The Dothraki: Savage Horsemen or Horny Nomads?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

42 replies to this topic

litex

litex

Video Archivist

Posted May 1, 2012 @ 10:38 AM

"All Dothraki know how to do is steal from better men."

I really like that this show is interrogating these raider cultures like the Dothraki and Greyjoys that idolize taking, and showing how hollow and fucked up their philiosophies are.

Ankai

Ankai

Stalker

Posted May 1, 2012 @ 7:14 PM

Is Jhiqui still around or did she take off when Drogo died?

I don't think that she has been around since "The Kingsroad". So she was pretty much around for one episode. I guess that Doreah has taken over her part, which kind of makes logistical sense, though it surprised me at first. I like Irri as well, though I am not sure why she was so irritable last episode. Still upset over Rakharo, maybe?

How many Dothraki are with Dany? Some of her followers are Lamb people, right?

Blue Nocturne

Blue Nocturne

Couch Potato

Posted May 1, 2012 @ 8:32 PM

I guess that Doreah has taken over her part, which kind of makes logistical sense, though it surprised me at first. I like Irri as well, though I am not sure why she was so irritable last episode. Still upset over Rakharo, maybe?

I think the sadness about Rakharo was part of it. Part of it also seemed like a tug of war over Dany. Irri's a full blooded Dothraki while Doreah is from the Free City of Lys. Living in a lavish house with a wealthy patron is right in her comfort zone whereas Irri seems more at home wandering the Dothraki Sea, wearing riding clothes like the ones she mended. One's more suited to serve a princess, the other a khaleesi. Dany's both, but I imagine each woman is going to try to influence her to lean more one way than the other.

Ankai

Ankai

Stalker

Posted May 1, 2012 @ 9:09 PM

You probably have a point there. That might not have been the first time that Doreah had called Dany a princess.

kieran555

kieran555

Fanatic

Posted Jun 4, 2012 @ 10:12 AM

With all her very attractive handmaidens gone now (I think), I hope we continue to get some good moments from the remaining Dothraki. As a link and continual reminder to Dany's earlier story, I feel they offer something important to her continuing arc.

The only one with a name I can remember is Kovarro, so I hope he gets some choice lines and is not next in line for 'Dies or betrays Dany to give Dany something to act over'.

Charishma

Charishma

Just Tuned In

Posted Jul 2, 2012 @ 6:29 AM

So I've just watched the first two seasons this week. I apologize if this little essay is in the wrong thread.

I just can't get over Dany and Drogo. He's horrific. She's self-entitled (and quite blood-thirsty lol). But their story was just...wow. That's what you call a love story. They were beautiful. I just can't get over the growth those two showed. She showed strength. And he disregarded everything society had taught him about marriage. Neither had any real reason for doing either. Dany wanted to make the best of the situation for sure. But the way she asked, very earnestly, if she could see his face while they had sex...well, that was just genius. The embodiment of female strength in a world and time where women have no choice regarding their marriage. The sweetest thing about what followed though, was his at first wary, and then open acceptance. They followed their hearts, and there was no looking back after that.

However, twisted he was, and she is, they worked because their love came from an honest and hopeful place. I'm convinced Drogo wanted love from the beginning, only he didn't know it. I think he was just searching for something ...more. Like Doreah said, if he had wanted the norm he would've married a Dothraki.

Their wedding night was rape. There's no glossing over that. She hadn't consented. And it was amplified by her being a virgin with no previous exposure to sex. Never been kissed before. Complete and total lack of sex education (other than the taunts her brother threw her way before selling her off). Drogo's sheer size, well-earned reputation, and well, damn, his plain scary-ness, made it all that much more, well, tangible. Drogo got on with it. But both times, it seemed almost, well, perfunctory. He liked it, in a "okay lets just get this done" way. But he liked it so much more when she got into it. And then, it seemed as if he thought to himself, "I think this is why I married her".

Their's was a strictly political alliance. At most Drogo had a case of lust at first sight. Although, he kind of just glared and rode off lol. It was almost as if he said to himself, "Yeah, she'll do. On to more important things". But they grew to love each other. A lot of people mention how Dany had never been loved before, and how that made it so much more special. That he, a "savage" was the first person in her life to show her any gentleness and love. But it's a first for both of them I think. Being accepted that way. Drogo had never been loved either (by family or friends), just like Dany. Despite the fact that he's probably like 8-10 years older than her, they sort of seemed like this young couple in love. Oblivious to anything and everything but each other (to their detriment).

It was a short run, but so very sweet. And even though its over now, it kinda still lives on, eh? When Cat was talking (more like lecturing) Robb, on the importance of keeping his word, and that love was something that was achieved over time, in a world where arranged marriages were the norm. She talked about herself and Ned, and I thought of Dani and Drogo. Those two really did make it work, for the short time they had together. And in their world, its no easy feat. Most people at least have a common goal for marriage (even in arranged ones). These two didn't even have a common language lol.

Their story is quite timeless, despite the fact that it might be a "first love". No matter where Dani goes, or what she does, what she had with Drogo, it will sort of be her home. Not a stick used to measure happiness, but the place she feels safest and most connected with family. Rheago is a huge part of that I think. Its a kind of happiness that most people would experience for the first time during their childhood. And if you loose it, or a part of it, no matter what happiness you garner afterwards, there will always be that yearning.

It almost seemed like the two of them saw love as a gift. There were a lot of religious references made by Dany and Drogo. I truly think, that for the two of them, love was a gift. And they saw it that way.

Edited by Charishma, Jul 5, 2012 @ 10:34 AM.

SexiMarineChick

SexiMarineChick

Channel Surfer

Posted May 22, 2013 @ 4:28 PM

Their wedding night was rape. There's no glossing over that. She hadn't consented.

I don't consider this a spoiler since it's all done now, but Charishma many of the books' fans have been upset about the portrayal of their wedding night, as in the books Drogo fully understood the word no, was very gentle and considerate, and didn't attempt to have sex with Dany until she initiates it.  He was a tender and considerate lover/husband from Day One. 

If you're truly inspired by Sun and Stars/Moon of my Life, I recommend the first book. :) 

BlueRocket4000

BlueRocket4000

Channel Surfer

Posted May 23, 2013 @ 6:22 PM

Thinking on it Dany was raped by her brother and the trade marriage system that Drogo thought a normal part of his culture and the way he was raised. To me this is why the relationship could rise above the horrible start and become a wonderful thing as Dany and Drogo rose above Drogo's culture. The anger at the rape Danny is rightly directing at the slave system and hopefully under her rule there will always be an out for women from arranged marriages.

I hope after bringing the Dothraki under her rule the future Daenerys the Great making a similar reform to Russia's Peter the Great when he decreed arranged marriages stop. Peter also ended the custom where the father of the bride would hand a small whip to the groom to symbolize the marriage being completed. The whip symbolized the ownership and right to whip the bride. Peter replaced it with a kiss between bride and groom.

I don't know how well Daenerys reforms will stick with the Dothraki after her death though.

If I understood one of Danny's claimed titles she was calming rule of the Dothraki. I assume after Danny takes the rest of the Slaver Bay cities she will move inland to acquire at least part of the Dothraki hordes. Twyin might not think the Dragons will be that much of a threat but 200,000 Dorhraki , 8,000 Unsulied plus trainees and various city and mercenary forces might make Twyin rethink his views. Of course Twyin might really be thinking like Tyrion's reaction to Danny news. I got way to many threats right next door to spend time on a threat half way across the world.

With the Unsulied being Danny's Jannisaries the Dothraki will make the main part of her army like the Turkish cavalry were the main part of the Ottoman army. The light part of the Turkish cavalry have a lot of similarities to the Dothraki in military style being that the Turkic people were part of the Mongol Empire that the Dothraki resemble. By the time of the Ottoman Empire though the Turkish light cavalry fought like in the past but lived quite differently than on tribes on the plains of west Asia.

I agree the Book romance start is better but I am content with the show romance.

Edited by BlueRocket4000, May 23, 2013 @ 6:26 PM.

Tricksterson

Tricksterson

Fanatic

Posted May 24, 2013 @ 4:24 PM

I thought, in the series at least, desertion and the toils of the Red Desert had reduced her Dothraki to a handful?

TGC-64

TGC-64

Fanatic

Posted May 24, 2013 @ 9:35 PM

I suspect that her loyal remnant of Drothraki have been reduced to a small personal bodyguard of her tent...and her personal household staff.

Now there may be other Drothraki tribes and hordes that might answer the call to her standard---if they thought she might be a winning proposition.  "Winning" does wonders for swelling your ranks after successful battles....

Glavin

Glavin

Couch Potato

Posted May 25, 2013 @ 8:28 PM

I think all of her non-combatant Dothraki had been killed in Qarth; the only survivors were the honor guard that followed her to the Spice King during the dragon-napping.

Jamesy

Jamesy

Channel Surfer

Posted May 26, 2013 @ 9:41 PM

She lost two of the best 'bloodriders' when she sent them to search the red waste leaving her with the one who was with her with the spice king and at the house of the undying, the rest of the men who entered Quarth got killed when the dragons were stolen and all the women just seamed to disappear until she locks ups Xaro and her ranks swell to larger than they were when she first entered the city.

It didn't really make sense to me.

In medieval/ancient times an army without a cavalry is screwed before the fight even begins, gaining the Second sons was massively important (if they are loyal) as would be the future acquisition of a couple of Dotraki hoards. Still she can't just keep gaining army after army with impunity though, logistics and rivalries might well be her downfall, each army will have their own leader and not all men are as loyal as the unsullied, (eg. mercenaries and Dothraki) never mind the eventual problem of moving hordes of Dothraki and their horses across the narrow sea.

I have a strange feeling that Dany will ironically never make it to Westeros. (Although the burnt? down roof of the throne room in the house of the undying might suggest otherwise)

Edited by Jamesy, May 26, 2013 @ 9:42 PM.

BlueRocket4000

BlueRocket4000

Channel Surfer

Posted May 27, 2013 @ 1:06 PM

I has been unclear who was majority of those killed in Quarth. I'm of the opinion that it was mostly household servants and few Dothraki.

to make the abduction of the dragon seam to be done by someone else. The plot being this would be the reason all the leaders of Quarth would gather to discuss the assault on the home of a leader so they could be assassinated.   So I assume most of Danny's Dothraki were not in the house with the dragon, after all they are not 'housebroken', but were staying somewhere else. But the numbers of Dothraki do seam to vary a bit.