Whitney

• Please log in to reply

387 replies to this topic

2MuchTV

2MuchTV

Fanatic

Posted Mar 15, 2012 @ 1:19 AM

Good Lord, was that the show's attempt at "a very special episode"?

This. Another surprised/sheepish fan of the show here. It's not a great show, and I don't know if I'd claim it's even good, but it's one I find myself looking forward to every week. I just like it. I like spending a half hour with the characters, I like Whitney and Alex's relationship (especially once they got past the "Whitney creates a problem in their relationship where there isn't one" plots of the early episodes), I like the traditional three-camera setup, I like the way the group relates to each other.

But that episode? Was bad. So very bad. And I admit I watched it twice just to get what small pleasures I could out of it. It was just. so. serious. What struck me was how dead silent it was once Neal came over to talk to Whitney, like they abruptly hit Mute on the laugh track and the show suddenly turned into Serious. Drama. Which Whitney the actress (and I'm fairly certain Whitney the show) can't do. As someone else who isn't good with that kind of emotional stuff, I could relate to the character, while simultaneously finding Whitney the actress trying to do straight drama reeeeeeeally uncomfortable. By now I've seen so many sitcoms do coming out stories (as we all probably have), and yeah, they tend to get serious, but the contrast in tone never hit me as jarring and just plain "off" as this one did. I appreciate that all the characters were cool and supportive (I really love Alex), but god, that second act was so freaking heavy, far more than this show is capable of pulling off, IMO. The first half up to that point was pretty decent though.

cjuniverse

cjuniverse

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 15, 2012 @ 9:10 AM

I mean, it's still a pretty standard sitcom (it's not incredibly original, like my beloved Community), but then again, so was Friends, for example. It's really cast chemistry and solid writing that make or break a show like this, and I feel like they are on their way to developing both. I'm still not at a point where I'll be really sad if it gets cancelled, but I am rooting for season 2 nonetheless.

Completely agree.

I'm surprised by some of the negative reaction. I thought the episode was great. I loved the semi-seriousness of the episode. I personally thought they pulled it off and IMO, it worked. Even when it was serious, it was still throwing in jokes. I loved it.

Doom

Doom

Stalker

Posted Mar 17, 2012 @ 6:56 PM

They stumbled through some of that, and like others, I'm still not quite sure what I think of it. Roxanne was the shit as per us' though.

sheetmoss

sheetmoss

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 22, 2012 @ 9:51 AM

I really like the fact that so far they're writing Mark--who can be a jerk, as not having any issues w/Neal being gay.

Edited by sheetmoss, Mar 22, 2012 @ 9:52 AM.

2MuchTV

2MuchTV

Fanatic

Posted Mar 22, 2012 @ 12:33 PM

Well, that was a lot better. They managed to get back to balancing serious moments with laughs, and there was some really funny stuff. ("Taking the bowls!" "No! No bowls!" Don't know why that made me laugh as much as it did, but...it did.) And Whitney herself pulled off the dramatic stuff much better. Glad to have you back, show.

So, was the whole Neal-and-Lily-break-up-out-of-nowhere, Neal's-actually-relieved, oh-wait-now-he's-gay arc come about because they knew they were going to have Alex and Whitney get engaged (and married?) and didn't want to have two engaged/married couples on the show? If so, then I do appreciate how the writers are thinking out and planning their show (even if last week still didn't work for me). Still hope the show comes back.

iggystar

iggystar

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 22, 2012 @ 1:46 PM

Neal's-actually-relieved, oh-wait-now-he's-gay arc come about because they knew they were going to have Alex and Whitney get engaged (and married?)

Wait, is that what happened last episode, Alex and Whit got engaged?

2MuchTV

2MuchTV

Fanatic

Posted Mar 22, 2012 @ 2:11 PM

Yep. In last night's ep.

SoCal30

SoCal30

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 22, 2012 @ 6:13 PM

This episode was pretty bad. I could not stop laughing at how awful Alex was at being drunk. I really want to like this show, so I hope it hits its stride soon.

Bunny LaJoya

Bunny LaJoya

Fanatic

Posted Mar 22, 2012 @ 6:13 PM

Ughhhhhh. I love this show so much and I hate myself for it in equality.

Kind of kidding about that last part; but yeah wow. I'm a fan.

Somebody

Somebody

Fanatic

Posted Mar 22, 2012 @ 8:26 PM

Aw I really liked this last episode. I liked the proposal. Whitney makes me laugh I can't help it.

gazebogrl

gazebogrl

Fanatic

Posted Mar 22, 2012 @ 10:24 PM

Alex makes me laugh. He was the only guy on this Show that really made me smile. Loved Alex being drunk. Loved Alex proposing to Whitney and Whitney getting all soft and emotional about it. Frankly, I don't think this show is coming back. It's really not that good though few episodes did manage to be funny. Too bad. The characters were just starting to grow on me.

3 is enough

3 is enough

Fanatic

Posted Mar 22, 2012 @ 11:09 PM

Looks like next week is the season finale, unless they did more than 22 episodes, which would be unusual. Wonder if they did the engagement for closure? It's starting to look like they are wrapping things up in case it doesn't get renewed. I would be sad, but not heartbroken.

Edited by 3 is enough, Mar 22, 2012 @ 11:10 PM.

Doom

Doom

Stalker

Posted Mar 23, 2012 @ 6:56 PM

It got really bad in places. The drunkness was awful. But whitney and alex are indeed cute together. And Roxanne was awesome as usual, for the most part. I get the feeling it isn't coming back either. It is watchable, but I don't see it having some kind of staying power.

MickeyMickey

MickeyMickey

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 24, 2012 @ 11:04 PM

I had to pause the DVR so I could finish laughing after the first song Alex played during his proposal. I wonder how many people actually got that? It wasn't a hugely popular song, given its lack of radio friendliness.

(Hint, for those unfamiliar: check the lyrics here to find out what follows "My neck, my back.")

Much to my surprise, I really am growing to enjoy this show. I hope it will miraculously get a 2nd season.

mybabyaidan

mybabyaidan

Fanatic

Posted Mar 26, 2012 @ 7:32 PM

I am actually starting to grow pretty fond of this show. I like how they seem to be genuinely laughing during certain scenes, like when Alex grabbed the bowls, or Whitney said she had a landing strip in the end tag. I can't help it, it makes me smile.

And I LOVE Roxanne.

cjuniverse

cjuniverse

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 28, 2012 @ 5:58 AM

I'm loving this show. The ring part was hilarious. Was that the season finale? Jeez. A lot of shows are finishing earlier this year.

Bunny LaJoya

Bunny LaJoya

Fanatic

Posted Mar 28, 2012 @ 7:47 AM

Well. I'm disappointed. I thought that last week was a lot better. I actually was a fan of the proposal episode. This week kinda ruined it.

2MuchTV

2MuchTV

Fanatic

Posted Mar 28, 2012 @ 9:44 PM

Great finale. I really enjoyed that. If that is the last we see of these characters (though I hope it isn't), then that was a satisfying way of wrapping things up. If not, there's plenty of room for more stories.

I didn't realize how relieved I'd be that they didn't go through with the wedding until it actually happened. After beginning the show as a couple that didn't need marriage and hitting that beat several times over the course of the season, it seemed like a cop-out that they would cave into societal convention and get married after all (despite the sweetness of the proposal). For them to realize they didn't need it and go with the relationship that worked for them --perfect. And since the relationship is tilted so heavily to Whitney having to grow and change, it was nice to have Alex be the one who needed to change his mind and realize he didn't want what he thought he did.

"'Duration of marriage?' We have to decide that now? So...ten years, or...? When's our lease up?"

Aw, I'm going to miss these crazy kids if they don't come back.

3 is enough

3 is enough

Fanatic

Posted Mar 28, 2012 @ 11:07 PM

Well, that felt suspiciously like a series finale. They didn't even do the last minute bit. I will be sad if this is it.

LtleMsInnocent

LtleMsInnocent

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 29, 2012 @ 2:33 AM

Well, that felt suspiciously like a series finale. They didn't even do the last minute bit. I will be sad if this is it.

I think they semi-wrapped up in case this was the series finale, but left it open enough to where they could go places in the next season, which I'm hoping will happen. I know there was a lot of negative press for this show, but, maybe against my better judgment, I've really come to like it. I really liked the end of this episode, where they realized that they already worked and didn't necessarily need the marriage at all, that they were committed and I just found the very end completely sweet. Alex and Whitney's relationship has really made this show for me. I really hope to see it come back.

Doom

Doom

Stalker

Posted Apr 3, 2012 @ 10:12 PM

Roxanne was great in this one too! And after starting the season pretty rough and overacting, Whitney and Alex actually are a likeable, believable couple. I also like how Whitney was the chill one and Alex was the one doing all the hemming and hawing and stuff. I'd guess it has a 50/50 shot.

iggystar

iggystar

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 4, 2012 @ 8:55 AM

I'd guess it has a 50/50 shot.

You've must not have heard about me. I'm the Grim Reaper of television. Just me watching and liking a show increases the chance of cancellation ten fold.

I enjoyed Whitney from the beginning and thought the season finale very endearing. I really hope they give it a second season!

LtleMsInnocent

LtleMsInnocent

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 5, 2012 @ 11:49 AM

I'd guess it has a 50/50 shot.

Well, TV by the numbers upgraded them to more likely to be renewed on their Renew/Cancel index so...there's that...

whywatch

whywatch

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 5, 2012 @ 6:54 PM

Well, TV by the numbers upgraded them to more likely to be renewed on their Renew/Cancel index so...there's that...

As long as it stays away from Thursday night, I guess I can tolerate its existence.

Beloved Aunt

Beloved Aunt

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 11, 2012 @ 3:32 PM

Holy s---! NBC renewed it for a second season. I thought it was dead.

They have the elements of a good show here. Hope they can put it all together in S2.

http://tvline.com/20...hitney-renewed/

Bunny LaJoya

Bunny LaJoya

Fanatic

Posted May 11, 2012 @ 3:36 PM

Beloved Aunt, you have seriously made my day. I'm very happy to hear this. This show really grew on me.

(Oh God, and you're a Curb fan too? Are you perfect?)

Edited by Bunny LaJoya, May 11, 2012 @ 3:37 PM.

2MuchTV

2MuchTV

Fanatic

Posted May 11, 2012 @ 4:58 PM

Glad it's coming back, and I'll get to spend more time with Alex and Whit! I really hope they continue the roll they were on in the second half and the show only continues to improve.

Doom

Doom

Stalker

Posted May 11, 2012 @ 8:48 PM

The Return of Roxanne baby!! Yes! Can't wait til the new season starts!

LtleMsInnocent

LtleMsInnocent

Couch Potato

Posted May 13, 2012 @ 3:45 AM

I'm really happy that the show is coming back. I hope the show continues to get better and better so hopefully more viewers will tune in. I can't wait for more of Alex and Whitney's relationship.

2MuchTV

2MuchTV

Fanatic

Posted May 13, 2012 @ 1:27 PM

The show is moving to Fridays at 8 next season. Not a great timeslot, but it held up well enough in a tough Wednesday slot on its own, so hopefully it can do the same on Friday.