3-3: "Diners to Donors" 2011.04.20

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

77 replies to this topic

groundling

groundling

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 23, 2011 @ 12:09 AM

I was psyched that the top 2 dishes (of the elimination round) were vegetarian. It seems that vegetarian dishes are often considered secondary to meat dishes so it was nice to see the veggie dishes recognized when they went head to head against the seafood and even beef.

Also, Curtis stone in a t-shirt at the Quickfire looked sloppy. And I did not appreciate his dismissal of the bug food before he even tasted it. As a host, he should show leadership in being willing to try everything and show some enthusiasm at being given the opportunity to taste such food. And even though he is not a judge in the Quickfires, who knows how his (strong) opinions may affect those judges? I appreciate Padma not saying much when she does tastings in the Quickfires but lets the other judges take the lead on the response. His sloppy appearance and disdain for some of the dishes, before even trying them, was disrespectful of the chefs, the ingrediants, and the food as it was prepared. Never thought I would say it, but bring back Kelly! Or even Katie Lee from the first season of TC. They would have dressed appropriately and at least tried everything with some sort of decent attitude.

Edited by groundling, Apr 23, 2011 @ 12:21 AM.

ByTheWay

ByTheWay

Stalker

Posted Apr 23, 2011 @ 4:58 AM

John Currence Interviews By E!Online, Endless Simmer, Reality Wanted, and AllTopChef

ratgirlagogo

ratgirlagogo

Fanatic

Posted Apr 23, 2011 @ 11:12 AM

I was psyched that the top 2 dishes (of the elimination round) were vegetarian. It seems that vegetarian dishes are often considered secondary to meat dishes so it was nice to see the veggie dishes recognized when they went head to head against the seafood and even beef.

Yes, this always makes me happy too. I like that TCM is a show where using BACON doesn't automatically guarantee a win.

Having said that, though, it seems a bit much that a perfectly cooked classic (vegetarian) risotto would send a chef home.

annakam

annakam

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 23, 2011 @ 11:12 PM

I wasn't going to watch this season again, but I gave it one more chance with this episode. And it's worse than the first one. Stupid and pointless gimmicks galore, blah challenge, unappealing judges, Curtis flipping Stone behaving like a wuss at QF. I actually do like most of the chefs. I would have liked to see Suvir, Tracy, Mary Sue, Floyd, George, John, Naomi (though she annoys me) and Hugh on regular TCM. Alas, they wound up on this season.

Edited by annakam, Apr 23, 2011 @ 11:21 PM.

GoMocs

GoMocs

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 25, 2011 @ 8:46 AM

Was his risotto vegetarian, or did he use a meat broth?

Archery

Archery

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 25, 2011 @ 10:15 AM

My favorite part of the episode was Chef Suvir in the QF.

Female Judge: (snottily) Who was responsible for the hornworms in a jar???
Chef: I was raised a vegetarian Hindu. My hand can cook, but it cannot take a life.
Male Judge: 'S all good.

Love it.

TeresaDee

TeresaDee

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 25, 2011 @ 1:23 PM

Chef: I was raised a vegetarian Hindu. My hand can cook, but it cannot take a life.

Help me understand this, please. My daughter is an (animal rights-motivated) vegetarian, and she would never cook meat. He can't kill a worm, but he can prepare (and therefore encourage others to eat) animals that were killed by others? The animals he prepares did not die of natural causes. Is there a religious twist on this that I am missing?

Marlena

Marlena

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 25, 2011 @ 3:49 PM

I must be alone in my dislike of Chef Suvir. I really find him to be the walking embodiment of smug. He is all but eclipsing the other Indian chef (see? I can't even remember his name) with all of his pontificating. People can be vegetarian for all kinds of reasons, but he still comes off as preachy, to me.

This show is really testing my patience. I agree with whoever said that if Padma shows up in a bikini as a guest judge, the show has definately jumped the shark.

mavhayley

mavhayley

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 25, 2011 @ 4:22 PM

So far, my favorite chef by far is Suvir. I think it's fascinating that he's a chef that serves meat but is a vegetarian. And that he'll cook meat, but will not "take a life". And his snarkiness and tongue in cheek cockiness cracks me up!

Yes, Naomi is bossy and her picture of herself with a dead pig in her arms like a baby creeps me out to no end, but apparently she can cook, given that she's been in the top two weeks in a row when she's also been running the dining room both of those times.

The bugs were nasty. I couldn't watch that part. *shudder*

But I'll keep Curtis until the end ... even if he's not the best chef or critic, combine the looks with the accent and it's candy to the eyes and ears!!

Borpoh

Borpoh

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 25, 2011 @ 7:04 PM

He can't kill a worm, but he can prepare (and therefore encourage others to eat) animals that were killed by others? The animals he prepares did not die of natural causes. Is there a religious twist on this that I am missing?

I think the reasoning is that it is up to the diners to choose whether to eat meat or not. Which is kind of refreshing in an age where people tend to want to enforce their personal beliefs or choices onto others. I can't really see it as encouragement to eat meat, as the competition format basically tells them what they are to cook with. In a normal restaurant setting, it would be the customers ordering the meat. I don't think Suvir goes into the dining room and tells people they should order the lamb.

I think it's a "cheffy" attitude more than anything else. You are there to serve. To take it away from the moral/religious debate: if I don't like asparagus (hypothetically speaking, because I can't think of any food I don't like) then that doesn't mean I won't cook asparagus for guests at my dinner party.

I must be alone in my dislike of Chef Suvir. I really find him to be the walking embodiment of smug.

He does seem awfully smug. Although was it in the first episode that he was saying how he is Krisna's gift to food, but later turned that around on himself? It's difficult to tell if he's being self-depracating and sarcastic, his delivery is so dead-pan.

Mooncake76

Mooncake76

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 26, 2011 @ 2:41 AM

I was hoping Andrew Zimmern was going to show up and eat the bugs. I agree with whoever said that it seemed as if the woman judge could barely bring herself to eat them. IIRC, she even started out saying they had to eat bugs for survival reasons, not because they want to. Zimmern has a zest for trying weird things, so he would have been a much better judge for that challenge IMO.

I appreciate that things probably went so smoothly because Naomi took charge of things (it was a good idea to make sure there were no duplicate dishes for instance), but her bossy attitude would drive me NUTS if I had to work with her. I will bend over backwards for people if they ask me nicely, but as soon as someone becomes demanding, I feel myself digging my heels in. I can understand why she was rubbing her fellow chefs the wrong way.

Zackster

Zackster

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 26, 2011 @ 5:23 PM

He can't kill a worm, but he can prepare (and therefore encourage others to eat) animals that were killed by others? The animals he prepares did not die of natural causes. Is there a religious twist on this that I am missing?

I thought he explained it clearly: he cannot kill a living thing himself. This does not stop him from cooking things that are already dead.

kiki1234

kiki1234

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 26, 2011 @ 5:49 PM

Is there a religious twist on this that I am missing?

I think there is because at least twice now he's mentioned that he's a Hindu vegetarian. I found this:

It is called ahimsa, refraining from injuring - physically, mentally or emotionally - anyone or any living creature.

I couldn't find any information on why he can't kill or eat it but he can cook meat. Besides the obvious that it's already dead argument. To me it seems hypocritical.

The bugs were nasty. I couldn't watch that part. *shudder*

I pretty much watched that part thru my fingers. When the guest judge decided to kill the hook worm, the actual killing was covered up by the closed captioning on my tv but I heard it and my stomach dropped.

I must be alone in my dislike of Chef Suvir. I really find him to be the walking embodiment of smug. He is all but eclipsing the other Indian chef (see? I can't even remember his name) with all of his pontificating. People can be vegetarian for all kinds of reasons, but he still comes off as preachy, to me.

I dislike him too but not because he seems preachy. He seems sneaky and smug and I thought he was pretty whiney when they had to cook in that super small kitchen.

Edited by kiki1234, Apr 27, 2011 @ 2:39 AM.

morakot

morakot

Fanatic

Posted Apr 26, 2011 @ 8:24 PM

I appreciate that things probably went so smoothly because Naomi took charge of things (it was a good idea to make sure there were no duplicate dishes for instance), but her bossy attitude would drive me NUTS if I had to work with her.

I'm wondering if the same behavior (taking charge, making decisions about where things should go, setting up the dining room, talking to the serving staff) would seem less bossy to some viewers if one of the men (say Hugh) had done it?

kiki1234

kiki1234

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 27, 2011 @ 3:16 AM

I'm wondering if the same behavior (taking charge, making decisions about where things should go, setting up the dining room, talking to the serving staff) would seem less bossy to some viewers if one of the men (say Hugh) had done it?

I don't think it would have for the Masters. They're all use to running their own kitchens so it would have annoyed no matter who it was. For me personally it wouldn't have mattered either. It was just the way she went about it. She could have just taken a moment first to ask if anyone cared if she organized things or maybe not say 'if you can't hear me get closer'.

VirginiBound

VirginiBound

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 27, 2011 @ 5:27 AM

but her bossy attitude would drive me NUTS if I had to work with her. I will bend over backwards for people if they ask me nicely, but as soon as someone becomes demanding, I feel myself digging my heels in. I can understand why she was rubbing her fellow chefs the wrong way.

I did not see Naomi as demanding at all. I saw her as someone who automatically took control, in a very respectful, and matter of fact way. In so doing, organized 9 chefs of equal talent into a solid team.

She could have just taken a moment first to ask if anyone cared if she organized things or maybe not say 'if you can't hear me get closer'.

The problem with that strategy is, they ONLY had 3 hours which later turned to 2.5 hours. Every minute spent doing anything else other then prepping, shortened that very small window. All 10 of the chef are Masters. Hugh, even had immunity. Yet she was the only one who acted quickly. If some chefs feathers were ruffled, I say get over it. Naomi's focus was 100% the customer, not their feels.

As to her comment 'if you can't hear me get closer'. She did say that. To which I ask, and? Plus if you watch her, she also takes steps to bring herself closer.

I have worked BOH for years. Prior to becoming a cook, I was a nurses aid. I went from a predominately all female environment to a predominately all male environment. I very quickly learned the difference. Things said during the heat of service in a mostly male environment NEVER gets taken personally. Not true for most women dominated environments. I saw Naomi's actions as having one purpose ONLY. Deliver the best meal possible, which turned out to be the service from hell. Guess what, she not only did it, but won the night.

Again I'll quote Thomas Paine, " lead, follow, or get out of the way". Naomi lead, the rest followed, if a chefs precious feather were ruffled, I say get out of the way.

kiki1234

kiki1234

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 29, 2011 @ 2:44 PM

The problem with that strategy is, they ONLY had 3 hours which later turned to 2.5 hours.

C'mon now. Saying something like 'Anyone got a problem with me organizing things' would have taken about 10 seconds.

I saw her as someone who automatically took control, in a very respectful, and matter of fact way.

I have to disagree. Bulldozing over everyone isn't matter of fact. And she wasn't always that respectful during the challenge. After John agreed to do a hot app she barked at him "Start it, do it".

VirginiBound

VirginiBound

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 30, 2011 @ 7:15 AM

C'mon now. Saying something like 'Anyone got a problem with me organizing things' would have taken about 10 seconds.

Sure, saying that would. The process it would set into motion could take way longer. When time is of the essence, the last thing a group needs is a "decision by committee" process.

As Tom has often said, the word chef means leader. The name of the show is Top Chef Master. It seems to me, Naomi showed herself to be the chefs, chef. With no thought to consequence to herself, she jumped right in. Did she ruffle some precious feathers perhaps. To which I say, too bad. I love Hugh. He also had immunity. Why didn't he jump right in and say, "hey, I have immunity, I'll take control.

I am totally excited by Naomi. She shows both the skill, and leadership qualities necessary to be the next Top Chef Master.

I have to disagree. Bulldozing over everyone isn't matter of fact. And she wasn't always that respectful during the challenge. After John agreed to do a hot app she barked at him "Start it, do it".

Having not only worked the BOH in a fairly nice establishment, I also worked both counter and kitchen in a very successful fast food place. What Naomi exhibited during that challenge was a normal day in the kitchen. Things move fast. Things go wrong even faster. What may sound like a bark to you, sounded like someone who in the heat, both literally and figuratively of the moment, is just trying to get the job done. I heard nothing personal in the way Naomi spoke to them. Was it very matter of fact, absolutely. Was it rude, or mean, I certainly didn't get that. As to those chefs whose feathers were ruffled by Naomi, perhaps there are other issues at play.

Edited by VirginiBound, Apr 30, 2011 @ 7:38 AM.