Finally watched the episode! I have very mixed feelings on this one, TBH. It sort of left me with a ? on my mind after watching it.
- Obviously, the Blair/Dan scenes are great...I just wish there were more of it! (I'll analyze these later, it's late) The shopping scene's my favorite. But, so many cute shots of them looking stunning together. And making the cutest faces ever.
- though I really loved the part where they were holding hands in front of Penelope. Just so darn cute it just makes no sense why the show wouldn't pursue this. And Blair's seems very into touching Dan in this episode. That's also cute.
- S/B/D scene I would have liked better if Dan walking away from that convo was done better somehow. When I watched it, it just seemed like because the show wanted SB to have a talk alone, they had to write Dan walking out after Serena declares them not friends. I did however, love everything else about that scene. DB are just too adorable for words in there.
- IDK what to think of Serena. Mostly, I think Blake's being really lazy on her acting - it's like she checked out entirely - which is why I don't care one way or another whether Serena was justified in her blow up or not. I like Blair standing up for herself, but the scene was less good than I anticipated.
- I don't think Dan calling Vanessa was at all a 'flirty' type call or a booty call at all. Given the episode was basically about Dan handling how to be a friend with Blair (which I think shows in his demeanor with Blair throughout the episode. It was almost a bit like a flipside of 4x18 where I thought Blair was being softer, and now in this episode, Dan is still saying snarky things, but it feels distinctly softer/conflicted) , it would make sense that Rufus' reminder of Vanessa that morning, and then seeing Blair on a date - with a prince, no less - would trigger him to call upon an old friend - because if he could fix things with Vanessa and have her back as a friend, then maybe he could handle being Blair's friend better, what with all the feelings and all.
- I like the idea that it was because Blair gave him credit on the blog Dan wrote for her that led him to Paris Match, which Dan turns down immediately after realizing Blair's in the story. (And Blair was also quick to refuse the idea that Dan betrayed her - though of course she'd use that to her advantage to rope him into a scheme to right things. But I like that they have a good trust thing going on...which I imagine would be important in the final eps. *hope*. )
- On the other hand, have no clue how to make of those Charlie scenes. I'm biased, but I really hate how she's just randomly jammed in there in the final scenes with Dan admitting he likes Blair and can't handle being her friend. I think the scene could be written better, though I did like how Dan was holding the tie Blair gave him when he said his lines. But Charlie was just so meh in that scene - I get the setup, but it was just so sloppy.
- And yes, that office line was definitely weird, which means it's important, I guess. If that room is a gauge on how Dan is changing, then I assume the office will become something else by the end of the season. Which worries me, since the only time scenes are shot in that office (though maybe I'm forgetting other ones) are both Blair related (Vday and Dan/Eric). Charlie going in could either be sloppy writing (plot device just so Vanessa doesn't see Charlie in there, at least for now), or Charlie being into/creepy about Dan, so she wants to connect with Dan via his office or some crap.
- But they obviously share some interests, with the short snippet of convo during the pink party. I do think Blair was saying all that "you can't date Dan because of Serena" not only to Charlie, but herself as well. This is Blair still in deep denial (especially now she has a prince to lay all her Dan feelings on), so maybe subconsciously she's saying all that as a 'lay off my Dan' thing, but I thought it read more as a "see, Dan? That is why I will never date you." statement.
- Visually, the mirror scene with DB was nice. I like how she steps away and you see Dan reflected in the mirror. I have a little pet theory that if we see Blair applying lipstick or something to her lips yet again in the next episode, then they're once again reminding us of The Kiss. I mean, there must be other things Blair can do in front of a mirror in her scenes, right? And here we have 18 and 19 both featuring Blair and her lipstick ritual.
- I really need to see this second kiss too now. I mean, this is just getting cruel. Even in that tiny screen, Dan was definitely very much into kissing Blair, so I don't see any reason for the show to be withholding all the reactions from their kisses unless it's to hide the fact that Blair likes it. Which we do see in the prince kiss, but man, was that shot not romantic at all with the crazy shiny crap in the background. Here we have the staged DB kiss that ends up being rather private (in terms of that we don't see the actual kiss happen on the show), and a 'real' BL kiss that was shown as anything but private (with the highlighting of the paps and general hamminess to the shot).
- Louis? Cute and completely unmemorable. But yeah, that boy is really rushing their romance for a reason. Just one day, and he's ready to declare his undying love for her (and requesting her to do the same for him) before allowing themselves to be not hidden.
- I totally LOLed when Dan stands Vanessa up without any thought to go hang with Blair at PS. I think with Dan in this episode, his expressions are harder to read than in 4x18 where he's all crushy, but his actions are still very much in tune with his feelings for Blair.
- Ah, smell seems decisively involved again. Not only do we have specific lines about smell, but there's also that funny and rather cute shot of Dan smelling the wine/champagne when he walked into the party. Sort of his sense are picking up on the allure of Blair's perfume and the UES instead of pork and cheese in the old days?
- So Blair thought the kiss was lifechanging, then a makeout, and now the biggest mistake of her life? Girl needs to settle on one definition if she wants to keep being in denial about it.
- I sort of FF a lot of the Raina/Nate/Chuck and Lily/Rufus stuff. Anything important to note? LMAO on Chuck having a pocket square on his ROBE. What a jackass.
ETA: I apologize for the ridiculous length of this post.
Edited by Can Attack, Apr 26, 2011 @ 1:43 AM.