3-6: "I'm with the Band" 2011.05.11

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

52 replies to this topic

ratgirlagogo

ratgirlagogo

Fanatic

Posted May 12, 2011 @ 7:41 PM

I really disliked the guys in Maroon Five. They were really douchey

Pretty much exactly the way I thought they would be.

I am shocked, shocked I tell you that a meal made on moving tour bus was not as refined and as intricately plated as other challenges. I don't have a problem with this challenge, I have a problem with the judges making stupid comments about plating under those circumstances.

I feel compelled to point out that it was of course Restaurant Girl who whined that the plating was the least impressive of the season. And actually I do have a problem with the challenge, the same I had with last week's challenge - too much of the SWERVE! TWIST! PSYCH! part and not enough of the "cooking great food" part.

At one point, James Oseland said, "[Insert chef's name here] is a brilliant and talented chef, and I just expected better." My response, "Well, maybe you should give these poor bastards a chance to actually show us what they can do. God."

The sad part is that that comment could be applied to every episode so far.

Edited by TWoP Nikita, May 12, 2011 @ 9:01 PM.
off-topic

kitty32

kitty32

Fanatic

Posted May 12, 2011 @ 8:55 PM

The fact that they came up with almost exactly the same menu seems kind of odd -- I don't think I would necessarily have picked those things to make, based on what they said. The kicker for me was the band member who'd asked for Thanksgiving and said he'd have preferred a whole turkey to turkey cutlets. WTF?

The editing to NOT mention Tio's corn soup that everyone had raved about was just stupid. I don't see why they couldn't have used that as the reason she was safe -- the idea that everything the losing team made was bad didn't make sense. That's why they're losing the audience -- they're treating us like fools.

Edited by TWoP Nikita, May 12, 2011 @ 9:03 PM.
off-topic

awaken

awaken

Channel Surfer

Posted May 12, 2011 @ 9:57 PM

I have got to know- what was it the band member said looked like poop rolled in seeds!? I thought it was Mary Sue's grilled avocado, but I don't see how that would end up looking like a turd!

I missed hugh's unibrow comment! I have to re-watch! I just want to wax between his eyes!

Penny Robinson

Penny Robinson

Fanatic

Posted May 12, 2011 @ 10:00 PM

I thought it was Mary Sue's grilled avocado, but I don't see how that would end up looking like a turd!

It was Mary Sue's other dish. It did look like poop.

I am sad Alex left.

Onelasttime

Onelasttime

Couch Potato

Posted May 12, 2011 @ 10:31 PM

I am sad Alex left.

To me, he seemed strangely content about leaving. Who knows what hoops they will have to jump through next time? There may be some active volcano they will have to cook on - with no utensils!

jes004

jes004

Fanatic

Posted May 12, 2011 @ 10:42 PM

Corn soup must have saved Tio, because I thought for sure she was going to be knifed. I'm gonna miss Alex. He seemed so normal. I was voting for Tracey/Alex finale. Now I'll go for Tracey/Mary Sue.

greyhorse

greyhorse

Fanatic

Posted May 13, 2011 @ 12:45 AM

I hated the way that teams were decided for the Elimination challenge. So Traci wins, and immediately scoops up the next three best chefs for her team, leaving the bottom three together as their own team. They should have at least made it like choosing kickball teams on the playground. They could have let the 2nd best chef be captain of the other team, or even the worst chef. Was it to avoid the humiliation that one chef would have to suffer if he/she were picked last? I suspect it would have been Celina. Instead, there is no doubt as to who are the stronger chefs and who are the weaker ones.

Happy to see Gail as a guest judge. Makes it so painfully obvious how bad Oseland and Restaurant girl are.

Maroon 5...douchebags. Not sure how Adam Levine has hooked up with so many nubile attractive celebs. He's nothing special. Laughed that while one guy would say something was great, another would say it was just awful. Their palates were just all over the place.

kiki1234

kiki1234

Couch Potato

Posted May 13, 2011 @ 1:52 AM

To me, he seemed strangely content about leaving. Who knows what hoops they will have to jump through next time? There may be some active volcano they will have to cook on - with no utensils!

I thought he did too. In his talking heads he was smiling and seemed happy where normally he seemed really down and a little negative at times. I guess I can't really blame him though. He was probably thinking THIS is not what I signed up for.

Downer

Downer

Channel Surfer

Posted May 13, 2011 @ 6:57 AM

Did anyone else think Gail seemed a little tipsy?

Well, if I had to have dinner with James Oseland, I'd be more than tipsy.

soymilk

soymilk

Fanatic

Posted May 13, 2011 @ 9:09 AM

Here's one bright spot I found in the episode: when the chefs had to rank each other's Quickfire dishes, I wondered why they got to rate their own, but then when nobody ranked their own as #1 (I think), and even Hugh ranked his own last, I was pleasantly surprised by their professionalism and objectivity.

But everything else about this episode sucked.

xingcat

xingcat

Fanatic

Posted May 13, 2011 @ 9:21 AM

Corn soup must have saved Tio, because I thought for sure she was going to be knifed. I'm gonna miss Alex. He seemed so normal. I was voting for Tracey/Alex finale. Now I'll go for Tracey/Mary Sue.

While I adore Mary Sue, she's so inconsistent. I'd love a female/female Final 2, but I think it would be Traci/Naomi at this point. Naomi doesn't rub me the wrong way like she seems to a lot of people who watch.

WWWBearFL

WWWBearFL

Video Archivist

Posted May 13, 2011 @ 5:41 PM

I spent most of the episode screaming at my TV "You made them cook in a fucking RV" whenever one of the "judges" complained about the lack of finesse or high quality.

TC:AS had better conditions on the beach in the Bahamas!! At least they weren't dealing with sharp knives while being driven around LA by Mr. Magoo (TM-upthread) or Mario Andretti in a freaking RV.

TryingHarder

TryingHarder

Fanatic

Posted May 14, 2011 @ 5:25 AM

I'm gonna miss Alex. He seemed so normal.

I realy enjoyed him. I wish we could have seen him really cook !

purpleham

purpleham

Channel Surfer

Posted May 14, 2011 @ 4:11 PM

I hated the way that teams were decided for the Elimination challenge. So Traci wins, and immediately scoops up the next three best chefs for her team, leaving the bottom three together as their own team. They should have at least made it like choosing kickball teams on the playground. They could have let the 2nd best chef be captain of the other team, or even the worst chef. Was it to avoid the humiliation that one chef would have to suffer if he/she were picked last? I suspect it would have been Celina. Instead, there is no doubt as to who are the stronger chefs and who are the weaker ones.

This!!

It also pissed me off that the judges were blaming Celina/Floyd/Alex for taking on too much. Of course they did, because they only had 3 team members (compared to the other team's 4)! Why in the world would the show decide that THIS episode with 7 contestants should have a 2-team EC? And not at least come up with a good reason for the uneven split (for example, the top 4 in the QF get the reward of that extra team member)? I thought it was just terribly designed and rather unfair.

Like everyone else has said, this season has been so incredibly disappointing, and this challenge just emphasizes that.

biakbiak

biakbiak

Stalker

Posted May 14, 2011 @ 4:19 PM

It also pissed me off that the judges were blaming Celina/Floyd/Alex for taking on too much.

They specifically blamed Alex for taking on too much and the other two not helping out. And the team of Celina/Floyd/Alex actually put out one more dish than the team of four, so it seems taking on too much was a valid criticism.

jpgr

jpgr

Couch Potato

Posted May 14, 2011 @ 11:26 PM

I thought it was Mary Sue's grilled avocado, but I don't see how that would end up looking like a turd!

I thought it was the avocado, which was deep fried and rolled in seeds.

Rich1230

Rich1230

Video Archivist

Posted May 15, 2011 @ 11:36 AM

The challenges suck and the judges suck.

<sarcasm>Other than that it is a great show</sarcasm>

culturevulture73

culturevulture73

Fanatic

Posted May 15, 2011 @ 9:52 PM

I spent most of the episode screaming at my TV "You made them cook in a fucking RV" whenever one of the "judges" complained about the lack of finesse or high quality.

WWWBearFL, I was yelling the same thing at my TV - when I managed to stay awake. I wish one of the contestants had just said something like that to the judges. They are more professional than I would be.

I'm glad Hugh survived the first knifing because he and Traci are the only saving graces for me. I think Alex was happy to go home because after the stupidity he's survived thus far, I guess he thinks that he's escaping before they make them cook upside down or in zero gravity.

celestial605

celestial605

Channel Surfer

Posted May 16, 2011 @ 8:38 PM

My favorite part was Tio giving a shoutout to the lovely HUBERT KELLER and his dorm shower pasta awesomeness!

Totally agree that it's annoying how the critics lavish praise on the winning team (and don't discuss their flaws) while they heap insults upon all losing team members (and ignore the parts that deserve a thumbs up). I think it all comes down to the fact that I want to learn more about the masters' backgrounds and work, see how they cook, and hear about how their products taste. This drama and editing shit is really a downer. I've been surfing the web while watching all of these episodes, and I'm not even compelled to rewind when I realize I haven't been paying attention.

Northwester

Northwester

Couch Potato

Posted May 17, 2011 @ 3:16 AM

The editing to NOT mention Tio's corn soup that everyone had raved about was just stupid. I don't see why they couldn't have used that as the reason she was safe

Thank you. I knew someone on the losing team made the highly praised corn soup, and kept expecting them to mention it during the judging. This show just seems to be failing on so many leels.

It probably explain's Chef Tio being safe, but based on the judges' comments I was surprised it was Alex going home and not Floyd, who just made a boring salad and simple grilled steak. I think that Alex should have gotten some credit for all his efforts, but it's been proven time and again on all the cooking shows that in a group challenge you are always better off doing too little than too much.

And add my voice to all those saying no more stupid, contrived challenges, please. If these are really Master Chefs then let them be judged on the quality of their cooking. What a concept! I'm sure these chefs, if they've watched previous seasons, are saying WTF, and probably feeling more than a little dissed.

Other than the infamous dorm challenge, the contestants in the first season were allowed to cook under generally normal circumstances, and the challenges had to do with their ability to make use of certain ingredients or adapt their culinary styles. Last season the show got more gimmicky, and this years things are totally out of control. The Biggest Loser challenge was somewhat interesting, but the past two episodes have been really stupid. Hugh's quips have become about the most enjoyable thing about the show.

Edited by Northwester, May 17, 2011 @ 3:20 AM.

ByTheWay

ByTheWay

Stalker

Posted May 17, 2011 @ 6:03 AM

AllTopChef Interviews Alex Stratta

E!Online Interviews Alex Stratta

Would you do the show again?
Absolutely. I hope they ask me, but I'll be a lot safer. I'll do the things that I've done before.

Trader Joe

Trader Joe

Couch Potato

Posted May 22, 2011 @ 9:37 AM

Dude is HOT.

AladdinSane

AladdinSane

Couch Potato

Posted May 22, 2011 @ 2:45 PM

bluemercuryami:

I'm beginning to think that the producers somehow made whoever it was that left so that Hugh would come back just to bring some form of humor and fun into this version. He seems to be the only expressing any sense of fun (or he's the only one the editors care to let us see having a sense of fun).

I was thinking this exact thing! Hugh is the only cheftestant week in/week out having fun it seems. When he goot booted after week 1, TPTB must have went into overdrive conjuring up scenarios to bring him back. I found out he tweets under '#Hughnibrow' so he is very conscious of his schtick

ETA :while this show disappoints, the snark is championship caliber

Edited by AladdinSane, May 22, 2011 @ 2:46 PM.