5-21: "Everything Sunny All the Time Always" 2011.04.28

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

43 replies to this topic

JakeyIsSusan

JakeyIsSusan

Fanatic

• Interests:television (duh!), pro wrestling, pop culture, awards shows, writing, dreaming, procrastinating

Posted Apr 29, 2011 @ 9:11 PM

Oh, and I liked the tag with Kim Jong Il doing Alec's speech from Glengarry Glen Ross.

I wouldn't have caught that on my own, so thanks for that! I also didn't know it was Margaret Cho as Kim Jong-Il until the credits.

Condi's acting left much to be desired, but I have to give her credit for being game at playing a version of herself that was dumped via text message and was also left by herself on Valentine's Day while her boyfriend went out drinking with Karl Rove. And while this epsiode wasn't a great one, I did marvel at how the writers managed to explain various obstacles: The Tracy storyline, ridiculous as it was, led to a plausible reason to jump ahead three weeks, and it wouldn't surprise me if Elizabeth Banks was only available for a very limited time, and so she was either shot in Los Angeles or did all of her scenes in one day without being at the table read or rehearsing.

That being said, I echo thoughts that Avery being stranded in North Korea isn't a fitting coda for her character. 30 Rock has always been cynical, but with the exception of some of Jenna's one-liners, I've never accepted it as having a dark sense of humor.

sarahvb

sarahvb

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 29, 2011 @ 11:24 PM

Rewatching and this time I noticed that the music behind the "CIA helicopter" fight scene is the music from "Bitch Hunter." I love this show.

vb68

vb68

Stalker

Posted Apr 30, 2011 @ 11:02 AM

I really liked the song during Liz's montage. "Sometimes we write a song to move the action along...now here's the story obstacle!" That was Tina Fey singing, I'm sure.

It sure sounded like it. I think that was my favorite part of the episode.

Kenneth actually asked a very logical question when Tracy sprang up from the trash can. "How long have you been in there?"

Betsyb

Betsyb

Fanatic

Posted Apr 30, 2011 @ 5:18 PM

This episode was so strange. I laughed out loud more than I have at this show in a long time. Individually, there was so much that was just straight up hilarious. Margaret Cho was really funny leaving aside other problems I have with that plot. Regan skype sex. I loved Jack and the nanny singing together.

I don't even understand how Liz's plot could be so awesome to me. It was such obvious ridiculous filler. And it was fantastic. "You will eat your family".

Obviously Condi is not an actor. But I thought she was perfectly fine and I was really impressed that they got her. And she was so game. And I did think the "Can your wife read?" line was funny.

I didn't even mind the Tracy plot. I thought it was both realistic in its own insane way. The feeling of being left out of a group's inside joke is awful. And Tracy is crazy enough to escalate things. The reenactment reminded me of the book Remainder (one of my favorites).

But in the end it did leave a sour taste in my mouth. Some of it was really dark. Which, isn't usually a problem for me. But 30 Rock usually skirts along the edge of darkness it doesn't dive right in. And Avery was established enough as a character to make it all seem so off. And a lot of it was just too soon. Avery's plot did remind me of Lara Logan (although I seriously doubt that was intentional). North Koreans are currently starving to death. Its not an abstract thing in the past.

Edited by Betsyb, Apr 30, 2011 @ 5:20 PM.

goldil

goldil

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 30, 2011 @ 8:07 PM

Jack: "I spoke... to Condoleeza."

Avery: "Really? Did you also call Sally Ride and her sister?"

Jack really got around!

amien88

amien88

Channel Surfer

• Interests:30 Rock<br />Arrested Development<br />Bones<br />Community<br />The Colbert Report<br />The Daily Show<br />Dexter<br />Flight of the Conchords<br />Freaks and Geeks<br />Friends<br />Grey's Anatomy<br />House<br />How I Met Your Mother<br />It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia<br />Lost<br />Mad Men<br />Modern Family<br />Monk<br />The Office<br />Parks and Recreation<br />Scrubs<br />Six Feet Under<br />
The Sopranos<br />Strangers With Candy<br />True Blood<br />Veronica Mars<br />Weeds<br />The Wire

Posted May 2, 2011 @ 6:38 PM

Tracy's story was weak, but Liz vs. the bag was so ridiculous and hilarious. I don't mind when 30 Rock ventures into over-the-top territory, as long as it's actually funny and feels true to the characters. Which is why the Avery in North Korea twist is causing mixed reactions. I'm trying to reserve judgment until this week's season finale, but presumably they are truly writing Avery off the show and it's just such a weird, risky way to do it. What bothers me is that I get the impression that most viewers were either indifferent or annoyed by the s4 love triangle and subsequent marriage and baby. The writers played it seriously anyway. And I'm just not sure what the point was, considering that Avery might leave anyway. The pregnancy and marriage haven't really contributed anything to the show or Jack's character development, so it feels like a waste of time.

bolistoli

bolistoli

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 4, 2011 @ 9:48 AM

But I feel like it's more that the baby is ruining everything!

And they had so, so many chances to make that thing a non-storyline, I can't stand it! This is a baby who came from a protracted love triangle plot and a woman who has her period once a year! And a shotgun wedding that turned into a marriage with the wrong lady, which we never saw resolved!

AMEN!!! I hated this whole baby storyline from the start. I was so disappointed that the writers felt they had to take that route. For me, a baby, especially an unplanned one, is a jump the shark moment. It's so soap opera. So in this day and age, we are expected to believe that two characters who are supposed to be so highly intelligent, never quite figured out the whole contraception thing? Why couldn't they have just left Jack and Avery to continue their affair and let it fizzle out? Just by what I know of these two characters, I think a baby would not be something they would even consider. Then again, they have done it before in so many shows with likewise characters that you could never, ever imagine with a kid.

goldil

goldil

Couch Potato

Posted May 4, 2011 @ 11:22 AM

I hope when they come back next season the baby has been soap opera-aged to be in college.

NotRArch

NotRArch

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 5, 2011 @ 9:39 PM

I have to say, I've read a lot on this forum about 30 Rock 'turning into a cartoon' which I've always found odd, because I haven't seen it anywhere else...and I don't really agree with it. The show has always been mostly a gagfest with some nice character moments sprinkled along the way. It's been that way since at least Tracy Does Conan. I don't see how the wacky newer episodes are any more 'cartoony' than say...Black Tie, or Carrie Fisher screaming Star Wars quotes at Liz Lemon as she runs out of her apartment, or Liz flipping over a table because someone took her mac and cheese. If anything I feel Season 5 has been a little more character-driven than the past few years, with episodes like Reaganing, Mrs. Donaghy and It's Never Too Late For Now that really delve into these characters (especially Liz and Jack) and analyze them.

As far as this episode, it was maybe among the weaker of the Season 5 outputs, but this has been such a strong season and it was coming off of an incredible episode so it didn't really matter. It was definitely among the darkest 30 Rocks ever plot-wise, but even still it managed to feel light and silly. Liz's plotline was the best. I didn't get that they're writing Avery out for good - I hope not, anyway, because that'd be a gimmicky way to go about it. I had reservations about Avery at first but she didn't effect the balance of the show at all like I thought she might, so I didn't mind her (or the baby) really.

AMEN!!! I hated this whole baby storyline from the start. I was so disappointed that the writers felt they had to take that route. For me, a baby, especially an unplanned one, is a jump the shark moment. It's so soap opera. So in this day and age, we are expected to believe that two characters who are supposed to be so highly intelligent, never quite figured out the whole contraception thing? Why couldn't they have just left Jack and Avery to continue their affair and let it fizzle out? Just by what I know of these two characters, I think a baby would not be something they would even consider. Then again, they have done it before in so many shows with likewise characters that you could never, ever imagine with a kid.

It's clear they wanted to develop Jack and get him to soften up and settle down. The entire Jack sub-plot since the middle of Season 4 has been that he's no longer the tough GE 'shark' he used to be and is changing into, well, a more normal human being - along with now being in Kabletown (a family-orientated business), he has a child and a wife - hence his progression from the no nonsense, feelings less Jack we were presented with at the start of the show. I thought they made this whole plot pretty clear in the 100th episode.

As far as Libby - I thought she'd be a buzzkill, but she's hardly effected anything at all, certainly not enough to call her a jump the shark moment. Tonight's season finale was the first time we ever even got a full face shot of her.

Edited by NotRArch, May 5, 2011 @ 9:57 PM.

HickoryColt

HickoryColt

Stalker

Posted May 7, 2011 @ 9:51 PM

Dark or not, I thought the Kim Jong Il part of the story was hilarious. Especially the newscasts she was forced to do for him.

I thought the Tracy storyline fell completely flat, though, about as flat as the joke they recreated. I wasn't sure what they were going for then, even with the tacked in "deeper" meaning behind it.

sometimes

sometimes

Fanatic

• Interests:Boston, MA

Posted May 8, 2011 @ 12:56 AM

Did anyone else think the title was a subtle nod to "It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia?" There was an episode a ways back where Kim Jong Il (or at least a bar owner who looked a lot like him) was also played by a woman. I kind of expected Green Man to pop up somewhere...

mindy35

mindy35

Channel Surfer

Posted Jun 3, 2011 @ 1:43 AM

It's clear they wanted to develop Jack and get him to soften up and settle down. The entire Jack sub-plot since the middle of Season 4 has been that he's no longer the tough GE 'shark' he used to be and is changing into, well, a more normal human being

I see your point but it hasn't actually worked that way for them. As a character, Jack has only become more indominitable, more untouchable over the past few years. There is less depth and pathos to his characters these days (as there is to all the characters, only it shows more in the main two as they had more potential for growth). But as pointed out in the 100th epsiode, it is Liz who has softened and humanised Jack over the years. They really didn't need to manufacture a "love" that no one believed or give him a kid they didn't know what to do with to achieve this end. Because it was the whole point (if you ask me) of the pivotal relationship from the beginning. The humanising of Jack Donaghy started as soon as Liz Lemon entered his life. They should have stuck with that more fascinating and less cliched dynamic when it was working. I suspect the major reason they wanted Jack to settle down was to actually cut off where that was leading or make it appear to mean less than it did. Which they have done. And it's made for a far less mature, interesting and surprising show. IMO.

My feeling with this episode is that they poured everything they had into #100 and the one before and one after it kind of suffered. They are a bit lacklustre, both of them. I'm impressed that they made a whole storyline out of Liz chasing a bag but it does give the impression of them scraping the bottom of the bowl a bit. Meanwhile, the Avery thing has wrecked so much of the show and altered Jack's character so much that I would have *liked* a more fulfilling end to that relationship. They already set up the doubledeged sword business then they do this cartoonish crap instead. Not that I really *expected* them to deliver better. Not after giving us such an infuriating, unconvincing beginning to this supposed "love" of theirs with the love triangle business and then trying to sell us on the relationship with such pathetic portrayals of "love" as "The Fabian Stategy" and "Gentleman's Intermission". This is kind of weak ending is probably about all this mess of a storyline was capable of. And frankly, as long as Avery is gone for good, I'm not sure I give a crap. It took long enough to get rid of her so you will not hear me complaining about how. Good riddance.

Oh. And the Condi/Jack thing was weeeeeird. Good sport. But wow. Weird.

NotRArch

NotRArch

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jun 9, 2011 @ 9:33 AM

I agree that the Avery thing wasn't necessary, but it was never prominent enough to be too offensive for me. I didn't like in Season 4 when Jack and Liz'z friendship was being put to the side for their lovelives, but the show reversed that in Season 5 by putting Avery way into the background and putting Liz and Jack's dynamic at the forefront again. To me, the minimal use of Avery and the baby in Season 5 shows that the writers kind of realized Avery wasn't right for the show and tried to make her role as small as possible.

Could you give some examples on how you think Jack has become "untouchable" and lost pathos? I don't see that a all - I mean, look at 100. The purpose of Jack's character has always been to see his slow transformation into a human being. Even dating back to Season 1, when he lost microwaves and was told he had to find a wife if he wanted it back. I've been watching Season 1 episodes lately and he is definitely a lot softer now than he was then.

Edited by NotRArch, Jun 9, 2011 @ 9:35 AM.

MyAlias

MyAlias

Fanatic

Posted Dec 19, 2011 @ 11:39 AM

Now that Kim Jong-Il is dead, can Avery come back?