TWoP Moderator

Posted Nov 12, 2013 @ 5:00 PM

Before you post in the thread, please read this post

Trini Girl

Trini Girl

Stalker

Posted May 15, 2011 @ 6:09 PM

From the NBC press release:

"Grimm" is a new drama series inspired by the classic Grimm's Fairy Tales. Remember the fairy tales your parents used to tell you before bedtime? Those weren't stories -- they were warnings. Nick Burkhardt (David Guintoli "Turn The Beat Around") thought he prepared himself for the realities of working as a homicide detective until he started seeing things he couldn't quite explain. When his ailing Aunt Marie (guest star Kate Burton, "Grey's Anatomy") arrives, Nick's life turns upside down when she reveals they are descendants of an elite group of hunters, also known as "Grimms," who fight to keep the balance of humanity safe from the supernatural creatures of the world. As Nick digs deeper into her past, he realizes that he will have to shoulder the responsibility of his ancestors -- and contend with a larger-than-life mythology of the Brothers Grimm that is now all too real.

Russell Hornsby ("Lincoln Heights"), Bitsie Tulloch ("Quarterlife"), Silas Weir Mitchell ("Prison Break"), Reggie Lee ("Persons Unknown") and Sasha Roiz ("Caprica") also star. "Grimm" is a production of Universal Media Studios and Hazy Mills Productions. Sean Hayes and Todd Milliner ("Hot in Cleveland") serve as executive producers, Jim Kouf ("National Treasure," "Angel") and David Greenwalt ("Buffy the Vampire Slayer," "Angel") are the creators/executive producers and Marc Buckland ("My Name Is Earl") is the director.

Trailer at the official website: http://www.nbc.com/grimm

gl_shark

gl_shark

Couch Potato

Posted May 15, 2011 @ 7:46 PM

I'll definitely check it out. Seeing the Buffy/Angel credits has me interested. Watched the preview videos on the site and now I'm hoping Kate Burton's character sticks around.

Edited by gl_shark, May 15, 2011 @ 7:55 PM.

Jayson79

Jayson79

Couch Potato

Posted May 15, 2011 @ 7:50 PM

I'm hoping NBC gives the show time to grow especially since it's being put in a very tricky time slot on Friday and behind a very poor lead-in.

Still I've been a life long lover of fairy tales and will be interested to see how the show combines the magic of fairy tales with the grim reality of a police procedural!

Trini Girl

Trini Girl

Stalker

Posted May 15, 2011 @ 7:56 PM

Forgot one thing:
As the schedule stands now, Grimm will air Fridays at 9pm after Chuck. I don't know if premiering it on Friday will help this show at all. Especially when (so far) it will be going up against both Fringe and Supernatural.

Pache

Pache

Fanatic

Posted May 15, 2011 @ 10:53 PM

The scheduling could kill this for me. I already watch Supernatural and Fringe and unless my cable company suddenly lets me DVR more than 2 shows at a time, Grimm loses out. BAD NBC, BAD. Oh well, maybe it will be on ON Demand or Hulu or Netflix. I would love to check this out legally.

minneapple

minneapple

Stalker

Posted May 15, 2011 @ 11:07 PM

It should be On Demand since Comcast owns NBC. Fridays at 9 p.m. isn't the greatest timeslot, but hopefully it means NBC can afford to give it some time (then, too, at least it's on NBC and not on Fox).

I'm excited for this one, because of the Buffy/Angel pedigree. It sounds a bit like Buffy with fairytales.

Vermicious Knid

Vermicious Knid

Stalker

Posted May 16, 2011 @ 3:00 AM

Sounds a bit like Supernatural as well with the hunting aspect. I wouldn't be surprised if it siphons off some of their viewership.

mustbekarma

mustbekarma

Fanatic

Posted May 16, 2011 @ 8:22 PM

I want to see this show badly. The preview really caught my interest. But damn, talk about the channels trying to become the new kings of SciFi Friday! I'd never thought I'd see a Friday night where three shows at 9 p.m. would vie for my interest. The really ironic thing for me is that none of those shows are on the Sci Fi Channel.

Oh well, I'll watch one of the three live and catch the other two on Hulu. At least Fox and NBC have been great about putting up episodes the day after. I don't have a Nielsen box, so Hulu's the only way I would get counted.

vb68

vb68

Stalker

Posted May 16, 2011 @ 10:43 PM

As the schedule stands now, Grimm will air Fridays at 9pm after Chuck. I don't know if premiering it on Friday will help this show at all. Especially when (so far) it will be going up against both Fringe and Supernatural.

I'm not sure if it could have gotten a worse timeslot.

scarynikki12

scarynikki12

Fanatic

Posted May 16, 2011 @ 11:01 PM

Bad timeslot or no, I cannot wait for this show.

vb68

vb68

Stalker

Posted May 16, 2011 @ 11:11 PM

Yeah, I'm looking forward to it myself. It should be good.

Eruantien

Eruantien

Video Archivist

Posted May 17, 2011 @ 12:59 AM

Okay, that looks like it might be cool. Looks like a nice blend of dark stories, with some good humor. Hopefully it's not another stinker like The Cape.

FurryFury

FurryFury

Fanatic

Posted May 17, 2011 @ 1:56 AM

Not sure if I liked the trailer, but I'll definitely check out a new show by David Greenwalt (who was one of Angel's showrunners).
And speaking of the trailer, I liked the sidekick guy (the older one who's some sort of monster). I wonder if he's in the main cast.

TVspectator

TVspectator

Fanatic

Posted May 17, 2011 @ 5:28 PM

Just saw the trailer (I am impress), and I hope that they saved the best for the actual show, and that they used "Sweet Dreams" as the theme song.

BDArizona

BDArizona

Fanatic

Posted May 17, 2011 @ 7:13 PM

It should be On Demand since Comcast owns NBC

If Comcast is your cable provider. I'm not sure how it works if you have another provider. I have Cox. I don't know if they carry the same shows on their OnDemand service that Comcast carries.

I'll watch this. Hell, Fridays haven't killed other shows by ME alums, right? Oh, wait...

Edited by BDArizona, May 17, 2011 @ 7:14 PM.

RandomNation

RandomNation

Couch Potato

Posted May 20, 2011 @ 4:34 AM

I'm definitely checking this out. I've been waiting for David Greenwalt to write another show for years so the fact that it's another supernatural show excites me greatly!

Maybe they'll look better once we can see the episode in full, but does anyone else think the special effects need some, er, work? I woulda figured since they're on NBC they'd be high quality but some of that(maybe it's makeup more than anything) looks worse than Supernatural(which tends to have pretty good cgi at times).

thewhiteowl

thewhiteowl

Fanatic

Posted May 20, 2011 @ 12:51 PM

I will definitely be tuning in for this. I think a cop drama and Grimm's version of the fairy tales could really work. Not the watered down Disney version but in the old version some things were truly grim and frightening. Many ordinary things became dangerous and life-threatening in the hands of the Brothers Grimm. If they use old fairy-tales or folklore from other countries the possibilities are almost limitless without delving into pure fiction.

RandomNation

RandomNation

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 15, 2011 @ 6:43 AM

So I guess the writers have been hired already for the show and have met with the cast, as per Sasha Roiz. Anyone have a particular writer they'd like to see on the show? Sticking with the Angel alumns, I'd go with season 1 writer Jeannine Renshaw...and maybe Mere Smith(I loved Orpheus and some of her season 2 stuff...but she tended to be really hit or miss for me). Outside of the Angelverse though, I really like Rina Mimoun. She's a great character writer and has a predominantly family drama background, but she worked on season 1 of Pushing Daisies, so she has the fantasy aspect down as well.

Lugal

Lugal

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 15, 2011 @ 2:17 PM

I'm intrigued and I'll probably check it out. I'd love for something to fill that folkloric niche (at least until American Gods starts up) It looks like they're going for the original darker stories rather than the Disneyfied versions, which is also cool.

Trini Girl

Trini Girl

Stalker

Posted Jul 13, 2011 @ 12:32 AM

So the premiere date is Friday, October 21st. It's starting late, and it's going up against direct competion in the timeslot (Supernatural; Fringe); this might get crushed.

LoneHaranguer

LoneHaranguer

Fanatic

Posted Jul 14, 2011 @ 11:47 AM

I wonder if they'll use any of the stories where the bad guy is a human, killing supernatural characters after getting what he wants. I wouldn't want this to become a MOTW, and turning things around once in a while would help.

Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta

Fanatic

Posted Jul 14, 2011 @ 5:36 PM

I'm up for this, too. From the ads, it might be on the formulaic side, but I guess I can hack that. Main character is cute, that's the important thing.

The Mad Maple

The Mad Maple

Stalker

Posted Aug 11, 2011 @ 5:56 PM

This is actually one of the shows I was looking forward to this year. I'll no doubt tune in right up until it goes on hiatus to make room for Christmas specials and is quietly cancelled over the holidays.

Turkish

Turkish

Stalker

Posted Aug 11, 2011 @ 7:20 PM

Main character is cute, that's the important thing.

My boy, Dave Giuntoli. I used to have such a crush on him when I was younger and he was on Road Rules.

vb68

vb68

Stalker

Posted Aug 15, 2011 @ 8:01 PM

So the premiere date is Friday, October 21st.

Why is it so late?

marketdoctor

marketdoctor

Fanatic

Posted Aug 16, 2011 @ 7:50 AM

Why is it so late?

These are guesses, but:

1. They don't want to counter-program the entire baseball playoffs (but they might hit the World Series for an episode.)
2. They want to avoid going against the premiere episodes of other shows, and wait for some of the Friday cannon fodder to fail.
3. They know the show is a little risky, so they want the extra month to tweak the format.

Some shows are successful with a later start (30 Rock), but there's no (sorry) magic formula.

Redtracer

Redtracer

Fanatic

Posted Aug 16, 2011 @ 7:55 AM

The cynical side of me says that, by waiting a month, NBC decreases their chances of getting stuck with the "first cancelled show" honor.

Sometimes shows are held for later in the fall so they can be substituted for other shows that instantly bomb and have to be pulled, but I don't think this is the case here. Maybe NBC will be rerunning episodes of their new shows on Fridays for the first few weeks of the season? Extra exposure and all that.

Vermicious Knid

Vermicious Knid

Stalker

Posted Aug 17, 2011 @ 12:01 AM

Avoiding the playoffs maybe?

Trini Girl

Trini Girl

Stalker

Posted Aug 31, 2011 @ 3:56 PM

They updated the website.
I didn't know Reggie Lee was going to be on this; so that's two Prison break alumni!

stillshimpy

stillshimpy

Stalker

Posted Aug 31, 2011 @ 4:13 PM

Just found out about this one, after wandering over to NBC's site to see what, if anything, looked interesting for the new season. They had a couple of things that looked interesting.

As for the timeslot, yeah, that's going to make it a rough ride for a lot of people. I haven't watched Supernatural in years and Fringe lost me early on by grossing me out too much in something like the third episode.

I know it's unlikely to succeed, but it looks interesting and the cast seemed pretty instantly likable based on the trailer.

It looks like fun, without being as campy as the ABC offering in sort of the same vein.