Alcatraz: Escaping Time and Space

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

1268 replies to this topic

Princess Aldrea

Princess Aldrea

Stalker

Posted Feb 25, 2012 @ 2:53 PM

So since Hauser was the one to send Lucy out with Madsen and Soto where she got shot, does he blame himself for what happened? Well, when he's not blaming Madsen for somehow failing to stop it. No wonder he took Cobb's hand.

Edited by Princess Aldrea, Feb 25, 2012 @ 2:53 PM.

ganesh

ganesh

Stalker

Posted Feb 25, 2012 @ 7:36 PM

One possible reason for BART not allowing the use in this episode might be that they didn't want a depiction of a poison gas attack on a train.

Yeah, I get that, but on The Mentalist there was a murder at a BART station, so I'm not seeing the one being worse than the other.

So since Hauser was the one to send Lucy out with Madsen and Soto where she got shot, does he blame himself for what happened?

This is a really good point and one of the biggest problems I have with the show, and this happens a lot on other shows. In their effort to not make the show overly serialized, I think TPTB are forgetting that you really need to get some of these smaller character moments in there. And not just Soto and Madsen exchanging exposition at breakfast. Although I think they are playing off one another much better now.

Little things like Soto crushing on the coroner are what keeps me watching. I think they're missing a really good opportunity, since Hauser and Beauregard seem to have known each other for a long time, that maybe he is less guarded around him.

I like what the actor is doing with Jack. He's been increasingly frustrated and he's really showing something with what little he's given. I don't know if SN is being directed this way, but I'm not getting much from him "in between"

stealinghome

stealinghome

Stalker

Posted Feb 25, 2012 @ 8:05 PM

One possible reason for BART not allowing the use in this episode might be that they didn't want a depiction of a poison gas attack on a train.

Yeah, I get that, but on The Mentalist there was a murder at a BART station, so I'm not seeing the one being worse than the other.

Maybe The Mentalist just had the money in the budget to pay and Alcatraz didn't.

So since Hauser was the one to send Lucy out with Madsen and Soto where she got shot, does he blame himself for what happened?

In a word: yes.

shapeshifter

shapeshifter

Fanatic

Posted Feb 26, 2012 @ 5:20 AM

Maybe The Mentalist just had the money in the budget to pay and Alcatraz didn't

Or maybe the Alcatraz legal department is being über cautious when it's not necessary. But it does make sense that the top rated CBS would not have to worry about paying for law suits as much as other networks. I haven't been on the BART in over 6 years, so I don't recall, but would it have been less jarring to Bay Area viewers if they'd called it "the train" like locals do the subway in NY? Because they always call the NY subway "the subway" on shows for the sake of the general viewing audience. Or maybe "underground train" would've been better.

TheRabbi

TheRabbi

Fanatic

• Interests:Currently watching:<br /><br />The Amazing Race - not quite what it once was, but still an addict<br />Chuck - ditto<br />Dexter- great stuff<br />30 Rock - season 5 is the funniest its ever been! Probably my favorite show currently airing<br />The Office - nowhere near where it once was, but still alright<br />Modern Family - good stuff!<br /><br />New shows this year I'm still watching (have dumped a few):<br /><br />Walking Dead - great stuff!<br />No Ordinary Family - mediocre<br />The Event - Reading the recaps and board comments is immensely more entertaining than the show, so I watch!<br />Raising Hope - awesome!<br />Running Wilde - good! (will they ever burn off the remaining eps?)<br />The Cape - started out awesome, starting to fizzle<br /><br />RIP:<br /><br />Pushing Daisies - possibly the greatest show of all time<br />Lost - lackluster resolution to most mysteries, but still a monumental show<br />24 - downward spiral the last couple years, but once again, still a monumental show

Posted Feb 27, 2012 @ 12:51 PM

Looks like it may be pre-empted tonight with the rescheduling of the Daytona 500.

grimm2

grimm2

Video Archivist

Posted Feb 27, 2012 @ 4:02 PM

Looks like it may be pre-empted tonight with the rescheduling of the Daytona 500.

I'm confident the show is procedural enough to handle it, the main pieces of the mythology haven't been completely displayed yet.

johntfs

johntfs

Fanatic

Posted Feb 27, 2012 @ 9:50 PM

And the show got pre-empted so we can watch people drive in a circle for three hours.

shapeshifter

shapeshifter

Fanatic

Posted Feb 27, 2012 @ 11:29 PM

And the show got pre-empted so we can watch people drive in a circle for three hours.

Resisting the urge to point out that we missed the opportunity to watch people drive in circles for one hour....
Anywho...
Tonight's episode reairs on Saturday, March 10, 10PM CST.
Next week 2 other episodes air 7-9PM CST.

redpencil

redpencil

Fanatic

Posted Feb 27, 2012 @ 11:34 PM

Wait, so they're just going to skip showing the episode that was supposed to air until after the two following episodes? Wouldn't it make more sense to just move the 2nd of next week's two episodes to 3/10 instead?

Princess Aldrea

Princess Aldrea

Stalker

Posted Feb 27, 2012 @ 11:36 PM

I don't see why they can't just show the episode we missed on the third instead of rerunning the McKee episode.

Caroma

Caroma

Fanatic

Posted Feb 27, 2012 @ 11:37 PM

Naw, we had some good crashes (good because there were cool flames but nobody got hurt) and it's 11:30 in NYC and it's STILL going on.

In the meantime here's some prep work as we wait for the first African-American 63er story: a FAQ about the Rock that shows what life was like for black inmates throughout most of its history. Basically, Jim Crow reached into the prison walls just like the outside (even in California), although by 1963 it was lessening.

Edited by Caroma, Feb 27, 2012 @ 11:38 PM.

Dowel Jones

Dowel Jones

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 28, 2012 @ 12:05 AM

Back to the Godfather on AMC....

Cress

Cress

Stalker

Posted Feb 28, 2012 @ 1:09 AM

I hope they reschedule this episode.

HelloooKitty

HelloooKitty

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 28, 2012 @ 1:35 AM

Do you think On Demand might have it as scheduled?

Rickster

Rickster

Fanatic

Posted Feb 28, 2012 @ 9:36 AM

Wait, so they're just going to skip showing the episode that was supposed to air until after the two following episodes? Wouldn't it make more sense to just move the 2nd of next week's two episodes to 3/10 instead?

I agree. The only thing I can think of is that next week's episodes might be interrelated and more like a double length episode?

I don't see why they can't just show the episode we missed on the third instead of rerunning the McKee episode

Because viewers expect to see it on Monday, and Saturday night is the worst night of the week to put on a new episode of anything. It would get poor ratings and they'd forfeit the opportunity to get the ratings a new episode will get on a Monday. And viewers who didn't realize it was on Saturday would be upset (I didn't realize they were airing episodes on Saturday night).

Although all this is less relevant in an era of DVRs.

Edited by Rickster, Feb 28, 2012 @ 9:36 AM.

Princess Aldrea

Princess Aldrea

Stalker

Posted Feb 28, 2012 @ 9:56 AM

Well it said that the new episode would air on Saturday the tenth unless that just hasn't been changed yet with the racing.

grimm2

grimm2

Video Archivist

Posted Feb 28, 2012 @ 10:13 AM

Resisting the urge to point out that we missed the opportunity to watch people drive in circles for one hour....
Anywho...
Tonight's episode reairs on Saturday, March 10, 10PM CST.
Next week 2 other episodes air 7-9PM CST.

Well, it was bound to happen, the good news is there're more episodes on March 10 to catch up before the new installment.

Edited by grimm2, Feb 28, 2012 @ 10:15 AM.

Nightbreak

Nightbreak

Video Archivist

Posted Feb 28, 2012 @ 10:25 AM

I'm unhappy with the 'revelations' thus far. Dollhouse did the weird much better. I want something interesting to talk about with people over pie, for heaven's sake. Not just 'How many people did the prisoner of the week kill before the plot devices caught up with him?'

This is a strange occurance! Where is the sci-fi? Where's the Future Shock? The Time-Traveler's Dilemma? The gadgets? 300 people have done a version of the locked-room mystery and if there's no elegance to it, then why did they make this in the first place?

Edited by Nightbreak, Feb 28, 2012 @ 10:27 AM.

Rickster

Rickster

Fanatic

Posted Feb 28, 2012 @ 11:31 AM

I would take the fact that Fox is choosing to air a new episode on a Saturday night as a bad sign for the future of the show, but I don't know their scheduling constraints.

TV By The Numbers is showing it as a likely cancellation.

Bubble Watch

Tableau

Tableau

Fanatic

Posted Feb 28, 2012 @ 12:53 PM

I wouldn't take the Saturday airing too seriously. In my experience, when shows are unexpectedly prempted the network usually schedule them the next Saturday.

Edited by Tableau, Feb 28, 2012 @ 12:55 PM.

WearyTraveler

WearyTraveler

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 28, 2012 @ 1:01 PM

I saw the episode, is it ok to discuss or do we wait until Saturday?

Tableau

Tableau

Fanatic

Posted Feb 28, 2012 @ 3:29 PM

If it aired in the United States that it's fine to discuss without spoiler tags. If it aired anywhere else in the world you need to use spoiler tags.

WearyTraveler

WearyTraveler

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 28, 2012 @ 4:18 PM

I'm not sure where it aired, so, I'll wait.

Vinny Vidi Vici

Vinny Vidi Vici

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 28, 2012 @ 6:07 PM

Oh my God what an awesome episode that was! I guess the returning prisoner was some guy named Juan Pablo Montoya who used to be a race car driver. So, he gets back to the future and the first thing he does is crash his car into a jet-fueled blower truck and cause a HUGE explosion and fire at the racetrack.

I guess there must have been some bad feud or wrongdoing between the driver and the Daytona people and/or the jet dryer people. No one was killed though, which was a nice change, except that also meant that Sam Neill didn't get to shoot Juan Pablo Montoya in the foot or something at the end. Oh well.

Missed the warden and the blond lady and the comic book Dr., and Sam Neill too for that matter, but it was a splendid episode nevertheless.

Edited by Vinny Vidi Vici, Feb 28, 2012 @ 6:09 PM.

Princess Aldrea

Princess Aldrea

Stalker

Posted Feb 28, 2012 @ 11:45 PM

I saw the episode today on Amazon.

I have a couple of questions:

If Clarence knew that he couldn't stop himself from automatically killing those women, why did he keep going to golf courses and taking a walk with a beautiful woman?

Why did the real killer kill what's-her-name in the fifties?

How did the Warden know Clarence was innocent?

Did Clarence kill anyone else while in prison?

Why did everyone talk about how Clarence was innocent until he came back when he clearly murdered at least one man in prison? Wouldn't that have made his file or something?

Why was it so easy for Clarence's friend to get a prescription for the drugs Clarence needed? And why was he so convinced Clarence was innocent?

I liked the episode though, like most episodes, it would have been better with Jack.

And I think that Clarence's friend did the right thing and it's sad that he probably has to die for it. He really took Clarence's miraculous return really well. It was a terrible situation where it wasn't his fault that he was a killer now but since he was he couldn't have been allowed out in public and so this really was the best possible outcome.

So even Beauregard doesn't know what's being done to the blood? It's really looking like the Warden is the big bad. And Tiller thinks he's trying to help them (and speaking of, it was kind of fun to watch him just wander around randomly tormenting the prisoners. He wasn't as bad as he was with Jack, though). And the thought of people radiating blood and putting it back...sick.

Edited by Princess Aldrea, Feb 28, 2012 @ 11:47 PM.

ganesh

ganesh

Stalker

Posted Feb 28, 2012 @ 11:54 PM

I will keep my comments general for now.

This is what makes the show frustrating. This was a solid episode and I would go so far as to say good. It doled out a few decent pieces of the mythology, and had a very good guest star (I liked him on The 4400 too). *And* a nice character moment with Soto. It was "classic" in the sense that they used the past and had some social commentary in a fairly interesting way. And, surprise! The Warden stole the scenes again.

Why couldn't they have made the prior episodes this engaging? It's one thing if the show was boring for the entire first season. But it's frustrating when you have half the episodes being boring, the rest kind of promising (let's not count the pilot), and then the show can actually deliver. That's what is so frustrating. So when they cancel the show, it's really their own fault.

TPTB really made a poor choice in holding back on the pacing of the mythology. I'm really hoping the rest of the season is more like this.

Princess Aldrea

Princess Aldrea

Stalker

Posted Feb 29, 2012 @ 12:07 AM

TPTB really made a poor choice in holding back on the pacing of the mythology. I'm really hoping the rest of the season is more like this.

They reveal an important piece every episode, though. How are they holding it back?

ganesh

ganesh

Stalker

Posted Feb 29, 2012 @ 12:28 AM

It's the degree of what they reveal. There barely doling it out. It's crumbs. Here, I thought it was more "meatier." The scenes with Lucy and the POTW were more substantive, imo. The last scene as well. There was confirmation of several ideas that have been bouncing around. They could really have gotten to this point in the mythology sooner, so I hope they move at this pace.

BeenHere

BeenHere

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 29, 2012 @ 11:47 AM

In The 4400 there was an episode where many people were killed by a virus. At first it all looked random but then it was later discovered that it was all planned. They were meant to die. After watching the latest episode, I think the prisoners were implanted with information about their victims. Someone wants these people dead.

If Clarence knew that he couldn't stop himself from automatically killing those women, why did he keep going to golf courses and taking a walk with a beautiful woman?

When we saw him with the first woman, I think he had recently returned. Clarence didn't mean to kill her. He looked like he had a blackout. He was surprised when he saw she was dead. It was after the second one died, that he admitted to himself he had committed the crimes.

Why did the real killer kill what's-her-name in the fifties?

How did the Warden know Clarence was innocent?

Is it possible Clarence was set up?

Why was it so easy for Clarence's friend to get a prescription for the drugs Clarence needed? And why was he so convinced Clarence was innocent?

They possibly knew each other before they were sent to prison.

And I think that Clarence's friend did the right thing and it's sad that he probably has to die for it. He really took Clarence's miraculous return really well. It was a terrible situation where it wasn't his fault that he was a killer now but since he was he couldn't have been allowed out in public and so this really was the best possible outcome.

The other option was for him to return to jail. I wonder though how they are going to try Emmet. If he gets himself a good lawyer, he can walk free. How can they try him for killing someone that supposedly died 50 years ago? All he needs to do is tell his lawyer about his friend who returned without having aged and was turned into a killer. Emmet needs to find a reporter and together they can start snooping. Eventually they will connect the dots as the crime spree increases.

I liked his character and I hope we get to see him again.

And Tiller thinks he's trying to help them (and speaking of, it was kind of fun to watch him just wander around randomly tormenting the prisoners. He wasn't as bad as he was with Jack, though).

I was surprised at how nice Tiller was this episode. I wonder if he knew about the blood business?

So even Beauregard doesn't know what's being done to the blood?

I wish there was a scene of the Doc seeing the dead women and Clarence's body being brought to newAlcatraz. He turned an innocent man into a killer. I hope Tommy Madsen finds Doc and kills him.

Edited by BeenHere, Feb 29, 2012 @ 11:52 AM.

blackwing

blackwing

Stalker

Posted Feb 29, 2012 @ 12:33 PM

Thanks for the info regarding the pre-emption of last Monday's show. I went to look for it in my DVR list and it wasn't there and I unfairly accused either my wife or my boy of deleting it.

It's odd to me that they wouldn't just air it the following Monday. Or at least this Saturday. Why save it for Saturday March 10? It seems each episode we get a tiny little bit of reveal - for instance, Jack waking up just a few days ago, the other guy saying one day it was 1960, he went to sleep and it's 50 years late, the hole below the strip cells, etc.

So is there going to be any small nugget of info in the Clarence Montgomery episode that would have helped for the episode airing on Monday?

I finally caught up on this show, and I'm really liking it. I like the concept, and the underlying mystery is interesting. Really hoping it doesn't get cancelled. Is it truly between this and Terra Nova? Because I like both.