Peter and Olivia: Don’t Say I Never Took You Anywhere

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

58 replies to this topic

Isidore

Isidore

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 9, 2011 @ 5:17 PM

It's going to be fun to see the journey all over again. Wonder if this Olivia likes her coffiee black, one sugar?

It seems Old Olivia didn´t eat and Amberlivia doesn´t drink. LOL At least she doesn´t drink alcohol. Probably it was a no-no in Nina´s house. Do you think Peter will be disappointed about that too?

DixieGirl

DixieGirl

Fanatic

Posted Nov 9, 2011 @ 8:03 PM

Noooo! Do we know that for sure?

book232

book232

Channel Surfer

Posted Nov 10, 2011 @ 2:24 AM

I don't think we've seen Olivia outside of work yet this season, have we? Except for that scene in 'Subject 9' where she wakes up in the morning. So we don't know for sure that she doesn't still love her whiskey. I really hope this is something that hasn't changed though.

Trini Girl

Trini Girl

Stalker

• Interests:http://www.biblegateway.com/

Posted Nov 10, 2011 @ 1:16 PM

It's going to be fun to see the journey all over again.

Fun? Eh, more like excruciating. Interesting, perhaps, but still excruciating. I hate going back to square one.

yvettehacke

yvettehacke

Loyal Viewer

Posted Nov 23, 2011 @ 2:25 PM

I thought this was a nice/reassuring quote from Joel:

“We’ve said before, a great love story has many turns in the road. A love story that’s worth watching has a lot of obstacles and half the fun is watching people overcome obstacles — at least in our opinion of what makes a really good and satisfying love story. I think that everybody understands that Peter and Olivia are kind of destined, fated”

book232

book232

Channel Surfer

Posted Nov 24, 2011 @ 11:43 AM

Y'know, I'm not at all worried about Peter and Olivia. Wyman and Pinkner have said multiple times that they belong together, so I'm sure they will be together in the end. And I don't mind a few more obstacles, even if they will be heartbreaking. That makes for an interesting story and gives Anna and Josh some good stuff to work with.

agora

agora

Fanatic

Posted Nov 25, 2011 @ 10:12 PM

“We’ve said before, a great love story has many turns in the road. A love story that’s worth watching has a lot of obstacles and half the fun is watching people overcome obstacles — at least in our opinion of what makes a really good and satisfying love story. I think that everybody understands that Peter and Olivia are kind of destined, fated”

I agree, no matter what happens they always seem to find their way back to each other, I don't see any reason for it to be different only because the Universe itself is the one trying to keep them apart.

Money Magnet

Money Magnet

Fanatic

Posted Jan 25, 2012 @ 9:17 PM

HELLO... Is this thing on?

Anyhow, I just had a thought today about looking at Season 4 from a different direction. Imagine this was a different show, we never saw any Season 1-3, and suddenly we get this new story arc where Olivia has to deal with a handsome stranger from another timeline who says he's her lover in his own timeline...

That could be a pretty cool romance. :-)

yvettehacke

yvettehacke

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jan 26, 2012 @ 3:10 PM

Agreed. I certainly would have no problem with a guy like that telling me those things....;)

I do wonder what's going to happen with them, since it seems to be the case that, if both Olivia and Altlivia can fall for him then shouldn't this one have a hard time resisting too? :)

Money Magnet

Money Magnet

Fanatic

Posted Feb 18, 2012 @ 9:18 AM

I never thought I'd say this, but... I... I think... I think I'm ready for them to have babies now.

yvettehacke

yvettehacke

Loyal Viewer

Posted Feb 18, 2012 @ 9:03 PM

Okay, so since you went there Money Magnet (and since I can't resist baby talk) I have a question....

If they did have a baby, whenever that is, would that baby be genetically the same as Henry? I think this has been discussed somewhere before but I'm thinking...if Henry wasn't blinked out of existence like his daddy then we'd eventually have two henry's right? With a slight age gap. That obviously applies to everyone on the show who has a doppelgänger too.

Mostly I'm just curious to see if a red parent blue parent baby would actually work :P

calguy2009

calguy2009

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 18, 2012 @ 10:28 PM

Hee Hee Money Magnet has jumped on the "baby stroller bandwagon".

GreenPhoenix

GreenPhoenix

Fanatic

Posted Feb 18, 2012 @ 11:20 PM

If they did have a baby, whenever that is, would that baby be genetically the same as Henry?

The child couldn't be genetically identical to Henry, the child would be Henry's genetic sibling.

anatolealice

anatolealice

Fanatic

Posted Feb 19, 2012 @ 9:35 PM

but I'm thinking...if Henry wasn't blinked out of existence like his daddy then we'd eventually have two henry's right? With a slight age gap. That obviously applies to everyone on the show who has a doppelgänger too.

That always confuses me. A person's alt isn't born on the same day as them necessarily, are they? They never talk dates of birth, it's just 'whoa, we're identical'.

jophan

jophan

Fanatic

• Interests:needlework, science fiction, mysteries

Posted Feb 20, 2012 @ 9:33 AM

Olivia and Altlivia had different birthdates (on props), but TPTB said it was a calendar difference. Doubles are supposed to be the same age.

prodigalchicken

prodigalchicken

Fanatic

• Interests:Right now. . .it's all Fringe all the time.

Posted Feb 24, 2012 @ 10:51 PM

So, Peter and Olivia. . .quite literally destined for each other according to September :)

Yazimariel

Yazimariel

Loyal Viewer

Posted Feb 29, 2012 @ 11:40 AM

Ugh, my heart was breaking when Olivia stuttered her love for Peter. I don't know if I can handle all of this.

My gripe with Olivia and Peter belonging together: great. I love it. I know that at the end of the show, something will be done/fixed so that they walk off into the sunset.

But I don't want them to walk off into the sunset! I want to see them happy! It's kinda like Mulder and Scully - I know they tried to keep them from Moonlighting by keeping them together off-screen, but I love seeing a happy Olivia smile at Peter, and have Peter smile back and come up with traditions and fun things to do together. I want to get to see Peter rubbing Olivia's full belly and all the happy cliches about couples that are expecting.

Not to make this a whiny post: I think that Peter is letting himself be influenced incorrectly, that this is his Olivia. He needs to just accept it.

NorthangerAbby

NorthangerAbby

Channel Surfer

Posted Jan 16, 2013 @ 1:56 PM

I know I'm very late to this party, but I finally got the courage to delurk. Can I ask the moment when people first fell in love with Peter and Olivia? And now that we're near the end, what were some of your favorite Peter and Olivia moments?

Peter and Olivia are actually the only TV couple I've ever really cared about, at least to this degree. They are also the only couple I've ever read fanfic about. (And to the fanfic writers who read this thread, you are all brilliant. Seriously.)

hey crazy

hey crazy

Channel Surfer

Posted Jan 16, 2013 @ 10:56 PM

I started watching by marathoning the first two seasons in a very short amount of time. I don't know if I was too wrapped up in the drama of the show and wanting to get to the bottom of its mysteries, but I thought the writers weren't going to touch that 'ship with a ten foot pole--or if they did, it would be much later into the show's run. Like, at the end. So I was pretty shocked when he went in for a kiss in Jacksonville but was "aww"-ing and "oh no"-ing by the end of the episode, when she saw him glimmer before their date. But it was their little talk about the near-kiss two episodes later, when he rationalized her avoiding him in the only way that made sense to him, and her letting him think that because it was easier than telling him the truth, that just killed me, because it felt true-to-life in a show that can be very out there.

On rewatch, though, I have to say I think he's completely smitten with her from mid season-one onwards, and his brief flirtation with Rachel got her attention, even if it took her awhile to get past her intimacy issues. Still not sure how I missed all that the first time. Oh well.

CurveOfTime

CurveOfTime

Channel Surfer

Posted Jan 17, 2013 @ 8:04 AM

Having also marathoned the first 4 seasons in a very short time, I have to say that I saw it from early on, but was probably helped by the fact that I was lurking in threads that were completing spoiling me for the future.

It was What Lies Below when Olivia realizes that Peter's been infected with the virus that really got me going though. That's when I realized that I thought maybe they might go there, and I sure hoped they would (and if they didn't, I would just have to resort to fanfic, some of which is brilliant).

Rewatching season 1 recently (I started the marathon halfway through season 1 having watched the first half back in 2010), I saw a relationship building between the two from the beginning, even if it was not romantic at that time and it was nice to see that.

DixieGirl

DixieGirl

Fanatic

Posted Jan 17, 2013 @ 1:11 PM

I think most people agree that "What Lies Below" is the first time that Olivia admits to herself that she cares about Peter, but to me, there was definitely something between them much earlier, even if she didn't admit it or acknowledge it as any more than friendship - which, for Olivia, was a huge first step anyway.

As far as Peter.... I think he was intrigued by her as soon as he realized she had conned the con man (Wasn't that in Pilot?). He seems a little more than platonically interested at the end of The Cure (1.06) - the look on his face when he leans out the door of their hotel to watch her walk away is not "I just want to be friends". But by the end of S1/start of S2, he's definitely emotionally invested - the opening scenes in New Day in the Old Town convinced me.

Not that I've thought about any of this at all....

hey crazy

hey crazy

Channel Surfer

Posted Jan 17, 2013 @ 2:21 PM

I love the scene in the episode with the cold virus slugs, when Olivia walks out of the lab and Walter catches Peter watching her longingly. He makes a comment like, "isn't she beautiful? ...I meant the slug," and then smirks to himself. Is that also the one where Olivia is abducted and Walter is insisting that Peter was more worried about her than anyone else? Walter Bishop, shipping Polivia since 1985!

NorthangerAbby

NorthangerAbby

Channel Surfer

Posted Jan 17, 2013 @ 3:05 PM

It's so much fun to read how others perceive my favorite couple. I actually saw something there from the very beginning, and I usually don't notice or care much about romantic relationships at all. I guess I just saw such a strong connection, one that was deepened as they shared more experiences and developed more of a trust but which existed from the very beginning. Just a getting each other, similar wavelength type of understanding and level of comfort. Usually we're just told that characters connect without me really feeling it, but with them I just sensed it immediately. I can see how for some people that connection wasn't a romantic one, but I felt like even from the beginning of the series it was...pre-love. I wish I could put it better, but I'm not a writer like many on this forum!

Edited by NorthangerAbby, Jan 17, 2013 @ 3:06 PM.

CheerAngel

CheerAngel

Fanatic

Posted Jan 17, 2013 @ 4:22 PM

The first time I really saw "romance" as a genuine possibility was "New Day in an Old Town" because of how devastated Peter was, plus the last scene between them when he brings her the flowers, and the sunlight from the window was making her literally glow (plus I'm pretty sure she was actually smiling).

And the writers get serious points for avoiding typical emotional "false starts" in their relationship. Lots of the traditional ones happened (the almost kiss, the dream story, the emotional plea) but none were "taken back". For God's sake, they actually TALKED about the almost kiss in Jacksonville. "Over There pt 2" is actually the biggest one for me- an emotional appeal like that most UST-y couples would later play off as being about them being "best friends" or "true partners". Bonus, that their first kiss there? Was completely unhyped and unspoiled (and our spoiler thread was so short then!)

calguy2009

calguy2009

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 20, 2013 @ 5:34 AM

I saw it when Peter phoned Olivia in "Unleashed" and she kind of perked up when she knew it wasn't a work related call, and then she kind of deflated when Peter asked to talk to Rachel. But there were plenty of small moments planted throughout the first season.

Coco27

Coco27

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 20, 2013 @ 2:51 PM

For God's sake, they actually TALKED about the almost kiss in Jacksonville.

For me that was the moment Fringe separated itself from the other shows i was watching in term of romance. There was something so grown-up, so mature about this conversation, to this day it is still one of my favorite moment in the show and the one that made me think "this is a relationship that will last".

Edited by Coco27, Jan 20, 2013 @ 2:51 PM.

Jodhaa

Jodhaa

Fanatic

Posted Jan 20, 2013 @ 7:53 PM

Reading all these comments makes me want to go back and rewatch everything right now. I'm so happy they got their happy ending. I remember during S3 I had serious worries if that was ever going to happen. I almost wanted to stop watching because I didn't want to deal with them not ending up together.

roguetamlin

roguetamlin

Fanatic

Posted Feb 25, 2013 @ 8:53 AM

I just got caught up this weekend after blowing through the series in less than a year so I'm finally able to come here and post and it's not a coincidence that this is the first thread I'm posting in. Peter and Olivia are one of my all time favorite couples because it was organic, believable and because they act like an actual couple. Their problems were never about should they be together, but how do they be together in a work environment with various complications that are generally not covered in most advice columns. I love that the end was them just being a normal family.

jipijapa

jipijapa

Fanatic

Posted Feb 26, 2013 @ 10:10 PM

Very well put.

I was bored with the idea of putting them together at first since it seemed so obvious, but Season 3, where their budding romance was all but strangled in the cradle with the Fauxlivia affair, was something you truly wouldn't have seen on any other show.