4-19:"Petty in Pink" 2011.04.25

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

243 replies to this topic

KissedByARose

KissedByARose

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 25, 2011 @ 10:30 PM

Louis, Chuck, Charlie. Good job being upstaged by Penelope tonight. Who do I talk to about getting more of her? She lights up my life.

Forreal! Why did they even bring in Charlie? Penelope would/could have served the same exact purpose!

Don't worry guys, I miss Nate too. I'm sure he would have so much to say about Dan liking Blair. I miss their interactions!

voldemort

voldemort

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 25, 2011 @ 10:35 PM

I think Blair's words to Charlie were interesting. I saw it as Blair projecting onto Charlie why Blair can't be with Dan. As I recall, she didn't specifically say anything about Blair being Dan's step-cousin. She just mentioned that Dan was Serena's ex, and if she wanted to be friends with Serena then Charlie couldn't date Serena's ex.

There it is! I thought so too when I saw the scene. Okay this show has been incredibly subtle these 2 new episodes. I don't know if I'm delusional and giving them too much credit or what, but the hints are definitely there.

Lunathick

Lunathick

Fanatic

Posted Apr 25, 2011 @ 10:37 PM

Speaking of Blair, Louis is really cute and sweet, so I kind of feel bad that his story is making me laugh at him. Like, he was so great and made me "aw" when he was talking to Blair at her penthouse. But that shot of them kissing with the weird twinkly things all over the screen? I was practically crying with laughter, just like last week with the shoe. I mean, I just can't take this shit seriously.

That shit was hilarious. I like Louis well enough (he can stay for now), but I couldn't hold it in when those sparkles appeared on my TV screen as well. We know it's a fairytale, people. There's no need to resort to cheap "special" effects.

Maybe because my expectations were too high and because I was so spoiled, but I wasn't really feeling this episode. It was better than last week obviously (minimal Chuck, no Chair!), but other than Dair and Lily, I wasn't really entertained. Still happy with all the Dan/Blair interactions we got. And I knew they wouldn't properly show the kiss, but I was still slightly pissed when all we saw of it was via a tiny cellphone. Ugh, Safran/Savage and co. You better be going somewhere with this.

Charlie didn't annoy me so much tonight, but I still feel like she's useless and I can't bring myself to care. I did raise an eyebrow at this, though:
"I know from experience what it's like to watch from the outside as someone else walks away with the person you want."

You in danger, Dan. Careful, boy.

Forget Louis, his handler Lucien was super hot.

Hmm, yes. I hope we'll see him again.

ETA: Dan sniffing the champagne glasses made me laugh out loud! So random and ridiculous.

Edited by Lunathick, Apr 25, 2011 @ 11:03 PM.

DerailedTrain

DerailedTrain

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 25, 2011 @ 10:51 PM

You guys. I'm so excited that the French prince bought back Inspector Serena, calling France in the middle of the night to get the real story. French people make Serena a detective. Love.

merrick715

merrick715

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 25, 2011 @ 10:59 PM

I think she's mad because she couldn't believe there was truth to what Blair was saying. She's always been able to be the bigger person because she's rarely in Blair's position as the second fiddle so this should have been more interesting. I wish Blake was a better actress to sell it though.

Why is Serena supposed to be jealous of Blair, again? I don't see what Blair has accomplished in these last few episodes that should make Serena green with envy. The only reason people were taking Blair's picture is because she is the girlfriend of. It has nothing to do with her own accomplishments. Her biggest accomplishment is dating a prince. The size of someone's bank account or title has never been a deciding factor in who Serena dates. That was always Blair's things, since season one, when they went to the cotillion. Serena was pissed that Blair and Dan lied to her, and then she goes to leave right after Dan does, but allows herself to get drawn into an argument instead. Serena says something nasty about Dan being hers and then Blair goes even nastier by pretty much saying Serena is too stupid to have meaningful conversations with. Blair just diminished two of Serena's most important relationships. This episode, Serena calls Blair and Dan her two best friends, but now Blair doesn't feel Serena is good enough for her.

Soleil

Soleil

Fanatic

Posted Apr 25, 2011 @ 11:03 PM

Wait, I'm confused who Serena called at the end. I thought maybe it was Louis's driver from the double date, the one who he switched places with? But what's her angle? Is she calling to dig for information about Louis, or to spread nasty gossip about Blair? Or maybe she's just jealous and wants a Grimaldi hookup of her own?

I'm firmly subscribing to the theory that the writers are making Dair a slow burn. This is a ship that is essentially four seasons in the making, the first three of which were extremely in the background, so I think purposely not showing us the kisses is a meta extension of that. I have no problem with it, because to me it indicates that the writers think Dair finally getting together will be a Big Deal, too.

Charlie BETTER be secretly crazy because I'm tired of her already. And as tiresome as Vanessa is, I wouldn't want Charlie to replace her as Token Meddling Outsider because it'd be a shame to lose the show's only minority for yet another pretty blonde girl.

voldemort

voldemort

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 25, 2011 @ 11:08 PM

merrick715, like I said, there's no reason for her to be so spiteful and angry but she is and it isn't an emotion that can be rationalized. Throughout the course of the show, they've been telling me Blair is jealous of Serena and realistically, I never see the reason why she should be either. I'm just going with the storyline. Flaws should make characters more interesting.

Thank you Lila82 :)

Edited by voldemort, Apr 25, 2011 @ 11:12 PM.

Lila82

Lila82

Fanatic

Posted Apr 25, 2011 @ 11:09 PM

Why is Serena supposed to be jealous of Blair, again? I don't see what Blair has accomplished in these last few episodes that should make Serena green with envy.

She's jealous of Blair's relationship with Dan. D/S's relationship was based on two cardinal rules: Dan had to worship Serena; Serena had to be worshipped by Dan. They never actually had anything in common and when either rule was broken, which was quite often, the relationship fell apart. In the early months, I could buy love between them but never any actual like. Dan was too judgy; Serena was too shallow. They had nothing in common and were terrible at communicating with each other.

Dan and Blair have a ton in common, and not just movies and museums. They're both underdogs and they both work for what they want. Even better? They respect each other. Dan values Blair's mind; she values his loyalty. This is a huge threat to Serena because Blair is a person Dan could actually fall in love with *and* like at the same time. This is a threat to her role in Dan's life as the fairy princess he has to spend his time rescuing.

Last week we saw her in crisis and he didn't rush to her rescue. She was too distracted by Lily to notice but those blinders aren't there anymore. The roles have shifted and Dan's helping Blair now. He's spending time with her and liking her. He's talking with her, debating with her -- these are things she and Dan never had.

Her jealousy makes sense. Dan was a constant in her life and now he's not. Every boy battle she's fought with Blair, she won. She's not used to being the loser, in general, but especially with this.

kschica

kschica

Fanatic

Posted Apr 25, 2011 @ 11:11 PM

I didn't really think much of it at the time, but I'm wondering if there will be some significance that will come out of Charlie hiding in the study. It was a really weird dialogue sequence. Why would Charlie really care what was in that room in that moment? Dan specifically said it was his study, and we know she was back there for awhile. I wonder if she discovered something back there, or maybe took something. I just feel like there must be some significance to it.

I think Serena really was more hurt than angry initially, which I think is somewhat understandable and harder to rationalize away. Plus, I'm not sure she bought their story, especially Blair's. I think the first kiss is important here. In Serena's mind, Dan and Blair didn't actually come clean. Even as they explained everything, they didn't mention that they kissed twice, as of course DB didn't know that Vanessa had called Serena. Plus, if Charlie could tell that the kiss meant something to Dan, I would imagine that Serena would be able to detect that Dan was into the kiss. She probably feels that Blair is stringing Dan along, which would make her upset that Blair would jeopardize their friendship over someone she would unceremoniously dump when someone better came along.

MarigoldSkye

MarigoldSkye

Fanatic

Posted Apr 25, 2011 @ 11:20 PM

Then Vanessa simply telling Serena the secret that was bound to get out anyway, and Dan is all I have no best friend.

Vanessa also essentially said that she knew something was wrong with him if he was kissing Blair, and that if he wouldn't listen to her, Serena would set him straight for her. Considering the way Serena acted to Dan and Blair just earlier, the fact that Vanessa's phone call started the whole 'hey Charlie, spy on Dan and Blair for me' mission, and the fact that Vanessa had once again done something like that behind his back for no reason when she was supposedly missing him as a friend, I see nothing wrong with him being angry with her and telling her to get lost. I saw her comment of something being wrong with him if he kissed Blair as the straw that broke the Humphrey's back.

thekiid

thekiid

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 25, 2011 @ 11:22 PM

Dan basically admitted to Charlie he likes Blair but was surprised he does after Charlie said she could tell during the kiss. That is a big step in their "relationship" because Dan officially likes her or thinks he does. I really wish the prince didn't randomly show up when DB were just starting to gain steam. Unless it's just a way to get Chuck back in the picture or maybe push her to Dan realizing they are wrong for her?

Now in the previews looks like Chuck all the sudden decided to step in and take her back. So that puts Dan at least for now third. I would like Charlie to mention the same thing to Dan about the kiss to Blair and see what she says about it, that would be a big sign. Or Dan to actually let her know instead of letting two guys fight over her and see how she reacts. I think Blair is blinded by the fantasy of being a princess and all that comes with it than actually doing it in real life. Fantasy always is better than the reality of it so she probably will get rid of him pretty quick IMO.

Blair and Chuck were good when they first dated, but now they hardly interact in each others lives it's hard to see them in scenes like they both are doing their own things. It would be cool if Serena forced Blair to confront her feelings and did something useful for once.

Edited by thekiid, Apr 25, 2011 @ 11:24 PM.

minneapple

minneapple

Stalker

Posted Apr 25, 2011 @ 11:27 PM

Her jealousy makes sense. Dan was a constant in her life and now he's not. Every boy battle she's fought with Blair, she won. She's not used to being the loser, in general, but especially with this.

Paraphrasing, after Blair listed all the things she and Dad did and the stuff they had in common, she said something to the effect of, "These are discussions you could never have with us." Now it's not Serena/Dan and Serena/Blair, it's Blair/Dan and Serena. Dan went behind Serena's back to keep his friendship with Blair a secret and didn't denounce it or explain it away when given the chance. That must have really stung Serena.

Eaterlover

Eaterlover

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 25, 2011 @ 11:33 PM

It was a really weird dialogue sequence. Why would Charlie really care what was in that room in that moment? Dan specifically said it was his study, and we know she was back there for awhile. I wonder if she discovered something back there, or maybe took something. I just feel like there must be some significance to it.

Yeah I thought so too. It really rang the plot bells for me. I don't have a flushed out theory; other than the fact that Dan mentioned it was a nursery and it was Vanessa's room--arguably the most tumultuous time of his life...and also that it was a multi-functional room. Are we confirmed that cousinsex doesn't happen at the loft?

merrick715

merrick715

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 25, 2011 @ 11:34 PM

She's jealous of Blair's relationship with Dan. D/S's relationship was based on two cardinal rules: Dan had to worship Serena; Serena had to be worshipped by Dan. They never actually had anything in common and when either rule was broken, which was quite often, the relationship fell apart. In the early months, I could buy love between them but never any actual like. Dan was too judgy; Serena was too shallow. They had nothing in common and were terrible at communicating with each other.

I never felt Serena had Dan worship her. Their early relationship was Dan making Serena into some mythical creature and when she revealed herself to be just a girl, he punished her for it. I think it is significant to remember that prior to season four, every breakup they had was initiated by Dan and he was also the first one to move on physically from the relationship. Serena spent the summer after he dumped her moping around while he was making out with girls all over the city. Serena and Dan had communication problems because it is a staple of all of Serena's relationships. Serena has a hard time opening up to anyone. This is the same girl who wouldn't tell her best friend that she was looking for her dad. I guess if you count Nate, Serena has won once. I really disagree that Serena is not used to being the loser. Serena learned early that she would always lose with both William and Lily.

Paraphrasing, after Blair listed all the things she and Dad did and the stuff they had in common, she said something to the effect of, "These are discussions you could never have with us." Now it's not Serena/Dan and Serena/Blair, it's Blair/Dan and Serena. Dan went behind Serena's back to keep his friendship with Blair a secret and didn't denounce it or explain it away when given the chance. That must have really stung Serena.

I don't even understand why Blair, who is the queen of lashing out, couldn't cut Serena a break and not say all of that shit when Serena lashed out. It was purposefully done to hit Serena's weak points. You are stupid and the only reason a guy could like you is because of sex, not because of your intelligence, kindness, or humor. Serena has been hit when Blair lashes out and most of the time she just takes it in stride. A perfect example would be that stupid scheme to embarrass Serena in front of W readers for dating Ben.

Edited by merrick715, Apr 25, 2011 @ 11:41 PM.

Eaterlover

Eaterlover

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 25, 2011 @ 11:38 PM

Thanks Merrick715, this is very insightful and an nicely nuanced read on Serena's character.

sidewalkdoctor

sidewalkdoctor

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 25, 2011 @ 11:46 PM

As a purely Dan and Blair fan, I loved this episode. It was like a fun screwball comedy filled with light and cute DB moments. Let's be honest here, it's Gossip Girl so we're not shooting for the moon in terms of a cohesive plot. Tons of foreshadowing for future DB which was great. The A-plot Prince storyline is just so ridiculous that I don't even want to think about it--it's such a waste of time since we know what will eventually happen with Blair and Louis. It's sad, although I find him slightly creepy and hopelessly naive--I'm starting to warm up to Louis, he was just too adorable this episode with his "Huh? Why would you do that?" and "I don't understand these schemes!"

And then there's Charlie being a creeper during the ENTIRE episode, she's got "crazy agenda" written all over her. But I still like her better than Serena who was just being a tool.

Highlights were the 4x17 flashback kiss and Dan telling Vanessa to GTFO. I think the editors either feel sorry for us or are sadists for giving us larger increments of the kiss in every new episode. Blair was sooo into it. Hey, by the end of the season we might see a third of the kiss lol.

Edited by sidewalkdoctor, Apr 25, 2011 @ 11:50 PM.

voldemort

voldemort

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 26, 2011 @ 12:13 AM

A perfect example would be that stupid scheme to embarrass Serena in front of W readers for dating Ben.

Not exactly. What Blair did was in retaliation of what she thought Serena did, which was just totally blurting out her private feelings to some stranger that cost her a story. Blair was immature to think Serena would ruin her job over something so petty, but it was Serena who was inconsiderate of Blair's feelings first. She never goes to Blair directly. She entrusts random guest stars like Raina and Charlie before she does her best friend. I mean in season one she bought a whole bunch of pregnancy tests in public and was indiscriminate about Blair's affair with Chuck, went to Dan and Chuck because oh boo hoo Blair doesn't listen to her after NOT asking for her advice/interference. In 1x04, it didn't bother her that Blair wasn't at the same photoshoot for her mother's campaign. Serena means no harm, but that doesn't mean she doesn't harm others by being incredibly self absorbed.

Edited by voldemort, Apr 26, 2011 @ 12:19 AM.

Light of Night

Light of Night

Fanatic

Posted Apr 26, 2011 @ 12:36 AM

I have to admit Serena wasn't at her best in this episode. But she also in in denial, as shown by her statement that the only reason Blair is attracted to Dan is that he was Serena's. That's not true at all, and at a deeper level I think Serena knows it's not true.

I guess if you count Nate, Serena has won once.

If Serena had fought Blair over Nate, Serena would have won, no doubt about it; but she chose not to fight. She didn't get back with Nate (after their first alcohol-fueled encounter) until Nate and Blair were thoroughly done.

Eaterlover

Eaterlover

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 26, 2011 @ 12:42 AM

Dan and Blair 4X19 Scenes

There are some great DB liners this episode. I definitely needed a rewatch to enjoy 'em all.

I think their banter is just as sharp as before. I like the point at 1:15 when Blair makes fun of his need for literary validation and Dan laughs in response. Also, there just like milisecond where Blair says, "We will just convince everyone that we're madly in love." and Dan replies with "Why would they believe that" in slightly hopeful manner? (Ship googles on). Heh, Blair also calls their first kiss a "misbegotten make out," which c'mon Blair, just admit you guys were making out! All these unnecessary adjectives.

Other moments of note:
Dan also says, "For someone who's just a friend, you sure are good at choreographing a reason for us to kiss."
Blair grabbing Dan's lapel right after she sees the GG blast.

Love2Hate

Love2Hate

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 26, 2011 @ 12:50 AM

Every Dan and Blair scene in this episode was awesome. Dan + Blair makes me not only like Dan, but love Dan. I also really enjoyed the scene with with Blair and Serena, because their confrontation made Blair actually acknowledge that she likes Dan as a person. Simple, to the point, and more obvious than she realizes yet.

merrick715

merrick715

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 26, 2011 @ 1:01 AM

Not exactly. What Blair did was in retaliation of what she thought Serena did, which was just totally blurting out her private feelings to some stranger that cost her a story. Blair was immature to think Serena would ruin her job over something so petty, but it was Serena who was inconsiderate of Blair's feelings first. She never goes to Blair directly. She entrusts random guest stars like Raina and Charlie before she does her best friend. I mean in season one she bought a whole bunch of pregnancy tests in public and was indiscriminate about Blair's affair with Chuck, went to Dan and Chuck because oh boo hoo Blair doesn't listen to her after NOT asking for her advice/interference. In 1x04, it didn't bother her that Blair wasn't at the same photoshoot for her mother's campaign. Serena means no harm, but that doesn't mean she doesn't harm others by being incredibly self absorbed.

One of the interesting things about two of those examples you picked, both of them involve Chuck. Serena realized that Chuck had fallen for Raina and she tried to keep that from Blair by making sure Blair wouldn't see Chuck's affection for Raina during the time Blair spent shadowing Raina. When Blair confronted Serena at the party, she told her the truth. It took Blair accidentally spying on a moment between Chuck and Raina for her to see the truth. That was the incident that dragged her from her fantasy land where Chuck is callously using Raina. It is also interesting that Blair, who has been used by Chuck in a more extreme fashion,was perfectly fine with him doing something similar to Raina. In 1.13, Blair was pretending like she couldn't be pregnant or have two possible fathers for the baby. Someone needed to drag Blair from her fantasy land. I could easily picture, Blair ignoring the pregnancy for nine months because it doesn't fit in with her fantasy of what the world should be. Serena told Dan, her trusted boyfriend, and Chuck who could be the father of the baby. It wasn't like she sent a text to Gossip Girl. Maybe if Blair had treated Jenny like a human being instead of a subhuman minion her secret wouldn't have been outed. Yes, Blair can be loyal and forgiving, but it doesn't make her acts of cruelty any less cruel because she has a low sense of self-worth. The knife cuts both ways for Serena and Blair.

minneapple

minneapple

Stalker

Posted Apr 26, 2011 @ 1:07 AM

Serena means no harm, but that doesn't mean she doesn't harm others by being incredibly self absorbed.

I do think Serena can be self absorbed, but I think it's partly because she's just so used to drifting through life, with stuff falling in place for her and things just going her way that sometimes she doesn't realize the impact of her actions and how much they can hurt other people. Blair is the exact opposite. She knows exactly what she's doing, and she'll strike where it hurts the most.

bluebaby1219

bluebaby1219

Video Archivist

• Interests:Doctor Who, Legend of the Seeker, Gossip Girl, HIMYM, Big Bang Theory, The Vampire Diaries

Posted Apr 26, 2011 @ 1:12 AM

I'm waiting for an intrepid tumblrer to gimme gif action. Sigh.

Its already there Eaterlover. Although you may have to look. Tumblr exploded with DAIR posts this morning.

Can Attack

Can Attack

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 26, 2011 @ 1:18 AM

Finally watched the episode! I have very mixed feelings on this one, TBH. It sort of left me with a ? on my mind after watching it.

- Obviously, the Blair/Dan scenes are great...I just wish there were more of it! (I'll analyze these later, it's late) The shopping scene's my favorite. But, so many cute shots of them looking stunning together. And making the cutest faces ever.

- though I really loved the part where they were holding hands in front of Penelope. Just so darn cute it just makes no sense why the show wouldn't pursue this. And Blair's seems very into touching Dan in this episode. That's also cute.

- S/B/D scene I would have liked better if Dan walking away from that convo was done better somehow. When I watched it, it just seemed like because the show wanted SB to have a talk alone, they had to write Dan walking out after Serena declares them not friends. I did however, love everything else about that scene. DB are just too adorable for words in there.

- IDK what to think of Serena. Mostly, I think Blake's being really lazy on her acting - it's like she checked out entirely - which is why I don't care one way or another whether Serena was justified in her blow up or not. I like Blair standing up for herself, but the scene was less good than I anticipated.

- I don't think Dan calling Vanessa was at all a 'flirty' type call or a booty call at all. Given the episode was basically about Dan handling how to be a friend with Blair (which I think shows in his demeanor with Blair throughout the episode. It was almost a bit like a flipside of 4x18 where I thought Blair was being softer, and now in this episode, Dan is still saying snarky things, but it feels distinctly softer/conflicted) , it would make sense that Rufus' reminder of Vanessa that morning, and then seeing Blair on a date - with a prince, no less - would trigger him to call upon an old friend - because if he could fix things with Vanessa and have her back as a friend, then maybe he could handle being Blair's friend better, what with all the feelings and all.

- I like the idea that it was because Blair gave him credit on the blog Dan wrote for her that led him to Paris Match, which Dan turns down immediately after realizing Blair's in the story. (And Blair was also quick to refuse the idea that Dan betrayed her - though of course she'd use that to her advantage to rope him into a scheme to right things. But I like that they have a good trust thing going on...which I imagine would be important in the final eps. *hope*. )

- On the other hand, have no clue how to make of those Charlie scenes. I'm biased, but I really hate how she's just randomly jammed in there in the final scenes with Dan admitting he likes Blair and can't handle being her friend. I think the scene could be written better, though I did like how Dan was holding the tie Blair gave him when he said his lines. But Charlie was just so meh in that scene - I get the setup, but it was just so sloppy.

- And yes, that office line was definitely weird, which means it's important, I guess. If that room is a gauge on how Dan is changing, then I assume the office will become something else by the end of the season. Which worries me, since the only time scenes are shot in that office (though maybe I'm forgetting other ones) are both Blair related (Vday and Dan/Eric). Charlie going in could either be sloppy writing (plot device just so Vanessa doesn't see Charlie in there, at least for now), or Charlie being into/creepy about Dan, so she wants to connect with Dan via his office or some crap.

- But they obviously share some interests, with the short snippet of convo during the pink party. I do think Blair was saying all that "you can't date Dan because of Serena" not only to Charlie, but herself as well. This is Blair still in deep denial (especially now she has a prince to lay all her Dan feelings on), so maybe subconsciously she's saying all that as a 'lay off my Dan' thing, but I thought it read more as a "see, Dan? That is why I will never date you." statement.

- Visually, the mirror scene with DB was nice. I like how she steps away and you see Dan reflected in the mirror. I have a little pet theory that if we see Blair applying lipstick or something to her lips yet again in the next episode, then they're once again reminding us of The Kiss. I mean, there must be other things Blair can do in front of a mirror in her scenes, right? And here we have 18 and 19 both featuring Blair and her lipstick ritual.

- I really need to see this second kiss too now. I mean, this is just getting cruel. Even in that tiny screen, Dan was definitely very much into kissing Blair, so I don't see any reason for the show to be withholding all the reactions from their kisses unless it's to hide the fact that Blair likes it. Which we do see in the prince kiss, but man, was that shot not romantic at all with the crazy shiny crap in the background. Here we have the staged DB kiss that ends up being rather private (in terms of that we don't see the actual kiss happen on the show), and a 'real' BL kiss that was shown as anything but private (with the highlighting of the paps and general hamminess to the shot).

- Louis? Cute and completely unmemorable. But yeah, that boy is really rushing their romance for a reason. Just one day, and he's ready to declare his undying love for her (and requesting her to do the same for him) before allowing themselves to be not hidden.

- I totally LOLed when Dan stands Vanessa up without any thought to go hang with Blair at PS. I think with Dan in this episode, his expressions are harder to read than in 4x18 where he's all crushy, but his actions are still very much in tune with his feelings for Blair.

- Ah, smell seems decisively involved again. Not only do we have specific lines about smell, but there's also that funny and rather cute shot of Dan smelling the wine/champagne when he walked into the party. Sort of his sense are picking up on the allure of Blair's perfume and the UES instead of pork and cheese in the old days?

- So Blair thought the kiss was lifechanging, then a makeout, and now the biggest mistake of her life? Girl needs to settle on one definition if she wants to keep being in denial about it.

- I sort of FF a lot of the Raina/Nate/Chuck and Lily/Rufus stuff. Anything important to note? LMAO on Chuck having a pocket square on his ROBE. What a jackass.

ETA: I apologize for the ridiculous length of this post.

Edited by Can Attack, Apr 26, 2011 @ 1:43 AM.

voldemort

voldemort

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 26, 2011 @ 1:35 AM

merrick715 Yes, that is obvious, Serena is better than Chuck and some of Blair's issues involve Chuck. It's okay for Serena to be in Blair's position just once... it just shows that she's human and that she's not above scheming and being jealous when someone else threatens her.

I do think Serena can be self absorbed, but I think it's partly because she's just so used to drifting through life, with stuff falling in place for her and things just going her way that sometimes she doesn't realize the impact of her actions and how much they can hurt other people. Blair is the exact opposite. She knows exactly what she's doing, and she'll strike where it hurts the most.

They do try to write S as a three dimensional character; she is aware of her privilege, but she does try to be a good person. Personally I just never felt for her even though she is in the right a lot of the times when she fights with Blair. I'm not making excuses for Blair, she's just simply more compelling to me. I even prefer Jenny to Serena.

Edited by voldemort, Apr 26, 2011 @ 1:45 AM.

brighthope

brighthope

Fanatic

• Interests:TV and Books!

Posted Apr 26, 2011 @ 1:54 AM

Serena says Dan and Blair are her closest friends and then Blair tells her they are able to do things together they can't do with her. I definitely can see how that would be painful to Serena. I'm interested to see where this goes. I think in the end this could lead to some huge character development for Serena.

I loved the Dan/Blair scenes so much. So cute. I love that Blair trusts in the goodness of Dan towards her. I think that's something she really needs in her life. I remember when she said Chuck would never have done something and then it turned out he had.

Pretty sure Chuck/Raina/Nate could not have been more boring.

escritoire

escritoire

Just Tuned In

Posted Apr 26, 2011 @ 3:38 AM

Charlie going into Dan's "multi-functional" office at the end definitely seemed suspicious - she totally had her right hand behind her back when she came out, and while talking to Dan shoved it in her pocket. Hmm...

wheatbread

wheatbread

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 26, 2011 @ 4:17 AM

Maybe if Blair had treated Jenny like a human being instead of a subhuman minion her secret wouldn't have been outed. Yes, Blair can be loyal and forgiving, but it doesn't make her acts of cruelty any less cruel because she has a low sense of self-worth.

I don't get why Jenny is treated as a victim- as if she was FORCED to be Blair's minion. It's made perfectly clear in 1x06 I believe that the only reason Jenny wanted to be a minion was so she could fulfill her social climbing agenda. Jenny brings home the dress by Blair's mom and as Rufus sees her doing Blair's bitch work he states "All for designer dresses?" or something along those lines.

grumpygoddess

grumpygoddess

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 26, 2011 @ 4:39 AM

I enjoyed this episode, but I don't think I will read spoilers anymore, because it sort of ruined some of the great Dan and Blair moments when I knew what was going to happen.

I thought Chuck was okay in this episode. Obviously, I was like, 'Noooo!' every time they left the Pink Party to go back to that storyline, but I think it was nice that he was being a friend to Raina, and I liked the line about him hoping that the waitress was Raina's mum. Although she should think about getting a new PI, because I could look in the phone book and find someone with that name, it doesn't mean it's who I'm looking for though. Silly.

Dan and Blair. Dan and Blair. There were lots of lovely little moments. I think Blair is happy enough with Louis, but she does not want to let Dan go at all. I liked when she was talking about them being 'madly in love'. There was also a lovely moment in the scene where she's applying her lipstick in the mirror, and Dan kind of gazes at her longingly for a moment. I thought it was great that Penelope, one of the original minions, was there when Blair had to grab Dan's hand and tell everyone they were really happy together.

I actually thought Charlie was kind of cool in this episode. Is the comment about watching somebody with someone else an indication as to what happened in college? Anyway, I don't care, I'm just going to take her at face value for now, and she didn't annoy me at all.

Looking forward to the last 3 and seeing how it all pans out.

Franzi86

Franzi86

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 26, 2011 @ 5:22 AM

Anne Archibald is awesome. Mean, but awesome.

The Louis/Blair kiss with the glittering star-like flashes was so ridiculous and OTT that I'm convinced that was not supposed to be taken seriously. I think they're just trying really hard to push the "this is like a fairytale" angle. Make it so obvious that really everyone gets it. Which then makes me hopeful for DB since fairytales aren't real and Blair will get that the prince and all that isn't really as amazing as she thinks it is. (Yes, my shipper goggles are firmly in place)

I was actually mildly interested in the Raina/Chuck/Nate storyline but I do wish they'd move that one a bit faster. I feel like the episodes come to a screeching halt everytime Raina and Nate show up on the screen. And this is coming from someone who generally likes Nate.

Maybe this is my Dair-shipperheart hearing things but when Blair told Charlie "This is Dan Humphrey, Serena's ex-boyfriend, which makes him off-limits to you," I swear Blair made a pause before "to you".

There was something weird about that last scene with Charlie and Dan. First I thought it was just a contrived way of either bringing up the baby yet again (nursery) or getting Charlie out of the room for V and Dan's scene. But then I rewatched it because someone mentioned that it looked like she had something in her hand behind her back and I agree. I'm wondering what I could be, and if it has any relevance that Dan said "it's a pretty personal living space." (I also noticed that when Charlie walks out of the office, her beer is in her left hand, but during the close-up it's in her right hand for a second and then it jumps back to the left, but I doubt that's relevant lol)