way. Bentley is just a dick. I totally believe that he hoped Emily was The Bachelorette, but instead of being a giant ass (and cruel to boot), he could just be normally douchey (for this show) like Wes, maybe. I seriously don't get him at all. No one trying to promote their business needs to look this bad.

ETA: And maybe it's the booze, but the man has some serious mush mouth. It's making me crazy.

Edited by kalibean, Jun 3, 2011 @ 11:46 AM.

Bugs Meany

Bugs Meany

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 4, 2011 @ 10:42 PM

If law enforcement really believed [West] was getting away with murder, they could have prosecuted him. Instead, the AG's Office hired him a year later.

I didn't know that; thanks for pointing it out.

How often does that happen? Really, that should be all anybody needs to know. But hey, if people on a TV message board want to bring up personal anecdotes about completely unrelated people to call a man a murderer, it's all good.