ANT Farm

• Please log in to reply

102 replies to this topic

Magog

Magog

Fanatic

Posted Apr 20, 2011 @ 6:09 PM

ANT Farm is a new Disney Channel show that will air this summer. It stars Chyna Parks (China Anne McClain) & her friends, Olive (Sierra McCormick), Fletcher (Jake Scott), & Lexi (Stefanie Scott) being middle-schoolers in a gifted-program in high school called the ANT (Advanced Natural Talent) program. The show will be about them adjusting to their new enviornment.

Here is a little preview of ANT Farm.

Disney Channel - ANT Farm preview

I didn't know that China used to be on Tyler Perry's House of Payne. This new show has to be an improvement over that garbage.

Edited by Magog, Apr 20, 2011 @ 6:11 PM.

redshirtx

redshirtx

Fanatic

Posted Apr 20, 2011 @ 7:04 PM

It happens--Doc Shaw was also on House of Payne before he jumped to DC. (You'd think they'd go the other way network-wise, but hey.)

That preview doesn't make the show look bad, though it certainly looks like it's skewing even younger than Shake It Up! does. (Almost like a pre-teen Victorious.) And DC said in a channel promo that a "sneak preview," presumably the pilot episode, of ANT Farm will air after the until-told-otherwise final episode of The Suite Life On Deck, on May 6. Hey, it worked for Shake It Up! and Pair of Kings...

BaltimoreTom

BaltimoreTom

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 21, 2011 @ 2:10 PM

Do NOT even kid about The Suite Life on Crack finally being over -- the only thing I want more is to see the ship hit an iceberg

McKay

McKay

Stalker

Posted Apr 23, 2011 @ 5:02 PM

The promo looks cute, but the description had me hoping that we might get a show where, for once, an unusually gifted child might not be completely socially inept. No such luck. Is it really impossible for a character to be smart and popular? But personal pet peeves aside, anything is an improvement over Suite Life.

(Also, I finally realized why that blonde girl seems so familiar. She was one of the little eggheads on Are You Smarter Than a Fifth Grader?)

KerleyQ

KerleyQ

Stalker

Posted Apr 24, 2011 @ 1:28 PM

Do NOT even kid about The Suite Life on Crack finally being over -- the only thing I want more is to see the ship hit an iceberg

I'm pretty sure it's over. The twins have moved out East to go to school and Debby Ryan (Bailey) has another series coming up on Disney Channel.

Is this the series that Loni Love has a role in? I know she's been filming a DC show, but I don't know if I've ever caught the title.

Magog

Magog

Fanatic

Posted Apr 26, 2011 @ 6:23 PM

Debby Ryan (Bailey) has another series coming up on Disney Channel.

She will be the star of that show called Jessie & it will air in the Fall.

Here is another promo for ANT Farm.

ANT Farm promo

Magog

Magog

Fanatic

Posted May 12, 2011 @ 11:14 PM

Did anybody see the pilot episode? I thought it was kind of OK. Chyna was very likable & actually entertaining. Even though I don't like dumb characters on Disney Channel (London Tipton (Suite Life), Keely (POTF), Chelsea (TSR), Newt (Cory in the House), PJ (Good Luck Charlie) & Ce Ce (Shake It Up)), I find Olive to be somewhat dumb, but very funny. She's also kind of pretty. As for Fletcher, he's OK. He's not as funny as Olive, but he's also not very annoying.

Overall, the episode was OK in my book & I might actually enjoy this show when it starts airing regularly on Disney Channel on June 17.

Edited by Magog, May 12, 2011 @ 11:22 PM.

redshirtx

redshirtx

Fanatic

Posted May 22, 2011 @ 10:06 PM

DC reaired the first episode tonight. It was a mixed bag, but a little more warped than I expected (Olive's running dress/breasts gag, the mouse); it has potential, though for all the world I was reminded of True Jackson, VP for most of the episode.

shego219

shego219

Video Archivist

Posted Jun 25, 2011 @ 10:40 AM

I just saw a re-run of the pilot, and I have to admit (even though I'm about double the age of the intended viewer) I laughed out loud a lot. Since I've never seen "True Jackson, VP" I can't really compare it to that, but I'm already getting a "Hannah Montana" vibe (with Chyna as Miley, Olive as Lily, and Fletcher as Oliver).

The most hilarious moments for me were Olive's Eliza Doolittle impression and Jesse and Chyna's dad finding the wax dummies in the bedroom. Also, I'm glad to see the show's already getting crap past the radar with magician!Fletcher "establishing a physical contact" with Paisley and the joke about the police officier who "really couldn't diffuse a bomb."

Also, China seems like a genuinely talented musician.

Edit: Oh holy crap, I just found out Finesse Mitchell is playing Chyna's dad! Now I'm remembering him on "Saturday Night Live" and feeling even older...

Edited by shego219, Jun 25, 2011 @ 10:43 AM.

Magog

Magog

Fanatic

Posted Aug 13, 2011 @ 2:53 PM

I'm really enjoying ANT Farm a lot lately. Chyna is a pretty good singer & I like her personality on the show. She also doesn't let a loser like Lexi keep her down.

Fletcher is very charming & innocent. I love it that he doesn't hide his crush on Chyna. I just wish that Chyna would just notice it. They'll make a nice couple.

Olive is becoming my favorite character of the show. She's like the smart version of Debbie Berwick (Phil of the Future). It also doesn't hurt that (just like Berwick) she is very funny & adorable.

Cameron is pretty funny, though I don't like it when he was mean to Olive when he tried to scare her to move to another locker away from him. Other than that, he's pretty cool & pretty hilarious.

The one thing I can do without is Lexi. She's very mean & is not at all funny. I don't like her at all & she's a complete opposite of Olive & Paisley (another person who I really like.). She always treats her best friend Paisley & Chyna like crap. I really wish that Lexi would just go away.

Edited by Magog, Aug 13, 2011 @ 2:55 PM.

redshirtx

redshirtx

Fanatic

Posted Aug 13, 2011 @ 3:56 PM

Strangely, I don't mind Lexi that much. I do tend to consider her as less of a unique character, though, and more as one-half of the London Tipton archetype (the shallow and self-absorbed half) with Paisley as the other half. And I'm actually okay with that; Stefanie Scott and Allie Deberry manage to make it work, and it fits the show's skewed nature. (And after the episode SciANTs Fair I've come around to shego219's idea that the show has a faint Hannah Montana vibe to it, which probably reinforces why Olive tends to be such a lovably goofy character.)

Bitterswete

Bitterswete

Stalker

Posted Aug 13, 2011 @ 4:35 PM

The show can be pretty entertaining, definitely. And I think CAM has some pretty good comedic timing for someone so young. But so do a lot of the actors. Even the actress who plays Lexi. Her character might be unlikable a lot of the time, but the actress plays her well.

Olive tends to be such a lovably goofy character

Watching Olive be so goofy, sweet and innocent was very surreal for me at first since the actress played an evil, vicious little child on Supernatural. And did it darned well too. I especially remember one scene where she's wearing this cute, frilly dress covered with blood. And she explains, with a happy smile on her face, that the family pet was mean to her.

I'm just getting where I don't think of that (and other creepy things her Supernatural character did) every time I see Olive.

Speaking of Olive, I think she can be a little too loud and shrieky sometimes. I like her much better when she's more low-key, like in that ep where Lexi was trying to get into the school newspaper. I don't think Olive raised her voice or shrieked even once that episode, which I appreciated.

Edited by Bitterswete, Aug 13, 2011 @ 4:38 PM.

Slade347

Slade347

Fanatic

Posted Aug 14, 2011 @ 12:58 PM

There have been a couple plots involving Lexi and Chyna's brother. I've enjoyed those.

I think Chyna herself is still a little over the top, but she's getting better. As is the show.

Zeath

Zeath

Channel Surfer

Posted Aug 15, 2011 @ 11:06 AM

I like ANT Farm. It's like Hannah Montana without the double life. Hannah/Chyna both sing. Her best boy friend (boy who's her friend) has a crush on her but the girl doesn't like him back (Oliver/Fletcher). The strange brother (Cameron/Jackson). The embarrising dad. The bully. The interesting teacher. And the crazy but awesome best friend (Olive/Lily).

I don't really like the cheerleaders. The show would be better without them. Paisley is rude and unlikable to me. The way she hurt Chyna for the part in the play is just ridiculous. I don't really like that guy who likes Olive (the guy who's always sitting at his computer). Something about him just doesn't interest me. And Fletcher kind of annoys me.

It's an okay show overall. I've seen better but it's entertaining.

Bitterswete

Bitterswete

Stalker

Posted Aug 15, 2011 @ 11:57 AM

One thing I don't care for is how dumb the dad is. The show already has more than its fair share of dumb characters with Cameron, Paisley, Gisbon and, on occasion, Lexi. (Who at least have the excuse of being young.) Did they have to make the dad an immature idiot without a lick of common sense too?

Edited by Bitterswete, Aug 15, 2011 @ 11:57 AM.

redshirtx

redshirtx

Fanatic

Posted Aug 15, 2011 @ 2:19 PM

Darryl Parks strikes me as a weird cross between Robby Ray and Raven's dad from That's So Raven, which probably explains his general situational awareness. (Though he's still miles ahead of Cameron and Gibson, let alone poor pretty braindead Paisley.) It would be nice if he got to be a little more parental, though it's still pretty early in the show's run for it.

/random: while the Donkey Kong homage in last week's episode was probably instantly recognizable to the target audience (and surprisingly well-done in its simplicity) I'm wondering how many kids would get the Hindenburg reference...

redshirtx

redshirtx

Fanatic

Posted Aug 21, 2011 @ 5:19 PM

Well, this past episode kind of cemented it: Cameron really is Jackson from Hannah Montana, only with bonus Auto-Tune.

alikat1205

alikat1205

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 20, 2011 @ 7:35 PM

[I’m] watching the episode "Gibson fever" with my 9-year-old, with a guest appearance by Shelley Long (aka Diane Chambers from Cheers). Hard to believe I am this old, as was apparent when I saw her.

Edited by TWoP Howard, Sep 20, 2011 @ 8:03 PM.
Added capitals

Magog

Magog

Fanatic

Posted Nov 5, 2011 @ 3:06 PM

Except for Lexi, I'm still finding ANT Farm to be fun to watch.

I'm also finding Principal Skidmore to be very funny. She's always showing her disdain towards the A.N.T. students & she is absolutely hilarious.

Another character who (like Lexi) I'm starting to find very irritating & very unlikable is Angus. He is so dumb, not at all funny, & he almost makes Lexi likable in comparison. I also don't like that Angus has a crush on Olive. Its cute & endearing when Fletcher is showing his love for Chyna. Its terrible & revolting that Angus is showing his love for Olive. Such a smart, beautiful girl like Olive doesn't deserve to have a chump like Angus crushing on her. She can do so much better than Angus.

Edited by Magog, Nov 5, 2011 @ 3:06 PM.

redshirtx

redshirtx

Fanatic

Posted Nov 5, 2011 @ 7:32 PM

I'm not ready to call Angus the Woody Fiink of this show yet, but for me he definitely makes things better when he's on. Him and Paisley, for that matter (I still prefer her to Lexi, though they've made Lexi a little less obnoxious in the last few episodes).

newknight

newknight

Channel Surfer

Posted Nov 5, 2011 @ 8:26 PM

Another character who (like Lexi) I'm starting to find very irritating & very unlikable is Angus. He is so dumb, not at all funny, & he almost makes Lexi likable in comparison. I also don't like that Angus has a crush on Olive. Its cute & endearing when Fletcher is showing his love for Chyna. Its terrible & revolting that Angus is showing his love for Olive. Such a smart, beautiful girl like Olive doesn't deserve to have a chump like Angus crushing on her. She can do so much better than Angus.

I don't like Angus either but strangely I find him funnier than Fletcher. I will agree about his crush on Olive, its not 'revolting' to me but it just isn't funny and just feels unnecessary.

I think Ant Farm an ok show but I deoubt I'd watch if Paisley, Cameron and even Lexi wasn't part the show. I rather have more eps devoted to them as they seemed funnier.

And I hate the Principal character. She isn't funny and comes off as mean. I rather they have the Wolf get more scenes compare to her!

Bitterswete

Bitterswete

Stalker

Posted Nov 6, 2011 @ 12:06 PM

I think Angus is generally funny, and the little actor who plays him is a cutie. But I do get tired of all the, "Boy, he eats a lot!" jokes. I hope they find more things for Angus to talk about besides eating and being hungry.

KerleyQ

KerleyQ

Stalker

Posted Nov 6, 2011 @ 2:52 PM

But I do get tired of all the, "Boy, he eats a lot!" jokes. I hope they find more things for Angus to talk about besides eating and being hungry.

I agree. I kind of hate that a show aimed at this age group of kids is doing the "oh, ha ha, look how much the fat kid eats!" jokes. I think we all know a kid who eats like that, but it's not always the overweight kid. If they want to have a character who one of the jokes is "OMG, he won't stop eating!" it can be a skinny kid.

redshirtx

redshirtx

Fanatic

Posted Dec 19, 2011 @ 2:24 PM

Very belatedly: there are moments where it works (mutANT farm probably being the biggie), but I do agree that Angus's bottomless stomach is too easy of a go-to--see also America Needs TalANT. I'd rather see him crushing more on Olive, which seems to be very rare now, but that's me.

Ferrier

Ferrier

Channel Surfer

Posted Jan 12, 2012 @ 7:19 AM

I really, really, really LOVE Angus. I think he is a hilarious character, and i love his occasional humor. It's a shame he's only a recurring character, and for the confirmed season 2 i would love to see him upgraded to a main character in the show. Although Lexi and Paisley provide humor and squeaks sometimes, i hate them both, especially Lexi. Paisley i can bear with when she plays stupid, but Lexi is unbearable for me. Maybe its because of the 'evil' image that makes me dislike her. I don't really like Cameron as well, he's rather extravagant for me. I would like to see the series focus more on characters such as Angus. Currently, i really like the series and hope it continues to do well. The 'FraudulANT" episode was quite good.

redshirtx

redshirtx

Fanatic

Posted Jan 22, 2012 @ 6:34 PM

This past Friday's you're the one that I wANT was hilarious and awesome in its randomness. I'm still laughing at "Riddler on the Roof."

ladyrott

ladyrott

Stalker

Posted Apr 9, 2012 @ 11:14 AM

This show seems to be improving more with each episode. Lexie is still a mean girl, but not as over the top as when the series began. I love the friendship between Olive/Fletcher/Chyna. They need to work on Cameron's character a little more...he is still way too stupid.

Magog

Magog

Fanatic

Posted Apr 14, 2012 @ 1:14 PM

Its not a surprise that ANT Farm is getting a 2nd season.

This show seems to be improving more with each episode. Lexie is still a mean girl, but not as over the top as when the series began. I love the friendship between Olive/Fletcher/Chyna. They need to work on Cameron's character a little more...he is still way too stupid.

I like Cameron & I don't think he is as stupid as Lexi, Angus, & Gibson. At least Cameron can make me laugh from time to time.

Speaking of Gibson, he has certainly been getting on my nerves. He's just as horrible as Lexi & Angus. There is nothing funny about him & he's not as charming like Pricipal Skidmore. I would rather have Wacky the Wolf be the teacher of ANT Farm than Gibson.

ladyrott

ladyrott

Stalker

Posted Apr 15, 2012 @ 10:45 PM

Speaking of Gibson, he has certainly been getting on my nerves.

Amen to that! He is over the top stupid and not in a funny way. Every time he walks on screen I cringe.

shego219

shego219

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 16, 2012 @ 9:56 AM

This past Friday's you're the one that I wANT was hilarious and awesome in its randomness. I'm still laughing at "Riddler on the Roof."

I love Batman almost as much as I love "Fiddler on the Roof," so naturally that clip was one of my favorite things on TV in the past decade. :D Most the hypothetical musicals in that episode were great -- "Grannie?" "The Sound of Muzak?" Fabulous.

The new episode last night definitely had its moments, too. Gibson's "That's how lions show affection -- by mauling little children!"; Angus's "You shouldn't be alone tonight" to a grieving Olive [how does this show get away with some of this stuff?]; the fact that after "Fletcher" was revealed to be Angus he went from having a small body to, well, Angus's body and nobody said anything about it.

I've always acknowledged China McClain is a good singer, but last night's episode also made me realize how talented she as an actress, too. I know that sounds pretty dumb considering the show is basically built around her, but I'd never really payed attention to her line delivery (particularly those Horatio Caine-esque one-liners) and her timing (Chyna and Olive's spat while ordering shawarma) until recently.

Edited by shego219, Apr 16, 2012 @ 9:56 AM.