Whitney

• Please log in to reply

387 replies to this topic

Stalkmylife82

Stalkmylife82

Fanatic

Posted May 16, 2011 @ 11:53 AM

'WHITNEY' -- A hilarious look at modern love, "Whitney" is a new multi-camera comedy series about Whitney (Whitney Cummings, "Chelsea Lately") and Alex (Chris D'Elia, "Glory Daze"), a happily unmarried couple. Together for five years, the duo is in no rush to get hitched. However, after attending yet another one of their friends' weddings, Whitney realizes that she and Alex are dangerously close to relationship boredom. Determined not to let that happen, Whitney consults her close circle of opinionated girlfriends -- including Lily (Zoe Lister-Jones, "The Other Guys") and Roxanne (Rhea Seehorn, "The Starter Wife") -- and then snaps into action. A few awkward sexy costumes and one botched seductive evening later, the couple ends up in the emergency room. Even so, Whitney and Alex realize that while their relationship might not be perfect on paper, they really do love each other -- and that works for them. Also starring are Maulik Pancholy (NBC's "30 Rock") as Lily's perfect boyfriend, and Dan O'Brien ("How I Met Your Mother") as an eternal bachelor. "Whitney" is produced by Universal Media Studios and Scott Stuber Productions. Stuber ("The Break Up"), Quan Phung, Betsy Thomas ("My Boys") and Barry Katz ("Last Comic Standing") are executive producers. Cummings also serves as executive producer/writer. Andy Ackerman ("Seinfeld," "The New Adventures of Old Christine") is an executive producer and directed the pilot.

I admit to assuming that this show is going to bomb but I admit that the Clip #2 made me laugh out loud. There, I said it.

Whitney - Preview Clips

bulldawgtownie

bulldawgtownie

Stalker

Posted May 16, 2011 @ 12:55 PM

Yeah, relationship comedies rarely do it for me. That said I like Maulik Pancholy and hope this show does well. Considering this show is a part of NBC's Thursday Night lineup I'll give it at least a couple of viewings.

braggtastic

braggtastic

Stalker

Posted May 16, 2011 @ 2:09 PM

That sounds like the description of a single episode. I don't see how that translates as a series. Pass.

arc

arc

Stalker

Posted May 16, 2011 @ 2:30 PM

I don't see how that translates as a series.

I've been saying over on the Happy Endings thread that some very successful (and even very funny) sitcoms have very thin premises. Sometimes for those shows it seems more like the premise is only necessary to get the script ordered to pilot.

For me, I didn't enjoy either of the first two preview clips (I guess I'll try the rest later). Besides, I don't think any fairly traditional laugh-tracked multi-cam would be a good fit with the rest of NBC's Thursday night block. The way they have it scheduled now, it's the genre-amorphous Community, P&R and the Office - two mockumentaries - and then ... Whitney? Of course you wouldn't want three mockumentaries in a row, that'd be way too much, but I don't think this is the way to go either.

And in isolation, the second clip's one joke kinda stays flat after the first time it's rolled out. There isn't much escalation or new spins on it for me.

ivgotspirit02

ivgotspirit02

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 16, 2011 @ 3:23 PM

Ugh, not a fan of Whitney Cummings as a stand up so I'll probably have to pass on this one.

vb68

vb68

Stalker

Posted May 16, 2011 @ 4:50 PM

I don't think I've ever seen her stand up. Really undecided on this one.

Jon N

Jon N

Fanatic

Posted May 16, 2011 @ 7:31 PM

The preview looks okay, not great, I'll give it a try just because it's Whitney Cummings.

FeverDog

FeverDog

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 18, 2011 @ 7:17 PM

I think this will appeal to people who enjoyed Friends and Sex and the City. Plus, I like Whitney on her Chelsea appearances. She is sharp and funny.

ElectricBoogalo

ElectricBoogalo

Stalker

Posted Jul 19, 2011 @ 6:44 AM

I just happened to see this thread a few hours after I saw a promo for this show. If those clips they showed are the funniest parts of the pilot that are supposed to pull me in, then this show is not going to do it for me. Whitney comes off as obnoxious and whiny and her alleged boyfriend seems like a platonic friend who doesn't seem to like her very much. Wearing white or a hoodie to a wedding? Not funny. Saying, "I won this" after agreeing to change out of said outfit? Not funny. "Some of the cupcakes are missing" and cutting to Whitney eating a cupcake while sarcastic boyfriend says, "Wow, you're on fire"? Not funny.

TryingHarder

TryingHarder

Fanatic

Posted Jul 20, 2011 @ 4:21 AM

Wearing white or a hoodie to a wedding? Not funny. Saying, "I won this" after agreeing to change out of said outfit? Not funny. "Some of the cupcakes are missing" and cutting to Whitney eating a cupcake while sarcastic boyfriend says, "Wow, you're on fire"? Not funny.

You're right, none of it is funny, just bitchy and annoying.

cherrybaby

cherrybaby

Channel Surfer

Posted Jul 20, 2011 @ 1:51 PM

I guess I'm in the minority here, but I think the previews make it look quite entertaining. Whether or not the show will be worth watching when the time comes, who knows.

I'll have to check out who Whitney Cummings is as a comedienne because I've never heard of her.

vb68

vb68

Stalker

Posted Jul 20, 2011 @ 4:25 PM

I think the previews look funny too.

two shoes

two shoes

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jul 21, 2011 @ 2:55 AM

The most recent promo is terribly unfunny. "Why aren't we tapping this?" Pass.

AntBee

AntBee

Channel Surfer

Posted Jul 21, 2011 @ 7:23 AM

For me, that's the funniest one, not that part, but the part at the end where she actually makes her boyfriend fill out forms while wearing her sexy outfit. The other promos are okay, certainly nothing that would get me hooked if I weren't watching the other three sitcoms on NBC on Thursday night, but they're still better than the really awful ones for Free Agents and Up All Night. Maybe one of the three shows will be a hit for NBC, but I'm somewhat relieved, although I admit it's a bit too premature, because I don't want them to cancel Community if these shows start to do better than it.

sprinter

sprinter

Video Archivist

Posted Jul 21, 2011 @ 7:54 AM

I actually think it looks fairly funny despite the cliched premise; I mean, CBS gets a free pass for all of the crap comedy they churn out, and how does this look any worse? Hope it exceeds my expectations and surprises all of the critics.

cherrybaby

cherrybaby

Channel Surfer

Posted Jul 21, 2011 @ 10:09 AM

"Because your hair's up and I ate pork."

To me, that's the funniest one!

but they're still better than the really awful ones for Free Agents and Up All Night.

I also think Up All Night looks funny, so what do I know. I love Christina Applegate.

Edited by cherrybaby, Jul 21, 2011 @ 10:12 AM.

AntBee

AntBee

Channel Surfer

Posted Jul 21, 2011 @ 12:07 PM

I also think Up All Night looks funny, so what do I know. I love Christina Applegate.

I do love the stars of it, and I also really like Hank Azaria, but maybe I keep seeing those promos too much now. I mean it's not as bad as it was for The Event last year, but I'm so ready for them to finally premiere. Although I will say that the promos for Up All Night were better than the ones for Free Agents. I'll tune in for Up All Night because of the stars and because I think it could be funny, it's just hard to get a feeling from just the commercials, but I'm giving a pass to Free Agents unless I hear some really good buzz about it.

vb68

vb68

Stalker

Posted Jul 21, 2011 @ 1:38 PM

I mean, CBS gets a free pass for all of the crap comedy they churn out, and how does this look any worse?

I know what you mean. I've seen so much worse, and this actually looks like it has potential.

Rina99

Rina99

Fanatic

Posted Jul 22, 2011 @ 11:30 PM

I only want to see it because the lead actor played Topher in a hilarious episode of Workaholics, so I'll at least give the pilot a chance. And I admit it, I find the promos mildly amusing and it would be nice to see a sitcom with a stable couple.

Nosleepforme

Nosleepforme

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 6, 2011 @ 4:44 PM

I don't think this looks any worse than the other new comedies with fake laughter which the networks are premiering next season. Or maybe I'm just saying that, because I see a little bit of myself in her. When my sister married, everyone was telling me I couldn't wear sneakers to a wedding and I was just not getting it. Who cares if a guest wears sneakers to a wedding? Of course, a hoodie is a little bit more noticeable and distracting. ;)

This show has no chance in hell of surviving the season though. It just doesn't fit in with the Thursday night comedies and I doubt the audience of The Office will stick around for this show, they don't seem to have anything in common. It seems rather broad and I think if they focus too much on Whitney and relationship issues instead of giving the supporting cast (Sanjay!) decent material, then it will get annoying really fast. But even if it turned out to be successful, I don't think I'd be watching more than one or two episodes.

Duh, doomed to fail. I always wonder why the networks always believe in their crappy scheduling decisions, when everybody else sees right away that this won't work.

Jayson79

Jayson79

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 9, 2011 @ 10:07 PM

Finally... a multi-camera comedy on NBC!! The promos look mildly interesting.. and it would be nice to have a non-single camera comedy on NBC (the former kings of comedy!)

Redtracer

Redtracer

Fanatic

Posted Aug 10, 2011 @ 11:36 AM

This is going to sound weird, but has anyone seen the print ad campaign for this show? I've seen it several times in Entertainment Weekly, and I swear, in virtually every picture, Whitney Cummings is grabbing her breasts, smushing them together, or otherwise manipulating them. There's nothing wrong with loving your breasts, of course, but when there are six or seven similar pictures strung together, it just looks bizarre.

Is that part of her act or something?

Edited by Redtracer, Aug 10, 2011 @ 11:38 AM.

tominboston

tominboston

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 10, 2011 @ 12:04 PM

I think the show has reasonable potential to be funny so I'll check it out, but good lord, I'm sick to death of the endless endess endless repeating promos. Jeez, NBC, I noticed. OK now?

Edited by tominboston, Aug 10, 2011 @ 12:05 PM.

Arya Snark

Arya Snark

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 10, 2011 @ 2:00 PM

Ha, agreed! I think that while I'm watching America's Got Talent, the only things I see commercials for are Whitney, Up All Night and ... oh god, the other really awful looking one about co-workers who sleep together.

At least the first two look funny. The last one is, obviously, forgettable..

Cynic

Cynic

Fanatic

Posted Aug 10, 2011 @ 9:32 PM

The couple of commercials I saw for this look awful. It just seems so reliant on the "men are like this, women are like that" tired schtick. I particularly didn't like the one that said if you want to punish a man keep talking. Nice. It doesn't help that I absolutely can't stand Chelsea Handler, so if Whitney is from that circle - ugh.

vb68

vb68

Stalker

Posted Aug 13, 2011 @ 3:07 AM

Jane Kaczmarek is cast.

Jon N

Jon N

Fanatic

Posted Aug 13, 2011 @ 1:28 PM

I'm conflicted, I'm happy for Jane and think she's wonderful, but to be on such a seemingly bad comedy?? I think she's the only person I have hope for on the show.

Contralto

Contralto

Fanatic

Posted Aug 14, 2011 @ 7:41 AM

Whenever I see a promo I think, "They canceled Outsourced for this?!!"

Tabbyclaw

Tabbyclaw

Fanatic

Posted Aug 14, 2011 @ 4:31 PM

The bit with the sexy nurse could be incredibly funny as sketch comedy, where that little slice of life would be all we ever see of those two characters. Especially if you set it up as a prostitute and a client, or some other scenario where the characters don't actually know each other and the man's bafflement over whether or not this is normal behavior would be more justifiable. As it is it just fills me with a sense of "...Really. This is who we're supposed to root for?" She doesn't grasp the concept of sexual roleplay, and the other clips show that she doesn't grasp the concept of every social function having its own set of rules. Hell, she doesn't even grasp the concept of not wearing a tiny dress if you think you're going to get cold. I have a hard time finding someone funny when I'm wondering if they should really be allowed out in public without adult supervision.

HandsFullMama

HandsFullMama

Video Archivist

Posted Sep 5, 2011 @ 7:03 PM

I had not heard too much about Whitney before this, but I saw a preview for it on Hulu after a preview for I Hate My Teenage Daughter.

I found Whitney to be much more amusing, and will watch it if it is on after The Office.