My Cat from Hell: Like 'It's Me or the Dog', but with Felines!

• Please log in to reply

703 replies to this topic

Ketzel

Ketzel

Fanatic

Posted Feb 19, 2012 @ 12:19 PM

Did the girlfriend not live there? It was the guy who kept saying he needed to sleep.

I thought that was odd, too. I kept wondering, "Does she work a night shift? Is she just a much heavier sleeper?" They said they'd been together 14 years, IIRC, and they acted as if they shared the space, so I didn't get why he was losing sleep and she wasn't.

I love all cats, but I find the Sphynx hard to look at. A neighbor adopted one from a breeder, and a sweeter-natured cat I never met, but a not-furry cat will always seem odd to me.

Black Knight

Black Knight

Stalker

Posted Feb 19, 2012 @ 10:06 PM

It could have been that she was a heavier sleeper, or it could have been that she's one of those people who only needs 4-5 hours a night anyway. Or she simply didn't want to complain because she found the prospect of having to re-home one of the cats so horrifying.

Polly's male guardian joins the ranks of those clueless people who think they're being scratched with no provocation, when sure enough, once again it proves to be that the guy was holding the cat in a way where the cat couldn't be comfortable.

Perhaps I'm coldhearted because I don't have children and I don't want children, so I do not have a maternal instinct, but I thought the whole "one strike" deal was unfair. I've never heard of a cat actually killing a kid. Sure, I suppose I wouldn't want a cat to scratch my (non-existent) child repeatedly, but Polly clearly acted when provoked and I was kind of surprised that the mom (who didn't seem to ever get scratched, because she never did anything to provoke Polly) didn't see that. My family had a cat when I was growing up, and it scratched me a few times, but I always deserved it. My mother did announce at one point that if I was scratched one more time, she would get rid of the cat, but I promptly cried for two straight nights until she backtracked. I mean, they were just scratches. Hardly life-threatening.

robxr4ti

robxr4ti

Video Archivist

Posted Feb 20, 2012 @ 6:51 AM

The whole situation with the child annoyed me to no end. The parents stand by and watch the boy terrorize the cat endlessly and do nothing but that cat better not scratch him to get away! Clueless people clueless. That's right up there with the mom saying the cat pukes from being angry. The cat should have been removed from that house and the parents should have been torn a new one.

izabella

izabella

Fanatic

Posted Feb 20, 2012 @ 11:26 AM

I am always so happy when Jackson trains the owners properly, because I always feel so sorry for the cats! I feel like so many on this show have been mistreated (not all, and not deliberately) by owners who are too clueless.

Why would you give a stick toy to a child without giving him specific instructions on how to play with it? Better yet, show him by example how to move the toy around. No wonder their kitty didn't feel safe and was always hiding under furniture. I know they love their kid, but they presumably also love the cat, another living creature, so should take the time to teach their kid HOW to touch the cat and how to play with the cat. How would the kid react if someone threw things at his face?!

And the couple with the Sphinx cats! How can they have only ONE cat toy...that they had to dig up from somewhere because it never occurred to them that their cats might like to play? You don't even have to buy toys - almost everything can be a cat toy if you tie it to string and move it around.

I guess it's good that Jackson doesn't yell at these people, but sometimes I wish he would.

dagny

dagny

Fanatic

Posted Feb 20, 2012 @ 12:18 PM

I second the motion with the clueless owners.

When I dumped my cat on my mom (yeah I'm horrible), she was very clear with the toddler niece and nephew about how to interact with the cat. Pretty much implying that if you got scratched, it was your fault.

How can a cat owner not have more that one cat toy, anytime you pick up cat food, the cat toys are right there for the impulse buying.

I checked out the cat shelves on-line. Holy Toledo! $100 for the cat cloud shelves. I decided on buying normal wall shelves and on the recommendation of the nice lady at Home Depot, 1 foot of carpet from their roll ($5). Stuff is still lying around on the floor, but the cats love the carpet.

LizDC

LizDC

Fanatic

Posted Feb 20, 2012 @ 4:50 PM

Someone did need to teach little Rex how to play with Polly. Maybe they should have had him sit on chair and wave the stick back and forth instead of charging at the cat with it. Or let him use a laser pointer (after first teaching not to aim it in his eye).

BengalKitty

BengalKitty

Video Archivist

Posted Feb 21, 2012 @ 10:58 AM

How can they have only ONE cat toy

I know! How can you not, at the least, have a few of those mini mice things? Heck, my cat prefers the top pull strip off foil/plastic packaging like shredded cheese or his cat treats. Those and the milk carton rings are free! Poor kitties. They only had their own version of hide and seek, which unfortunately Black Rose always lost.

I thought Polly was afraid of Rex. With good reason, too, after I saw him with the stick toy. The parents came across as thinking that Rex would instinctivly know how to interact with Polly without being taught. I don't have kids, but don't most parents do the, "Pet the kitty [or doggie] gently while holding their child's hand and "petting" the animal softly? From Polly's point of view her quiet home has been invaded by yelling/crying Rex. I'd be hiding under the bed, too.

izabella

izabella

Fanatic

Posted Feb 21, 2012 @ 12:16 PM

I don't have kids, but don't most parents do the, "Pet the kitty [or doggie] gently while holding their child's hand and "petting" the animal softly?

I don't have kids either, but I always assumed that pet owners would teach their kids how to interact with the pet. "Kitty/puppy can't breathe if you squish him; we hold him like this." "If the cat is hiding under furniture and you try to grab him, he will be scared and scratch you".

They're always afraid of what the cat will do (scratching, biting) to the child, but don't seem to even "see" what the child is doing that is frightening or provoking the cat. But, I guess that makes sense since many of these cat owners don't understand what they themselves are doing that antagonizes the cat.

Mystery

Mystery

Fanatic

Posted Feb 21, 2012 @ 4:19 PM

I don't have kids, but don't most parents do the, "Pet the kitty [or doggie] gently while holding their child's hand and "petting" the animal softly?

I don't have kids, either, but I've had cats for 30 years and lots of friends with kids. And they always do that. Whether the child has pets at home or not. The other thing that works is to tell the child that the cat is taking a nap-- for some reason (maybe because they don't like being messed with during their own naps! or maybe they don't want their parents to keep talking about naps) that always makes even the smallest children back right off.

I've also known a few cats (and dogs) who always want to be right by children, whether the pets are getting their fur pulled or not.

BengalKitty

BengalKitty

Video Archivist

Posted Feb 22, 2012 @ 4:05 PM

I've also known a few cats (and dogs) who always want to be right by children, whether the pets are getting their fur pulled or not.

Yeah, for all the cats that go hide under the bed, there is that one oddball that likes to be dressed in doll clothes and pushed around in a baby stroller. LOL!

HappyHumanist

HappyHumanist

Channel Surfer

Posted Feb 23, 2012 @ 11:38 AM

Looks like My Cat from Hell and hipster-doofus Jackson will be coming to New York! (My friend is an actor and got this open casting call yesterday)

Casting Notice
Project Name: My Cat from Hell! (NY)
Project Type: Reality TV
Rate/Compensation: TBD with Producers
Requesting Submissions From: New Jersey, New York, Puerto Rico

Role:
Cat Owners!

Role Type:
Co-Star

Gender/Age/Ethnicities:
Male or Female / 18 to 99 / All Ethnicities

Description/Note:
Is your cat's behavior driving you or others crazy? Are you at your WIT'S END? Do you NEED HELP getting your cat to behave?

Kids with Unruly Cats! Is your cat's behavior driving you, your parents or others CRAZY? Are you and your parents at your WIT'S END?? Do you and your parents need help getting your cat to behave before your parents have to give him or her up?

So, it's not just people with bad cats; it's also now kids with crazy cats.

SiameseCatLady

SiameseCatLady

Fanatic

Posted Feb 23, 2012 @ 3:11 PM

They're always afraid of what the cat will do (scratching, biting) to the child, but don't seem to even "see" what the child is doing that is frightening or provoking the cat. But, I guess that makes sense since many of these cat owners don't understand what they themselves are doing that antagonizes the cat.

Rex's mom needs to chill the heck out! I doubt that Polly is going to maim or murder him, especially unprovoked. He needs to learn how to treat her and there are probably going to be some scratches. Let's just say I'm lots older than Rex and sometimes my cats scratch me. Of course, I had a mean mom because as a kid, my brother and I had pets of all kinds who would occassionally scratch us - totally justifiably - it's how we learned how to treat them, what felt good to them, what scared them, etc.

Edited because "main" and "maim" are different words and mean different things.

Edited by SiameseCatLady, Feb 23, 2012 @ 3:13 PM.

Heynow99

Heynow99

Loyal Viewer

Posted Feb 23, 2012 @ 6:03 PM

I know someone who has a child that constantly pulled on their cat's fur and ears. Of course the child was a toddler and didn't mean harm. The cat was never bothered by the child and the cat would constantly lay with the child. I guess that cat didn't have a problem with the child.

Rex's mom needs to chill the heck out! I doubt that Polly is going to maim or murder him, especially unprovoked. He needs to learn how to treat her and there are probably going to be some scratches.

Right.

Mystery

Mystery

Fanatic

Posted Mar 3, 2012 @ 10:07 PM

Saw the rerun today with Minibar the "70% domesticated" cat. I'm sure Carre, her owner, would call herself a cat person because she has two (three, with Minibar) but she's not what I would call a cat person. When she was gushing over her "hidden" litterbox I thought, I bet that litterbox doesn't get cleaned very often, and what I saw with the two "open" boxes made me think I was right. If you don't clean those up when someone with a camera is coming over, I bet you don't clean them very much the rest of the time. Yuck! And the whole time, the Minibar situation was all about her. "I want a cat who is comforted when I pet her," not "I want a cat who feels safe," or "I want a cat who is happy." The cat had to be comforted by HER. Even at the end, she was so happy to be petting Minibar while the cat was curled up sleeping as close to a corner as she could get. I'll reach over and rub my cat when I go by, if he's sleeping, but if he STAYS sleeping I leave him be until he decides to come over to me. A cat who's ready to be interacted with will uncurl from a sleeping position and stretch out to be petted. Or at least reach his head up toward your hand. Minibar was just tolerating it. I felt kind of bad for Banzai, curled up awake nearby, who would probably have liked some attention.

I was interested in Jackson's take that a cat can only be domesticated or feral, not a percentage of either.

ETA: I forgot about Duff! Such an easy fix, to get him a better litter box and get him "up" onto the ledge in the room, and yet it worked. I hope people who watch are maybe seeing things that their cats could benefit from.

Edited by Mystery, Mar 3, 2012 @ 10:27 PM.

Lava VaVoom

Lava VaVoom

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 3, 2012 @ 11:57 PM

Can a feral cat be domesticated?

Mystery

Mystery

Fanatic

Posted Mar 4, 2012 @ 12:11 AM

Hmmm. Jackson said that a cat can be feral or domesticated. I would say that they can be (he didn't say anything like, this feral cat can never be domesticated)-- I think his point was just that there's not an ALMOST domesticated cat.

PS, I love your name!

Edited by Mystery, Mar 4, 2012 @ 12:11 AM.

Black Knight

Black Knight

Stalker

Posted Mar 4, 2012 @ 2:52 PM

Yes, that's what I understood Jackson to be saying too - either a cat is feral or domesticated, and a cat can change from one state to the other, but that there's no such thing as a in-between point between the two states.

As far as Minibar goes, this is the only time I recall where Jackson has had to make extra visits and work heavily with the cat himself, as opposed to having the other people do all the work with the cat. I believe he said something about visiting every day for a week to work with Minibar. So while Carre was handling stuff like the litterbox wrong, I give her a break because it was clear that Minibar needed a lot more than just some modifications in the environment and some training of the owners. The other cats on this show, by and large, have been pretty easy to "fix" if you just know the rules and usual solutions, but Minibar was in a different category.

I teared up when Jackson was tearing up talking about how Marco for a minute became the face of all the cats he saw in animal shelters who ended up euthanized just because they were scared. Heartbreaking.

Rewatching the Brooklyn/Tim/Kleo segment, when Brooklyn's cat is introduced to Tim's two cats, it was just so completely on point that of course Brooklyn's cat was the one to claim alpha-cat status over the other two.

Silver Angel's Mom

Silver Angel's Mom

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 4, 2012 @ 5:56 PM

Silver Angel has a cat who was found with her littermates in an abandonded apartment. They were about 5 months old at the time. Darcy has never really settled into our home, but she picked SA as "her" human. It has taken a year of being around her for Darcy not not run and hide and the sound of my voice. She will play with me when I have the flying bird toy. The other house cat is her SWORN ENEMY!

LizDC

LizDC

Fanatic

Posted Mar 30, 2012 @ 8:32 AM

Renewed!

MY CAT FROM HELL

Cat behaviorist Jackson Galaxy tackles the most catastrophic cat cases anyone has ever encountered in MY CAT FROM HELL. Armed with more than 15 years of experience, a proven training program and his signature guitar case filled with cat toys, Galaxy is on a mission to help cat owners find the source of conflict with their furry friends. In each episode, Jackson swoops in to solve a gamut of feline-related issues and to repair the relationships they're ruining. Whether it's the cat or the owners behaving badly, leave it to Galaxy to save the day! New for the upcoming season, Jackson takes his cat listening skills to the city that never sleeps and confronts hellish cats that hail from New York. MY CAT FROM HELL is produced for Animal Planet by 3 Ball Productions/Eyeworks USA. Melinda Toporoff is the executive producer for Animal Planet. JD Roth, Todd A. Nelson and Adam Kaloustian are executive producers for 3 Ball.

izabella

izabella

Fanatic

Posted Mar 30, 2012 @ 10:23 AM

I'm glad it was renewed! I like the show and I like Jackson. It's nice to see cats getting attention on tv shows - there are a lot of misbehaving owners out there who need help!

SiameseCatLady

SiameseCatLady

Fanatic

Posted Mar 31, 2012 @ 4:24 PM

Kittens can. I discovered a neighborhood cat had had kittens under my deck a couple of summers ago. They were about 8 weeks old when I discovered them and were later neutered and kept in my garage for about 2 months while my mother was in the process of moving here. They are now living with her and have become lap babies. I've seen some feral adults and older kittens domesticated and others who could not be, so I guess it depends on the cat.

hielandfoodie

hielandfoodie

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 1, 2012 @ 3:14 PM

I"m very glad this program was renewed. I love cats. As for ferals, we had a mom and three kittens in our yard. Mom flew the coop (over a 6-foot fence), but we got the babies and they've all been placed in homes where they've adjusted well.

JTMacc99

JTMacc99

Stalker

Posted Apr 10, 2012 @ 8:10 AM

Kittens can.

I missed this episode, but will be sure to DVR it the next time it comes on.

We adopted Lenny and Carl about 10 years ago when they were picked up off the streets with their mother. They were about 3-4 months old at the time. They both remained very much scaredy-cats for years and years. Carl eventually became the dominant cat and is a big mush. He tolerates all sorts of touching, and even just goes along with the program when my very nurturing 5 year old daughter picks him up to put him on his favorite pillow. He also panics and runs away over simple movements like standing up and getting off the couch to this day. Lenny, on the other hand, was never really able to settle in. He suffered from a series of stress related ailments as well, and we tried almost everything to help him.. Some of it was related to not liking his place in the cat hierarchy and some of it was probably related to just always being on edge about everything.

I just discovered this show recently, and am planning to watch a bunch of it to see if I can learn some more stuff about cat behavior.

ubi

ubi

Stalker

Posted May 13, 2012 @ 3:28 PM

I watched one ep this weekend with a couple (I think the cat was named Marco) who wanted to get married once they fixed their cat problem, but I got the impression there was a LOT more going on between them than just the cat and Jackson seemed to hint as much. I wish I could remember more details, but did anyone else get the same impression?

Linky Loo

Linky Loo

Video Archivist

Posted May 13, 2012 @ 6:46 PM

I watched one ep this weekend with a couple (I think the cat was named Marco) who wanted to get married once they fixed their cat problem, but I got the impression there was a LOT more going on between them than just the cat and Jackson seemed to hint as much. I wish I could remember more details, but did anyone else get the same impression?

Marco was the cat that attacked the little dog Yuki. Kleo was on the same episode, her owners got engaged at the end of their segment, which had Jackson wiping away tears. While it was a sweet ending to their televised story, it seemed like they had a lot more than warring cat issues going on with their relationship.

ScrubMonkey

ScrubMonkey

Fanatic

Posted May 15, 2012 @ 7:25 PM

I would say that about most if not all the couples on this series. I can't offhand think who this couple could be, since so many had underlying issues, battles, etc. But I can't understand anyone choosing a pet over someone human that they intended to spend their life with. Not if the pet is psychotic and cannot live with humans. Call a no kill shelter.

Linky Loo

Linky Loo

Video Archivist

Posted May 16, 2012 @ 5:51 PM

I would say that about most if not all the couples on this series. I can't offhand think who this couple could be, since so many had underlying issues, battles, etc.

I don't disagree that most of the couples seem to have issues. This was the couple where the cat scratched him and she picked the cat up and gave it a kiss.

Mystery

Mystery

Fanatic

Posted May 31, 2012 @ 3:26 PM

In the absence of new episodes for this show, I've been catching up on The Dog Whisperer, which I had only seen a few episodes of. I just saw one from the other day about a French bulldog named Miles who belonged to the Velvet Revolver drummer, Matt something, and his girlfriend Ace. At the beginning, Cesar said something about dogs not following "unstable people," and Matt and Ace smiled at each other and Ace asked, "How do we become stable?" The moment struck me because it seems as if so many of the couples on The Dog Whisperer and My Cat from Hell spend the whole episode without looking at each other at all. It DOES make me think that there are other problems than the pet, or that the pet has exacerbated other problems. Matt and Ace just struck me as much more of a team than a lot of the couples I see on both shows. And I hate to see it on either show when a cat or a dog strikes out at one partner and the other one picks up and cuddles the animal. That's a disturbing message to me.

LizDC

LizDC

Fanatic

Posted Jun 15, 2012 @ 2:36 PM

The new season starts back up on June 30.

LizDC

LizDC

Fanatic

Posted Jun 29, 2012 @ 6:29 AM

Jackson Galaxy Fixes Felines on My Cat From Hell

http://www.tvguide.c...ll-1049310.aspx