Gazing into the Flames: Previews

• Please log in to reply

51 replies to this topic

Barbarossa

Barbarossa

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 22, 2011 @ 11:32 AM

Since a few other TWOP shows have preview discussion thread I thought I'd start one. Due to the material being discussed there will be spoilers and speculation abound within.

For episode 2 "The Kings Road" HBO has released the typical preview plus a couple of scene clips: The offical one,New Jaime/Jon scene,Dany& Her handmaidens|

The second clip is obviously the lead-up to the much advertised Daenerys/Doreah "sex lesson" but I'm glad they kept that story about the Dragons from the book.

While the interaction between Jon and Jaime is new to the series I thinks its based on the scenes with Joffrey, Robb, Sandor, and Jon watching Bran and Tommen sparring. NCW brings the arrogant Bloodknight douchebag tendencies of Jaime to life here.

Squaresville

Squaresville

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 22, 2011 @ 11:38 AM

The scene between Jon and Jaime manages to convey quite a lot of information (about the Night's Watch and the Wall) and develop the relationship between the two characters (and their respective families). It works.

Danny Franks

Danny Franks

Stalker

Posted Apr 22, 2011 @ 12:26 PM

I really like the Jon/Jaime clip. It's a nice moment to add, especially when you consider Jon's immediate impression of Jaime in the book. "This is what a king should look like".

But, I love that I can't quite tell if Jaime is warning Jon that he's making a mistake, in a typically passive aggressive, veiled Jaime manner, or if he's simply being a bastard to the bastard. Honestly, I think it's a combination of both.

And, as pointed out, it drops a fair bit of exposition about the Nights Watch, and foreshadows the disappointment that Jon is going to experience when he finds out that not all Nights Watch men are like Benjen Stark.

The scene with Dany is a fun moment, and I do like that she's already showing a little of the authority she's going to need. I guess the easiest place to start is with her handmaidens. From a strictly heterosexual male point of view, I think I'm going to enjoy the Dany/Doreah 'education' scene. Both very fine looking women.

velo

velo

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 22, 2011 @ 1:31 PM

That Jaime and Jon clip is fantastic, definitely sold on NCW as Jaime after that.

The Dany clip was pretty good too =)

Mormegil

Mormegil

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 22, 2011 @ 1:34 PM

Two other Episode 2 Clips were released a while back as rewards on The Maesters Path.

Jon/Arya and Ned/Robert.

This Tyrion Clip may well be Episode 2 as well.

Kalbear

Kalbear

Stalker

Posted Apr 22, 2011 @ 2:41 PM

I'm so hearting Maisey as Arya. That's by far my favorite casting choice they've done.

ctas

ctas

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 22, 2011 @ 2:49 PM

I thinks its based on the scenes with Joffrey, Robb, Sandor, and Jon watching Bran and Tommen sparring.

Since I've seen episode 2, I'm spoiler tagging very mild spoiler regarding those two scenes: in fact, neither scene is in the episode. There is instead a Joffrey/Hound/Tyrion scene (slapping from various previews) but neither moment shows up.

Marq DeCarabas

Marq DeCarabas

Fanatic

Posted Apr 22, 2011 @ 4:49 PM

Wait ctas I'm confused Are you saying neither of the clips barbarossa links from the youtube page of hbo saying they are kingsroad preview clips are actually in the episode?

Edited by Marq DeCarabas, Apr 22, 2011 @ 5:47 PM.

ctas

ctas

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 23, 2011 @ 11:49 AM

No, my comment is regarding the comment quoted about book scenes with Joffrey/Robb/Sandor. Of course the Kingsroad promo clips are in it! Hahah I just confused everyone, sorry!

Barbarossa

Barbarossa

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 29, 2011 @ 4:36 PM

In continuing as my self-appointed role of preview clip provider.

Ned&Jaime discussing Aerys and ned's brother and father's death
Jon training

Danny Franks

Danny Franks

Stalker

Posted Apr 29, 2011 @ 6:08 PM

That scene with Ned and Jaime is very interesting. New for the show, but it feels like it's taken quite a few bits from various parts of the books. Particularly from Jaime's POV chapters.

I like Jaime's line about "five hundred men stood here and watched". It's not a change from the books, because I don't think they ever describe exactly who was there when Brandon and Rickard died. But it does put Jaime's inaction into perspective a little. No one stood up against Aerys' madness.

It feels like Jaime's actually looking for acceptance or understanding from Ned. And that was something I got from the books as well. He never voiced it, but that memory of Ned disdaining him in the throne room always felt like one that was very sharp and cutting for Jaime.

And of course, Ned's contempt shines through again here. It's very much like him to point out that Jaime served faithfully, until it was safe not to.

Mormegil

Mormegil

Couch Potato

Posted May 5, 2011 @ 5:04 PM

Sneak peek of Episode 4.

A Tyrion/Theon scene.

kieran555

kieran555

Fanatic

Posted May 5, 2011 @ 5:11 PM

Ah, excellent. I was wondering when we'd finally get told who Theon was, and that was a well delivered infodump I think.

Edited by kieran555, May 5, 2011 @ 5:11 PM.

Haldebrandt

Haldebrandt

Couch Potato

Posted May 5, 2011 @ 5:15 PM

That's a lot of exposition in one conversation. I can already picture non-readers going "huh?" Even I had to watch it twice to get everything! It might have been wise to have thrown the word "hostage" in there.

On the other hand, in all fairness, I can't say to an absolute certainty that I fully understood who Theon was before CoK.

Edited by Haldebrandt, May 5, 2011 @ 5:20 PM.

kieran555

kieran555

Fanatic

Posted May 5, 2011 @ 5:27 PM

Even I had to watch it twice to get everything! It might have been wise to have thrown the word "hostage" in there.

Tyrion does say 'your captors', which has the same impact, but I missed it first time around myself in fairness. Agreed it's a lot to take in a scene. Hopefully there won't be too many flat out expositionary scenes in the episode, enabling this one to be absorbed easier. Otherwise it's all, 'Greyjoys? Balon Greyjoy? Another rebellion? 'Your people'? Who are they?

Actually, come to think of it, that will be the case even if someone gets down a transcript of the exchange. Oh well.

Edited by kieran555, May 5, 2011 @ 5:29 PM.

bluemeanies42

bluemeanies42

Video Archivist

Posted May 5, 2011 @ 5:31 PM

'nothing better than watching sailors burn' - great line from Tyrion there.

Shiny Objects

Shiny Objects

Couch Potato

Posted May 5, 2011 @ 5:47 PM

What a great preview. Lots of information in that exchange, so I'm hoping it's not too confusing to people to add *yet another* character's backstory into the mix.

quarks

quarks

Couch Potato

Posted May 5, 2011 @ 8:20 PM

Finally! We can call him Theon instead of "guy who wanted to kill the puppies," which, while memorable and accurate, is awfully long.

Mormegil

Mormegil

Couch Potato

Posted May 6, 2011 @ 1:19 PM

Sansa/Septa Mordane clip.

Jayne Poole gets a namecheck.

Edited by Mormegil, May 6, 2011 @ 1:20 PM.

Mormegil

Mormegil

Couch Potato

Posted May 12, 2011 @ 2:45 PM

Ned/Ser Barristan preview.

kieran555

kieran555

Fanatic

Posted May 12, 2011 @ 3:26 PM

Much obliged Mormegil. Ser Barristan gets a name, some more history on Robert's Rebellion and Robert apparently wanting to joust - interesting. A shame it looks like we won't get any Melee in that case - I guess cost was a factor there

Barbarossa

Barbarossa

Couch Potato

Posted May 12, 2011 @ 5:30 PM

Hm seems like it would've been a good place for a mention of fighting 4 Kingsguard members at the Tower of Joy. Ah well.

Interesting that Lord Rickard thought Ser Barristan was the greatest knight he'd ever seen

Edited by Barbarossa, May 12, 2011 @ 6:37 PM.

Sad Doctor

Sad Doctor

Couch Potato

Posted May 12, 2011 @ 6:30 PM

Interesting that Lord Rickon thought Ser Barristan was the greatest knight he'd ever seen

Yeah, especially considering in the books Arthur Dayne is pretty much considered the Chuck Norris of knighthood. One of the other, younger Daynes even complains that all anyone wants to ask him about is his uncle. Granted in plot terms Dayne really never matters, and it'd be confusing for viewers, but still... Maybe we can get a Jaime monologue on him sometime.

Maximum Taco

Maximum Taco

Fanatic

Posted May 13, 2011 @ 1:01 PM

Hm seems like it would've been a good place for a mention of fighting 4 Kingsguard members at the Tower of Joy. Ah well.

Nitpick. Only 3. Eddard met Arthur Dayne, Gerold Hightower and Oswell Whent at the Tower of Joy. Jonathor Darry, Lewyn Martell and Barristan all fell at the Trident, and Jaime of course was in King's Landing.

Also probably wasn't a desirable topic of conversation for either of them. "HEY! Remember when you killed my brothers in arms? The men I respected the most? You were AWESOME!!"

Yeah, especially considering in the books Arthur Dayne is pretty much considered the Chuck Norris of knighthood. One of the other, younger Daynes even complains that all anyone wants to ask him about is his uncle. Granted in plot terms Dayne really never matters, and it'd be confusing for viewers, but still... Maybe we can get a Jaime monologue on him sometime.

I'm still hoping for a Tower of Joy flashback. At least to see Dawn shining in Arthur Dayne's hands.

Edited by Maximum Taco, May 13, 2011 @ 1:03 PM.

revelation

revelation

Video Archivist

Posted May 13, 2011 @ 2:54 PM

Ned's father is of an age to have seen Barristan the Bold at his peak. I think he was already possibly past his peak by the time of Robert's Rebellion when Ser Arthur Dayne was regarded as the top knight at that time. Or maybe Ned's father never actually saw the Sword of the Morning fight. Ned is probably older than Arthur Dayne too. I am assuming Ned was about the same age as Ashara Dayne, who was older than her brother Arthur.

Haldebrandt

Haldebrandt

Couch Potato

Posted May 13, 2011 @ 3:31 PM

Gyyaaaahh where is preview #2, they are usually both released on Thursdays.

Haldebrandt

Haldebrandt

Couch Potato

Posted May 19, 2011 @ 1:33 PM

Clip for Sunday: http://www.youtube.c...h?v=lR-Kga-XDZc

12 secs? Good grief, they are becoming really stingy with these. Last week they only had one clip instead of the usual 2.

Edited by Haldebrandt, May 19, 2011 @ 1:35 PM.

Sad Doctor

Sad Doctor

Couch Potato

Posted May 19, 2011 @ 1:43 PM

When you're with your dolls and keetens!

Hee

Mormegil

Mormegil

Couch Potato

Posted May 19, 2011 @ 2:06 PM

Promo for HBO.GO with clips from Ep6 and Ep7.

Haldebrandt

Haldebrandt

Couch Potato

Posted May 19, 2011 @ 5:43 PM

Much better, thanks!

Another preview: http://www.youtube.c...nel_video_title