My Cat from Hell: Like 'It's Me or the Dog', but with Felines!

• Please log in to reply

703 replies to this topic

Lava VaVoom

Lava VaVoom

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 22, 2012 @ 1:47 PM

I'd like to see Jackson do an "ask the cat expert" questions, so fans can ask away.

fostersmom

fostersmom

Fanatic

Posted Jan 22, 2012 @ 2:58 PM

When Tim proposed to Brook on the end of the Cleo episode, did anybody besides me scream, "Nooooo! RUN TIM, RUUUUUUN!" ?

Nope. Not only was she like, super, like annoying, she struck me as a complete idiot. I'd bet she went back to her bad habits with the cat the very next day and harped Tim to death about anything he did "wrong". I laughed when he said she would be a good mother, all I could think was she would be the mom who raised a holy terror who beats up other kids while mom is all "not my angel, s/he would never do anything like that!".

It's a miracle the little dog with the other couple hadn't suffered a major wound. Suiting up in a leather coat and gloves to deal with a cat? I'd be terrified to turn my back on the thing, I'd be waiting to be attacked in my sleep.

cpcathy

cpcathy

Fanatic

Posted Jan 22, 2012 @ 3:15 PM

Last night's episode had me grinning from ear to ear; Marco turning into a content, loving cat from the evil hisser and attacker that he was really got me, and Jackson too. You can really tell that dude loves cats, he teared up over remembering working at the shelters, I was so thrilled that Marco could become a much happier cat.

When Tim proposed to Brook on the end of the Cleo episode, did anybody besides me scream, "Nooooo! RUN TIM, RUUUUUUN!" ?

My thoughts exactly. Both Mr CP and I were like, that chick is HIGH maintenance. She will be a handful.

izabella

izabella

Fanatic

Posted Jan 22, 2012 @ 4:14 PM

I was yelling that as soon as he said he gave up his dog because she didn't like him. When the ring came out, I was just shaking my head and thinking there's no way that would ever last.

Angry Chihuahua

Angry Chihuahua

Channel Surfer

Posted Jan 22, 2012 @ 8:02 PM

Brook is the most unpleasant, obnoxious person I have ever seen on this show, and maybe any reality show. Nasty, spoiled, selfish, self centered...She screeched like a fishwife at poor Tim ,accusing him of wanting her to get rid of her cat-When she whined at him about his poor dog till Tim was weak enough to get rid of him.

Tim is a fool. Brook is only going to become more of an argumentative ball buster as time goes by. As awful as their relationship was before, it's going to get much worse once he's stupid enough to marry her. And she's going to be a total harpy once the inevitable divorce. God help them if they reproduce before they divorce!

But as much as I dislike Brook, I can't say I am impressed with Tim. What a weakling! I have a cat and two dogs, and anyone who tries to pout and sulk till I get rid of any of them is history.

dagny

dagny

Fanatic

Posted Jan 23, 2012 @ 1:34 PM

Brook is the most unpleasant, obnoxious person I have ever seen on this show, and maybe any reality show. Nasty, spoiled, selfish, self centered...She screeched like a fishwife at poor Tim ,accusing him of wanting her to get rid of her cat-When she whined at him about his poor dog till Tim was weak enough to get rid of him.

Another reason why you really shouldn't go on reality TV shows at all. You might not like what side of you the show puts on. That being said, she didn't sould like a person Tim should marry.

I was surprised that Marco wasn't give a way to go high. I'm glad that the girlfriend recognized that Yuki was the instigator of the drama.

EndoKE

EndoKE

Fanatic

Posted Jan 23, 2012 @ 2:40 PM

Marco was adorable. I knew that the poor thing was scared. I had a cat who acted like that because he was terrified, but when he came back to mom's apartment, he was fine.

My mom called me and said that he'd better run BEFORE he even proposed. She thought he was an idiot.

I adore Jackson, the man really, really does love cats.

sweetlilvoice

sweetlilvoice

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 23, 2012 @ 4:15 PM

I was so moved by Jackson's response to Marco at the end. It brought tears to my eyes.

I thought the proposal was a total joke.

Ketzel

Ketzel

Fanatic

Posted Jan 23, 2012 @ 7:23 PM

Unlike "It's Me or the Dog" or even "Supernanny," for that matter, MCFH seems to show very little of the actual training. I'd have loved to see Marco being clicker-trained to sit! I want more details on what the homework assignments are for the "guardians." I want to see some shopping for cat trees and toys and how they decide where to install the cat highways. For some reason, this show seems very "thin" on actual content and it could be so incredibly useful with more information (and fewer five minute commercial breaks.)

selkie

selkie

Fanatic

Posted Jan 23, 2012 @ 7:32 PM

I wish Jackson had mentioned why it wasn't good for Shanna (I think it was) to pet City before picking him up to get him off the bed. Instead, Jackson just made eye and voice contact and then picked him up.

I had a cat that, while not a Bengal, was rather high strung and very aware of his environment. If you had to make him do something he didn't want to do, like get pilled, you just went and did it with no fanfare or hint of what was coming. It was like if you could make the whole process as uneventful, matter of fact, and 'whatever' as you could, the cat was more likely to model your behavior and go 'Eh? Whatever?' as well. If you clued him into what was coming, then it gave him time to think that it might be appropriate to react more strongly.

So based on my experiences, I can see why Jackson's Just Do It approach can work well with some cats.

HD Dee Dee

HD Dee Dee

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 23, 2012 @ 9:40 PM

Jackson's reaction to Marco at the end was just so touching, as was seeing the dog and the cat just hanging there in the hallway together. It's all so sweet!

Jackson is now officially my new Secret TV Boyfriend. He's a doll!

kribistibin

kribistibin

Channel Surfer

Posted Jan 24, 2012 @ 3:36 AM

Count me in as someone who wants more information in the shows. I don't mind the current set-up (although I'm getting tired of "the cat might make us break up!"), but more details would be good--i.e., something beyond a glimpse at the video diaries.

Brook's boyfriend clearly proposed so they could tell their friends they did so on TV. Of course, when their friends ask the name of the show, they'll get into another fight about whose cat was really "from hell." Ugh, they were insufferable. If I were Jackson, I would have walked out of the door as soon as they started bickering. Maybe Jackson needs a helper or someone he can turn to in situations like that, because it was uncomfortable to watch.

Christmas Time

Christmas Time

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jan 24, 2012 @ 9:05 AM

The episode where they were afraid that the cat will smother the baby should not come over to my daughters house. She has 4 cats and they all sleep in the crib with my grandson.

EndoKE

EndoKE

Fanatic

Posted Jan 26, 2012 @ 9:14 AM

I think Jackson wanted to get out of that house with the bickering couple. He even said, "I'm not a relationship counselor" or something like that.

I have never heard that cats would smother a baby, on the contrary, I think a cat will breathe on you if they think you're NOT breathing.

BengalKitty

BengalKitty

Video Archivist

Posted Jan 26, 2012 @ 12:32 PM

I have never heard that cats would smother a baby, on the contrary, I think a cat will breathe on you if they think you're NOT breathing.

It's an old wive's tale that you shouldn't have a cat near a baby. Supposedly, the cat smells the milk on the baby's breathe and wants to get closer. Hence the "smothering." Ya know, kind of like a black cat is bad luck, especially if you see one on Friday the 13th while walking under a ladder.

Anyone want to start a pool for the divorce date for Tim and Brooke? I wouldn't be surprised to see her pop up on Say Yes to the Dress and then Bridezillas.

I thought the show was perfect until others started pointing out how to make it better. Maybe TPTB will see our suggetions. I would like to see the hands on training, too. Or maybe a trip to a pet store to point out the best kind of cat tree, cat toy, cat bed etc. . .

EndoKE

EndoKE

Fanatic

Posted Jan 26, 2012 @ 2:55 PM

I wonder how many cats Jackson has. He has a tattoo of one cat (maybe there are more) on his arm.

I agree that the show could be more informative, maybe though people like the drama.

Ketzel

Ketzel

Fanatic

Posted Jan 29, 2012 @ 1:32 PM

Mr. Fluff was such a perfect example of a Maine Coon - will eat anything on offer, kind of goofy/playful and he was getting completely the wrong message from his people. To a Maine Coon, all things are toys and everything is a game until otherwise convinced. So I wouldn't recommend turning out the light, running across the room and jumping into bed unless you want Mr. Fluff to enthusiastically join in the fun.

Yorkville

Yorkville

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jan 29, 2012 @ 1:43 PM

This really is supernanny for cats- the owners are clueless for the most part. Brooklyn..eek, most annoying person ever. I agree, run T
im run!

Mystery

Mystery

Fanatic

Posted Jan 29, 2012 @ 2:38 PM

Some of these people don't have the most basic knowledge of cats (but I guess I wouldn't want people to stop taking cats in, just because they (the people) don't know everything). Mr. Fluff's male owner should have seen that the cat thought he was playing with the pillow-- the cat bounded away from it, tail straight up.

There are some cute "cat babysitter" videos out there showing cats gently stroking crying babies until they stop crying. I didn't think anyone still believed the "smothering" old wives tale.

For the couple with the cat who couldn't bear to be touched on her back-- they were pretty clueless. Jackson told them during the first visit that he wanted the cat to be able to get around the house "up high" and they went out and bought ONE piece of cat furniture for her? And with three cats, I think it was, they didn't have one scratching post?

couchspudstud

couchspudstud

Video Archivist

Posted Jan 29, 2012 @ 8:32 PM

I saw this show for the first time last night and this is exactly what I said. That poor guy, he'll never get what he wants now, hopefully she's good in bed.

CatsWithAxes

CatsWithAxes

Fanatic

Posted Jan 29, 2012 @ 8:38 PM

Just saw the episode with Tim and "Brooklyn", and yeah, she was a turn off. The best was when she started kissing Cleo because she was "so cute", right after the cat attacked Tim. And then she couldn't figure out why there was a problem? Jackson's eye-roll said it all.

(I have to honestly say that neither Tim nor Brooklyn struck me as particularly bright. He seemed really into her, though, so either he's in denial, or there are nicer aspects to her personality that we didn't get to see onscreen. In any event, while it might be fun to prognosticate doom for their marriage, I'm not sure that will be the case.)

I liked the second installment with Marco, who seemed like a really sweet cat at heart who was just lashing out because he was scared. I also had a little trouble believing that the total change in him was effected in just a week though. But it was cool to see how emotional Jackson got at the end. He does really seem to know what he's doing.

Edited by CatsWithAxes, Jan 29, 2012 @ 11:52 PM.

izabella

izabella

Fanatic

Posted Jan 29, 2012 @ 10:12 PM

I've watched most of the episodes now, and while I really like Jackson, I think all the cats are stealing the show. I've enjoyed seeing their personalities come out.

cabelcb

cabelcb

Channel Surfer

Posted Jan 30, 2012 @ 7:02 PM

To a Maine Coon, all things are toys and everything is a game until otherwise convinced. So I wouldn't recommend turning out the light, running across the room and jumping into bed unless you want Mr. Fluff to enthusiastically join in the fun.

I don't own a Maine Coon but I could see how a cat would see that as a game. I have some very playful cats and my one cat is always jumping on my feet if I move them under a blanket. I have to show her my feet so she knows to stop. That is just the way she is built.

I think Jackson has some good insights into cats. I like his shocked expressions when dealing with clueless owners. Sometimes he just looks so pained.

dreamcoat11

dreamcoat11

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 30, 2012 @ 7:32 PM

I've really been enjoying this show, although I did NOT enjoy that my Tivo recorded two episodes that it claimed were "My Cat from Hell" but were actually that icky infestation show. Bad tivo!

As a relatively new cat owner (a little over a year), this show has really given me some great ideas. Granted, I'm not nearly as clueless as some of these folks (do they really not have any toys? Only clean the litterbox twice a month?), but the importance of tiring a cat out, how to approach them in a non-threatening way, etc. I would love for Jackson to come and tell me why my cat loves to push things off my dresser and desk when I'm sleeping, but so far he hasn't tackled that on his show.

I do hope some of the cluelessness is staged, though, if only for the cats' sakes. I felt so bad for the cat that was having arthritis or some other joint issue and lashed out whenever someone touched his rear. Surely they must have thought that a thorough check-up was in order after that "unidentified trauma"!

queasy

queasy

Stalker

Posted Jan 30, 2012 @ 10:27 PM

The couple who apparently never cleaned up the cat pee were something else. They have what looked to be a very expensive house and didn't want to mess up their "esthetic" by installing cat perches on their walls, yet they allowed the cat to pee all over their den to the point of rotting some of the drywall. And Jackson said the smell blew his hair back. They finally bought that smallish, modern looking cat tree for the living room but we never heard if the cat liked or even used it.

My cat doesn't like being petted on her rump area or having her tail touched. She's not a biter but she'll meow and jump away. You know how I fixed that behavior? I don't pet her there! Jeez.

Be nice to see some problems other than aggression.

Has Jackson gained a lot of weight this season?

Edited by queasy, Jan 31, 2012 @ 7:57 AM.

Yorkville

Yorkville

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jan 31, 2012 @ 12:35 AM

If Jackson could explain why kitties push everything off night tables and dressers at night I'd be happy. I assume it is because the like the attention in the aftermath...even if we are cursing them out.

Also, I agree I enjoy seeing the true cat selves emerge.

This is easier to watch than RHBH although the claws are as sharp.

cpcathy

cpcathy

Fanatic

Posted Jan 31, 2012 @ 3:29 PM

If Jackson could explain why kitties push everything off night tables and dressers at night I'd be happy. I assume it is because the like the attention in the aftermath...even if we are cursing them out.

Hysterical! I thought I was the only "victim" of this practice. Mr CP's late cat Spencer would do this to get me to feed him in the morning (usually VERY early, and only after attempts to get me up by purring loudly and faking dry-heaving).

My cat doesn't like being petted on her rump area or having her tail touched. She's not a biter but she'll meow and jump away. You know how I fixed that behavior? I don't pet her there! Jeez.

My cat doesn't like being touched near her rump area either. I think it's just an individual thing.

Edited by cpcathy, Jan 31, 2012 @ 3:35 PM.

EndoKE

EndoKE

Fanatic

Posted Feb 1, 2012 @ 11:38 AM

Most of the cats my mom has had never liked to be touched near their behinds, but it was never a medical thing; they just didn't want their butts touched.

I would love for Jackson to come and tell me why my cat loves to push things off my dresser and desk when I'm sleeping, but so far he hasn't tackled that on his show.

My mom had a cat who did that a lot, we figured it meant, "Get up you lazy human, pay attention to ME."

Ketzel

Ketzel

Fanatic

Posted Feb 1, 2012 @ 11:59 AM

I assume the motive for knocking things off the dresser is always "Feed Me! Play With Me! Scratch Me Under The Chin!" I'd love to know if Jackson has other insights into the behavior.

I solved the problem (in much the same way as Jackson solved the problem of Stella the Cat Who Lashed Out At People Who Touched Her Back End) by putting most of the top-of-the-dresser/nightstand stuff into drawers, except for immediate needs (tissues, clock) which I leave on the floor by the bed. In response, my cat trots in with a toy mouse in the morning and bats it in my face. :-)

dreamcoat11

dreamcoat11

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 1, 2012 @ 3:31 PM

My cat did it again last night, despite the fact that I played with him for an hour and a half right before bed, and then cleared off most of my dressers and only left "decoy" stuff on top that wouldn't be loud if he batted it off. Instead he managed to trounce through stuff on my floor and make noise that way at 3AM. Which is the same time he usually does it, so obviously the playing didn't help much.

I think he wanted food (because he sure as heck didn't want me to pet him), not that that makes it any better.

I guess I'm back to locking him out of my room at nights...being woken up at 3AM every night is not an option.