Alcatraz: Escaping Time and Space

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

1268 replies to this topic

heat

heat

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 9, 2012 @ 11:32 PM

I just need to know, should I watch most of the season that is saved on my dvr(I've watched maybe the first 4) or should I delete them knowing the show is cancelled? I liked, but did not love the first few eps.

patriotickid

patriotickid

Couch Potato

Posted May 9, 2012 @ 11:36 PM

@BryanWynbrandt
Hey y'all. It's been a helluva journey & sharing it with you made it all the more worth it. And if you must know, yes, it was time travel.

But what was the question? I thought everyone assumed it was time travel

Tableau

Tableau

Fanatic

Posted May 10, 2012 @ 12:57 AM

It was their own damn fault. they had a lot of interesting concepts to play with but they threw it all down the drain to do boring procedural crap instead.

Dcbi

Dcbi

Video Archivist

Posted May 10, 2012 @ 7:18 AM

Bummer. I was hoping they'd at least do a 13 episode season and start it after Fringe got done. It was a pretty boring slog, but it had some potential. If it was between this and Fringe, though, I'm glad they chose the way they did.

Shalamar

Shalamar

Fanatic

Posted May 10, 2012 @ 9:44 AM

DAMN. I really liked this show and hoped it would find its niche. :(

Starchild

Starchild

Couch Potato

Posted May 10, 2012 @ 10:02 AM

From one of the showrunners

@BryanWynbrandt
Hey y'all. It's been a helluva journey & sharing it with you made it all the more worth it. And if you must know, yes, it was time travel.

Good of him to let us know. Oh the potential.

ETA: heat, don't bother, for the reason Tableau stated.

Edited by Starchild, May 10, 2012 @ 10:03 AM.

ganesh

ganesh

Stalker

Posted May 10, 2012 @ 12:58 PM

But what was the question? I thought everyone assumed it was time travel.

We had speculated that maybe they were cryogenically frozen at one point, but given the scientist reappearing in the finale, led me to believe it was time travel. I'm pleased TPTB confirmed it and it seemed like they always planned it to be, but they executed the series poorly.

I just need to know, should I watch most of the season that is saved on my dvr(I've watched maybe the first 4) or should I delete them knowing the show is cancelled? I liked, but did not love the first few eps.

If you've got nothing to do then watch them. I doubt this is a show that you will feel a need to burn through because you can't take your eyes off the screen.

ElectricBoogalo

ElectricBoogalo

Stalker

Posted May 10, 2012 @ 4:38 PM

I'm not surprised or even disappointed by this news. The show had a lot of potential to be really interesting but I found myself slogging through the last few episodes out of duty (and in the misguided hope that they would reveal something huge). I guess it's great that they revealed it was time travel, but uhhh, that's it? The show got canceled and that's ALL they have to tell us? Kinda makes me think maybe it's not a huge loss that the show wasn't renewed.

Heh, maybe now people going on the Alcatraz tours will stop trying to find all the secret rooms.

I agree with ganesh. Maybe wait until the summer when you have some free time since there aren't a ton of shows on the summer schedule and finish watching the rest of the episodes. But if you really need the space on your DVR, I'd say delete those episodes and just watch them online at some point. If you haven't been burning to watch them all this time, you can live without them indefinitely.

Edited by ElectricBoogalo, May 10, 2012 @ 4:41 PM.

irishmaple

irishmaple

Fanatic

Posted May 10, 2012 @ 6:16 PM

Like The Event before it, I think I'll miss nitpicking the show more than the show itself. I really wish they could have done more with the elements they had in play. It had potential and a decent cast, and nothing really came of it. I'm honestly indifferent to the whole time travel aspect. It's the Warden James connection to the whole scheme that I found most interesting. Was he actually back in 2012 or not?

Camera One

Camera One

Fanatic

Posted May 10, 2012 @ 8:49 PM

Meh... I'm a bit peeved I wasted time forcing myself to watch this show in the hopes it would get better.

If you liked the first few episodes, you certainly liked it more than I did, so you might enjoy the rest, if you have nothing else to do or watch, as everyone else suggested.

Princess Aldrea

Princess Aldrea

Stalker

Posted May 11, 2012 @ 8:25 AM

I'm not surprised or even disappointed by this news.

Neither am I. I probably would have been two months ago after the finale but two months is a long time and I stopped caring.

Rickster

Rickster

Fanatic

Posted May 11, 2012 @ 8:37 AM

My only thought is that when the show is founded on a mystery like this one was, for the fans' sake (however many there were left) it would be nice to have say a 2 hour special episode that would wrap up loose ends and explain what was going on.

However, I guess the cost and logistics (getting the crew, cast, locations and writing the script) make it prohibitive.

ganesh

ganesh

Stalker

Posted May 11, 2012 @ 12:00 PM

The other point is that you shouldn't make a show end on a cliffhanger if you don't have a guaranteed renewal. They could have easily written a self contained season with enough breadth for a second season. They wasted far too much time on POTW.

Tambil

Tambil

Channel Surfer

Posted May 11, 2012 @ 3:21 PM

I don't get it, they cancel this show, which I do admit was sometimes a bit slow but at least a unique concept, yet they renew Touch, which is basically just Keifer running around saying "Jake, no!" or "Jake, stop!" or "Jake wait" for a whole hour.

I think the networks need to give shows a chance, the cancel button is hit too soon. Remember 'Dallas' (or at least, us oldies do!)? That bombed the first season, but the network didn't have anything else lined up to replace so renewed for one more season and then... TV Oil strike! Shows need to find a niche, and not all of them do it in the first season.

ElectricBoogalo

ElectricBoogalo

Stalker

Posted May 11, 2012 @ 3:46 PM

I'm not surprised or even disappointed by this news.

Neither am I. I probably would have been two months ago after the finale but two months is a long time and I stopped caring.

At this point, news of this cancellation just made me go, "Ehhhhhh, oh well." If it had been canceled right after the finale, I probably would have said the show totally deserved it and gone on and on about how it sucked and didn't explain anything adequately. If anything, the two month gap between the finale and the cancellation notice managed to make me care even less than if they had announced it closer to the finale.

I wouldn't have minded the POTW format if they had made sure to reveal important information each week to move along the mystery, but there were too many weeks where I felt like the episode was a waste of time because it didn't address much beyond "bad guy got caught."

ganesh

ganesh

Stalker

Posted May 11, 2012 @ 4:38 PM

I agree that a show should be given time to find its legs, but 13 seems reasonable. They weren't bounced around the line up at all either. If you can't catch and maintain an audience with a steady timeslot, then maybe it's time to go. Also, it wasn't like Fringe where the ratings are steady but low. The lowest rated episode was the finale. And they weren't going up against anything special at the time.

I'd like to watch another short season order of the show, and several of us would probably be looking for new scifi once Fringe is done, but they just didn't really do a good job with this show.

ElectricBoogalo

ElectricBoogalo

Stalker

Posted May 11, 2012 @ 4:47 PM

13 is definitely a reasonable amount of time to get off the ground, but they just wasted too much time on POTW. And I agree that since they had a pretty consistent time slot (with the exception of that race delay), there was really no excuse for such low ratings. You know, besides complete lack of interest in the slow moving plot/resolution.

Edited by ElectricBoogalo, May 11, 2012 @ 4:49 PM.

Featherhat

Featherhat

Fanatic

Posted May 11, 2012 @ 4:54 PM

I agree that a show should be given time to find its legs, but 13 seems reasonable. They weren't bounced around the line up at all either. If you can't catch and maintain an audience with a steady timeslot, then maybe it's time to go. Also, it wasn't like Fringe where the ratings are steady but low. The lowest rated episode was the finale. And they weren't going up against anything special at the time.

Yeah I think 13 fairly reasonable number for this show. There have been success stories where a show is on the bubble in S1 and goes on to improve or remain a stable player for years e.g. "Castle" when it was renewed for S2 but it's numbers usually have to be a bit higher than Alcatraz's or at least more stable. This show's ratings started out well and lost viewers every episode, so was not in a good position to argue that it might grow.

Creatively it might have gotten better in a theoretical S2, but the fact that it had no idea how to be a mix up of POTW eps and "myth arc" storylines this season didn't help it's cause either.

BeenHere

BeenHere

Couch Potato

Posted May 11, 2012 @ 5:54 PM

I am probably in the minority here. I liked Alcatraz. I enjoyed the prisoner stories of the week. I liked it for what it was and what it was trying to be. Disappointed

Kolaka

Kolaka

Couch Potato

Posted May 11, 2012 @ 8:14 PM

I'm with you, BeenHere. I liked it also and wish it had been given a second season. Bummer.

memememe76

memememe76

Stalker

Posted May 11, 2012 @ 9:20 PM

The show made me realize that I want Parminder Nagra on my tv screen every week--I think having her basically absent during much of the present-day scenes was a blunder. I hope she gets work soon.

Tippi Blevins

Tippi Blevins

Couch Potato

Posted May 11, 2012 @ 10:10 PM

Now I'll never know if Rebecca ever found a barette to keep her damned hair out of her eyes.

giovannif7

giovannif7

Fanatic

Posted May 11, 2012 @ 11:47 PM

The show made me realize that I want Parminder Nagra on my tv screen every week--I think having her basically absent during much of the present-day scenes was a blunder. I hope she gets work soon.

She's already got a new gig - so if you watch the next season of Psych, you might get your weekly dose.

Edited by giovannif7, May 12, 2012 @ 12:47 PM.

greyhorse

greyhorse

Fanatic

Posted May 12, 2012 @ 12:59 AM

Good riddance, never have I felt so strongly that the show and producers got what they deserved. This is what you get for making a show with such a complicated plot and too many unanswered questions.

The Twitter comment by the show runner posted above... "Yes, it was time travel." Was there ever any doubt? I didn't think so. Was there ever any suggestion during the show that the prisoners were cryogenically frozen? I figured that they went into that secret door with the three locks and the machine was there, that's why we saw the mad scientist at the very end.

As mentioned many times before, what makes the whole thing ridiculous is that Lucy herself got to present day via the same method. So why can't she remember? Why didn't we see all the others ask her at least one time how she got there? Seems like the prisoners couldn't remember, so maybe the answer would have been that she just doesn't know. This was one of the biggest plot holes that frustrated week after week.

Guess it really doesn't matter now. Not sure why I'm still thinking of this wreck of a show. Guess I read the cancellation announcement today and had some lingering thoughts...

djsunyc

djsunyc

Couch Potato

Posted May 12, 2012 @ 12:31 PM

JJ Abrams is not having a good run on TV. He's still living off Lost but those days may be soon done. Well at least he has a decent movie career going lol...

Cress

Cress

Stalker

Posted May 12, 2012 @ 12:40 PM

giovannif7, your link doesn't work (Too many http's) This should do it:

http://www.digitalsp...oins-psych.html

Yeah the showrunner doesn't seem to understand the main questions of the show. I know it's time travel. I want to know HOW they all time travelled using 1960s technology. Did the scientist guy invent it? Is it alien tech? And I want to know WHY the time travel happened. Was it the Warden's plan all along, or an accident? What did the Warden intend his silver prisoners to do when they reached their destinations?

Plus besides the mythology part, I wanted Lucy's star-crossed romance to work out. But the show's over. I'll forget about it I guess.

Edited by Cress, May 12, 2012 @ 12:41 PM.

johntfs

johntfs

Fanatic

Posted May 13, 2012 @ 6:16 AM

Will we be seeing more, though? Has anyone heard anything about whether or not this show was renewed for next season?

And the answer is no, we will not be seeing more. Which teaches me not to reply to a post from late March, which was the first post I saw when this forum came up.

Edited by johntfs, May 13, 2012 @ 6:20 AM.

Rickster

Rickster

Fanatic

Posted May 13, 2012 @ 6:20 AM

The show was cancelled last week, which is why there are so many recent comments.

Princess Aldrea

Princess Aldrea

Stalker

Posted May 13, 2012 @ 10:16 AM

Yeah the showrunner doesn't seem to understand the main questions of the show.

Maybe that's why they failed to answer any of them.

blackwing

blackwing

Stalker

Posted May 14, 2012 @ 9:32 AM

"Yes it was time travel." Well we all assumed that. I think. I guess they never got around to explaining the how or the why. As in, what exactly was the point of unleashing all these psychopathic criminals into the future. The other hole is that someone (I think Jack Sylvane) said that when he went to sleep it was 1963. When he woke up it was 2012. So some of them were asleep when they went through? Or their memory got wiped a little? Jack woke up in the hole, which was presumably where he was held when he time travelled.

I suppose it doesn't make any sense to keep asking questions, but it's just indicative of the problems with this show. The whole thing was poorly executed and poorly explained and now I don't have to spend each week getting frustrated.