Alcatraz: Escaping Time and Space

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

1268 replies to this topic

ganesh

ganesh

Stalker

Posted May 14, 2012 @ 10:58 PM

TPTB might have been better served by trying something different and not forcing this concept into a typical tv show box. Maybe show the time travel right in the beginning of the show and then unravel the mystery as the show progresses? I don't know.

I'm not convinced TPTB know the how and the why of the time travel. I think they had a pretty decent idea for a show and figured they could string people along long enough to figure it out. That just doesn't work anymore.

Princess Aldrea

Princess Aldrea

Stalker

Posted May 15, 2012 @ 9:09 AM

I think the problem was taking such a high-concept idea and trying to make it a procedural.

ganesh

ganesh

Stalker

Posted May 15, 2012 @ 2:28 PM

You could argue that Fringe is kind of a procedural, but they wisely focused far more on character development than with this show.

djsunyc

djsunyc

Couch Potato

Posted May 15, 2012 @ 3:07 PM

JJ Abrams is really coming up empty these days when it comes to television.

Jordan44

Jordan44

Couch Potato

Posted May 20, 2012 @ 7:02 PM

My only thought is that when the show is founded on a mystery like this one was, for the fans' sake (however many there were left) it would be nice to have say a 2 hour special episode that would wrap up loose ends and explain what was going on.

I wish a network would announce that when a show goes a full season and is cancelled that they will film an episode or episodes giving us answers and not leave us hanging.

Might be a great selling point over another network.

How many shows have been on that the mystery was never revealed? Too many.

Edited by Jordan44, May 20, 2012 @ 7:03 PM.

grimm2

grimm2

Video Archivist

Posted May 21, 2012 @ 2:07 PM

The show was cancelled last week, which is why there are so many recent comments.

I can't say I'm surprised, the show never quite seem to hint whether it was going to be a procedural, a psychological thriller or Science fiction.

Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta

Fanatic

Posted May 21, 2012 @ 6:44 PM

What killed this show: too much cop show stuff and not a single hot guy in the regular cast.

grimm2

grimm2

Video Archivist

Posted May 21, 2012 @ 10:59 PM

Frankly, I didn't see chemistry among the regular task force myself. CSI, Criminal Minds, Blue bloods they all live and die based on the chemistry among their cast members. Eliminate Lucy & Emerson and there was no spark among the task force that I'd see.

Edited by grimm2, May 21, 2012 @ 11:03 PM.

WearyTraveler

WearyTraveler

Couch Potato

Posted May 23, 2012 @ 1:42 AM

JJ Abrams is really coming up empty these days when it comes to television.

Maybe not. If I remember correctly, Bad Robot (JJ's company) is behind Fringe and Person of Interest.

Fringe is a niche show, with low but consistent ratings, and I'd say it has a cult following, which means additional money in merchandise (DVDs, clothing, etc.)and Sci-fans typically spend a lot of money on merchandise. So, I'd guess Fringe's renewal is due, in part, to the fact that the show still makes money, from advertisers that want to target its particular audience (and are happy to have their adds on a show with consistent ratings) and from merchandise.

PoI has taken off quite well and enjoys very healthy ratings. It has also been renewed for next year with a full season order (20 something episodes).

According to Wikipedia, Bad Robot has produced a total of 8 TV shows (Alias, Lost, What About Brian, Six Degrees, Fringe, Undercovers, Person of Interest and Alcatraz). Regardless of viewer satisfaction when Alias and Lost ended, both shows were very successful ratings wise for most of their run. I don't know much about Alias, but Lost's final episode had around 16 million viewers, which is huge, there are shows currently on the air that don't even hit half of that.

So, 4 successes out of 8 shows gives Bad Robot a 50% win rate. I think that's pretty good for a production company.

I'm not surprised Alcatraz was cancelled, as the show did have many problems and ratings kept decreasing every week, but I thought it did have potential. It'd be interesting to see a comparison with PoI, since that show has a similar premise (weekly procedural + overarching mystery) and it has done very well. But I guess it's moot now that Alcatraz was cancelled.

I hope to see Sam Neil and Jorge Garcia on TV again.