Singouts: Reminding America Why They Didn't Vote For You

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

13 replies to this topic

pk124

pk124

Fanatic

Posted May 2, 2011 @ 5:16 PM

So I searched the forum and couldn't find a thread about this (although there's one about almost everything else.)

Casey definitely left with a bang this week and had me trying to remember who else had the most memorable singouts in AI history.

Allison Iraheta's "Cry Baby" from Season 8 definitely comes to mind. It was the first time I actually felt the need to buy a studio recording. LaToya London's "Don't Rain On My Parade" was pretty amazing too

"United We Stand" by Carrie, Bo, and Vonzell from Season 4 still gives me chills. Carrie and Bo stepped back and let Vonzell have her moment in a sort of unrehearsed way. Gina Glocksen's "Smile" from Season 6 was all about the lyrics, and it turned into a more emotional performance than it would have otherwise been.

In the "so bad it's good" category, Sarah Mather's "Get Ready" in Season 4 wins easily, with her 'standing still on stage while giving death stares to the camera' performance.

Oh, and America Don't Care For Jazz.

It's always sad when a contestant's memorable moment comes from their elimination.

ETA: How could I have forgotten Phil Stacey literally going down in a "Blaze of Glory"? Sometimes the song makes the singout.

Edited by pk124, May 3, 2011 @ 2:15 PM.

maiana

maiana

Video Archivist

Posted May 2, 2011 @ 7:06 PM

You picked some good ones! I'll never forget the thread title for Sarah Mather, which is based on that sing out.

Loved Leslie Hunt, and floved Allison and loved her sing out, which felt more like a triumph than a loss.

siddalee

siddalee

Couch Potato

Posted May 2, 2011 @ 8:43 PM

In the memorable-for-the-emotion category:

Alaina Whitaker

and

Ayla Brown, although I couldn't find a clip. When she said "I never cry" you knew she really, really didn't - which robotness, as a matter of fact, was what got her eliminated earlier than her voice should have merited.

Kat Schwartz

Kat Schwartz

Couch Potato

Posted May 3, 2011 @ 11:40 AM

Sarah Mather is probably my favorite all-time bad singout. A close second has to be Haeley Vaughn. Haeley's singing is far worse, but she doesn't give the death glare.

Haeley Vaughn

Bastille

Bastille

Fanatic

Posted May 3, 2011 @ 1:15 PM

Haeley Vaughn's was my first thought too. Such a painful-to-watch/hear meltdown that it almost erased memories of Brooke White's.

slew

slew

Channel Surfer

Posted May 4, 2011 @ 12:14 AM

There's a difference between singing when one is already eliminated and singing for the judges' save. If the judges' save is still in effect, singers will be more serious and focused on the task at hand. Some of the final singouts in previous seasons were bad since it was the end of the road for them and they were just emotionally overwhelmed.

Casey sang wildly during his final singout since that was his second elimination and it was his time to go anyway, there was no pressure anymore. His unforgettable growlus interruptus singout earlier in the season began somewhat more earnestly.

Yes I am a

Yes I am a

Couch Potato

Posted May 6, 2011 @ 8:25 AM

Sometimes the song makes the singout.

As it did in Season 2 with Charles Grigsby who left with "You Can't Win" from 'the Wiz'.

Make It So

Make It So

Stalker

Posted May 9, 2011 @ 7:01 PM

Ooh - good one! Can't believe this has never been addressed before.

I agree with the thought about the emotion level affecting the performance. That said, some of my favorite singouts have involved contestants who either did experience emotion and simply channeled it into an awesome performance, or those who totally pushed their emotion to the side and used that performance to leave it all on the stage (in a good way).

So, the performances that stand out in my mind as faves (strictly from memory - without having to look anything up) are:

1. "Inseparable", by Kimberley Locke (Season 2). She had arisen from a season of mixed judges' criticism that ranged from outright bashing to faint praise to actual praise - to make it to the be the last girl standing and a legitimate threat to the Ruben/Clay juggernaut, with a very close vote to those guys. She had chosen "Inseparable" as her final of three songs that week - and had nailed it on performance night. Upon being inevitably voted out the next night, she took the vote as a great sport. Then sang the dickens out of that song. She had some emotion - I still remember the tear she had in her eye as she appeared to glance at her buddies Ruben and Clay during the song - almost as if she was really singing it to them. Yet she used the emotion to create one of the best sing-outs ever, imho.

2. "Don't Rain On My Parade", by LaToya London (Season 3). She was an apparent front-runner that season, and possibly fell victim to the Golden Tears of one of the other contestants the previous night and was voted out in fourth place. Yet she took the vote in stride, and blew that song out of the water in a "So there!" type of way. One of the greats.

Those are the only two that quickly jump to mind, although I'm sure that there are many others that were great. An honorable mention goes to Jennifer Hudson's "Weekend in New England" - because she's just awesome anyway.

Edited by Make It So, May 9, 2011 @ 7:08 PM.

siddalee

siddalee

Couch Potato

Posted May 9, 2011 @ 9:14 PM

Another "category" of singout is "better than the performance the night before". The one that sticks in my mind in that category is Connie's "How You Remind Me" - plus this one was memorable for Pauler's tears, this being the first time his Mom had been there, YMMV but to me one of the classiest "shock" boots ever, Pauler going over and comforting Ms. Maroulis. I just loved this singout.

Bastille

Bastille

Fanatic

Posted May 10, 2011 @ 11:45 AM

A subcategory of that, sticking out in my mind, is "More or less identical to the night before, perhaps a little rawer owing to emotions, eliciting a patronizing and insincere comment like 'If you had sung like that last night, you'd still be here!' or 'Why didn't we see this from you?' from one of the judges."

Spy Idol

Spy Idol

Couch Potato

• Interests:All things TV.

Posted May 20, 2011 @ 3:09 PM

Haley's singout last night is one of my new favorites. No tears, just rocking it all the way out the door.

siddalee

siddalee

Couch Potato

Posted May 20, 2011 @ 3:23 PM

I agree it was a great singout. My favorite part was how she timed it perfectly to sing the line "oh, they're weird and they're wonderful" to Steven - particularly from Haley's perspective that's a pretty apt description. (not so much on the wonderful for me but since he was the only one to defend her, I would think she feels that way)

leighcrawl

leighcrawl

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 22, 2011 @ 10:49 AM

I always enjoy more of the celebration singouts. And I seem to have a checklist: go to the judges, go into the audience, and most importantly jam out with the other contestants. For the most part (ever since the save ended), they have been enjoyable and joyous singouts, particularly Casey, Jacob, and Haley. Those singouts are three of my favorites, possibly ever.

Before this year, my favorite (and most memorable for me) has been Vonzell's singout from season 4. It was just so celebratory, and she slayed it.

tested tough

tested tough

Channel Surfer

Posted May 22, 2011 @ 9:47 PM

My all-time favorite IDOL Melinda Doolittle diffused a major "jump the shark" moment by delivering a typically stellar performance of "I'm A Woman". Blake (the indirect target of the crowd's hostility) very sweetly presented Melinda with his bouquet of flowers. For her part, Melinda, constantly thinking of others, paid homage to her background vocalists by giving the flowers to them.

The stunned crowd booed her elimination lustily, and appeared almost ready to riot. However, her brilliantly brave singout and cheerful attitude almost single-handedly kept the IDOL wheels from falling off the bus that night. In the days that followed her shocking elimination, many people vowed to never watch IDOL again, but she seemed to change hearts and minds by calmly taking it all in stride. She defended the show in interviews at every turn, strongly encouraging the fans to continue supporting IDOL - the very same show that kicked her in the teeth.