TWoP Howard

TWoP Moderator

Posted Nov 12, 2013 @ 5:00 PM

Before you post in the thread, please read this post

chailey

chailey

Fanatic

Posted May 4, 2012 @ 9:15 PM

Kind of a meh episode for me, especially coming after the beaver one last week. I kind of wondered why Soencer assumed that he was speaking to two Grimms, but maybe he assumed that Nick had let Hank in his secret. Nick's expression in that scene was great.

More info on Nick's parents' deaths. I'm thinking that Hank is going to be highly suspicious if murder supspect number 4 also ends up dead in Portland.

Liked the fact that Monroe has a much keener sense of hearing. Dog whistles, anyone? Glad that Nick let him geek out in the trailer. Loved the bewildered look on Renard's face when they showed him the contraption. Hopefully, Nick won't ever run up against any more of that type of Wesen, as he just gave away his only weapon against them.

Anyone else think that Lucinda may have killed her dear old dad? Nice twist that Cinderella was a sociopathic bitch, and her stepsisters the victims.

MsBaxter

MsBaxter

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 4, 2012 @ 9:56 PM

Well. Alrighty then.

That was...okay?

Had this episode come earlier in the season, perhaps I would have enjoyed it more. For me, the success of this show depends on how well the eventual integration of the two sides of Nick's world is handled. The misstep in the interrogation room, the "murder weapon", these little cracks are what were interesting to me in this episode, but how long can this go on believably? I guess Grimm case-of-the-week doesn't do it for me anymore. Too many unanswered questions, too many plot holes.

I love you Grimm. Don't break my heart.

(You know, I never liked Cinderella. Now I know why.)

aquarian1

aquarian1

Stalker

Posted May 4, 2012 @ 10:06 PM

I kept thinking either Akira or the detective were going to turn out to be a Grimm. Guess we'll find out in a later episode.

I felt bad for Lucinda's husband. He loses all his money and his wife turns out to be a sociopathic murderous bat creeature, who then died in a mutual murder with his wife's godfather (and his good friend?), but before she left she made sure to tell him that she never loved him.

chailey

chailey

Fanatic

Posted May 4, 2012 @ 10:17 PM

I felt bad for Lucinda's husband.

Well, on the plus side, at least she didn't explode his eyeballs. Going bankrupt and losing his spouse in the same week, but he still managed to luck out on that.

Re next week... Wonder if Hank is going to go the denial route or not.

Meso

Meso

Fanatic

Posted May 4, 2012 @ 10:25 PM

I liked the reverse Cinderella story, but the B-story was better for me, with knowledge about the Japanese-looking 4th person in Nick's parents' murder. I am anticipating he will turn up in the next episode or two and hopefully Nick avenging his parents' death will be complete. Surely he must be after the Coins of Zakynthos? Also, I was truly afraid that game was up with Hank during the interrogation. Afterwards too: how are they going to explain how Spencer got out of the room plus all the shattered glass at the police station? I liked Juliette's little bit of involvement investigation the Rhinebeck murder - she was the one investigating the last time too.

I badly want Nick to find out about Renard.

Also, Nick and Monroe were foolish in turning that thing on in the trailer. I was cringing before the glass vial and stuff broke. Hopefully they don't need those things again.

mysticowl

mysticowl

Fanatic

Posted May 4, 2012 @ 10:30 PM

I felt bad for Lucinda's husband. He loses all his money and his wife turns out to be a sociopathic murderous bat creeature,

I'm pretty sure the husband knew exactly what she was. He and Spencer had that ominously significant conversation in which Spencer said that the husband (Arthur?) was supposed to take care of her now and not let things happen. Imagine that conversation when Arthur proposed? Spencer had to pull him aside and go, "She has this tendency to wander off and kill people, so it's going to be your job to make sure that doesn't happen, are you cool with that?" And obviously Arthur went, "Totally cool."

I do like the twist on Cinderella, that she was in fact the bad guy here. Still, the real bright spot of the episode was Monroe's giddiness about all the cool Grimm tech.

Now, someone who understands Spanish naming convention back me up on this, but the Spanish Grimm who wrote about these bat creatures was called "Name Name de Spanish.Lastname y Grimm" - doesn't that mean that "Grimm" was this man's mother's last name?

We're supposed to spoiler promo discussion, right?
Spoiler

Edited by mysticowl, May 4, 2012 @ 10:33 PM.

oshinari

oshinari

Channel Surfer

Posted May 4, 2012 @ 10:50 PM

Very, very quick and brief (for me anyway lol) thoughts on the episode.

Wow that was actually kinda creepy and kinda cringy, blown out eyes and ear drums wise. I'm curious about mainstream reactions for this episode. It was really rather hyped, the Cinderella aspect but because it came off last week's one that had so many awesome fan moments... Hm...

Juliette used the same words as Monroe did in The Ogre Game "Whatever you were dreaming about, it couldn't have been good."

So not exactly enough Monroe. For me, anyway. Screen time wise he was same as normal, but I think it was the complete lack of him through the whole first half that made his absence seem more, somehow... Though it was nice to have a scene with the implication that they've been together for an however amount of time already, that doesn't often happen. Usually scenes with them have the start of the contact; Nick calling or turning up, or Monroe arriving at the trailer. And after all of Nick's "Hey Monroe, easy!" and "Careful with that" Monroe finally actually broke something!

Also kinda liked that Nick's relationships with both Hank and Juliette were giving a bit of readdressing, him opening up to both of them and all. The 'Hm, I wonder how amazing you'd be if I told you about all my Grimm adventures' hinting kinda made me hmph, but that's really only because I personally don't like Juliette. But I appreciate the lining up the plot approach of her finding out.

Surprised with the lack of Renard given there's only a couple episodes. Thought there would be more development with him and his story. The lack of the Reapers deaths reaction made me pout a bit.

I know this isn't what most people were prolly focusing on at the time, what with the Hank and Nick's reactions to Nick being a Grimm comments and all, but when Spencer said "shouldn't I be like, signing something..." I giggled. He spoke so calmly and articulately the whole episode, then threw a 'like' in there teehee.

Monroe's "Am I too late?" was totally cute.

Didn't like that Nick didn't even glance at Monroe when he was clearly in pain...especially when Monroe was so vocally worried about Nick.

Oh, well, hope you don't need another one of those high frequency weapon type things Nick, now that you've just given it away...

ooh loved the "And something I'm going to have to deal with" and the 'I'll bring the fight to you' attitude.

That's the first time I've noticed "Promotional Consideration Furnished by Apple" at the credits, though not at all surprising lol.

Also, was there any reason why she had a total lack of conscience? It wasn't a case of all those Wesen are evil and blood thirsty cuz Spencer obviously wasn't so...why? Female trait of that Wesen? Did we find out?

Edited by oshinari, May 4, 2012 @ 11:48 PM.

SerenitySky

SerenitySky

Couch Potato

Posted May 4, 2012 @ 10:59 PM

I've seen quite a few tweets and posts of facebook really liking this episode. I'm waiting to see it in a minute or two! I think they've done a remarkable job maintaining the quality they have over 20 something episodes now. Many shows can't do this with only 13!

Prevailing Wind

Prevailing Wind

Fanatic

Posted May 4, 2012 @ 11:06 PM

Also, was there any reason why she had a total lack of conscience? It wasn't a case of all those Wesen are evil and blood thirsty cuz Spencer obviously wasn't so...why? Female trait of that Wesen? Did we find out?

Might be that in addition to being Wesen, she's also a regular ol' sociopath.

I'm not gonna freak out about the promo. NBC is notorious for their mis-leading promos.

oshinari

oshinari

Channel Surfer

Posted May 4, 2012 @ 11:24 PM

Spoiler

Spoiler

Sorry for so much black out, just don't wanna risk someone seeing something they really didn't want spoiled.

Might be that in addition to being Wesen, she's also a regular ol' sociopath.

She was a pretty good one!

Seeing as Farley Kolt was brought up in the episode, I have a question...
Do we definitely know if Marie knew that Farley was Wesen? He said that when her sister died she left him to raise Nick...and in the first episode Marie tells Nick that when she started to see Wesen it knocked her on her ass for a week... And that must have started at the earliest, the second Nick's mum died (Nick only starts before Marie actually dies because it's a natural, destined death) And there's no real indication that she was physically close to her sister (I mean to the point that maybe her sister had met and knew about Farley and told her) so...do we think she even knew what he was? Maybe she was badass Grimm who never even knew she once seriously dated a Wesen?

Surely at the most she may have known about him from her sister but couldn't actually relate to it cuz she couldn't see it, or during only a very short period after Nick's parents died but before they broke up...

Or do we think that somehow it worked differently for them because they were sisters and they were Grimm's together at the same time?

I guess I'd just be tickled by the idea that she was this hardcore Grimm who was totally unaware that she'd been engaged to a Wesen...

Edited by oshinari, May 4, 2012 @ 11:34 PM.

tpel

tpel

Fanatic

Posted May 4, 2012 @ 11:28 PM

I quite liked this one. The godfather character was kind of awesome, and I liked the Cinderella subversion. Monroe could have had more screen time, but what he did have was great -- sometimes he seems tacked on to an episode, but this time his inclusion felt natural. Loved his geekiness, and also his toughness, keeping on cranking the sonic screwdriver even though it caused him pain. Though I like Renard, I'm not sure I care as much about Wesen politics as the writers want me to, so this story was a nice break from all that.

The actor who played the godfather seemed very familiar to me. At first I thought he played Tuvix back on a Star Trek Voyager episode, but I can't find that actor's name (Tom Wright) associated with Grimm in any way.

Princess Aldrea

Princess Aldrea

Stalker

Posted May 4, 2012 @ 11:35 PM

So if Lucinda regularly terrorized her stepsisters and just made everyone's life miserable then why do both sisters think it must be Spencer who committed murder?

I LOVED the confession scene.

mysticowl

mysticowl

Fanatic

Posted May 4, 2012 @ 11:38 PM

The actor who played the godfather seemed very familiar to me. At first I thought he played Tuvix back on a Star Trek Voyager episode, but I can't find that actor's name (Tom Wright) associated with Grimm in any way.

I'm pretty sure it's him, though, I think IMDB just hasn't been updated with the Grimm episode yet.

Bentley

Bentley

Couch Potato

Posted May 4, 2012 @ 11:52 PM

The actor who played the godfather seemed very familiar to me.

I know him from Seinfeld. George's boss. He who ate his candy bar with a fork.

This was just an okay episode for me.

I think Nick made a big mistake bringing in one of his weapons to the police station. It's not Nick's responsibility to explain the weirdness of the case. That's why books and shows with titles like Tales of the Unexplained exist. Also, that may not be the only creature of that species he ever comes across. What's he going to do, steal it out of the evidence room? Assuming his captain doesn't already have other plans for it, which also concerns me...

And speaking of that weapon, it sure does seem kind of an awkward one. "Please stand still and listen while I crank up my gramophone here..."

Agree with an earlier poster. Not enough Monroe in this one.

A nice twist would be to have the 4th guy (Japanese guy?) not what he seems. He wasn't still with the other 3 alleged killers committing robberies, after all. That may prove to be significant.

Edited by Bentley, May 5, 2012 @ 12:00 AM.

HelenaJ71

HelenaJ71

Couch Potato

Posted May 5, 2012 @ 12:27 AM

Yeah, I wasn't crazy about this one either. Too much Other People (which was the same problem I had with "Of Mouse and Man." I don't care about the Other People.

Rinslet

Rinslet

Video Archivist

Posted May 5, 2012 @ 1:00 AM

Just to chime in on the promo...

Spoiler

mysticowl

mysticowl

Fanatic

Posted May 5, 2012 @ 1:23 AM

Rinslet, that's the promo I've been working from. I know the line you're talking about,
Spoiler

Rinslet

Rinslet

Video Archivist

Posted May 5, 2012 @ 1:31 AM

Spoiler

bmills

bmills

Fanatic

Posted May 5, 2012 @ 1:33 AM

I was just sure Spencer was Batgirl's real dad, but except for my theory about that being wrong, I have to agree that this week's story was somewhat predictable. I didn't dislike it, but it didn't wow me.

Random thoughts: It amused me that the stepsisters were only homely by tv standards, and I thought the younger one was actually rather attractive. And the creature faces were much better this week. I kind of liked them. Was there any particular reason why Spencer had to Ella Fitzgerald the interogation room window instead of just kicking it? Would a detective tell relatives of the victims who the suspects in a murder were, even if he is a detective himself?

It's not Nick's responsibility to explain the weirdness of the case.

Yeah, why start now, costing yourself a unique weapon?

And speaking of that weapon, it sure does seem kind of an awkward one.

Perhaps, but it was made with the tech available at the time, and as we saw in the garage scene, it can zap a large area so you don't have to get close to use it. It seemed to work well enough that the Grimm who built it survived, anyway.

Monroe was cute as always, but where's Rosalee?

Keighvin

Keighvin

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 5, 2012 @ 1:54 AM

Spoiler

SJ82

SJ82

Video Archivist

Posted May 5, 2012 @ 2:20 AM

I thought this episode was fine except that I didn't really like the fact that they make the poor bats out to be one of the evil wesen. In my book they're a lot closer to the beavers of the world--rather cute, harmless little creatures. Well, except for the vampire variety, that is. (/soapbox) As for the plot, surely Renard knows his wesen well enough to know what Cinderella really was, and that the contraption had to be Nick's. He's definitely got a good poker face that Nick would do well to emulate whenever he sees someone making a wesen-face. I wonder how long it will take for the writers to let Nick find out that Renard is not what he seems to be?

For those who've been spoilering the promo, it's not necessary:

Spoiler Rules

Edited by SJ82, May 5, 2012 @ 2:58 AM.

Cress

Cress

Stalker

Posted May 5, 2012 @ 2:31 AM

I don't think they were saying that all bat wesen are evil, just Lucinda. Spencer said she had no conscience, like she's a sociopath. Presumably, Spencer himself has a conscience by which he can judge Lucinda's morals. I'm sure Spencer was a nice bat person, and maybe Lucinda's father and mother were nice too, but unfortunately, Lucinda was no good.

Edited by Cress, May 5, 2012 @ 2:32 AM.

Rinslet

Rinslet

Video Archivist

Posted May 5, 2012 @ 3:25 AM

Agreed. I didn't get the impression at all that the bat-type were bad. Sure, some are evil, like with all other creatures Nick has encountered, but for this particular one it was clearly just Lucinda herself that's bad.

HoneyBee

HoneyBee

Stalker

Posted May 5, 2012 @ 4:15 AM

Hmmm... I was kinda sleepy watching this episode. After many amazing episodes, it was kinda letdown. They were lingering too much with Lucinda storyline. Did they have to show EVERYTHING and focus on them instead of the main characters? I feel like Nick and the rest of the main characters were being sideline here to provide the guests storyline. They didn't have to show the business man killed himself or showing Spencer and the husband pleading for money to the step mom for misdirection. I prefer if they went straight to the point, by showing the step mom being attacked by this bat creature and then intro title. It took almost 10 minutes for cold opening without main characters or recurring.

Although the 'And they live happily ever after....' thing made me soooo uncomfortable.

I'm glad they were going with that sonic boom machine instead a stake for example, hehe.

That guy Akira is Japanese. I wonder whether he's a Japanese Grimm.

Cress

Cress

Stalker

Posted May 5, 2012 @ 4:33 AM

I found the episode enjoyable, even though I could predict early on that Lucinda was a bat creature like Spencer. I liked the slow reveal from her as an innocent, ignorant wife who was protected from financial difficulty by her husband, into the monster who terrorized her family. I liked that Juliet comforted Nick about his dream and then got in touch with the other cop. She's very helpful, and I liked her banter with Nick on the phone.

MsTaken

MsTaken

Stalker

Posted May 5, 2012 @ 6:14 AM

I'm happily surprised by how much I enjoyed this one. It's not just the *idea* of subverting the usual Cinderella story that I liked, though I did; I thought the actual execution was great. I found it engaging and clever, and all the characters struck me as really well cast.

I don't dislike Juliette, but I still feel like she's sadly lacking in any character definition or personality. As much as I blame the writers, I've realized that the actress herself just doesn't work for me. She delivers most of her lines in this hollow, failing-to-enunciate monotone, and something about her facial expression (which almost never changes) just comes off as so blank and vapid that I find myself not buying her as this highly intelligent vet.
I have similar complaints about the, IMO, still relatively bland and undefined Nick and the actor who plays him, though at least Nick's allowed a slightly wider range of emotions and reactions in any given episode.

Maybe that's why I liked this episode so much---I'd rather spend time on developing engaging, compelling cases (and this one fell into that category for me!) than on more scenes with our core characters, as the only ones I find really interesting are Renard and, of course, Monroe. I do agree with the complaint that there wasn't enough Monroe...is there ever?! ;)

Haleth

Haleth

Fanatic

Posted May 5, 2012 @ 7:28 AM

I am pissed off at the promo monkeys for revealing that Lucinda was the killer. The voiceover for the promos said, "Wait till you see what she turns into after midnight." (Not that it wasn't predictable that she was the bad guy, but at least let us viewers figure it out for ourselves!)

Maybe the Japanese guy has something to do with the Japanese spider people mentioned in the book? I don't know why he'd take out Nick's parents if he himself was a Grimm. Unless he was after the other 3 guys when the parents accidentally got in the way?

Prevailing Wind

Prevailing Wind

Fanatic

Posted May 5, 2012 @ 7:55 AM

I am pissed off at the promo monkeys for revealing that Lucinda was the killer. The voiceover for the promos said, "Wait till you see what she turns into after midnight." (Not that it wasn't predictable that she was the bad guy, but at least let us viewers figure it out for ourselves!)

...which is why I try to avoid promos. I couldn't last night - sleeping kitty on my lap with the remote dumped onto the floor while kitten had been playing - but even though it may not be in the 'spoiler rules,' I think that promos - at least NBC's - should be spoiler barred. I learned the hard way with NBC promos from a "Homicide: Life on the Streets" episode that was completely ruined for me by the damn promo.

I'm pretty sure I saw "Tom Wright" in the opening title sequence. Having that many guest stars may also be a factor as to why the teaser/titles took so long - too many names to cram in there.

virgo79

virgo79

Couch Potato

Posted May 5, 2012 @ 8:38 AM

I was half waiting for something to happen with Monroe and the coins, either when he and Nick were in the trailer together, or when Nick sent him after the anti-bat cannon. I've been wondering ever since Nick stashed them in there if that was going to become a problem at some point, since Monroe is the only other person who's in that trailer regularly.

Actionmage

Actionmage

Fanatic

Posted May 5, 2012 @ 8:40 AM

I am pissed off at the promo monkeys...

Can I get an 'Amen!' Promo monkeys are the worst, especially in the last decade. But, as to the show proper.

I liked that from the cold open we were actually shown that Lucinda, while soft-spoken and polite, was totally spoiled and uncaring about anything besides her. The death, which precipitated the whole string of murders, was actually pretty quick. I loved that the stepmom's office had a poster for 'The Perfect Slipper.'(props to the Props!)

It was atmospheric and suitably creepy for all the families that apparently watch, imo. I could hear the quotes around protect everytime Spencer spoke about Lucinda, but that wasn't a problem for me.I just wondered why Nick and Hank weren't picking up on it. It was a sad tale of parenting by no discipline. Her mom dies when she's nine and her dad dies shortly after he marries a woman who not only doesn't get along with his daughter, but the older girls also don't get along with her. I'm starting to agree with the poster who was wondering about Ol' Lu killing Dad, but why not her first kill being Mom? A typical tantrum gone horribly awry by way of Wesen genetics?

Tom Wright owned the episode and is episode MVP, Most Victimized Protector.

Show of hands: who thought Suspect four was gonna be Renard? Just me? Okay.

IA with giving the sonic dohickey up was stupid, but as another poster mentioned, it was pretty old school. Now Monroe's mad mechanical skills have a chance to come into play by coming up with a better, faster, more portable sonic dohickey! I'm not claiming that my beloved Eddie knows all, but more modern tech needs the skills Monroe has as a repairer of watches- the ability to work with teeny components.

Bring on the Hank/Monroe meet cute!