TWoP Howard

TWoP Moderator

Posted Nov 12, 2013 @ 5:00 PM

Before you post in the thread, please read this post

HelenaJ71

HelenaJ71

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 28, 2012 @ 10:42 AM

I appreciate the slow world building and not revealing everything at once. I am optimistic that they may even be able to avoid the hideous retcon halfway through the second season!

ElymianDucat

ElymianDucat

Fanatic

Posted Feb 28, 2012 @ 11:10 AM

I don't want Renard to be the Big Bad either

I don't think Renard is going to be the Big Bad, but is going to be a Big Bad. If that's the case, it will be refreshing. I can't remember the last TV show were they had multiple factions of Bad Guys working against each other as well as against the heros.

chailey

chailey

Fanatic

Posted Feb 28, 2012 @ 11:15 AM

I can't remember the last TV show were they had multiple factions of Bad Guys working against each other as well as against the heros.

Totally different type of show, but that's a running theme on Justified.

SerenitySky

SerenitySky

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 28, 2012 @ 11:16 AM

I read an interview with Sasha Roiz, which I cannot find unfortunately, where he said Renard is primarily out for himself and is definitely not one of the good guys. I think he wants to restore some age-old order among the Wesen where he reigns supreme.

ElymianDucat

ElymianDucat

Fanatic

Posted Feb 28, 2012 @ 11:27 AM

Totally different type of show, but that's a running theme on Justified.

You're absolutely correct, I don't know how could I have forgotten it. Now that I think back outside the genre I realize that the Evil vs Evil vs Good scenario seems to be more common in police shows (The Wire also comes to mind). It's in this genre that writers seem to feel like they need one paramount Big Bad at a time.

Edited by ElymianDucat, Feb 28, 2012 @ 11:31 AM.

possibilities

possibilities

Stalker

Posted Feb 28, 2012 @ 1:46 PM

There's a flaw in the Grimm system if Grimms only get their power when their family's Grimm is dying. How do they ever learn the ropes with no guidance? It doesn't seem like they all find a friend the way Nick does. Marie didn't have one, and she told him not to trust anyone. She also wanted him to break up with Juliette, but that would mean no heir to the Grimm legacy.

It seems to me that Marie should have been training Nick long before she was at death's door, and I'd like to know why she didn't do that. The more I think about it, the more Marie doesn't make sense.

merylinkid

merylinkid

Fanatic

Posted Feb 28, 2012 @ 1:54 PM

Hell, she didn't even attempt to train Nick when she was death's door. All she said was "trust no one." "Kill the bad ones." What the hell kind of advice is that? She couldn't even get more specific like "Yeah, there is royalty out there, watch out for them. I think they are the ones who sent the Reapers after me." Or really anything non-Yodaish.

Prevailing Wind

Prevailing Wind

Fanatic

Posted Feb 28, 2012 @ 1:56 PM

Or really anything non-Yodaish.

At least she spoke "frontwards."

SerenitySky

SerenitySky

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 28, 2012 @ 2:11 PM

I think in an upcoming episode (perhaps even this weeks?) there is to be some revelation about the death of Nick's parents. I'm hoping that they will also shed some light on Grimm succession at that time.

gwalhaved

gwalhaved

Video Archivist

Posted Feb 28, 2012 @ 2:19 PM

Yeah for "Grimm"! I loved how Nick stood up for Monroe - long overdue. The combat scenes were a little lacking for Monroe - guess its all that tofu and Pilates - he didn't seem to change until they shocked him and never changed again even in combat. (Or didn't seem too anyway - I was watching with my daughters - they can be very distracting).

I was disappointed that Nick never changed in our view - I'm dying to see what a Grimm looks like to the Wesen.

Nick Chinlund made a terrible parole officer, but a great Lowen. He does sleezy sooo well. It's a shame his character is gone.

Juliette - didn't your Mama ever tell you not to snoop - you might not like what you find.

What do you think the priest Renard talked to "changed" into? A dragon? A Tasmanian devil? Another Grimm? He took down Leo the Lowen but good - and that screeching - I had to laugh a little - it reminded me of the rabid grasshopper from "A Bug's Life".

Ah, Renard, Renard, Renard, you've got something up your sleeve and it isn't so pretty, is it?

I don't want Renard to be the Big Bad either. I would rather he and Nick were reluctant allies. That they share some of the same enemies but their end goals are different enough to cause tension. As adults they can work around that though. - caseylane

I'd like this too, but I think SerenitySky's info on Renard might be more of the direction they'll go. It would be good if they were sometimes allies, sometimes foes and that there was a balance that they didn't dare screw around with that kept them from killing each other. Tension, tension, tension - it's a great impetus for drama. Let's see if "Grimm" can do it.

chailey

chailey

Fanatic

Posted Feb 28, 2012 @ 2:29 PM

It seems to me that Marie should have been training Nick long before she was at death's door, and I'd like to know why she didn't do that. The more I think about it, the more Marie doesn't make sense.

Yes, it makes no sense at all, especially since the Grimm books leave a lot of stuff out. It seems the earlier Grimms focused on the creatures and how to kill them and not so much on other things like social structure, organ harvesting, etc. If Nick didn't have Monroe, he'd be up a creek. There are several possible reasons that Marie didn't confide in Nick, the first being that he might not believe her. I mean, even if he saw the trailer and the books, he might consider a case of mental illness on his aunt's part. Another reason could be that the last few years of her life she'd been constantly fighting and on the run (possibly). She probably didn't want to blight his teen years, either, so that leaves roughly a decade or so where it would have been realistic to let him in on the secret. In the meantime, Nick is going to college and the police academy (he's got to make a living, Grimm or no). I think that she just procrastinated and certainly didn't expect to get terminal cancer when just in her 50s. However, I also think that she was trying to protect Nick. Perhaps the Reapers and other opponents weren't up on their particular family tree and didn't know he was the "heir in waiting" (though how they couldn't know that when she was the one who raised him from the age of 12 onwards, I don't know). What the hell, maybe there are rules, and the Reapers aren't allowed to go after anyone until they have "turned" Grimm. Her biggest mistake is not telling him about Renard. I have a hard time believing that she didn't know about his existence, though if she got as little training as Nick, maybe that's true.

I think in an upcoming episode (perhaps even this weeks?) there is to be some revelation about the death of Nick's parents. I'm hoping that they will also shed some light on Grimm succession at that time.

Yes, hopefully we'll get more than "they were killed because they were Grimms!" and get something with a little more meat on it. I'm looking forward to this week's episode--it would be nice for Nick to get some background information from someone besides Monroe. I'm hoping that Titus Welliver's character is a complete good guy and not someone who is also manipulating him.

Nick Chinlund made a terrible parole officer, but a great Lowen. He does sleezy sooo well. It's a shame his character is gone.

I wasn't familiar with the actor, but thought he did a great job. Especially loved the line "They don't even know how to die!"

I was disappointed that Nick never changed in our view - I'm dying to see what a Grimm looks like to the Wesen.

Showrunners, please answer this by the end of the season, and pretty please let it be something beyond a change in Nick's expression, (he's getting very good at not reacting to the Wesen transformations, btw).

My Way

My Way

Stalker

Posted Feb 28, 2012 @ 2:44 PM

I loved how Nick stood up for Monroe - long overdue.

I loved it too, but I'm not sure why it's long overdue. Aside from the time Monroe got beaten up (which Nick wasn't there for, but he expressed appropriate concern afterwards) he hasn't really needed standing up for, as far as I can tell.

Nutjob

Nutjob

Stalker

Posted Feb 28, 2012 @ 2:59 PM

I have one nit to pick about Sauly. Didn't Monroe call him a ferret? But when he "changed," he had rodent teeth and looked like a mole or something. Ferrets are NOT RODENTS. *ahem*

I had to get that out.

When I first started watching this show, I thought David G. was a little bland. Now? I think he is smoking hot. I think it's because he has done such a great job with the character, but has been so understated about it that it has taken some time for me to "get" it. But really... SMOKING HOT.

Babalooie

Babalooie

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 28, 2012 @ 3:03 PM

It would be cool if Renard were Nick's long-lost brother or some family member.

gwalhaved

gwalhaved

Video Archivist

Posted Feb 28, 2012 @ 3:39 PM

It would be cool if Renard were Nick's long-lost brother or some family member.

Funny, I was just thinking that they could be cousins.

When I first started watching this show, I thought David G. was a little bland. Now? I think he is smoking hot. I think it's because he has done such a great job with the character, but has been so understated about it that it has taken some time for me to "get" it. But really... SMOKING HOT.

DG does understated well - a rarity for TV. I think Nick was supposed to be the "normal" one amidst all the craziness, if so - I'm sold on that. It reminds me of the Rudyard Kipling poem, "If" - Wikipedia on "If". There's just something wonderful about a man who can be a rock, and still look good doing it. What is it that they say - still waters run deep.

I loved how Nick stood up for Monroe - long overdue.

I loved it too, but I'm not sure why it's long overdue. Aside from the time Monroe got beaten up (which Nick wasn't there for, but he expressed appropriate concern afterwards) he hasn't really needed standing up for, as far as I can tell.

I know Nick cares for Monroe, but Monroe needs a little more affirmation (for example, Monroe's "my favorite color" speil over dinner with Nick in "Organ Grinder"). WE see Nick's care for Monroe, because we're the semi-omniscient audience, we see Nick's reactions when others don't, but Monroe is a little in the dark, sometimes thinking that he's just a convenient friend for Nick, and to be fair, Nick has asked things of Monroe that are a bit presumptive (i.e., asking him to help him look for Angelina even though Nick knew how Monroe felt about her). And as for Monroe needing someone to stand up for him, we all need that in life, no matter how independent and invincible we think we are.

Edited by gwalhaved, Feb 28, 2012 @ 3:41 PM.

fugop

fugop

Fanatic

Posted Feb 28, 2012 @ 3:40 PM

he didn't seem to change until they shocked him and never changed again even in combat. (Or didn't seem too anyway - I was watching with my daughters - they can be very distracting).

Pesky kids! LOL. I know the feeling.

Monroe did change in combat after he went down and Dimitri knocked away his shield. His face morphed as he looked up, but then Dimitri gave him a helluva kick straight to the head, and that was that. I kind of assumed Monroe was trying to get the guy to see reason, esp. after he helped him, but when that didn't work, he finally was going to make a go of it ... until he took the kick to the head. He seemed somewhat dizzy after that. His Monroe-cam looked blurry. I thought maybe that kept him from wolfing out.

I would rather he and Nick were reluctant allies.

I wouldn't mind this down the road, but I'm still hoping Renard's agenda stays secret from Nick for a while. I like that he's such a successful hidden bad guy. Once Nick knows who he is, it will change the whole dynamic, and I really love Renard both as the boss and as a baddie. If Nick knows, the office dynamic has to change. And I'd like to think Hank's too smart not to notice if Nick develops a sudden animosity for their boss.

HelenaJ71

HelenaJ71

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 28, 2012 @ 5:24 PM

So we know that Monroe's past is going to come up at some point. I wonder if that might even be something that Renard does to get some leverage.

http://www.spoilertv...oins-in_28.html Sneak peeks for #13!

glustick

glustick

Just Tuned In

Posted Feb 28, 2012 @ 6:17 PM

I'm new here on TWOP. Just wanted to throw out some things. Here's what I believe:

-Remember that Aunt Marie told Nick that he couldn't marry Juliette? I think that was because Aunt Marie knew Juliette's secret. (stay with me).
-Renard wanted to kill Aunt Marie before she divulged the secret.
-I think that BOTH Renard and Juliette are creatures of some sort AND that Juliette and Renard are somehow related (brother/sister maybe). That's why Renard is still protecting Nick from the Reapers. He's doing it for Juliette's sake.
-There is some sort of monarchical relationship between the Reapers, the Wesen and whatever creature Renard/Juliette are. They seem to have similar goals in keeping the Grimms at bey.

Okay, I'm done. Maybe I'm way off. Just my thoughts. Every time they do a close up on Juliette, I'm just waiting for her face to change.

Question: At the end of the "Organ Grinder" episode, Renard gets that ear in a box and a phone call from a Reaper. The Reaper says something to the effect that "I speak for the Farat (???). Things are getting out of balance..." Anyone else notice that? What's the "Farat?"

Meso

Meso

Fanatic

Posted Feb 28, 2012 @ 6:43 PM

http://www.spoilertv...oins-in_28.html Sneak peeks for #13!

Thanks for those! There's another one on the NBC site that's also quite spoilery, and it seems we will get answers to a couple of the questions brought up recently in this thread.
Three Coins in a Fuchsbau

This one is going to be quite exciting! We might be getting some intel on Renard.

glustick, welcome to TWOP. Interesting speculation. Juliette and Renard shared one scene, in the hospital when Nick was badly injured. He promised her that they would get whoever injured him and she just kept quiet. It's possible that Renard and she are secretly related, but why didn't she recognize the refrigerbeavers or the ogre as creatures? Or did she and kept quiet?

Also, yes, there was discussion about the "Farat", but I don't believe it has yet been revealed what the "Farat" is.

Edited by Meso, Feb 28, 2012 @ 6:44 PM.

HelenaJ71

HelenaJ71

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 28, 2012 @ 6:49 PM

Welcome glustick! :)

SerenitySky

SerenitySky

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 28, 2012 @ 6:50 PM

Although I think most likely Juliette is just a regular human person with no ulterior motives, it is fun to speculate. Maybe she was sent years ago to seduce the future Grimm and was thrilled when she saw the ring because it would bind him to her. Perhaps she has actually fallen in love with him and her pensive attitude was her thinking about what she was going to have to do to him in the future.

Princess Aldrea

Princess Aldrea

Stalker

Posted Feb 28, 2012 @ 11:40 PM

He might not change at all. Maybe it's a sixth sense or a smell or something.

Juliette - didn't your Mama ever tell you not to snoop - you might not like what you find.

She didn't snoop, though. I mean, maybe when she actually opened the ring box but she found that on accident while not snooping and it was pretty obvious what it was even if she didn't open it.

Prevailing Wind

Prevailing Wind

Fanatic

Posted Feb 28, 2012 @ 11:59 PM

I have one nit to pick about Sauly. Didn't Monroe call him a ferret? But when he "changed," he had rodent teeth and looked like a mole or something. Ferrets are NOT RODENTS. *ahem*

It's a shame Larry Linville died back in 2000. He'd have made a great ferret, seein' as how they frequently referred to him as "Ferret Face" on M*A*S*H

ThatPoshGirl

ThatPoshGirl

Stalker

Posted Feb 29, 2012 @ 12:58 AM

Doesn't it seem odd that Nick isn't even curious how the wessen can tell he's a Grimm? At least, not as far as we have seen. In fact, Nick seems to have an off lack of curiosity all the way around. He only seems to have questions when they pertain directly to the case he is working on.

caseylane

caseylane

Fanatic

Posted Feb 29, 2012 @ 8:39 AM

ThatPoshGirl, that is my only complaint about the show. Nick should have been hounding Monroe about Grimm history and lore. I know I would have. Instead he just goes along accepting things.

Prevailing Wind

Prevailing Wind

Fanatic

Posted Feb 29, 2012 @ 8:54 AM

Nick seems to be a detail-oriented guy. Perhaps he just can't wrap his head around the big picture quite yet. He has to digest & mull & ponder what's been happening - I think THEN the bigger questions will arise. He's had a LOT thrown at him all at once. Marie said when it happened to her, it knocked her on her ass for a week. That Nick can actually function seems to be some sort of testament to his fortitude.

But then, did Marie "inherit" her Grimmitude because her sibling, Nick's parent, died? No wonder she was knocked on her ass. Or there are more than one Grimm per generation per family line. <sigh> so many questions...

The more I watch the first two eps, the less I like Marie. She's in the hospital, ostensibly in a coma, when Nick asks Monroe to keep her safe. We can see (and hear his ramblings) that Monroe is conflicted about this. Then he tells an allegedly unconscious Marie that if his parents saw what he was doing, it'd be the last Thanksgiving he's ever invited to... Then Marie opens her eyes and says, "Give it your best shot, Blutbad." Why'd she get so antagonistic? Didn't she realize that what he was doing was SO contrary to his nature and nurture but to her benefit? Or was that the drugs talking? <another sigh>

"Hounding" Monroe. Hahahaha.

fugop

fugop

Fanatic

Posted Feb 29, 2012 @ 10:03 AM

I dunno. Marie was pretty damn vulnerable at that point, so I cut her slack. Plus, the picture of Nick is that he's a different kind of Grimm. My assumption is that Marie's badass-ness is what kept her alive all those years. She's got things out to kill her, and yet she's got this "reformed" Blutbad "guarding" her. I think it would have been much more unnatural for her to be trusting in that situation. She was warning Monroe off, just making sure he wasn't tempted just because she was in a hospital bed.

And while she was wrong to distrust him, she did get attacked in the hospital. So yea, I'll cut her slack on that.

But boy did Nick luck out to meet Monroe. Ya gotta figure that kind of Blutbad doesn't come around too often! LOL.

gwalhaved

gwalhaved

Video Archivist

Posted Feb 29, 2012 @ 10:07 AM

But boy did Nick luck out to meet Monroe. Ya gotta figure that kind of Blutbad doesn't come around too often! LOL.

Amen to that!

chailey

chailey

Fanatic

Posted Feb 29, 2012 @ 11:04 AM

She's got things out to kill her, and yet she's got this "reformed" Blutbad "guarding" her.

A reformed Blutbad who is musing out loud how his family would feel about him guarding a Grimm, no less. She could (and probably did) view it as her "guard" talking himself into attacking her.

SerenitySky

SerenitySky

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 29, 2012 @ 12:27 PM

Grimm got nominated for a Saturn Award:
Best Network Television Series:

Fringe Fox
A Gifted Man CBS
Grimm NBC
Once Upon a Time ABC
Supernatural CW
Terra Nova Fox