Bridesmaids

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

196 replies to this topic

TWoP Dietrich

TWoP Dietrich

Fanatic

Posted May 13, 2011 @ 12:59 PM

People say it's really good!

bubsy

bubsy

Video Archivist

Posted May 13, 2011 @ 5:57 PM

I loved it. My husband and I were able to see a sneak preview on Tuesday. They did a demographic poll before hand, and I know there has been much about who will go see a movie about women, omg. The audience had a good variety of ages and sexes. Everyone seemed into it. We both laughed a lot.

My favorite part was Annie on the plane. "help me I'm poor." I also loved that they didn't actually end up in Vegas like every other wedding-related movie. I loved Megan with the van full of puppies.

I don't like Kristen Wiig that much on SNL, but I thought she was great here. I thought Maya Rudolph pretty much played a stock character - you know the really good friend/relative who some how doesn't notice all the bullshit and crazy unreasonable nonsense they are putting their friend through? But I did like the end.

mobia

mobia

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 13, 2011 @ 11:03 PM

Bridesmaids was decent, but overhyped. I found I didn't really laugh out loud much, more just smiled at parts, but didn't think it was as hilarious as it's been made out to be. The part with the poop/vomit was funny, but more relied on sound effects and the suggestion of it to be gross, whereas I thought it was just going to be vomit and poop everywhere, so it was a little underwhelming. But besides that, I didn't like Kristin Wiig. Not only her character was irritating, but her acting and voice made me think of her SNL characters, like Judy the fast talker or Penelope the one-upper, and it made her seem really limited as an actress. I just couldn't feel any sympathy for her, or care about her.

Maya Rudolph I wanted to see more of, but since the film is focused on her bridesmaids, it's understandable that she isn't in the picture much. Still, whenever she was on screen, I liked hearing her voice and think she's a very natural actress who doesn't have to do a lot to be funny, she just is.

Rose Byrne did a great job at making the audience wanting to smack Helen, especially whenever she treated Kristin Wiig's character like dirt or stole one of her ideas.

Melissa McCarthy was good, though part of me was cringing at feeling like the "gross" elements of her character were heightened since she is overweight, and stands out more amongst the thinner actresses. Still, I was glad when it wasn't her but Maya Rudolph that acted out one of the most embarrassing parts in the poop/vomit scene.

I liked the cop subplot, even if it got pretty predictable. The actor who played him was charming and solid.

I only know of Wendy McLendon-Covey from Reno 911, but she's awesome, and was really funny in her role, however limited it was to her complaining about her husband and three sons. She still did a lot with what she had.

So it wasn't a bad movie, but I didn't think it was as great or as "groundbreaking" as it's being made out to be in the press. It's a pretty simple story of an underdog feeling undermined by someone better, making an ass of herself a few times, coming to terms with it, then everything being wrapped up neatly at the end.

oreo8704

oreo8704

Fanatic

Posted May 14, 2011 @ 12:03 AM

I think the ads could hurt this movie. I've heard its different and better than the ads make it out to be.

susan vance

susan vance

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 14, 2011 @ 12:17 AM

I wanted to love this movie so much and I ended up really disliking it! I love Kristen Wiig in general, and her acting at points in this was terrific, but there was a real problem with her character - she was unlikable and tough to root for a lot of the movie (and I felt like we were supposed to root for her!), and her characterization was all over the place. There were several scenes where she behaved in ways that made no sense to me; her behavior was over-the-top in a way that would fit and SNL sketch but didn't really work in a movie, or at least not in this movie. I'm thinking of things like her scenes in jewelry store, for example.

I also love Melissa McCarthy but I had a hard time with her character, too. I found myself disliking the way her character's physical appearance seemed to be a big source of the laughs. It felt like the main source of her humor was that she was so overweight and overtly sexual; it definitely carried a gross-out tone, like we were supposed to find that hilariously repulsive. It felt mean-spirited to me.

Also, when the movie tried to go heartwarming/sweet, it occasionally worked (I enjoyed Maya Rudolph and Kristen Wiig together), but some later developments don't really make a lot of sense - why is Melissa McCarthy's character suddenly Kristen Wiig's friend? - and the juxtaposition of the crazy big comedy stuff (like the antics on the plane, or the food poisoning) against the endless series of crappy things happening in Kristen's Wiig's life - most of which are played dramatically - didn't work for me. The comedy was too big and the drama too bleak. It just didn't gel for me. I felt like either the comedy should have been toned down or the dramatic elements lightened up.

I love so many people involved - everyone in the cast had at least a couple of great moments and have shined in the past, and Paul Feig is usually great, but for me, it was definitely one of those cases where the whole was much less than the sum of its parts.

clevernamehere

clevernamehere

Couch Potato

Posted May 14, 2011 @ 8:08 AM

The part with the poop/vomit was funny, but more relied on sound effects and the suggestion of it to be gross, whereas I thought it was just going to be vomit and poop everywhere, so it was a little underwhelming.

How much further did you expect it to go? I’m not sure how much further it could have gone without losing me.

It felt like the main source of [Melissa McCarthy’s] humor was that she was so overweight and overtly sexual; it definitely carried a gross-out tone, like we were supposed to find that hilariously repulsive. It felt mean-spirited to me.

I see what you’re saying, in some ways it is cheap to make jokes about a heavier woman chasing down unwilling men.

But isn’t part of the reason for that reaction the idea that women must be sexy to everyone in order to be worthwhile people? Seth Rogen, Zack Galifianakis, Will Ferrell, etc have all played on the idea that they don’t have perfect gym toned bodies and no one ever thinks it is mean-spirited towards other men. Melissa McCarthy seemed in control of the character.

why is Melissa McCarthy's character suddenly Kristen Wiig's friend?

I thought that was a little strange too, but then again that was kind of the point- that Kristen Wiig’s character was so focused on how bad her life was that she didn’t see the genuine opportunities she had with Melissa McCarthy’s character or the cop.

I liked it a lot. Obviously not an Oscar contender, but really funny and different than most of what is out there. I think it is closer to a grosser Romy and Michelle or I Love You Man than the Hangover.

What is really annoying me is the whole “C’mon guys, your balls won’t fall off if you see it!” Guys do willingly watch movies about women despite all the posturing, the problem is more that they don’t see them in theaters opening weekend. I wish the marketing could be a bit more like Amy Poehler to Jimmy Fallon in Bossypants:
-Jimmy “Stop that! It’s not cute! I don’t like it!”
-Amy “I don’t fucking care if you like it.”
(not that they have some kind of beef, but women shouldn’t have to apologize for being something other than a fantasy girlfriend)

mobia

mobia

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 14, 2011 @ 8:51 AM

How much further did you expect it to go? I’m not sure how much further it could have gone without losing me.

I think it was more of the hype of "This part is totally hilarious and disgusting!" that made me think it was going to be something huge. Not that I want to see poop and vomit everywhere, not at all. It was fine as it was, I just didn't laugh hard at it like I thought I would.

There were some random cameos in it, like Terry Crews as a fitness instructor or Richard Riehle as a mechanic. I also didn't recognize Tim from Tim and Eric Are Awesome as the fiance Dougie.

I agree that the comedy and drama didn't really mesh well together. The comedy would be over-the-top and ridiculous (the wedding shower party, the plane trip), then the drama would be played straight and be depressing and sad, and didn't really feel cohesive.

AuntieLizard

AuntieLizard

Fanatic

Posted May 14, 2011 @ 2:53 PM

I thought it was great and never laughed so hard during a movie in my entire life. My sister and I were dying. But I think it helped that I never saw Kristen Wiig on SNL and didn't see a lot of promos or reviews on the movie. Everything was completely unexpected and not in a bad way.

Annie is rootable because she is that destroyed person who faces a huge uphill battle. She's perhaps not likeable (though, I loved her) but she was in the dumps and I certainly didn't want to see her sink any lower. She's the main character and the point was for her to get a grasp on herself and her life and turn things around. My sister and I talked about it and realized we liked the movie for not sugar-coating Annie with "You're so toughstrongsweetbestestfriendever." The other characters had legitimate beef with her and she had to work to earn their forgiveness. I think the movie did a good job of portraying both sides of Annie (the immature woman running away from problems vs. the fun-loving person who does care about people).

Not saying it was the greatest movie of all time or anything, but it was really funny and well worth watching on big screen. The entire theatre laughed super loudly and cheered when Wilson Phillips closed the movie with "Hold On." I would say it was about as good a comedy as Hangover, which was totally hyped for me by the time I got around to seeing it. But I laughed a lot more in Bridesmaids.

Writer13

Writer13

Fanatic

Posted May 14, 2011 @ 4:28 PM

I enjoyed it for the most part! I could have done without the sex and vomit/poop humor (although I think I read that Apatow-of course-added those scenes in). I have gotten tired of Kristen Wiig on SNL, but I thought Annie on the airplane and driving to get cop's attention was hilarious. I also loved Megan's attack/chat about life.

Sarah1281

Sarah1281

Fanatic

Posted May 14, 2011 @ 7:24 PM

I didn't really like the first part (particularly the food poisoning bit that was just so stupid) but once they got to the plane I was hooked. I especially liked how Megan was right after all about the air marshall.

AFDiva

AFDiva

Couch Potato

• Interests:TV~

Posted May 14, 2011 @ 10:20 PM

Saw it and loved it. The whole theater was laughing. It was a great departure from the typical bridal stuff.

Megan is actually the one I kept thinking of as we left the theater. Her parts were great and added a lot to the humor. Puppies in the van was hilarious.

zelmia

zelmia

Fanatic

Posted May 14, 2011 @ 10:38 PM

Maya Rudolph I wanted to see more of, but since the film is focused on her bridesmaids, it's understandable that she isn't in the picture much. Still, whenever she was on screen, I liked hearing her voice and think she's a very natural actress who doesn't have to do a lot to be funny, she just is.

She is like Catherine Keener in the way that she just makes every relationship she has with her scene partner seem very real and natural. I always buy Maya Rudolph the same way I always buy Keener. Rudolph is very underrated as and actor in my view. She is indeed intensely natural and believable.
I actually loved the café scene early in the film. Very relatable, at least in my experience. I thought it was very well-written, if a tiny bit overlong. You got a very good sense of their relationship, their history and their deep love for each other.

I liked the cop subplot, even if it got pretty predictable. The actor who played him was charming and solid.

The delightful Chris O'Dowd. IT Crowd fans like myself kinda squeed just a little when he made his first appearance.

The part with the poop/vomit was funny, but more relied on sound effects and the suggestion of it to be gross, whereas I thought it was just going to be vomit and poop everywhere, so it was a little underwhelming.

Yeah, definitely on the "almost lost me" end of the spectrum. Bodily functions humour is tricky at best, and I think they ambled dangerously close to the edge for that scene. Still, I couldn't help laughing at "It's coming out of me like lava!"

I actually thought it was well-paced. We learn early on that Annie has recently lost her business and her boyfriend. We learn from her behaviour with douchey Jon Hamm that she's very lonely and feeling a bit lost - which hits her all the harder when she finds out her best friend is getting married. Kinda pushes her over the edge a bit.
Wiig's character was a bit broad at times, but definitely relatable, I think. I agree that she did a good job of making it clear (both as a writer and a performer) that Annie wasn't just a victim, that she was actually deserving of the anger she got.

My girlfriend commented that she didn't care for the plane scene because "I wish it had been funnier". She wanted Annie to be funnier in the bit where she is sent back to coach from first class. But as I told my girlfriend, what I liked about it is precisely that it wasn't as funny as it could have been. Annie acted like a real person would have in that situation - a situation she can't possibly win. She was snarky and rude and got in a couple good zingers, but ultimately she had no choice but to comply. Until she did get completely out of control.

And I think that's what I liked about the whole thing - which is definitely where Paul Feig shines as a director. These characters were all very real, very relatable. I bought all of them, even Melissa McCarthy's Megan and Matt Lucas's "sister". And by the way can I just say SUPERB casting there.

I think my favourite bit was Annie and Lillian "performing" to the Wilson Phillips song at the end. Again, that was something people would really do and I thought it was hilarious. Boy that Chyna Phillips has not aged at all well.

ribboninthesky1

ribboninthesky1

Fanatic

Posted May 14, 2011 @ 10:54 PM

Melissa McCarthy was the best thing about this movie. As mentioned upthread, she was in control of the character, and I never really felt like her size was the primary source of the comedy. She was a somewhat butch, overtly sexual woman who happened to be plus-sized. I thought it was awesome that she ended up with the air marshal.

That said, I had no idea why Megan was interested in being friends with Annie.

The other characters had legitimate beef with her and she had to work to earn their forgiveness.

I'm not sure how she worked to earn their forgiveness. She showed her ass at the bridal shower (though she was justifiably angry), and was thrown out, not to mention the other things that transpired before. And next thing we know, she's "found" Lillian at her apartment, and they've made up. And most of the shit she goes through is a direct result of her action/inaction, so it was hard to feel sorry for her. I felt sorrier for Helen, who seemed pitifully desperate for friendship. And Lillian, who I sometimes felt tolerated rather than liked Helen because she was the wife of Doug's boss. That Annie was completely clueless to that nuance spoke volumes.

As for the cop - on the one hand, he was too good for Annie and "way to go, movie!" for demonstrating how a woman can be kind of shitty and still get the nice, adorkable guy. On the other hand, it's nice that a woman doesn't have to be perfectly well-rounded and emotionally healthy to get the guy. I'm ambivalent.

In any case, I'm very grateful this movie wasn't "The Hangover.....for women." It was better than I thought because of that, but otherwise, forgettable. Judd Apatow and anything associated with him usually makes my teeth itch, and the fact he didn't write the screenplay is probably what made it palatable.

Cream Cheese

Cream Cheese

Fanatic

Posted May 14, 2011 @ 11:08 PM

Caught it this afternoon and LOVED it. The theater was packed and loud. Plenty of continuous laughter.

I loved all the characters but I really was crazy about Kristen Wiig's Annie. I related to her. I didn't find her unlikeable, moreso depressed. She lost her business, her boyfriend, her "fuck buddy" is a tool and now her best friend is getting married (another "loss"). It's a perfect storm. Kristen and Mya's interaction at the restaurant in the beginning and dance at the end totally reminds me of one of my best friends I have known since I was 3. No matter how old you get, there are those people who can still bring out the silly idiot in us. The dance moves only we know.

Melissa McCarthy was the best thing about this movie. As mentioned upthread, she was in control of the character, and I never really felt like her size was the primary source of the comedy. She was a somewhat butch, overtly sexual woman who happened to be plus-sized. I thought it was awesome that she ended up with the air marshal.

This might have been mentioned already but that Air Marshall is Melissa's real-life husband.

That said, I had no idea why Megan was interested in being friends with Annie.

I got it (atleast how I interpeted it) because Megan seemed so much like the type of person you meet once and that one time is all it takes. Once you're in, you're in for good. Like, for Megan, being part of this wedding is like going into battle. The whole "we are all in this together" mentality.

The poop/vomit scene was just gross enough to get the reaction the writer's wanted. Didn't gross me out but that type of humor doesn't bother me. Maya sitting in the road, letting Mother Nature take over, was ridiculously funny.

zelmia

zelmia

Fanatic

Posted May 14, 2011 @ 11:20 PM

I'm not sure how she worked to earn their forgiveness. She showed her ass at the bridal shower (though she was justifiably angry), and was thrown out, not to mention the other things that transpired before. And next thing we know, she's "found" Lillian at her apartment, and they've made up.

Well for one thing, she tried to make it up with Chris O'Dowd by making him a meaningful cake - something he had wanted her to do before. She also hugged her mother and told her she loved her for no reason, wheras she had been very unappreciative of her mother before that and saw her mother as more of an embarrassment than there to support and help her. She also introduced her mother to a seemingly nice guy.

I actually bought all of it. People get super pissed off at each other (especially when you're as close as those two were - they know exactly how to hurt each other), but after a bit of time has passed - and something actually important happens (or relatively so) - you immediately go back to loving each other and just wanting everything to be okay. I thought their apology was very realistic and also well-enough earned.

I agree that Helen was pretty desperate for friendship, but didn't really know how to ask for it. Her breakdown was well-played: just pathetic enough to make her less unlikable, but also funny. "I don't want to feel sorry for you" was also a perfect thing for Annie to say in that moment.

I also agree with what others have said about Melissa McCarthy's portrayal of Megan. The actor is rather a big woman, yes. But I saw the joke as more about the character being so "butch" and simultaneously sexually aggressive (and apparently promiscuous) rather than anything to do with her size.

jmcd44

jmcd44

Channel Surfer

Posted May 15, 2011 @ 11:06 AM

Loved it-my girlfriend (getting married) and I (her maid of honor) went after dress shopping and laughed hysterically-although she is now worried she is stressing me out. I loved when Annie told Jon Hamm her other boyfriend was "George Glass". You could tell the Brady Bunch fans in the audience. There were also a lot of men in the audience and I think they all enjoyed it too.

zelmia

zelmia

Fanatic

Posted May 15, 2011 @ 12:05 PM

I loved when Annie told Jon Hamm her other boyfriend was "George Glass".

I actually laughed as soon as she said his name was George. Love silly little allusions like that.

ribboninthesky1

ribboninthesky1

Fanatic

Posted May 15, 2011 @ 12:40 PM

Well for one thing, she tried to make it up with Chris O'Dowd by making him a meaningful cake - something he had wanted her to do before. She also hugged her mother and told her she loved her for no reason, wheras she had been very unappreciative of her mother before that and saw her mother as more of an embarrassment than there to support and help her. She also introduced her mother to a seemingly nice guy.

I was thinking of the bridesmaids, and Lillian in particular, more so than Rhodes and her mom. With Lillian, I didn't see anything she did to purposely hurt Annie. I didn't think there was a rift with Annie's mom to warrant forgiveness, although I agree she learned to appreciate her. To me, her relationship with her mom was an example of her growth, which is a separate issue than earning forgiveness.

That said, I loved that Rhodes didn't forgive her right away. I'm often perplexed when, after a woman isn't particularly kind to her sweetie, somehow the man still tries to make peace or seems apologetic, like he was in the wrong. That didn't happen here, and after sleeping on it, I think I'm glad they got together, as I believe Rhodes would have moved on had Annie not actively worked to redeem herself. It was more more satisfying than Rhodes eating her cake right away, and them making up.

I also liked that Annie took a bit of glee in Helen's tears. I don't think Annie was unlikeable, per se, just not particularly sympathetic. She seemed like an otherwise nice woman who allowed a couple of setbacks to dictate her life for a bit, and made things a lot more difficult than they had to be. That said, the bookends of the friendship at the beginning and end of the movie were great to see.

This might have been mentioned already but that Air Marshall is Melissa's real-life husband.

Really? Even more awesome.

zelmia

zelmia

Fanatic

Posted May 15, 2011 @ 11:07 PM

I was thinking of the bridesmaids, and Lillian in particular, more so than Rhodes and her mom. With Lillian, I didn't see anything she did to purposely hurt Annie.

Maybe not but she didn't exactly stand up for Annie either. Lillian surely knew Annie's financial situation. She could have steered the shopping for dresses toward something more affordable for everyone. Even if her dad was shelling out for those dresses, he wasn't exactly made of money either.
She could have offered to help Annie out with a plane ticket to ... In this case Vegas, but wherever they decided to go it was going to be a hardship on Annie.
Lillian could have at least returned one of Annie's calls. It's understandable to a degree that she was caught up in planning etc. But how much effort does it take to call in the age of cell phones, texting and Facebook?

I didn't get the impression the other bridesmaids - other than Helen - felt they were involved in anything or needed to have any amends made. It was clearly between Lillian, Annie and Helen.

I also appreciated that Rhodes didn't go right back with her - or even bring in her cake right away. I liked that they made a point of saying that just because he was a guy doesn't mean he doesn't think physical intimacy is meaningful. He was very hurt by her behaviour - something Chris O'Dowd does very well, actually.

Edited by zelmia, May 16, 2011 @ 1:34 AM.

TiffanyNichelle

TiffanyNichelle

Fanatic

Posted May 16, 2011 @ 11:28 AM

There were times when it was understandable that Lillian was wrapped up in her wedding because it *is* her wedding but other times when she felt a little oblivious. Not realizing how her friendship with Helen was messing with her friendship with Annie. Even if she was only being friendly because Helen was the boss's wife then that's something she should have made clear to Annie. And a little acknowledgment of the fact that Annie had a lot of money issues at the moment would have been nice. Or call Helen out on being so damn extravagant and over the top with everything. Puppies a bridal gift? A trip to Paris? What? Set some boundaries.

Annie was responsible for all her own stupid antics however. She choose to act childish and be self-centered at times all on her own. There were times she only seemed to want to go on and on about her own problems with Lillian that I'm sure Lillian didn't want to deal with. Right after they get kicked off the plane she's going to call her to talk about hooking up with the cop? Really? You think right now she cares about that?

Despite those issues I really did enjoy this movie and I'm glad it was more than a female Hangover.

Edited by TiffanyNichelle, May 16, 2011 @ 11:28 AM.

zelmia

zelmia

Fanatic

Posted May 16, 2011 @ 12:31 PM

Right after they get kicked off the plane she's going to call her to talk about hooking up with the cop? Really? You think right now she cares about that?

I read that as more of a sort of cry for help - a moment of epiphany where she realised just how directionless she had become. Her "hitting bottom" as Annie's mother would say.

KatrinaJ

KatrinaJ

Fanatic

Posted May 16, 2011 @ 3:02 PM

Loved it. Except that the Wilson Phillips gag was funnier in Harold and Kumar.

mobia

mobia

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 16, 2011 @ 3:41 PM

Agreed. When the Wilson Phillips song came on I felt like it was ripped off from Harold and Kumar as a "friendship bonding song," including air-drumming to the beats and lipsynching to the words.

Empress1

Empress1

Stalker

Posted May 17, 2011 @ 9:17 PM

I actually loved the café scene early in the film. Very relatable, at least in my experience

Yeah, I've had that conversation. Definitely relatable.

And most of the shit she goes through is a direct result of her action/inaction

That's why I liked Megan pointing that out, in no uncertain terms. Yeah, Annie's life sucked and she was entitled to a bit of wallowing, but she needed to start taking some steps to fix it. (And also start saying "I can't afford it." I would not pay $800 for a bridesmaid dress, period, full stop, no matter what my situation; that's too much for a dress I didn't pick out. And since Annie didn't have it, that's the beginning and end of the story. Like zelmia, it bugged me that Lillian wasn't more sensitive to that aspect - she knew Annie was in a precarious financial situation, and apparently her dad was paying and she ran up that budget, or rather allowed Helen to run it up. I think it's bullshit for the wedding party to pay for their own attire, but I know that's How It's Done (I've been a bridesmaid). I have an ex-pat friend in the UK who says over there, it's customary for the couple to foot the bill for the wedding party's attire.)

And Lillian's wedding dress was one of the ugliest I've ever seen, even with the "adjustments" they made. I actually thought Lillian's wedding was pretty tacky - neon lights? Standing in a pool of water?

I thought the weird brother and sister were hilarious. I also loved that Megan was fat, happy, had a high libido, and rich. "I bought an 18-wheeler last week just because I could!"

Except that the Wilson Phillips gag was funnier in Harold and Kumar.

Word. I love that movie, and that bit was funnier in it.

RIP, Jill Clayburgh.

Moviesnob

Moviesnob

Video Archivist

• Interests:movies, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Corgi

Posted May 17, 2011 @ 10:10 PM

Just saw it and loved it. While I can understand how some didn't care for Annie, I loved, related to, and rooted for the character. I like how she was human - she had bad things happen to her, but she was also at fault for her behavior, and for her reaction to some of the situations (like the childish display at the shower). Same for Lillian - she was in the right to be angry at Annie for some situations, but had her own faults at the same time.

Not only her character was irritating, but her acting and voice made me think of her SNL characters, like Judy the fast talker or Penelope the one-upper, and it made her seem really limited as an actress.

In some of her acting, I got whiffs of Wiig's SNL characters - the mannerisms or tone of voice. It felt distracting at times.

vb68

vb68

Stalker

Posted May 17, 2011 @ 10:15 PM

I saw it this afternoon and loved it. It was very funny and enjoyable, and I get tired of Wiig on SNL. It was a small moment, but I did love the George Glass joke. That was just for tv nerds like me.

It was just an enjoyable time.

My only real complaint is I didn't understand why the film wasn't dedicated to Jill Clayburg.

kdill168

kdill168

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 18, 2011 @ 7:52 AM

I see what you’re saying, in some ways it is cheap to make jokes about a heavier woman chasing down unwilling men.

But isn’t part of the reason for that reaction the idea that women must be sexy to everyone in order to be worthwhile people? Seth Rogen, Zack Galifianakis, Will Ferrell, etc have all played on the idea that they don’t have perfect gym toned bodies and no one ever thinks it is mean-spirited towards other men. Melissa McCarthy seemed in control of the character.

Very good point. I was very impressed with the Megan character, I thought they were just going to make her the Zach Galifianakis character from the Hangover, but they didn't do that at all. And I honestly don't remember a time where they played her looks for a laugh. Sure, they didn't dress her very pretty or feminine, but I didn't feel that was the joke at all. I thought her self confidence was the "joke", and later on in the film we find out why she has all this confidence. I thought everything with Megan was phenomenal.

I liked the rest of the movie well enough, but wasn't as blown away as I was expecting. To be fair I went in with very high expectations. I mean a female centric movie and then they throw Chris O'Dowd in there too? Fantastic (although I will be a bit superficial and say that ending kiss made me cringe ... it was just too much lips, or something).

Spartan Girl

Spartan Girl

Fanatic

Posted May 18, 2011 @ 8:13 AM

Loved this movie. It was like the sister to Animal House/Caddyshack/Old School/Revenge of the Nerds that I always wanted.

How is it possible for me to hate Kristen Wiig on SNL, yet love her in this movie? She was funnier than she was on the show, or maybe it was because I could relate to her character (worrying that she and Lillian are growing apart hit home for me because I have a friend who is getting married and I never see that much anymore). For once, we got a wedding movie that didn't have the maid of honor stealing the groom or the bride become a bridezilla!

I loved Melissa McCarthy's character. And I want those puppies. Seriously I WANT THOSE PUPPIES!!!!!

ribboninthesky1

ribboninthesky1

Fanatic

Posted May 18, 2011 @ 8:20 AM

Regarding Lillian, I thought that, after asking her to be the maid of honor, she asked Annie about her situation. It wasn't a deep conversation, but I thought she asked if Annie would be okay with the responsibility, given what she was going through. I'm not sure if she asked about finances specifically, though.

In any case, nothing stopped Annie from expressing her concern over her financial situation at that time (and if I recall correctly, Annie arranged the visit to the expensive bridal shop, knowing full well she was broke). That's your friend, with whom you're supposed to be able to be candid, and she opted not to be. It's entirely possible that Lillian may not have been aware of how dire it was, because Annie never told her the details. There was a scene in the trailer that wasn't in the movie (one of a few, actually) of Annie researching the responsibilities of the maid of honor, and seeing a very long list on her computer. I wish they would have kept that scene in, as for me, it would have really added something to Annie's sense of being overwhelmed.

Ultimately, I can't fault Lillian for being more sensitive to Annie's situation when I suspect that Annie wasn't being entirely honest with Lillian about it. It's a very human thing to withhold details, perhaps out of a sense of pride. I disagree with the implication that it's Lillian's fault not to pick up on it, though. I think the audience had insight to Annie's struggles that Lillian did not.

Lillian could have at least returned one of Annie's calls. It's understandable to a degree that she was caught up in planning etc.

I assumed that she didn't return Annie's calls because she was upset with her. I thought it had less to do with planning, and more to do Annie being a bit of a mess at the time and not wanting to deal with it.

I think Lillian's biggest mistakes were not setting proper boundaries with Helen, and assuming this was the case, not making it clear to Annie that Helen's presence might have been due more to obligation than them being best friends. But neither of those should have been that impactful to Annie or their friendship. Lillian was sort of underdeveloped as a character to put more of the focus and sympathy on Annie.

Milburn Stone

Milburn Stone

Fanatic

Posted May 18, 2011 @ 9:50 AM

I think the plural nature of the film's title is deliberately deceptive. The plural makes you think this is going to be an ensemble comedy, and sets you up for a chick "Hangover." In fact, it's not an ensemble comedy at all. It's Annie's story. (As I think back on it, there may not be a single scene that Kristen Wiig is not in. Which makes sense, given that the movie is Annie's story.)

That said, I think it's a very good film. Although it was different from my expectations, I didn't feel cheated at all. And I don't blame the marketers for trying to increase their odds by titling it so as to create the impression of a wacky ensemble comedy. But it's still a somewhat sneaky move.

Edited by Milburn Stone, May 18, 2011 @ 9:52 AM.