3-22: "The Day We Died" 2011.05.06 (recap)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

482 replies to this topic

alynch

alynch

Fanatic

Posted May 6, 2011 @ 9:14 PM

He vanished out of space/time? I mean... huh? Why? He bridged the worlds - Ok. He got them together to try and fix things - Ok. But how does that make him just vanish? It wasn't some fanwank-able bit of paradoxical timey-wimey character respawn, it was just.. without reason. It makes the journey of the episode almost nonsensical, because they just jammed this last shocker in with no line of reasoning behind it.

Well, a cliffhanger with an explanation wouldn't really be a cliffhanger.

deb50

deb50

Video Archivist

Posted May 6, 2011 @ 9:14 PM

Ok so the rift between the 2 worlds was because of Peter, but now Peter never existed but there is still a rift? I need to have a long chat with the Observer!

the fresh maker

the fresh maker

Fanatic

Posted May 6, 2011 @ 9:15 PM

Blue Universe, Red Universe, Purple Universe (in one room, no less--hee!), and a non-existent Peter. :( I did laugh when he basically told the Walters, "Y'all bitches work it out." Walternate's not going to want to cooperate, but I don't think there's any way the Alternate Fringe team is gonna have his back on that one. The Other Olivia just loved letting him know how badly he failed (and she was oddly calm in the face of what she believed was her eminent destruction).

Peter has to come back--at some point. If the Observers are the only ones who know that he existed, are they going to tell the others about Peter? Do the Observers no longer find Peter relevant (Peter's illness was the catalyst for all of this--Walter never would have caused destruction to the Red Universe if he didn't know he could cure Walternate's son)? Or will everyone somehow find out about Peter on their own? Does Peter and Other Olivia's son still exist?

John Noble's acting, again, was amazing. Future Walter's so burdened by his actions and decision making that he's slumped over, and he can't even raise his head to look people in the eye. Future Walternate is so hateful and bitter that he's literally stiff and barely moving. Oh, and the Twizzler scene! So much said with absolutely no words. Interesting--and I'm happy about this--there was an acknowledgment that Astrid wasn't allowed to "spread her wings" taking care of Walter.

The little girl that didn't exist in the kid's drawing held Peter's hand. Important, especially since Peter no longer exists?

When Peter accused Broyles of using Walter for re-election, I honestly wouldn't have minded Broyles reaching across that desk and snatching Peter bald.

I always enjoy the alternate credits. My favorite about this opening? We get a list of fringe sciences that includes Bio Suspension, Dual Maternity, and...Water.

Hurry back soon, Fringe!

ReadIshmael

ReadIshmael

Stalker

OMG, show, what did you just do? What?!

I'm super-glad the trip to the future wasn't permanent, though, and was almost glad when Olivia died because that's when I knew there was no chance it would be. It was a cool idea, very well-executed (though I wanted to see Our Lincoln involved somehow and was bummed when he didn't show up), but I didn't think things were resolved enough to make that jump. And I love the idea of the universes working together. So I was feeling so relieved about the ending. And then they erased Peter. Goddamnit.

marie81

marie81

Couch Potato

So Walter was convicted of destroying the universes and sent to prison...and I figure he suffered a stroke?

I regret that we didn't get a single Walter/Astrid scene in the future. She adored Walter. I can't imagine her somehow not taking the time to see him.

I wasn't very nervous about Olivia dying, because I figured something would happen to bring her back to life.

I just don't get this Peter never existed. He had to have existed. Both sides had to have existed. Otherwise how/why did Walter cross over in the first place?

Edited by marie81, May 6, 2011 @ 9:18 PM.

Money Magnet

Money Magnet

Fanatic

Posted May 6, 2011 @ 9:16 PM

I'll bet Peter has been taken up into the realm of the Observers. Hope they don't make him shave his head :-)

The Observers exist outside of space/time... so does Peter now (at least, for the time being).

LizJ

LizJ

Just Tuned In

Yeah, but do we KNOW that Joshua Jackson has NOT left the show? If he was going to, wouldn't they have wanted to keep it quiet till they could throw this twist into the finale?

I'm just kidding, really. I doubt that Joshua Jackson has left the show. He may be missing for a little while, though. Because I can see the folks at Bad Robot putting us through some major torture on this one.

arcadia63

arcadia63

Loyal Viewer

I wonder if this was filmed before they got the pickup and was intended as a series ending if need be, or if they changed it to have a story for next season.

LizJ

LizJ

Just Tuned In

Posted May 6, 2011 @ 9:17 PM

Oops...sorry, editing this because my last post posted twice. Posting in dual universes, I guess.

Edited by LizJ, May 6, 2011 @ 9:17 PM.

Whiteotter

Whiteotter

Fanatic

Posting in dual universes, I guess.

...this message board is in the bridge room, isn't it.

Wait - how does Peter, in creating a shared space among the two universes, eliminate himself from existence?

Money Magnet, I like that idea. The opening credits include the terms Brain Porting, Thought Extraction, Dual Maternity, Chaos Structure, Water and Hope.

Edited by Whiteotter, May 6, 2011 @ 9:25 PM.

Money Magnet

Money Magnet

Fanatic

Oh, and what was that "Dual Maternity" shit in the opening credits? A clue that next season involves integration of Olivia and Fauxlivia?

mrsdalgleish

mrsdalgleish

Fanatic

Posted May 6, 2011 @ 9:18 PM

What the everloving f*ckity-f*ck? Well, ok then. The alternate versions of everyone know each other and no one knows there was ever a Peter. Sure! Why not?

I appreciated (1) the Brad Dourif cameo (as an original X-Phile, I'm going to consider it a shout-out); (2) the fringe science items in the credits; and (3) the chance to see AT and JN's dual portrayals side-by-side.

I also appreciated the immediate execution (if you'll pardon the pun) of Olivia's death. No drawn out slow-motion futility race for Peter, no mystery about it. Boom!

The funeral didn't work for me at all. Part of it was the weird Norse (?) ceremony (why?), part of it was that I was still bothered by the niece's immediate rise in Fringe (going to a critical mission site when she doesn't even have a badge yet?)

Also: why is there still paper (the witness statements)?

Still and all -- I love the crazy. As long as *we* still get to see Peter next season, I'm in.

cjuniverse

cjuniverse

Couch Potato

Well at least we know who got the budget cut... That should help next season some. lol

bagert

bagert

Couch Potato

There were 12 terms used in the opening credits. Two of them were "water" and "hope". Any thoughts?

Money Magnet

Money Magnet

Fanatic

Posted May 6, 2011 @ 9:19 PM

Yeah, but do we KNOW that Joshua Jackson has NOT left the show?

Yes, we know in so far that the actors interviewed have said everyone will be back next season.

Come on, seriously! Do you honestly think they would continue the show with just the Walters and the Olivias??

And no, the season finale was not written with the intention of being the series finale.

Supposedly this episode was cut down from an original cut of 60 minutes - cut down to 40-odd minutes. Undoubtedly the explanation of Olivia's Viking funeral was part of that. I mean, I did have to laugh - "Olivia Dunham... has been voted off the Island..."

Edited by Money Magnet, May 6, 2011 @ 9:20 PM.

AimingforYoko

AimingforYoko

Stalker

Posted May 6, 2011 @ 9:19 PM

I figure he suffered a stroke?

It sure looked like it. At least he kept his mind.
What the hell did Walternate think he was going to do when he came over? Save his universe at the cost of ours? You'd think he would've taken some satisfaction of Walter in prison, though.

There There

There There

Video Archivist

Posted May 6, 2011 @ 9:21 PM

Um...I dunno! This show is and always has been completely insane, but this is the first time I've been honestly unsure as to whether I loved an episode or not. I thought it was a very cool premise and extremely well-executed (some of the words I caught in the opening credits included "Water" and "Hope") and the actors just completely blew me away. I was thrilled that they finally gave some really meaty stuff to JJ. I love Peter, but he's been underutilized all season. Or all series, really.

I'm still reeling a bit from the final scenes. I don't think it's as good a cliffhanger as past years, but it definitely made me "WTF?" and the summer sounds very long indeed. I hope it doesn't take episodes on end to resolve, because the chemistry of the show just doesn't work without Peter.

I do have two specific points:
(1) Brad Dourif was a non-entity in this episode. The character could have been played by anybody, not a great character actor. I must assume we'll see a lot more of him next year and this was just a tease.

(2) Seth Gabel was very sorely missed by me. I've grown to love and appreciate Lincoln so much as a character that every episode without him feels a little empty. He needs to be a regular next year. I'm confused about the absence of both Red and Blue Lincoln. Red is still babysitting Henry somewhere, I guess, and Blue should have been a Fringe agent in the future timeline. The character's complete absence was the one major flaw of the episode for me.

bagert

bagert

Couch Potato

Posted May 6, 2011 @ 9:21 PM

All 12 terms in the credits:

Cellular Rejuvenation
Thought Extraction
Cryptozoology
Neural Partitioning
Brain Porting
Temporal Plasticity
Dual Maternity
Chaos Structure
Clonal Transplantation
Water
Biosuspension
Hope

Money Magnet

Money Magnet

Fanatic

Posted May 6, 2011 @ 9:22 PM

I totally knew Walternate was a hologram... his hair was just too shiny. :-)

Astrid was rocking the new hairdo, yo.

As for how they could still know each other and not know Peter... well, the writers have got some 'splainin to do, and probably haven't told us everything. I eagerly await their explanations in... (checks watch) 19 weeks' time.

Edited by Money Magnet, May 6, 2011 @ 9:24 PM.

Pooch77

Pooch77

Channel Surfer

Posted May 6, 2011 @ 9:22 PM

Well, a cliffhanger with an explanation wouldn't really be a cliffhanger.

Alt-livia swapping places with Olivia at the end of Season 2 (and not showing us that it happened until right at the end) was a proper cliffhanger, because it made sense within the context of what was going on, as well as being a great "Holy shit!" moment.

This last-minute "event" wasn't anything like that, because it made no sense. It fits no context, and it wasn't ever hinted at (that he'd be erased from existence). They just smacked us upside the head with something that had no reasoning behind it, like if the Observers didn't just group up, but walked in with Happy Meals and sat everyone from both sides down together to make friends.

Steener

Steener

Couch Potato

Posted May 6, 2011 @ 9:23 PM

It's possible that wherever Peter went (future) Walter told him he needed to go. In the future scene, Peter starts to go back into the machie, but it's another 30 seconds or so before he comes out completely - presumably during that time he is still "talking" to Walter about how he needs to fix things.

I still don't get though what the catalyst for Walter starting the destruction of the universe will be with no Peter to try to cure. Unless it's just scientific hubris.

Temporal Plasticity

Indeed.

Edited by Steener, May 6, 2011 @ 9:25 PM.

LizJ

LizJ

Just Tuned In

Posted May 6, 2011 @ 9:24 PM

I guess there doesn't seem to be any reasoning behind it...for now.

I don't see how anyone would want to float this out there purely for shock value. Surely the folks at Bad Robot's Fringe Division Have A Plan.

Money Magnet

Money Magnet

Fanatic

Posted May 6, 2011 @ 9:25 PM

This last-minute "event" wasn't anything like that, because it made no sense. It fits no context, and it wasn't ever hinted at (that he'd be erased from existence). They just smacked us upside the head with something that had no reasoning behind it

But they did hint at it - when future-Walter was having his last conversation with future-Peter. Walter touched Peter's face as if he feared he would lose him, and hinted ominously at "consequences."

I still don't get though what the catalyst for Walter starting the destruction of the universe will be with no Peter to try to cure.

Indeed, that is the question I presume the writers will address. I don't think we're supposed to have the explanation yet about what has happened.

Edited by Money Magnet, May 6, 2011 @ 9:28 PM.

Ulkis

Ulkis

Stalker

Posted May 6, 2011 @ 9:26 PM

The Other Olivia just loved letting him know how badly he failed (and she was oddly calm in the face of what she believed was her eminent destruction).

Walternate is so god damn smug, I too probably would have been like, "oh, we're all gonna die? Well, at least you lost! Yes!"

Astrid was rocking the new hairdo, yo.

She was, but her season one hair, still the best. Future Olivia had great hair though. Why did Peter have to disappear before he could tell her to get a hair cut? :(

sp23

sp23

Fanatic

I keep waiting for Greg Grunberg to show up in Fringe Division!

Now that would tickle me no end. But not at the cost of no Peter. Come back, Peter, we love you!

Really, I liked the episode, but I didn't feel any great emotional shock when Walternate killed Olivia because I just knew that Peter-in-the-machine would fix things. What I did not expect was that ending. They've got to bring Peter back somehow, or the heart of the show will be missing.

Rickster

Rickster

Fanatic

The First Peoples explanation removed a big problem for me with this season. On the other hand Peter better come back ( if Olivia had died that would have been the end of Fringe for me).

What was up with Sen Broyles eye?

Why the Viking funeral for Olivia?

Wouldn't Olvia be on the old side to be having kids in 2026?

GDex86

GDex86

Couch Potato

Posted May 6, 2011 @ 9:28 PM

I'm sorry but nobody is discussing the most important fact. Astrids future hair is totally cute and makes her go from wobbie to sex bomb.

I do think that this show just managed to go from great to awesome. The two universes are now able to work together and I thought that the Walter's were about to just start a school yard brawl in the middle of the bridge office.

Still I'm not worried about Peter being gone for long. They did mention right before the jump back that they could use Olivia as a back up with the machine. The Olivia's might both notice something is gone and use both machines to bring Peter back. Still it will be really cool to see the changes that happen because Peter isn't there. With out him why did Walter Prime have a reason to push over to Walternate's universe? Why would Olivia have crossed over to pick someone up from alt verse? Who sprung Walter from St. Clair's when that plane when all skin fall off?

Ellie L

Ellie L

Channel Surfer

I'll bet Peter has been taken up into the realm of the Observers.

I like this theory. A lot. Presumably the universes are both in limbo until the two sides work things out between themselves, and once they've made a choice irrespective of Peter, a Peter will exist in a form that's appropriate to that universe. What form that Peter, or that universe might take, are unknown.

That was a wonderful cliffhanger to end the season on, and I cannot wait for season 4 to see where they take this premise.

marie81

marie81

Couch Potato

Also are we to assume that for however long Walter was in prison (15 yrs?) that he had no visitors?

I still don't get though what the catalyst for Walter starting the destruction of the universe will be with no Peter to try to cure

This is what I'm wondering. This is one of the reasons I hate time traveling and paradoxes.

But they did hint at it - when future-Walter was having his last conversation with future-Peter. Walter touched Peter's face as if he feared he would lose him, and hinted ominously at "consequences."

Hmm...that is a good way to view that interaction between them. That very well could have been a hint of what was to happen.

Maka

Maka

Stalker

Whoa, that was some amazing TV! I loved it.

John Noble's acting, again, was amazing. Future Walter's so burdened by his actions and decision making that he's slumped over, and he can't even raise his head to look people in the eye.

John Noble just really blows my mind, he's so talented and manages to break my heart and make me cry one moment - then make me want throttle him in frustration the next. Wow, he's so excellent. I cried when they revealed Walter had been in prison, unable to even see or talk to Peter, (or anyone, apparently), for years and year. Walter and Peter's hands on the glass reunion about killed me! And yeah, it looks like Walter had a stroke at some point, his whole right side was paralyzed. I can imagine the burden of guilt was just overwhelming for him. AND Then! On the other hand, he makes Walternate SO frickin' hateful and horrible and I want to kick him in the nuts.

So many things were blowing my mind this episode, I can't even process. The most important being - without Peter, none of this would have happened! Where did he goooooo?!

Hopefully our main Observer, who seems to have a soft spot for Walter and Peter, will interfere again and Bring Him Back at some point. But sheesh, that was quite the gotcha at the end!

Also are we to assume that for however long Walter was in prison (15 yrs?) that he had no visitors?

I got the impression Walter was under lifetime solitary confinement and wasn't allowed visitors. Or even allowed communication with people outside since he told Olivia congrats on the wedding for the first time. I imagine he's not even allowed letters or phone calls, as part of his sentence. It's part of what broke my heart for him.

Edited by Maka, May 6, 2011 @ 9:33 PM.