Populating Westeros: Casting

• Please log in to reply

1668 replies to this topic

Barbarossa

Barbarossa

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 19, 2011 @ 10:40 AM

Not the best title, and I'm more than willing to take suggestions.

Anyway with the announcement that a second season has been Green lit, I figured its never to early to discuss who will be filling the new roles from A Clash of Kings. Stannis Baratheon, Melisandre, Davos, Jaqen H'Gar, Rorge, Vargo Hoat etc etc

Edited by Barbarossa, Apr 19, 2011 @ 10:40 AM.

Shiny Objects

Shiny Objects

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 19, 2011 @ 10:45 AM

Natalie Dormer for Melisandre, imo.

Mod Suit

Mod Suit

Fanatic

Posted Apr 19, 2011 @ 10:48 AM

Yes, please.

I can never decide if I like Mark Strong or Christopher Eccleston better as Stannis.

Azure Owl

Azure Owl

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 19, 2011 @ 10:54 AM

Shed be a fine choice, but I would really want them to cast someone that looks different from the average Westerosi. Shes from Asshai, halfway across the world. That should be obvious on sight.

I can never decide if I like Mark Strong or Christopher Eccleston better as Stannis.

Neither of them look like Robert and Renly though.

rimorob

rimorob

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 19, 2011 @ 11:06 AM

I'd love for Christopher Eccleston to be Stannis. That would be amazing. And someone mentioned Robert Carlyle as Davos and now I can't picture anyone else in my head.

I have no idea for who could play Melisandre.

Danny Franks

Danny Franks

Stalker

Posted Apr 19, 2011 @ 11:08 AM

Mark Strong would be a great Stannis, but he doesn't bear any resemblance to either Robert or Renly, so I'm not so sure if they'd go for him.

I always imagine Jaqen H'Gar to look like Ghassan Massoud, who played Saladin in Kingdom of Heaven. But he's probably too old, so someone younger who looks like him.

Javier Bardem or Vincent Cassell would both rock as Oberyn Martell, but are probably both too big to take the role. And Monica Bellucci as Elaria Sand. It's a shame that James Purefoy is in Camelot, because he could make a pretty good Red Viper, as well.

If they want to go for someone who looks clearly different than your average Westerosi, for Melisandre, then Padma Lakshmi would be a good choice. Or, I suppose she could play Lady Merryweather.

Mod Suit

Mod Suit

Fanatic

Posted Apr 19, 2011 @ 11:11 AM

Neither of them look like Robert and Renly though.

To be honest, I don't really think Robert and Renly look that much alike on the show.

I'm kind of worried that if they go with "exotic" for Mel, there will be a lot of backlash over the one exotic character being a seductive, evil witch.

Edited by Mod Suit, Apr 19, 2011 @ 11:13 AM.

Kalbear

Kalbear

Stalker

Posted Apr 19, 2011 @ 11:18 AM

And Monica Bellucci as Elaria Sand.

Right idea, wrong person. Monica's like 45 now. While the Sands are very sexy and all, I don't think you need to cast a renown foreign actress in a bit role that's 20 years under her actual age.

The key folks from the next book are Stannis, Melisandre and Davos. I'd be very happy if Mel was actually cast as someone of a different ethnicity; it always bugged me that she was basically right out of the North or the Riverlands despite hailing from Asshai. An Indian would likely work, as would someone from the Far East. I don't think Padma's particularly a good actress, though, and I don't think she's particularly fierce like Mel is.

I'm kind of worried that if they go with "exotic" for Mel, there will be a lot of backlash over the one exotic character being a seductive, evil witch.

That's fair, I guess. And it is against her actual description which they've stayed very close to the books so far.

Edited by Kalbear, Apr 19, 2011 @ 11:19 AM.

Azure Owl

Azure Owl

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 19, 2011 @ 11:20 AM

To be honest, I don't really think Robert and Renly look that much alike on the show.

Fair enough.

This worries me too, but what I was thinking of was more in terms of facial structure rather than coloring. After all she still has to be a redhead and not all skin colors match properly with that without looking fake. And given the amount of bitching people have been doing about the Targaryen’s wigs.

And then there’s the added opportunity that they can get a unique looking actress to play Melisandre and don’t have to bother finding people that look like her to play the rest of her people. The only other Asshai'i to ever show up in the novels wears a mask all the time.

Edited by Azure Owl, Apr 20, 2011 @ 4:26 PM.

Barbarossa

Barbarossa

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 19, 2011 @ 11:26 AM

Right idea, wrong person. Monica's like 45 now. While the Sands are very sexy and all, I don't think you need to cast a renown foreign actress in a bit role that's 20 years under her actual age.

I don't think Elaria is that much younger than Oberyn. But they don't show up until A Storm of Swords anyways, so I think we may be getting a little ahead of ourselves

Mod Suit

Mod Suit

Fanatic

Posted Apr 19, 2011 @ 11:27 AM

Ellaria is Oberyn's lover. They should both be in their early 40s.

But they don't even appear until the third book.

Kalbear

Kalbear

Stalker

Posted Apr 19, 2011 @ 11:36 AM

Ellaria is younger than Oberyn by a bit, isn't she? She's the mother of the youngest sand snakes so she's not supposed to be too old, and the images I've seen for her aren't exactly mid-40s.

Anyway, she's a completely minor character in the third season regardless, and the Dornes aren't French or Italian. Casting huge name actors for amazingly tiny bit roles is a neat bit of fanwankery but not particularly likely.

Azure Owl

Azure Owl

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 19, 2011 @ 11:45 AM

If were thinking that far ahead, I always thought that James Purefoy would make a great Oberyn Martel, and hes not that big a name for the part.

ananti

ananti

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 19, 2011 @ 11:55 AM

Ellaria has 4 children with Oberyn, so she can't be that young. I'd guess in the mid 30s at least. But I'd agree she has a very minor role with almost no lines and they should just pick a random attractive extra to play her.

I can totally get one board with James Purefoy as Oberyn though.

Edited by ananti, Apr 19, 2011 @ 11:56 AM.

Kalbear

Kalbear

Stalker

Posted Apr 19, 2011 @ 11:57 AM

Assuming she had kids when most Westerosi do - around 18-20 - she'd be early 30s since the snakes are fairly young at this point. Which is still 10 years younger than Oberyn.

Barbarossa

Barbarossa

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 19, 2011 @ 12:04 PM

Thats what I always thought was about right for her.

Anyway back on the second season
After the Dragonstone Trio, the Greyjoys, as much as I dislike them, are the second most important characters introduced in aCoK, and unlike the 3 I honestly have no idea who would be a good Balon or Asha, and Aeron and Victarion aren't introduced until AFFC

Edited by Barbarossa, Apr 19, 2011 @ 12:06 PM.

Kalbear

Kalbear

Stalker

Posted Apr 19, 2011 @ 12:13 PM

I kind of hope that they scale down on the casting for the Greyjoys. If it comes to that, they can cast around AFFC time - but casting Asha now and then having that actress wait 3 years for her 'time' would suck and be logistically crappy as hell.

Of them, only Balon is really necessary for book 2, and while he has some important points he could be a fairly minor actor as far as things go. It'd be easy to scale back Theon's tale early on.

watchergirl

watchergirl

Fanatic

Posted Apr 19, 2011 @ 12:26 PM

Co-sign. She's been my number one pick for this for ages. She's beautiful, and a surprisingly great actress (Team Anne Boleyn forever!)

I'd be so into James Purefoy as the Red Viper [Barred for Camelot spoiler]: His character got killed in the second episode of Camelot, so he could totally do this - and now that someone's suggested it, I kind of can't see anything else.

I'd love Christopher Eccleston as Stannis, just because I adore him - but now that I'm thinking about it, I think he might be an even better Aeron later on.

Kalbear

Kalbear

Stalker

Posted Apr 19, 2011 @ 12:30 PM

The problem with Purefoy is that he wouldn't be in very much, and getting a big name for a small role is a great way to kill a budget. Same with Eccleston as Aeron (or any of the Greyjoys); if he's in only one or two eps that really hurts.

Eccleston as Stannis would be okay. It's hard for me to see him as being anything less than charming after Dr Who, so seeing him as this grim, dour guy would bug a bit. Same goes for the Rufus Sewell selection.

Azure Owl

Azure Owl

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 19, 2011 @ 12:39 PM

The problem with Purefoy is that he wouldn't be in very much, and getting a big name for a small role is a great way to kill a budget.

Purefoy isn't that big of a name really. That's one of the reasons I suggested him.

Danny Franks

Danny Franks

Stalker

Posted Apr 19, 2011 @ 12:47 PM

There is one more character, who would be introduced in season 2, though not until the last episode or two. Ygritte. I wonder what they'll go for there. The way Jon describes her makes me think of a Lily Allen type (apt, considering her brother is already in the show. But Lily is not an actress, so I'm not advocating she be cast). Quite pretty, but not what you'd call beautiful. Still, there's just something captivating.

What is it, "round, peasant face, pug nose and crooked teeth"? I hope she doesn't get the Hollywood treatment.

ananti

ananti

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 19, 2011 @ 12:49 PM

There is no way they won't pick somebody attractive to play Jon's love interest.

revelation

revelation

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 19, 2011 @ 12:57 PM

I was looking at the casting info for The Borgias and saw a pic of the actress who plays Julia Fornese, the Pope's new mistress. She is called Lotte Verbeek. I saw this pic of her on IMDB and immediately I thought of Melisandre. So she would get my vote for that role.

http://ia.media-imdb...X640_SY999_.jpg

Danny Franks

Danny Franks

Stalker

Posted Apr 19, 2011 @ 1:09 PM

There is no way they won't pick somebody attractive to play Jon's love interest.

Oh, I think Ygritte is attractive, but as I said, she's not supposed to be stunningly beautiful. So I hope they stay faithful to the book and don't cast some hot young starlet in the role. I don't think they will, but I guess beauty is always in the eye of the beholder anyway.

Lotte Verbeek does look like she might work very well for Melisandre. Red hair and exotic looks, all in one package. But if she's tied up with the Borgias (not literally... maybe) then I guess she's out of the game.

Barbarossa

Barbarossa

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 19, 2011 @ 1:18 PM

The problem with Purefoy is that he wouldn't be in very much, and getting a big name for a small role is a great way to kill a budget. Same with Eccleston as Aeron (or any of the Greyjoys); if he's in only one or two eps that really hurts.

Thats why as much as I want Alfred Molina for Doran Martell, I know it'll never happen.

TWoP Dietrich

TWoP Dietrich

TWoP Moderator

Posted Apr 19, 2011 @ 1:27 PM

This thread, being primarily concerned about casting for characters that haven't been on the show yet, is going to have some information from the books in it. If you haven't read the books and you're trying to remain completely unspoiled, this is not the thread for you.

Wyldemusick

Wyldemusick

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 19, 2011 @ 1:56 PM

Jumping ahead to book three, again...relatively minor part, but I could really see Helen Mirren as the Queen Of Thorns.

Stannis Baratheon, meanwhile? James Nesbitt.

A bit of a radical casting thought...Karen Gillan as either Asha Greyjoy, or as Ygritte, although she's also tall enough to squeak by as Brienne as well (although not blond, and not particularly ugly.) She has the physicality, and I suspect we'll soon be seeing her becoming more available given the usual limited run for a Who companion.

W. Morgan Shepphard for Craster. Just has to be.

true gamester

true gamester

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 19, 2011 @ 2:18 PM

Isn't the Queen of Thorns a lot older and more decrepit than Helen Mirren?

I wonder if Benioff will try to find a part for his wife Amanda Peet?

Azure Owl

Azure Owl

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 19, 2011 @ 2:24 PM

Jumping ahead to book three, again...relatively minor part, but I could really see Helen Mirren as the Queen Of Thorns.

She might be too young and too hot. Since its a small part they might get someone like Maggie Smith.

How's her British accent?

Danny Franks

Danny Franks

Stalker

Posted Apr 19, 2011 @ 2:34 PM

She can be the Sailor's Wife.

No, seriously, if she wants a part, there are any numbers of hangers on at the Court, and even more arrive with the Tyrells. But nothing more than that, I'd hope.