Thor

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

86 replies to this topic

TWoP Dietrich

TWoP Dietrich

Fanatic

Posted Apr 29, 2011 @ 9:12 PM

Giant hammer!

If you've seen it, go ahead and talk about it without spoiler tags. If you haven't seen it, read the previous sentence and beware.

FoolishWanderer

FoolishWanderer

Fanatic

Posted Apr 29, 2011 @ 9:18 PM

Good, but not great. Pointless 3D. Bland music, turning horrible in the credits. And that's coming from a fan of both vikings and the Thor comics. Asgard looked good, though.

print_whore

print_whore

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 29, 2011 @ 11:36 PM

The best part of the whole thing was Jeremy Renner's little cameo. Thor's supporting cast of heroes wasn't a great touch either, it was a little bit Power Rangers. Idris Elba and Tom Hiddleston were for me the best parts of the whole thing.

Natalie Portman was ok as the female romantic interest but I didn't really get the whole epic starcrossed love vibe that they were going for. Of course, she's Natalie Portman and he's a buff, hot Norse god but the whole love at first sight thing just did not work.

snowcrash

snowcrash

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 30, 2011 @ 1:58 PM

Putting it in the good side of adaptations.

Heimdall was a lot better developed then I thought he would be. Really liked Sif & the actress who played her, especially where it more or less was clear that The Warriors Three were her sidekicks.

The Odin & the Foster characters were sadly underdeveloped, especially considering the calibre of the actors.

As to the mains... Hemsworth was clearly loving the whole Thor bit, & Loki was *great*. Loki is after all, a Trickster, & it really came through with the plotting & infinite backstabbing that he was doing.

Azure Owl

Azure Owl

Couch Potato

Posted May 1, 2011 @ 12:36 AM

I was gladly surprised by the fact that after Loki found out about his parentage he still was on Asgard’s side. On his own way, of course.

And finally this movie just confirmed it that every single person S.H.I.E.L.D. hires defaults to sarcasm.

print_whore

print_whore

Couch Potato

Posted May 3, 2011 @ 9:27 AM

I was doing some research on this and then I found out that Charlie Hunnam was actually up for this role at one point which I find AMAZING. He would have been my dream Thor but I guess there were scheduling issues with Sons of Anarchy and Marvel wouldn't have been too keen to cast the original Nathan from Queer as Folk/Lloyd from Undeclared as their Norse god.

morakot

morakot

Fanatic

Posted May 4, 2011 @ 1:35 AM

I saw this tonight and I really enjoyed it. However, I was a little disturbed by the fact that everyone would ride their horses all the way along the rainbow bridge and then just leave them there while they zoomed off to other worlds. How did the horses get home?

Calliope

Calliope

Fanatic

Posted May 5, 2011 @ 1:21 AM

Just got back from a screening, and I also really enjoyed it. It had a bit of cheese, but I've been a fan of Kenneth Branaugh for a long time, and I think he did a good job. I thought Chris Hemsworth was really charming and a better Thor than I thought he would be. He had the arrogance down. Both CH and KB were at my screening and they spoke a bit about using the St. Crispen's Day speech to hone that.

Tom Hiddleston was great as Loki; can't wait to see him again. And Hawkeye. Mmmm...I love me some Renner. Just enough to make me curious. I also like Idris Elba though his role was small.

There were a few things that didn't work. Thor's buddies in New Mexico did look like some lost Comic-Con attendees, but maybe that was the point. That closing song over the credits, though, gets no love. That was horrible and didn't fit the movie at all.

Overall, it was a good entry building up to The Avengers, and I look forward to seeing what Thor does next.

purplebubbles

purplebubbles

Couch Potato

Posted May 5, 2011 @ 4:55 PM

I watched it yesterday evening. I LOVED it. Easily my favourite movie of the year so far. Of course, I'm a huge Marvel fan and comic book geek, and I went in with very high expectations - I wasn't let down. Chris Hemsworth was very good as Thor, as was the rest of the entire cast. They meshed very well together, from the impressive Anthony Hopkins as Odin to the quirky and endearing Kat Dennings as Darcy.

I do have to say however that Tom Hiddleston stole the show as Loki. He's clearly a very talented actor, and I will definitely be keeping an eye out for any work he does in the future. I thought Loki was one of the best villains I have seen in a long time - well developed to the point where you actually want to sympathise with him without rooting for him.

Jeremy Renner's cameo was brilliant. He's going to make a perfect Hawkeye. Great casting right there. Marvel has done a wonderful job in that respect so far, I haven't been disappointed yet. Well, apart from ScarJo as Black Widow, but knowing that Emily Blunt was their first choice, I'll give them a pass for that.

That closing song over the credits, though, gets no love. That was horrible and didn't fit the movie at all.

I liked it! I don't know, something about it worked for me. It was the same song that was playing during the bar scene between Selvig and Thor. The entire movie was all about two worlds colliding so them using a contemporary song didn't bother me. Kevin Feige and Branagh actually picked it themselves because they thought the lyrics were fitting:

“It was literally one of those things that came together in a matter of weeks, and if you asked two months ago if we would have a Foo Fighters song in this movie, I would have said I don’t think so,” Feige said. “But we heard the song and it just has these eerie appropriate lyrics and themes. The song wasn’t written for the movie, obviously, it’s on their new album, but we almost couldn’t believe it when we heard it. Ken in particular just loved it with these lyrics about learning to walk again and the way that fit the themes of the movie about redemption, learning to be a hero. The song starts off talking about being a million miles away from home and yearning and being separated by vast distances, and it’s no secret that Thor and Natalie’s character are from different worlds.”

http://herocomplex.l...th-marvel-film/

I hope they revisit the character of Thor in sequels and I'm so damn excited for the Avengers next year.

Lantern7

Lantern7

Stalker

Posted May 6, 2011 @ 1:48 PM

Good movie. I can nitpick the hell out of altering comic canon bits (Loki not knowing he was born a Frost Giant until now, for instance), question how two of the Norse characters weren't played by white people (I swear, I'm not outraged, I'm just a wee bit puzzled), and roll my eyes over The Obligatory Hawkeye Appearance Where He Ends Up Not Firing An Arrow. And the after-credits bit . . . well . . . bit. Really, I'm waiting five minutes through the credits, and the guy behind won't won't STFU, and that's all I get? Something with Samuel L. Jackson and a briefcase that isn't inheritely awesome? Damn. How about Loki waking up, thinking he's in Frost Giant Land (which has a name, but I'm not looking it up), only he's in the Artic, and there's a familar figure trapped in the ice? Wouldn't even need a whole shot . . . just a glove.

On the upside, Hemsworth (whom I've never heard of until now) was great as Thor, Natalie Portman was good as (a non-quite-canon) Jane Foster, and I'm impressed she didn't get the role mixed up with the other 60-100 she's been playing in the past year. and there's something satisfying about hearing the metallic "THUNK" of Mjolnir (which I had to look up and have forgotten to pronounce) hitting something hard. Good mix of humor and action, and kept under two hours, which is a friggin' Asgard-esque miracle. And I bitched about the credits, but there's something cool about seeing talent as Oliver Copiel and Walt & Louise Simonson getting credit for their takes on Thor.

Edited by Lantern7, May 6, 2011 @ 1:49 PM.

FoolishWanderer

FoolishWanderer

Fanatic

Posted May 6, 2011 @ 5:07 PM

For the multiethnic gods, that was in the comics too, though there it was only Hogun. It's the Marvel Universe, I just shrug and move on. I'd be irritated if it were based on real Norse Mythology, where Thor is a redhead, Sif is blonde, and helmets aren't ludicrous.

As for Frost Giant Land, it's Jotunheim, pronounced with a Y sound.

Limbonaut

Limbonaut

Stalker

Posted May 6, 2011 @ 8:06 PM

I'm waiting five minutes through the credits, and the guy behind won't won't STFU, and that's all I get? Something with Samuel L. Jackson and a briefcase that isn't inheritely awesome? Damn.

Well if you're a familiar with the Cosmic Cube which is part of Captain America and the Red Skull's history then yeah it is. Jeremy Renner as Hawkeye didn't have much to say or even shoot an arrow but I liked him. I liked his snarking back to Coulson. "Send any more people to get beaten up"" "I'm starting to root for this guy." Looking forward to him in the next movie.

I thought the movie was great. Asgard(looking amazing), Odin, Thor and Loki's dynamic, the Warriors Three and Sif, Heimdall and all the stuff on Earth with Jane and her colleagues were done well. I really loved the battle against the Frost Giants.

I saw it in 3D but I want to see it regular because I'm sure Asgard will look even better in 2D with the screen brighter.

Edited by Limbonaut, May 6, 2011 @ 8:08 PM.

Lantern7

Lantern7

Stalker

Posted May 6, 2011 @ 8:22 PM

Oh, that was a Cosmic Cube? To me, it didn't seem clear on the screen All I really saw was floating electricity above water. The "unlimited source of energy" mention didn't make it that clear that it could be a Cosmic Cube. Then Loki pops up in the mirror, mind-whammies the old guy, and we fade to the Marvel logo. Honestly, it went over my head. Thanks, Limbonaut.

Limbonaut

Limbonaut

Stalker

Posted May 7, 2011 @ 12:09 AM

How did you miss the glowing white cube? It was right in the middle of the suitcase. Here's the clip

Edited by Limbonaut, May 7, 2011 @ 1:50 AM.

benteen

benteen

Stalker

Posted May 7, 2011 @ 12:27 AM

Just got back from it and I have to say I really enjoyed it. It was a fun movie with a lot of action and Asgard provides a large canvas. Definitely wipes the bad taste of Iron Man 2 out of my mouth.

I thought the acting of the main four was excellent. Even though it was just an act, I thought the Hiddleston managed to make Loki a sympathetic character. The Loki/Thor/Odin interaction is strong and convincingly emotional. Hemsworth has an impressive physical presence for Thor and was funny without being stupid. Although his banishment doesn't last long, I bought Thor's change. Anthony Hopkins was excellent and managed to not chew too much scenary. Did not know that was Rene Russo as Thor's mom until I read the credits. I liked the Warriors Three although I agree they could have given Ray Stevenson a much bigger fatsuit. That character is supposed to be REALLY fat.

Although I liked the Marvel Universe references in Iron Man 2, I think Thor did a better job of working them in here. Although it didn't have to be in there, I liked Hawkeye's cameo. Nice inside jokes with Donald Blake and Stan Lee's cameo. I found the idea of guys getting drunk and having barbacues while trying to lift Thor's hammer to be hysterical because I imagine that's just what guys would be trying to do.

All and all, a very good start to the summer movie season.

Issues...I thought the final battle scene was a little underwhelming. I thought that it needed something a little more epic I guess. Thor quickly wins his fight on Earth and then it's the fight against Loki. Just thought it needed to be more grand to fit the story and setting. I also agree with an earlier poster who said that a lot of story elements here are resolved too easily.

Ah, I forgot to talk about the 3D. If I had a choice, I wouldn't have seen it in 3D. Not only is it expensive but the studios desire to cash in on the "craze" has caused some lousy conversions from 2D to 3D. The 3D in Thor had its moments and was a lot better 3D than it was in Tron Legacy and The Green Hornet. But if you're going to do a 3D movie, then SHOOT THE DAMN MOVIE IN 3D!!! I'm very worried about having to get stuck watching the last Harry Potter in 3D.

Eruantien

Eruantien

Video Archivist

Posted May 7, 2011 @ 1:15 AM

Watched it this afternoon and loved it. I was afraid it would be ridiculous, but it was actually both a decent fantasy and superhero movie.

Tom Hiddleston's Loki was easily the best villain we've seen in the Marvel Studios movies. Natalie Portman was actually pretty good, but I preferred Darcy. Mainly because I've got a thing for snarky women. Sif desperately needed more development besides RAWR! I is EMPOWERED WOMAN!, but was nice to look at while beating things in the face. The Warriors Three were fun, but again needed more development. LOVED! Heimdall. Seriously, the idiots who were bitching about a black Heimdall need to get over themselves. I'd watch a Heimdall movie if he got to do more than just stand at the end of Bifrost. Anthony Hopkins was great, but is that really a surprise? The character of Eric seemed a bit pointless, but the revelation that he is Loki's meat puppet was quite the twist. Chris Hemsworth was surprisingly really good in this. And that shirtless scene was worth price of admission. *fans self*

I guess I missed seeing the Infinity Gauntlet in the film. I remember seeing pictures of it, but didn't spot it in the film. Did spy the Eye of Agomotto in the arsenal in Asgard. I wonder how they got it from Doctor Strange? Interesting seeing the Cosmic Cube at the end. Does that mean that's the focus of the Avengers movie?

I was surprised by just how rich and gorgeous Asgard looked. I want a summer home there.

Edited by Eruantien, May 7, 2011 @ 1:18 AM.

Limbonaut

Limbonaut

Stalker

Posted May 7, 2011 @ 1:53 AM

I didn't see the Infinity Gauntlet either

I liked when the Warriors Three and Sif arrived on Earth and started getting looks from the locals. Then the SHIELD agent says into his walkie talkie "Xena, Jackie Chan and Robin Hood heading west."

I think there was a subplot with Darcy and Fandrall because he touches her saying goodbye before they leave.

notwisconsin

notwisconsin

Couch Potato

Posted May 7, 2011 @ 10:23 AM

Idiot plotting. Other than that, it was done really well.

samsnee

samsnee

Stalker

Posted May 7, 2011 @ 10:42 AM

It was entertaining, not great. I think I had more fun at Iron Man just because RDJ is such fun to watch. Hemsworth did a great job though, and even though the whole banishment thing did feel rushed (it happened over a weekend basically), I thought he conveyed his emotions well. From the opening cockiness (tossing the hammer while walking, winking at his mom) to his look of sacrifice when confronting the Destroyer, he definitely has a lot of charisma.

But besides the acting, which was well-done all around, everything else felt predictable and truncated. I think I could have watched a whole movie set in Asgard, or a whole movie on Earth, but trying to do both cheapened it. And while there was chemistry between Jane and Thor, I just couldn't believe that they would have fallen in love over just 1 day.

Edited by samsnee, May 7, 2011 @ 10:42 AM.

bluvelvet

bluvelvet

Fanatic

Posted May 7, 2011 @ 11:45 AM

I really enjoyed it overall, although I am not very familiar with the Thor universes I had to wiki a few things when I got home. Solid movie and good start to the Summer movie season.

Loki was a great character,I know he is a villain but I was very sympathetic towards him. Especially when he found out he was a frost giant. It was like finding out YOU are the bogeyman when you grew up hearing all your life how scary the bogeyman was. At the end I wanted him forgiven and taken back in the fold.

A question I had was, why did Loki look human and then change when he touched that frost giant. How come he wasn't always blue and shiny, was it magic?

I actually thought the transition of Thor from arrogant know it all to flawed human was done very well. Having the change really occur after he was unable to pick up his hammer was perfect.

Loved Idris as Hiemdall.

Edited by bluvelvet, May 7, 2011 @ 11:46 AM.

childeroland

childeroland

Channel Surfer

Posted May 7, 2011 @ 3:22 PM

I think Loki just changed when Odin first picked him up--Odin transformed him somehow, maybe to prevent Loki from knowing the truth.

benteen

benteen

Stalker

Posted May 7, 2011 @ 4:05 PM

But besides the acting, which was well-done all around, everything else felt predictable and truncated.

Yeah, things are resolved quickly and there isn't even a body count. It's like the way movies used to be a long time ago. But it was still a good movie nontheless.

Thor's banishment was quick, I did feel he convincingly transformed by the end.

Shadow Walker

Shadow Walker

Video Archivist

Posted May 7, 2011 @ 6:38 PM

I saw this last night. I agree with everyone about the 3D. That was a waste. I may check it out in 2D. I thought the action and fight scene's were good. Asgard looked great. It had some real funny parts as well. I liked how they said in the credits that Thor would return in The Avengers. They also gave us each a free Thor comic which was cool. Did anyone else have that happpen?

Tom Hiddleston did a good job as Loki. Hemsworth was better then I thought he would be. Like others I enjoyed the cameo of Jeremy Renner as Hawkeye.

I understand Portman's Jane getting a little weak in the knee's but the relationship between her and Thor happened to fast. It felt more like a crush then love.

I felt the real turning point for Thor was when he couldnt remove his Hammer and finding out his father was dead. Then he started to realize he needed to change.

Edited by Shadow Walker, May 7, 2011 @ 6:40 PM.

AimingforYoko

AimingforYoko

Stalker

Posted May 7, 2011 @ 6:54 PM

In agreement with most of the sentiment, I liked Loki, he was very Iago-like. (An allusion I'm sure was intentional by Branagh).
My favorite part was when Thor was fighting Loki, instead of smashing him with Mjolnir, he just laid it on him. Brain, not just brawn.

Lantern7

Lantern7

Stalker

Posted May 7, 2011 @ 7:25 PM

That was cool. In one story, Thor got so pissed off at Loki, he threw Mjolnir grabbed Loki's head, and informed him that the hammer would always come back, even if it had to go through some brains to do it. It took a split second for me to realize that Loki couldn't move the hammer because only Thor could. Very sweet.

There are a lot of trade paperbacks out there reprinting Thor's adventures over almost fifty years, including stuff written and drawn by Walt Simonson, which you can check out here, Also, there's the eight-issue run of Thor the Mighty Avenger, which was geared more for the kid set, yet was widely acclaimed. That's collected in two pocket-sized tpbs, along with reprints of Lee/Kirby tales.

ETA: There's also Thor Vs. Hercules, featuring Marvel's original frenemies. It covers the fill-in issue with Hercules completing humiliating the thunder god, as seen on this cover. The finale issue covered is the end of an arc of The Incredible Hercules, where Herc is duped into posing as Thor, and the Warriors Three get Thor to dress as Herc to settle things. The ensuing fight is awesomely hilarious.

Edited by Lantern7, May 7, 2011 @ 7:31 PM.

benteen

benteen

Stalker

Posted May 7, 2011 @ 8:23 PM

They also gave us each a free Thor comic which was cool. Did anyone else have that happpen?

They did? I really wish I would have gotten one...it at least would have made up for the extra money wasted on the 3D. What was the issue? Was it for Free Comic Day, which is today? The only time I got a free comic for going to a superhero movie is during The Punisher. They gave a reprint of his first appearance in 1974's Amazing Spider-Man #129. That was pretty cool.

Thor putting the hammer on Mjolnir on Loki confused me at first too but that was brilliaint. So was the Donald Blake nametag. Also, the steroids joke got a lot of laughs.

Lantern7

Lantern7

Stalker

Posted May 7, 2011 @ 11:48 PM

Actually, today was Free Comic Book Day. One of the titles Marvel put out was Captain America/Thor: The Mighty Fighting Avengers. It takes places in the continuity of Thor: The Mighty Avenger, and it dumps the thunder god and Cap from WWII into Camelot for hijinks galore. You can see the first few pages here.

Shadow Walker

Shadow Walker

Video Archivist

Posted May 8, 2011 @ 12:03 PM

That is the one they gave us Thor: The Mighty Avenger.

redrobin27

redrobin27

Stalker

Posted May 8, 2011 @ 4:54 PM

Perhaps I had low expectations, as this movie was a 2nd choice for my sister and me; the movie we wanted to see was sold out, but Thor was a lot better than I expected. The trailers always reminded me of Masters of the Universe, thus turned me off completely. If I had to make a comparison, I enjoyed it a lot more than Iron Man. I appreciated that it wasn't 2 + hours, although some aspects could have been more developed.

I thoroughly enjoyed 2/3 of the movie, and loved the (unexpected by me) humor. Chris Hemsworth, who made an impression on me in Star Trek, held his own quite well. I thought the rest of the cast was good, too. Not sure of his character in the comics, but I didn't see Loki as a villain in the film. Perhaps more of an anti-hero? I certainly didn't agree with his methods, but he had a damn good point about Thor being unfit to be King, at least in the beginning. I wouldn't have brought him back, either.

The last third of the movie is what kept me from being completely entertained. The showdown between the Destroyer and Thor was anti-climatic, although it served its purpose. The "love" between Thor and Jane wasn't earned, so I didn't really care about it. Loki's threat of paying Jane a visit had me laughing out loud in its absurdity. I actually thought Chris had more chemistry with the Sif actress, and their relationship would have felt a lot more organic.

It also got sort of cheesy with the whole "sacrifice yourself, but NO! You're not dead! Now you're woooorrrrrthy!" schtick.

The special effects were great, although seeing it in 3-D was a waste of money. Overall, a good way to kick off the summer blockbuster season.

I really don't understand the concern I've read elsewhere of Idris Elba's casting as Heimdall, only because if you're gonna be perplexed or dismayed, wouldn't that extend to anyone who wasn't Nordic? Stellan Skarsgard was the only one, I think, who would fit the bill, and he played a regular ol' human. I guess as long as the characters were white, it wasn't an issue. *eye roll*

Edited by redrobin27, May 8, 2011 @ 4:55 PM.

Limbonaut

Limbonaut

Stalker

Posted May 8, 2011 @ 6:11 PM

Not sure of his character in the comics, but I didn't see Loki as a villain in the film. Perhaps more of an anti-hero? I certainly didn't agree with his methods, but he had a damn good point about Thor being unfit to be King, at least in the beginning. I wouldn't have brought him back, either.

Well he's a full on villain in the comics where he always knew where he came from. In the movie he's more sympathetic but the actor Tom Hiddleston did a great job making you see his side. I'm looking forward to him being a villain in The Avengers.

The success of the film makes me glad because I want a sequel featuring Walt Simonson's Thor stories from the Eighties which were EPIC and were so much fun to read. I don't expect them to do the story where Loki turns Thor into a frog, but hopefully an appearance by Beta Ray Bill(the alien who can also wield Mjolnir) and the Fire demon Surtur down the line.

Edited by Limbonaut, May 8, 2011 @ 6:17 PM.