Elijah/Elena: Can I Trust You? Can *I* Trust YOU?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

39 replies to this topic

Albion19

Albion19

Video Archivist

Posted Feb 18, 2012 @ 1:54 PM

One Question: Why does not think that it's in Elena's nature to lie? She has proven that she is untrustworthy to him and to his baby sister. As he said when speaking to Rebekah, "I used your hatred of her..." Rebekah surely told him why she tried to kill Elena. Does Elijah ride the short bus?

I guess he's basing those character traits on what he has personally seen. He's seen her being selfless, brave and compassionate etc. She did lie to his face so he might be letting his feelings cloud his judgement a bit. If you read Daniel's interviews he paints Elijah as someone who holds Elena in very high esteem.

People might not see her that way but I think Elijah does.

Edited by Albion19, Feb 18, 2012 @ 1:57 PM.

newms

newms

Loyal Viewer

Posted Feb 18, 2012 @ 2:33 PM

I never got into Elena and Elijah but that letter? Was so wonderful and heartbreaking. I need him to hurry back

I hated that letter. It somewhat ruined Elijah's character for me. He is far too cool and detached to fall for some 18 year old human girl. I'm not even talking about them in the romantic sense. Even as a guide, mentor, friend, or whatever, Elijah shouldn't' be looking up to as I said... an 18 year old human girl.

DigiKing

DigiKing

Fanatic

Posted Feb 18, 2012 @ 9:50 PM

I think the thing is that Elijah values Elena's humanity. Like he said to Rebekah, they didn't have to turn into monsters. So I can believe that, faced with Esther's indictment of him, he might be more open to looking on her with wonder.

Plus, she's the doppelganger of the woman he loved.

RKMK

RKMK

Channel Surfer

Posted Feb 18, 2012 @ 10:20 PM

Elena doesn't like to be deceitful or dishonest. She's done it, on occasion, due to circumstances and in acts of preservation (self, or friends and family), but she doesn't enjoy doing it, and feels guilt/remorse/discomfort for having done so. But her natural setting is being above-board and honest; Katherine, for example, would have watched Elijah drink the champagne with cool nonchalance, even clinked his glass in a toast.

Edited by RKMK, Feb 19, 2012 @ 7:53 AM.

Blue32

Blue32

Fanatic

Posted Feb 18, 2012 @ 11:47 PM

I really like this dynamic. The recaplet described it as "non-romantic romance," which sounds about right. There's an interesting kind of...simultaneous closeness and distance with them. The closeness is from their connection and weird familiarity/comfort level with each other (at least how Elena is acting in 3x14 and 3x15, like he's an old family friend or something...which, in a way, I suppose he is). The distance is from his kind of courtly aloofness and the very clear boundaries between them establishing their relationship as completely platonic. Even the letter at the end wasn't romantic, really, though I could see how some might interpret it that way, and writing her a letter by way of apology and goodbye was another way of honouring the clear boundaries established.

...With all that said, the scene in 2x08 where Elijah leaned in as if to kiss Elena and then smelled her neck to determine whether she was human was one of the hottest things I've ever seen on this show.

Edited by Blue32, Feb 18, 2012 @ 11:54 PM.

Mathilda

Mathilda

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 25, 2012 @ 7:14 AM

I could get on board with this. I do not ship Elena with either of the Salvatore brothers because, frankly, they both annoy the hell out of me. Elijah however is very intriguing. He's capable of great violence like you'd expect a vampire to be but he's not pointlessly killing people, running around ripping open necks for the hell of it. But he also seems to have a lot of self-awareness; he can reflect on himself without becoming a preachy drama queen. I think he and Elena have an understanding of each other. I think she appreciates his strengths as a man and sympathizes with his flaws (because in a lot of ways they are very similar to her own). Meanwhile I think Elijah appreciates her ability to be compassionate and feel remorseful over even the most justified of acts.

The distance is from his kind of courtly aloofness and the very clear boundaries between them establishing their relationship as completely platonic.

It's interesting because I agree that they've established a platonic relationship because Elena of course doesn't see him that way and while Elijah does see her that way, he won't press the issue. I saw a comment that the actor Daniel Gillies (?) made about how Elijah wouldn't make a move on Elena unless she somehow signaled that she was interested. How refreshing!

Also, I liked Elena best during their scenes/episodes in the second season. I thought she was her most pro-active and least tolerant of Salvatore bullshit then. That's when she reminded me most of her season one self.

Albion19

Albion19

Video Archivist

Posted Feb 25, 2012 @ 9:02 AM

Elena of course doesn't see him that way and while Elijah does see her that way, he won't press the issue

I love that about this paring, everything is unsaid. He's fallen for her but she's so wrapped up in the Salvatores to really give it any thought. It's a shame because I do think they're very suited but I like that he'd never say anything unless his feelings were reciprocated.

Mathilda

Mathilda

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 25, 2012 @ 1:10 PM

I forgot to mention the letter! I really liked that he did that. Too many characters don't apologize on this show so I was glad to see that he did. It was a nice letter and I'm glad he didn't do some pushy in-person thing.

It's a shame because I do think they're very suited but I like that he'd never say anything unless his feelings were reciprocated.

Agreed; he and Elena seem very suited for each other in a way. I think that if Elena was able to stay alive for the next ten years or so (unless one of the Salvatores gets her killed first, which is a strong possibility) and then she and Elijah met back up? I could absolutely see it becoming a thing. Not that it couldn't happen now but there's just so much drama and I would like to see Elena spend some time single.

Nina Dobrev and Daniel Gillies have great chemistry though I think it's hilarious how they only, imo, have chemistry as Elena and Elijah. I wonder how Nina does that because I think she only really has chemistry with Paul Wesley and Ian Somerhalder when she's playing Katherine, and chemistry with Joseph Morgan when she's playing Elena but not Katherine. Weird. I guess character compatibility makes all the difference in the world.

BloodyCharity

BloodyCharity

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 20, 2012 @ 7:34 PM

Hee, Elijah is currently at 9% on "Who should Elena choose" poll in the latest recap, beating every other contender (herself, Stefan and Alaric) except Damon (who's at 79%, but still).

Albion19

Albion19

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 21, 2012 @ 6:17 AM

That's great! I think this couple is definitely getting more supporters.